The FFVII Mobile Game Initiative (2004-2008 Era)

Hey, is this still a thing? Found your posts by accident when looking for something else FF related... So, I actually bought the Dirge of Cerberus Amp'd Mobile bundle. It came with a phone (the RAZR is the one I had), the game pre-installed (or maybe it was a code or something - I don't recall exactly on that), and a stock figure of Vincent (the PlayArts one like this: http://images.comiccollectorlive.com/covers/0bc/0bca16af-b3d5-4f6e-9082-6899a605f9c3.jpg).

The game was tricky though because it came in episodes, and you could only have one episode at a time downloaded to the phone. I remember it being so weird to play a high-quality game on a flip phone. Like, those graphics were insane at the time. Blew the NGage (which is actually the phone I had previous to this one) out of the water. When you completed an episode, it'd require you to wait until the next one was downloaded before you could continue, and it'd erase the current one in the process. But when Amp'd shut down, I still had one of the episodes downloaded to the phone and could replay that one level over and over. I do not remember which level though.

As for what happened to the phone, there is a very slim chance I may still have it. Unfortunately, the vast majority of my possessions were stolen in 2008, but I recall seeing some old cell phones in some stuff as recently as 2016 when a lot of my things were put in storage. If ya'll are still looking for DoC: LE stuff let me know and I'll try to find some time to go dig through storage and see what I can find. I can't promise anything, but honestly, I need to go through storage and clean it up anyway.

Questions/Concerns:
Would the battery still work if charged?
Would the phone even still work? Is there anything in it that could degrade overtime even if not being used?
Have you found any on auction sites and are they actually worth anything?
Thank you for sharing!

I've always been curious about the Vincent action figure you could apparently get with Lost Episode. Happy to see you mention it.

9876.jpg

Do you know if the action figure was identical to that PlayArts one you linked or was it a different design?

Like Naoya said, the Kahvibreak Discord is a great place for technical help with old cell phones.
The English version of Lost Episode (which actually released before the Japanese one) has so far not been extracted. Having even a single episode extracted, archived and datamined would be a huge victory. It is reassuring to hear that you could play the same level over and over again without issue, at least back then.

NaoyaShinota

Pro Adventurer
UPDATE on FFVII Mobile preservation: A small step towards something bigger?

In 2007, AU distributed Before Crisis Final Fantasy VII for their BREW cell phones. AU phones run BREW games. And according to a TGS booklet I received a while ago and scanned, it is confirmed that BCFFVII is playable on devices that run on BREW 3.1 and up. For now, until someone comes to us and provides proof that it does not, this is what we are going with for now.

Recently three phones that could be compatible with BCFFVII and many other Japanese cell phone games can be dumped and fully extracted. These phones are:
CA005
W52SH
W64S

If we find BC FFVII on these phones or any other Japanese games on these phones, we can save them as these games are no longer accessible to download anymore. This goal is to save these games from extinction and to give everyone a chance to experience games that they missed out on.

If you have the phones I mentioned above and want to help, you can always DM me about this and we can help you. There are more phones being looked into. This is just difficult.
Yes, I am aware of Ever Crisis on the horizon and to include BC.... However, make no mistake about it. EC is not a replacement for any of the FFVII titles at all. If you want to play it that is fine, but EC is not an excuse to stop searching for BC or to stop asking SE for a BC port or remake of any kind.

W51H Update?
This phone is still being looked into. Many complications.

What about Softbank and Docomo Phones?
We still need help finding more documentation on the chips that are on the boards of these phones. Please DM if you have any info that might help us save games.

Radigar

Pro Adventurer
Amazing video, is stuning that so many years later someone still has this, i'm still impressed, sousi's recording quality is great. Thanks to all of you for not giving up in the search for these and others little treasures.

NaoyaShinota

Pro Adventurer
Dirge of Cerberus Lost Episode (DEMO) PRESERVED

What has happened so far?
The servers to play these games have been shut down, but not our efforts to preserve games. Recently, the P903i phone that has the Dirge of Cerberus Lost Episode Demo has been preserved and is now playable on pc. Good news is that it is playable on PC. If anybody is looking for a way to emulate on android or side load on Docomo phone, it is as of now, not possible(yet). More and more iMode games are getting preserved. Little by little. And not just FF7 related, but Dragon Quest, Bomberman and just about anything that can be found on iMode phones. And without having to take chips off a phone…..yet. The following Docomo phones that we can extract the firmware from and preserve iMode games Devices that can have its contents extracted.
P900iV
P901iS
N900i
N900iS
N901iS
P902i
N-02A
P702i
P903i
This list is being updated constantly.

This is the script that helps us make progress.

It has been discovered that these phones have a test mode. By shorting specific area of pins you can put your DoCoMo phone in test mode.
For this to be possible, your Docomo USB adapter/cable needs to be modified.

Method and instructions on preparing USB for Test Mode.

Amazon: Link on the adapter that I used to perform this method.

Insert modified cable into phone, makes sure battery is not inserted and your phone's screen will be not turn on, but it will show up as something else in device manager such as FOMA N2003, Panasonic IPL Mode. It is different for each manufacture and the time that the phone was made. Now we have found people with lost FFVII games such as BC, DC and Snowboarding on Docomo phones. But we are still pondering on how to approach the next step to preserve these games. Once these games are dumped, we can play them on the DoJa/Star SDK on PC. As for side loading/playing the game on an android emulator, nobody has support for it.

In the meantime, what this is means is as of now the chances of preserving BEFORE CRISIS, Dirge of Cerberus Lost Episode and FFVII Snowboarding is much higher than it was back when this all started. And a major aspect of this is that you do not need to break your phone, take chips off the phone.

If the game does require connection to play, network connections can be turned off.

If you do know anyone who has the remaining game data of Dirge of Cerberus Lost Episode, Before Crisis FFVII or FFVII Snowboarding on DoCoMo phones and is willing to help out, you might be able to help preserve a lost history of FFVII. These three mobile games and many others, too many to count, have had their websites shut down, the method to access and pay for them is no longer possible at all. Meaning this is the only way so far to play these games.

Thanks to the Kahvibreak Discord Community for making this possible

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i've been wanting to preserve old bonus dvds i had from magazines and purchase bonuses and stuff (things that weren't for sale individually and are out of print now), and upload them to archive.org or something. one of the first ones i wanted to do was the bonus dvd that came with the first issue of young gangan magazine, which i spent all week looking for only for it to be in the last place i thought to check (that was also the easiest to access. it was literally right in front of where i am now). it's relevant to this thread because it contained a trailer for before crisis that i think is the fullest version of the animated promo they made for it. in the trailer there is a bit of text at the start, but it also includes a overview video for the original compilation of ff7 titles (bc, ac, dc) which has that shot without the text but with voice over narration. so with some video editing, you could probably make a textless version of the whole thing.

i took a screencap of the menu for some reason

jbadyBe.jpeg

other contents include the ffxi opening, other square-enix trailers (4, iirc itadaki street, romancing saga minstrel song, radiata stories and one more i forgot now), and interview with sugiyama kouichi for dragon quest viii, a feature showing materials from a dragon quest manga that ran in young gangan (it also had a ffxi manga which is maybe why they have the opening there), and something called 'square enix information' which i'm not sure i ever looked at lol

i've made an iso of it but it gave a copy protection warning so i will need to check that it is actually working and then i try uploading it and maybe move onto other discs (i also found the dvd from that 'cloud' book but i cannot remember at all what was on that or where the book is now).

NaoyaShinota

Pro Adventurer
This is interesting. I remember hearing about gangan. I hope it is actually new footage of BEFORE CRISIS. But amazing at all that you found this. I look forward to seeing what is on this dvd.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
my attempt at making an iso of the disc didn't work, when i tried to play it from the file it didn't load up properly. i have manage to rip mkvs from the disc, but i would still like to find a way to get an iso so there is as complete a copy as possible.

i've uploaded the dc related clips (separate trailer and a compilation of ff7 video) on their own for now, hopefully this link works:

i tried to merge the bc animation so it's mostly textless but one of the videos has a black box around the edges, and i was using davinci resolve for the first time ever and it was 2am and i couldn't be bothered to figure out how to fix it so i gave up.

re: the content i didn't know/remember from the disc before
the trailer i couldn't remember was for front mission online, and the 'square enix info' feature was just giving details for books and manga being published by s-e

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
going through the 'cloud' dvd, it's trailers for compilation stuff plus early ffxiii and versus xiii (when it was still called that and planned for the ps3 lol) and a mobile game called monotone and the original ds version of the world ends with you. it includes a before crisis trailer which is a mix of game screens, last order footage and a tiny bit of the original promo animation. and there's a dc lost episode trailer

for some reason it wouldn't make separate mkv files for the mobile game trailers, so here's a 1gb mkv file of the entire disc's footage because i still haven't worked out how to crack the copy protection to make an iso

also the title screen because why not

rjfHnsK.jpeg

makoenergy

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Thank you for sharing!

I've always been curious about the Vincent action figure you could apparently get with Lost Episode. Happy to see you mention it.

View attachment 13622

Do you know if the action figure was identical to that PlayArts one you linked or was it a different design?

Like Naoya said, the Kahvibreak Discord is a great place for technical help with old cell phones.
The English version of Lost Episode (which actually released before the Japanese one) has so far not been extracted. Having even a single episode extracted, archived and datamined would be a huge victory. It is reassuring to hear that you could play the same level over and over again without issue, at least back then.
in case you were still wondering-
i found a square enix press release from 8/22/2006 detailing the release of DCLE on amp'd phones- the figure was described as "highly articulated", so it's all but confirmed that the figure you could win was the FF7 advent children play arts one (released in 2005 in japan, not sure when for the US). it's the only one released around that time that was highly articulated + the volume 2 vincent came out around 2008 so it can't be that one.
otherwise it's gotta be some super niche figure, because there's no other information online about it :mon:

Nin

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Nin
Thank you for your work everyone! I know its not in the 04-08 era, but now that First Soldier is down, is there any project to preserve playing that?

NaoyaShinota

Pro Adventurer
Thank you for your work everyone! I know it’s not in the 04-08 era, but now that First Soldier is down, is there any project to preserve playing that?
Hmm good question. Even tho we have the server files, I don’t even know how to get the game to run. Or if we can even get it to run. I would like to get it to run. But have no idea where to start.

makoenergy

Lv. 1 Adventurer
if anyone hasn’t shared/seen this website yet, i’d like to be the first to show it off…
FF7AC reunion
found this on my wayback machine travels last year. lots of info about before crisis, like chapter synopses, how to get S-ranks, and strategies for beating bosses. love it!

makoenergy

Lv. 1 Adventurer
i really love the whole concept of video game preservation, and even if I might be repeating some stuff (i know this thread is 7 years old), i hope you don’t mind me ^^

Top Bottom