SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I think the bigger issue here is (and I’m also certainly guilty of it to an extent) is that if you play the game with shipping goggles on then it does twist the way the story is presented. With shipping goggles on, both CT and CA scenes can be construed as “pushing the ship” when it isn’t necessarily so.

I think most non-shippers won’t frame the story that way and just go with what is presented. And trying to set bias aside, the way it’s presented does slant in Tifa’s favor.

c.lupara

Pro Adventurer
I don't think it pushes CA but I don't see any instances where it's really discouraged either in it's own route.

If you compare other scenes and get all the dates CT is encouraged.

But I wouldn't say CA is pushed nor is it ever really shot down if you play the Aerith route and no CA is going to have low affection w Aerith. They aren't going to see the LA date nor LA dream date.

And I think that's basically how they're keeping CA fans from getting too upset by the CT stuff.
I understand.
I actually had the feeling that, by excluding any optional content, the game was trying to direct you in some way, let me explain:

After Kalm, we have the "date" with Aerith which seems more like "Aerith trying to get Cloud and Tifa to reconcile" than being a real date;

Then we have the event at Junon's tavern (ah, but is Cloud doing sit-ups optional or does it always happen?);

Gongaga;

Church scene that is crazy for me to try to romanticize.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
Cloud reactions to Aeriths advances and his interactions with her kind of discourages it doesn't it? At least thats my impression
Not really to it's intended audience because he also has moments where he is basically giggling while taking pictures of her. Is agreeing on riding on a chocobo together, has a tiny smile before finding out the Skywheel is out of order and their date. Stuff like that. In JP his response isn't "I wish you wouldn't" it's "I'm bad at it dates" (and there are other JP lines CAs will honestly be happy with) and so CAs aren't seeing that as any offense. We can say it's friendship. But the intended audience for that will not see it that way and there isn't much stopping them in those sections in that particular route.

Now the story does encourage CT and ZA and nudges towards that in certain points as you go in the main story. Can't deny that. And I personally do believe CT and ZA are canon and it points to them as such.

However as a CA I will be say it.

It just doesn't upset CAs like people think it does. And really, they were never going to upset anyone. The devs very much set this up to tell the story THEY wanted with CT and ZA but not by alienating CA in the process.
They do give enough to keep us from rioting. That's why you see so many of those YouTubers gushing over certain parts. And I'm sorry they're not going to go and compare the other routes or plays or anything. Extremists are coping about the kiss of course but not everyone is extremist either. A lot of non extremists several I know are happy.

And I think it was just designed this way to not upset anyone.

Last edited:

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
I think the bigger issue here is (and I’m also certainly guilty of it to an extent) is that if you play the game with shipping goggles on then it does twist the way the story is presented. With shipping goggles on, both CT and CA scenes can be construed as “pushing the ship” when it isn’t necessarily so.

I think most non-shippers won’t frame the story that way and just go with what is presented. And trying to set bias aside, the way it’s presented does slant in Tifa’s favor.
when you watch streamers who have chats that don't care about shipping or who have never heard of the game. Its very enlightening on how bad shipper goggles can really be XD

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Not really to it's intended audience because he also has moments where he is basically giggling while taking pictures of her. Is agreeing on riding on a chocobo together, has a tiny smile before finding out the Skywheel is out of order and their date. Stuff like that. In JP his response isn't "I wish you wouldn't" it's "I'm bad at it dates" and so CAs aren't seeing that as any offense.

The story itself how ever encourages CT and ZA as you go in the main story. I do believe CT and ZA are canon and it points to them as such.

However as a CA I will be say it.

It just doesn't upset like CAs like people think it does. The devs very much set this up to tell the story THEY wanted with CT and ZA but not by alienating CA in the process. They do give just enough to keep us from rioting. That's why you see so many of those YouTubers gushing over certain parts. And I'm sorry they're not going to go and compare the other routes or plays or anything. Extremists are coping about the kiss of course but not everyone is extremist either.

And I think it was just designed this way to not upset anyone.
For part 3 i wonder if they will keep this design. It seems it will be hard because well ones kinda not exactly alive most likely. But also just from the story being in its endgame. Rebirth had the opportunity for all these fanservice stuff with characters like dates but plot wise part 3 i don't think thats possible. Since we get the lifestream and Highwind and what most of this game has been setting up a Zack and Aerith Reunion

SephirothSucks

Pro Adventurer
I have question and maybe some of you will answer or maybe not. Would you guys be ok with Cloud also having some romantic feelings for Aerith or not? Because personally I really don't like the Idea of that at all even tho he is not himself. I just feel like it would damage clotis relationship even tho he loves Tifa more. And also Tifa never realy wavered either so it sucks kinda sucks if Cloud does but maybe Im just to strict

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
For part 3 i wonder if they will keep this design. It seems it will be hard because well ones kinda not exactly alive most likely. But also just from the story in endgame where we get the lifestream and Highwind and what most of this game has been setting up a Zack and Aerith Reunion
Considering how the OG goes and the LS stream scene and the fact of where Z and A are by the end. I really don't think they would need it? Even in OG this was a Disk one thing. They might do like character resolutions to end their arc but I don't think any affection system is needed nor would I think it makes too much sense.

Especially since this is Aerith's swansong game they got CAs happy enough so I think they would just continue with their intended story.

SephirothSucks

Pro Adventurer
Considering how the OG goes and the LS stream scene and the fact of where Z and A are by the end. I really don't think they would need it? Even in OG this was a Disk one thing. They might do like character resolutions to end their arc but I don't think any affection system is needed nor would I think it makes too much sense.

Especially since this is Aerith's swansong game they got CAs happy enough so I think they would just continue with their intended story.
Maybe they will include it for replay value. Im not saying they will put it in just for the highwind but that they might include things that weren't in the original so more optional scenes are possible.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
I understand.
I actually had the feeling that, by excluding any optional content, the game was trying to direct you in some way, let me explain:

After Kalm, we have the "date" with Aerith which seems more like "Aerith trying to get Cloud and Tifa to reconcile" than being a real date;

Then we have the event at Junon's tavern (ah, but is Cloud doing sit-ups optional or does it always happen?);

Gongaga;

Church scene that is crazy for me to try to romanticize.
Hmm none of those instances you mentioned are really what I meant. But in general more like if you play the Aerith route as a CA there are enough scenes to be satisfied.

But also I don't take Aerith calling anything a date as her seeing it as any traditional date. That's just to show her personality. She lives in the moment and cherishes it so she likes to spend time with people. She refers to hanging with Tifa as a date too.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I have question and maybe some of you will answer or maybe not. Would you guys be ok with Cloud also having some romantic feelings for Aerith or not? Because personally I really don't like the Idea of that at all even tho he is not himself. I just feel like it would damage clotis relationship even tho he loves Tifa more. And also Tifa never realy wavered either so it sucks kinda sucks if Cloud does but maybe Im just to strict
I’m not entirely opposed to it. Love can be complicated.

However, I think regardless that the LS sequence would solidify Tifa is that person he loves. Whereas Aerith, had she survived, might just be a special friend. I mean, that’s what she is in death as well.

SephirothSucks

Pro Adventurer
I’m not entirely opposed to it. Love can be complicated.

However, I think regardless that the LS sequence would solidify Tifa is that person he loves. Whereas Aerith, had she survived, might just be a special friend. I mean, that’s what she is in death as well.
Do you think his feelings for Aerith will get brought up in part 3?

SephirothSucks

Pro Adventurer
I don't think i can convince you otherwise at this point i suppose, but i wanted to say as a counterpoint to this bit that Rebirth, and by proxy Remake also very likely brought in a lot of new Clotis to the mix and i don't think Cleriths are the majority here these days, if they ever were.
My bad, I should not have written it as a fact. It was just my opinion after all, but at the end of the day I don't know if its that important anyway. I can definitely see more of the generall public being cloti now with all the replies I got.

By "the replies I got" I mean that what they were saying made sense to me.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
No I wouldn't be against it. I'm in the minority sure but in fiction I don't mind to explore complicated feelings. Everyone here is young and in a very weird confusing situation. Feelings also being weird and confusing just wouldn't bother me. I can see why it would you, but that's me. And if that was the story I'd honestly just go with it.

But I just don't see it going that way from where I'm standing.

As for my stance, I think Cloud was always oblivious for Aerith's feelings for him. And finding out she loved Zack would probably make it so he never would ask himself what he feels. I don't think that's where his mind is especially with Disk 3 coming up and the LS and all that.

As a CA would I love it if he did? Of course. But I just don't see that happening based on what is shown. Those are my honest thoughts.

So I don't think it matters if I'm against it or for it. It just matters whatever the devs think and do for Pt3. I'll go with whatever but I see them as conveniently placing Aerith where Zack is as a hint of their intent.

Of course we will will see.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy

I agree i think affection worked in Rebirth because plot wise majority of this game is a holiday simulator XD. However for Part 3 Clouds character goes through so much is missing for a while and then we have the lifestream moment. I can't really see any opportunity that would fit tonally for relationship mechanics, hopefully though they just include these bonding moments without a mechanic at all.

SephirothSucks

Pro Adventurer
No, not really as far as romance goes. It will be touched on that she was someone he deeply cared for though,
And with Zack? There was that Marlene scene after all and Aeriths feelings for Cloud were a major plot point in rebirth wether they were romantic or not.
So do you think that maybe her feelings will be brought up with Zack instead?

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Yes, I'm ok with it since it's a reflection of real life

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
And with Zack? There was that Marlene scene after all and Aeriths feelings for Cloud were a major plot point in rebirth wether they were romantic or not.
thats them building some angst with miscommunication. Marlene says Aerith likes Cloud which is true then in the dream date Aerith speaks about two kinds of like, Marlene also says because Zack wasn't there. Its setting up a conversation between Zack and Aerith in a reunion. Zack was visibly hurt by it but also teases Cloud when he met him at the end briefly. Aerith obviously still loves Zack as she didn't hesistate to say she did at Gongaga "hes never given me a reason not too"

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Yes, I think we’ll get Zerith moments in Part 3.

SephirothSucks

Pro Adventurer
Yes, I'm ok with it since it's a reflection of real life
Calling it a reflection of Real life is a bit of a strech I would say. Not just because of the alien parasite and all that but also because Cloud isn't himself around her. So their relationship is very unique and different than what happens real life

Hix

Pro Adventurer

Nevertheless, in Rebirth, Aerith tells Cloud straight up she still loves Zack. No ambiguity or beating around the bush, a straight "Do you still love Zack?" - "Yes."

One cannot suggest otherwise, even if one wants to say she has feelings for Cloud, because she was not separated from Zack by anything other than circumstance. They never had the same resolution that Rebirth has given us for CA, vis, the "now I know where we stand" date in Sector 5, nor did they ever have the same issues that exist up to that point for CA - such as Cloud being stuck in his SOLDIER fantasy persona during their brief encounter, and ultimately, his love for Tifa. These and more are major hurdles that the ship never fully manages to clear, but no such narrative struggles exist for ZA.

This much is for certain, she still has feelings for Zack - she admits it and her actions prove it - and he very clearly has feelings for her. SE did not bring him back for this thread to be left unresolved and they did not decide to end things in Advent Children Complete without recognizing the need for Zack/Aerith to have a reunion, ahead of their depicted togetherness in death.

Top Bottom