SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
The LTD most likely won't ever fully die since some people can't accept that the story wasn't for them and live in full denial instead of just enjoying their fanon. For example, Supernatural still has an "LTD", Gossip Girl still has an "LTD", ATLA still has an "LTD" (in which people still keep regurgitating that Aang is a r*pist, Katara was his mum or trophy wife, Kataang was never romantic or forced etc), Buffy the Vampire Slayer still has an "LTD", and so on.
At least in Buffy's case the argument is between two men she definitively liked and slept with and the actual resolutiion to it is at the end of years and years worth of extra comics.

When I first started playing FF7 OG, I thought Cloud/Aerith was canon because I'd read it online and I didn't really have a reason to doubt it. I also knew that Cloud was still alive at the end of the game. Then I got to the point where Aerith died and I immediately realised, ah, it was a total lie. I didn't even need to see Cloud/Tifa. I knew from prior experience that the Japanese rarely write stories where the main character ends his story pining for his dead lover. They usually reserve the pining for the losing rival. :desu: (Luckily I haven't seen that much anymore either.)
So it's not the same by any means, but there's one example I can think of off hand where the main character pines for his missing lover for an excruciatingly long time, and that's Jetman where main dude Ryu spends a long time not getting over his lost lover Rie, but A: They were a couple planning on being married at the start of the show and his response is to throw himself into his work and ignore romance and B: By the way she's actually alive, just brainwashed and transformed into a villain and most of his obsession is with trying to rescue her and he finally does snap out of his obsession when she finally dies. He then ends the series marrying his other teammate after a 3 year time skip.

I actually read somewhere that Nojima wanted the movie about the Cloud, Tifa, Marlene and Denzels daily life domestic life and it was gonna be very short but then he was told that wouldn't sell and that he needed to introduce more action.
The original version was a very short movie about Tifa sending a message to Cloud through a collection of kids, which included Marlene and who would become Denzel.

View attachment 15146View attachment 15147

Top pic - You can check the stalls as Zack in Chapter 8 apparently
Bottom pic - S5 dream date later on

Now it could just be nothing but a bit weird that Zack related items just suddenly appear in Aerith's dream date isn't it?
Not even remotely. Aerith is pulling in stuff from her memories of her home, and she's trying ro recreate a date with Zack that happened in those places.

Imagine presenting these scenarios to one hundred strangers with no knowledge of FFVII regarding the Skywheel:

Man goes on a date with a woman he has known for less than a month. She invites him to sit next to her. He doesn't and sits across from her. Later on, she falls into him and he catches her. They both have the opportunity to kiss one another, but they both back away. They sit next to one another now. The woman then proceeds to tell him that he reminds her of her dead boyfriend, and that she saw the dead boyfriend in him, but she's trying to get past that and see him for who he really is. She then scoots close to him, grabs onto him, and lays her head on his shoulder. He says her name in a questioning tone. She says just until the ride is over. He gives her this, removing her hand from his arm and holds her hand with his, intertwining their fingers.

Same man goes on a date with another woman, one he has known his whole life. He joined the military to impress her as a young teenager. They have already almost kissed once but were interrupted prior to this date. When fireworks go off, she looks at them. But he looks at her. When she catches this, he is clearly embarrassed. She mentions she can't remember a time when they were this close, but then she hesitates, wondering if she's getting ahead of herself again regarding their relationship. She closes in on herself, but he holds out his hand to her and says not one bit. He then gives her a small, encouraging nod. She places her hand in his. He immediately pulls her to him and holds her. He then places his hands on her shoulders, leans in, and kisses her.

Now, who is this man more interested in? Who would he choose?

Even with this small piece of the story, it's obvious what an overwhelming majority would conclude.
I finally got to the date last night, and Cloud was even more interested than previously indicated. Like, any time there's a lull, Cloud starts staring at Tifa.
But even before that, he takes her hand during NPTK, he encourages Tifa to be on stage after she gushes about being friends with a famous singer, the little awkward "No you go first" leading to the rush into the gondola and the impromptu hug. Bringing up telling Aerith about Zack to fill the silence but also bringing up "still having feelings" as a way to broach the subject of feelings, both of them being very worried about rejection, and then when Cloud finally starts getting it he's the one to reach out his hand, he pulls her in for the hug, he goes in for the kiss, and then afterwards the two of them clearly enjoyed it but they aren't sure what to say.

Last edited:

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
I have to be honest;
What worries me, scares me and makes my skin crawl is seeing Aerith's death romanticized...

I mean really? How deeply perverted can a human being be and find that whole scene romantic?

It's extremely disturbing just to think that it could be (and fortunately it isn't... at least I pray for it).

Another disturbing thought is the fact that Cloud would be so selfish to go off and die in a dead women's church so that they can be together in the afterlife.

Pretty much saying screw the family who is alive and worried sick about him, and that a dead girl is more important to Cloud is preposterous.

For the love of all things (materia) Holy! The man just lost a precious person in his life at the end of the battle for the planet. He barely makes it out of the fight. Then his son gets sick, then he gets sick with what they thought was an incurable disease and he completely felt defeated in every which way of the word. He was in a dark dark place.

The man hasn't had time at all to grieve over everything that has happened to him and his friends over the past month. With everything that has happened it takes a lot for someone to process that much grief and pain.

For the extreme C/A to completely and I imagine purposely miss the entire point of ACC is blasphemous and honestly intellectually dishonest.

c.lupara

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Another disturbing thought is the fact that Cloud would be so selfish to go off and die in a dead women's church so that they can be together in the afterlife.

Pretty much saying screw the family who is alive and worried sick about him, and that a dead girl is more important to Cloud is preposterous.

For the love of all things (materia) Holy! The man just lost a precious person in his life at the end of the battle for the planet. He barely makes it out of the fight. Then his son gets sick, then he gets sick with what they thought was an incurable disease and he completely felt defeated in every which way of the word. He was in a dark dark place.

The man hasn't had time at all to grieve over everything that has happened to him and his friends over the past month. With everything that has happened it takes a lot for someone to process that much grief and pain.

For the extreme C/A to completely and I imagine purposely miss the entire point of ACC is blasphemous and honestly intellectually dishonest.
There is one thing to be said about ACC though.

When they developed the film, they could have avoided inserting Aerith in this macabre context of "there's me who's dead (Zack too obviously but I'm excluding him from the equation to highlight the fallacy of those who want CA at all costs) which I'm here for you and I'll help you resolve your existential dramas."

Of course I understand that showing Aerith still pleases the fans, but I say really couldn't they have put her in at least a more pleasant context?

Obviously this is just my point of view and I am no one to judge whether it can be right or not.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
There is one thing to be said about ACC though.

When they developed the film, they could have avoided inserting Aerith in this macabre context of "there's me who's dead (Zack too obviously but I'm excluding him from the equation to highlight the fallacy of those who want CA at all costs) which I'm here for you and I'll help you resolve your existential dramas."

Of course I understand that showing Aerith still pleases the fans, but I say really couldn't they have put her in at least a more pleasant context?

Obviously this is just my point of view and I am no one to judge whether it can be right or not.
very well said.

They could have done Aerith's character a lot better.

I do truly like how at the end Aerith and Zack walk into the light together as it should be.

That smile Tifa gives to Cloud says to me, I will be jumping your bones tonight! 😂

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
At least in Buffy's case the argument is between two men she definitively liked and slept with and the actual resolutiion to it is at the end of years and years worth of extra comics.
I've never read the comics but there are still definitely people out there in the BtVS fandom who try to prove each other's ships "the more toxic one" which is a funny way to waste time, lol.

So the point still stands: LTD never ends. Even if they're completely made up like in the case of Supernatural and ATLA, lol.

Reactions: LNK

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
If pt3 do end up linked to ACC like they said, I really hope they will do a time skip to after ACC. I need an apology from Cloud to Tifa. I totally understand Cloud’s conditions and the writer’s intentions. But I think Cloud’s action definitely hurts Tifa’s feeling. It is actually not for the sake of Tifa, cause I think she already forgives Cloud when she knows he has geostigma, and instantly understands 80% what is going on in Cloud’s head. But as an audience, I really need to see and hear the apology to give myself a closure.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Imagine presenting these scenarios to one hundred strangers with no knowledge of FFVII regarding the Skywheel:

Man goes on a date with a woman he has known for less than a month. She invites him to sit next to her. He doesn't and sits across from her. Later on, she falls into him and he catches her. They both have the opportunity to kiss one another, but they both back away. They sit next to one another now. The woman then proceeds to tell him that he reminds her of her dead boyfriend, and that she saw the dead boyfriend in him, but she's trying to get past that and see him for who he really is. She then scoots close to him, grabs onto him, and lays her head on his shoulder. He says her name in a questioning tone. She says just until the ride is over. He gives her this, removing her hand from his arm and holds her hand with his, intertwining their fingers.

Same man goes on a date with another woman, one he has known his whole life. He joined the military to impress her as a young teenager. They have already almost kissed once but were interrupted prior to this date. When fireworks go off, she looks at them. But he looks at her. When she catches this, he is clearly embarrassed. She mentions she can't remember a time when they were this close, but then she hesitates, wondering if she's getting ahead of herself again regarding their relationship. She closes in on herself, but he holds out his hand to her and says not one bit. He then gives her a small, encouraging nod. She places her hand in his. He immediately pulls her to him and holds her. He then places his hands on her shoulders, leans in, and kisses her.

Now, who is this man more interested in? Who would he choose?

Even with this small piece of the story, it's obvious what an overwhelming majority would conclude.
It's easy to lose sight of the obvious once you get too caught up in analysis, this was a great "lets take a minute to stand back, and summarize" XD

Eerie

Fire and Blood
If pt3 do end up linked to ACC like they said, I really hope they will do a time skip to after ACC. I need an apology from Cloud to Tifa. I totally understand Cloud’s conditions and the writer’s intentions. But I think Cloud’s action definitely hurts Tifa’s feeling. It is actually not for the sake of Tifa, cause I think she already forgives Cloud when she knows he has geostigma, and instantly understands 80% what is going on in Cloud’s head. But as an audience, I really need to see and hear the apology to give myself a closure.
I don't think they're going to push an apology there, it doesn't make much sense. If they're going into ACC I could see parts of OtWtaS being placed at the end though.

c.lupara

Lv. 25 Adventurer
If I'm not mistaken, there is already some sort of excuse; in Italian at least, when Cloud saves Tifa on his motorbike, he says something like "sorry for being late...I'm lighter now"

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
I don't think they're going to push an apology there, it doesn't make much sense. If they're going into ACC I could see parts of OtWtaS being placed at the end though.

What if it was like CCFF7 post-credit? There's a line of "To be Continued to FF7"
So in Part 3, it'd be "To Be Continued to FF7 Advent Children"

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I can specifically see the game ending with Cloud saying “I’m going to keep on living” on the Highwind followed by saying to Tifa that he knows what it means that they have each other now. This is after Meteor has been averted and they are seeing what’s left of Midgar.

And then the camera pans to the skies above, we get another closing sentence, and credits.

And then we get the same after credits scene with Nanaki.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
If I'm not mistaken, there is already some sort of excuse; in Italian at least, when Cloud saves Tifa on his motorbike, he says something like "sorry for being late...I'm lighter now"
Yeah, he says it English too. “I feel lighter” which really means that the weight of his guilt is slowly evaporating.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
So in Part 3, it'd be "To Be Continued to FF7 Advent Children"
That would be very lazy of them lol.

I can specifically see the game ending with Cloud saying “I’m going to keep on living” on the Highwind followed by saying to Tifa that he knows what it means that they have each other now. This is after Meteor has been averted and they are seeing what’s left of Midgar.

And then the camera pans to the skies above, we get another closing sentence, and credits.

And then we get the same after credits scene with Nanaki.
Yes, I can envision something like that too, with maybe some CGI of them rebuilding the bar.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
The final sentence of Part 3 will reference whatever song they create for it or it will be some framing of a theme, like “To live is to sacrifice” or something like that. I don’t know lol just off the top of my head

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I think the 3rd theme song should be hopeful if they want the ending to be more hopeful than the OG's (although the OG was hopeful lol).

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I wonder why Genesis is such a fan of this play. But yeah, it was fun and over-the-top.
I wonder if he thought it was prophecy. And given that his name means beginning and Alphreid is a reference to Alpha and he was obsessed with the Goddess. I mean, he never fully explained it, but that's my guess.

I've never read the comics but there are still definitely people out there in the BtVS fandom who try to prove each other's ships "the more toxic one" which is a funny way to waste time, lol.
Oh, they're both toxic ships, and Buffy is a large part of why (something that does come up in the comics is Buffy adjusting and learning how to be a person again, not just a soldier).

So the point still stands: LTD never ends. Even if they're completely made up like in the case of Supernatural and ATLA, lol.
I know the ATLA LTDs are Katara vs Toph for Aang and Aang vs Zuko for Katara, but that's the Supernatural one?

Dude, this is Love Square. Poor Gai. I'm sucker for the tragic one.
If he'd just told someone he'd been stabbed it could have been avoided.
But he just wanted Kaori to be happy and he didn't want to ruin her wedding day.

You know, Dairanger has a romance that's sort of like what C/A apparently want in a relationship (Shishi ranger and Kujaku the Peacock Bhudda). What it definitely lacks is another woman for the man was interested in from childhood, and even HE moves on when he sees Kujaku in heaven.
Man the ending of Dairanger was a fucking trip.

SephirothSucks

Pro Adventurer
Ultimately, yes. Say what you will about the movie, but it leads to everyone finally getting closure and ties up some loose ends.
Yes that is true but i feel like it would be hard to really be happy for them in part 3s ending when you know that they will go trough hell again and that they didn't reeeeealy beat Sephiroth for good

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
In Eng, it was, "I must've lost some weight.... from all that dilly dallying." It's indirect, but it's him telling her she's right. Why call back and use her own words otherwise?

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
Yes that is true but i feel like it would be hard to really be happy for them in part 3s ending when you know that they will go trough hell again and that they didn't reeeeealy beat Sephiroth for good
Myabe xD The movie is already out for all to see -- I've seen it twice. They overcame all the obstacles that came their way (CT) and we see ZA reunited. I say that's a win.

Top Bottom