SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
In the OG, yeah I'd agree about the red herring, especially on replay. But here she still warns against city girls xD

And her realisation in ToTP shows that she understood something about Cloud that day lol:

I think this shows that Claudia suddenly has to think about why Cloud told Tifa he wanted to become a SOLDIER and not herself. This is why I feel she's very much teasing him about Tifa, the mature girl from next door, who is certainly not a city girl (amusing fact that is duly noted in one of Tifa's sidequests in Costa del Sol).

I really want to have that full conversation in the Lifestream, not because CT though but because I want more of mama!Cloud and her son interactions. He did sleep there the whole time after all. In front of Sephiroth he speaks of Claudia and Tifa, so I wish to see more of their bond before she dies ;_;
Hmm… maybe we’ll get to see his whole conversation with his mom this time, instead of the rapid cuts.

c.lupara

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I was eating popcorn while reading the answers.

Getting serious:

NPTK Is a love song? Yes it is and there is no point in beating around the bush.

The real question that needs to be asked in my opinion:
NPTK Is just a love song?
Here the matter is more complex because as you can easily imagine, no it is not and it will not be for at least the next 3000 years.

NPTK is a song about love yes but what kind of love: romantic love lost, love of a family, love of friends;
all these differences of expression are however a form of love.

NPTK is about hope: the hope of being reunited with loved ones.

NPTK is about awareness: whatever you say, Aerith knows what it means to be the last Cetra and what this could mean for her life.

NPTK deals with the theme of remembrance: we will always carry loved ones in our hearts who for a reason are no longer with us.

NPTK is about farewell: it's the theme of Rebirth. Goodbyes are part of the cycle of life but, reconnecting to the theme of hope, these goodbyes will never be goodbyes if there is hope, reconnecting to the theme of memory, it will never really be a goodbye if we carry our dear within us.

Philosophical moment, switch off.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
I think this shows that Claudia suddenly has to think about why Cloud told Tifa he wanted to become a SOLDIER and not herself. This is why I feel she's very much teasing him about Tifa, the mature girl from next door, who is certainly not a city girl (amusing fact that is duly noted in one of Tifa's sidequests in Costa del Sol).

that's why when he woke up he immediately wanted to return back to sector 7 ( although @Yoru point is alright) TOTP you can read it Claudia knew what his son's heart lies with.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Rather than taking your interpretation and dismissing the game if it isn't validated wouldn't it be better to see what is validated and to see if that story is worth enjoying?
Right? I was full on wanting to see Cloud kill Aerith this time around, and him/Sephiroth be the final bosses of Rebirth. Clearly didn't happen, and yet, Rebirth is still looking to be one of my favorite games of all time

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Right? I was full on wanting to see Cloud kill Aerith this time around, and him/Sephiroth be the final bosses of Rebirth. Clearly didn't happen, and yet, Rebirth is still looking to be one of my favorite games of all time
That would have been dark, wtf.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
It can be both tbh since people think it's about Aerith anyway but ToTP also introduces a potential wrench into that idea as Claudia seems to know that Cloud has a crush on Tifa.

This is why I think the line purposely refers to both girls but doesn't completely match either of them for plausible deniability but it would perfectly match both of them if they had never been split into 2 separate characters.
I'd argue it's not about Aerith at all. At that point in time Claudia nor Cloud knew Aerith. How could she even be referring to her?

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I'd argue it's not about Aerith at all. At that point in time Claudia nor Cloud knew Aerith. How could she even be referring to her?
Well, yeah… more that it’s “foreshadowing” rather than explicitly about Aerith.

But still a red herring.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
Wait, why is Romeo/Juliet a terrible love story?
Most people consider it a horrible love story because Romeo was fickle. Before he meets Juliet, he was fawning over another girl but forgets all about her when he meets Juliet. And Juliet is naive, believing that Romeo only has eyes for her when in reality he's just a teenage boy with wandering eyes. Then, they become so embroiled in a toxic mess that leads to their (unnecessary) deaths. It's a cautionary tale through and through. It was never written to be romanticized or idealized.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Most people consider it a horrible love story because Romeo was fickle. Before he meets Juliet, he was fawning over another girl but forgets all about her when he meets Juliet. And Juliet is naive, believing that Romeo only has eyes for her when in reality he's just a teenage boy with wandering eyes. Then, they become so embroiled in a toxic mess that leads to their (unnecessary) deaths. It's a cautionary tale through and through. It was never written to be romanticized or idealized.
I mean, that all sounds like a reflection of humans/relationships (not all). Do people actually think a good love story is only when two people live happily ever after?

shady

Pro Adventurer
In the OG, yeah I'd agree about the red herring, especially on replay. But here she still warns against city girls xD

And her realisation in ToTP shows that she understood something about Cloud that day lol:

I really want to have that full conversation in the Lifestream, not because CT though but because I want more of mama!Cloud and her son interactions. He did sleep there the whole time after all. In front of Sephiroth he speaks of Claudia and Tifa, so I wish to see more of their bond before she dies ;_;

I think at some point in Part 3 we will absolutely see the Nibelheim conversation between Cloud and his Mum in full, I believe there was a reason why they headache'd there way out of a lot of that conversation, I think Tifa is and of course his identity is a part of that. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the moment from TOTP where Claudia and Tifa talk as well, or rather, kinda hoping for that one. Hell it would be nice in the Lifestream to see maybe Tifa's mum, but also the times Cloud and Tifa used to go to each others houses no problem and play together as kids, before things fell apart.

Neomia

Lv. 1 Adventurer
To my knowledge, Claudia doesn't mention an 'older girl' at all in Japanese. She says 'big sister' (meaning someone mature and lady-like, not literally a big sister). I think arguing about the real intent behind this line is a waste of brain cells if it's just another botched translation issue. She's just a mother who wants the best for her son!

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I think arguing about the real intent behind this line is a waste of brain cells if it's just another botched translation issue. She's just a mother who wants the best for her son!
Even if it was a botched translation, it wouldn't matter. As you said, it's just a mother who wants what she thinks is the best for her son. In the context of things, there is nothing about the statement that is in reference to Aerith.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I mean, that all sounds like a reflection of humans/relationships (not all). Do people actually think a good love story is only when two people live happily ever after?
No, not at all but I don't think that's what people mean when they say it's a horrible love story lol. Romeo and Juliet is a classic, but it's not something to strive for, so when CAs use R&J as an example of what they want for their ship it makes people look at them sideways because that kind of narrative is the very antithesis of Cloud and Aeriths entire arc and characterization.

Romeo and Juliet is a good tragic story, and it's an even better cautionary tale, but it's not actually romantic in nature. Idk if I'm making sense here lol

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
No, not at all but I don't think that's what people mean when they say it's a horrible love story lol. Romeo and Juliet is a classic, but it's not something to strive for, so when CAs use R&J as an example of what they want for their ship it makes people look at them sideways because that kind of narrative is the very antithesis of Cloud and Aeriths entire arc and characterization.

Romeo and Juliet is a good tragic story, and it's an even better cautionary tale, but it's not actually romantic in nature. Idk if I'm making sense here lol
Lol you are making sense, and I get it. I think fans should be more specific if they're saying it's a horrible love story though.

Reactions: Rin

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Luckily that this is FF7 and not R & J because both lovers die tragically.

I don't think my heart can handle if Cloud and Aerith both die in this story.

Which why the premise of Cloud waiting to die to be with his beloved makes zero sense and quite honestly a piss poor writing narratively speaking.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
And here this old Devil always took Romeo and Juliette to be a comedy about dumbass kids ruining their lives over infatuation :awesomonster:

Top Bottom