SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Stiggie, you're goated.
Most unfair turn of events I think I've ever seen.
I swear to god, I cannot watch those shows anymore, almost fell into an existential depression once while watching Nisekoi.
QQ is the one that still bothers me the most though, my third favorite girl in anime, 2nd even until very recently.

Now I just avoid any show with a premise like this like the plague. Honestly, if they were to go full nuclear on the story and change the love interest to Aerith in perhaps the instance where I felt most happy about the outcome I'd probably quit Japanese media all together.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
An alt Aerith and Cloud in a saved world is the next best thing they can go for after Aerith didn't end up surviving this time around either, showing that they don't even really believe in their own star crossed lovers idea or whatever that works out with them in the afterlife after Cloud passes on to be with Aerith.
I don't know why that would even be something to be happy about. Alt Aerith and Cloud wouldn't be the characters that they supposedly love so much. It just seems really odd

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I've been told before I should be happy with AUs.

Some people ship CA in KH, or in EC (though EC has stuff for all the ships), etc, as long as it's not fan made content people will be happy with it, including official AUs.

Last edited:

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
I swear to god, I cannot watch those shows anymore, almost fell into an existential depression once while watching Nisekoi.
QQ is the one that still bothers me the most though, my third favorite girl in anime, 2nd even until very recently.

Now I just avoid any show with a premise like this like the plague. Honestly, if they were to go full nuclear on the story and change the love interest to Aerith in perhaps the instance where I felt most happy about the outcome I'd probably quit Japanese media all together.
Don't even get me started on Nisekoi. I got impatient and just looked it up, safe to say I dropped it almost immediately.

Same, if Clerith were to become canon it would break me, for a whole lotta reasons lmao.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
Cloud had always loved Tifa IS the twist, and the reason that's not irrelevant is because its STILL the case. It's not "btw, I used to love Tifa". It's "Actually, it's been you this whole time".
Exactly. The twist kind of falls flat if they don’t have feelings for each other.

It can be said the twist is that Cloud was there, but it can’t be ignored that he was there AND kept his promise to Tifa. He was there AND he hid because he was ashamed to see Tifa as a grunt.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Something that's relevant for this discussion is "when does childhood begin and end"

Like, two people who met and dated in high school would be considered childhood sweethearts for someone in their 30s, but would be considered "new friends" to other people in the same grade. As an extreme example of this, the main character of Negima is a 10 year old. Literally all of his romantic prospects are "childhood friends" and "exciting and new" because moves into their school to teach english because absurd premise is absurd.

BTW, all this talk of romance tropes reminded me of another common one- Homeboy made a promise with a girl when he was a child, maybe he can't quite remember the face of the girl, or the details of the promise, but it sits with him. Forever.

Last edited:

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
BTW, all this talk of romance tropes reminded me of another common one- Homeboy made a promise with a girl when he was a child, maybe he can't quite remember the face of the girl, or the details of the promise, but it sits with him. Forever.
This rings a bell, I can't quite put my finger on it though. What show did you have in mind when you said this?

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Like, two people who met and dated in high school would be considered childhood sweethearts for someone in their 30s, but would be considered "new friends" to other people in the same grade. As an extreme example of this, the main character of Negima is a 10 year old. Literally all of his romantic prospects are "childhood friends" and "exciting and new" because moves into their school to teach english because absurd premise is absurd.
It's an error to consider it purely by age; you need the context, if at 15 you get to know someone but already have a childhood friend then that new person isn't going to be considered as a childhood friend ever. It's all about context.

As an aside, I consider that around age 11/12 relationships between guys and girls do change, so "childhood friends" would probably refer to someone you've known before that. Tifa also felt it in ToTP as her childhood friends began to see her as a trophy rather than her own person and I'm guessing it's around that age that it began because there's a definitive switch. As for same sex people, I had friends I met at 11-12 and I don't consider them as childhood friends, as I did have childhood friends I knew before that. So it's really a matter of perspective - and I say that as I consider 25 years old people as babies nowadays lol.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
It's an error to consider it purely by age; you need the context, if at 15 you get to know someone but already have a childhood friend then that new person isn't going to be considered as a childhood friend ever. It's all about context.

As an aside, I consider that around age 11/12 relationships between guys and girls do change, so "childhood friends" would probably refer to someone you've known before that. Tifa also felt it in ToTP as her childhood friends began to see her as a trophy rather than her own person and I'm guessing it's around that age that it began because there's a definitive switch. As for same sex people, I had friends I met at 11-12 and I don't consider them as childhood friends, as I did have childhood friends I knew before that. So it's really a matter of perspective - and I say that as I consider 25 years old people as babies nowadays lol.
That's what I was getting at. "Childhood friends" looks different depending on the age of the people you're asking. In this case it's irrelevant since this was a literal "from birth" childhood friend/ girl next door scenario for Cloud and Tifa, but for example, Zack and Aerith would be considered childhood sweethearts given they meet at 14 and 15, if the circumstances were even slightly different.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
And yet, Aerith does not consider Zack as a childhood friend, since she laments not having one in game!

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Kinda hitting that the really toxic clerith arguments are just repeating stuff from ages ago like advent children claims and old ultimanias, they really have nothing huh xd. Its like not even annoying anymore its just kinda pitiful. The one hope they had was the Remake trilogy to change the story and save Aerith though i honestly doubt that would have changed Cloti. Now we just go into part 3, knowing Lifestream will be in HD with Tifa and Clouds reactions to the feelings and memories and whatever other stuff we are gonna get since Gongaga was a complete surprise.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
All this to say that if there was to be a second choice in this story, it would be Aerith because she comes after. Tifa is Cloud's motivation. That's not an interpretation, but a statement of fact in the game itself. So in the event of her refusing Cloud's confession, Aerith would be the default choice. A second choice. Except that Tifa also shares the same feelings, so the question no longer arises.

With Tifa around, Aerith can ask for a threesome at best.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
All this to say that if there was to be a second choice in this story, it would be Aerith because she comes after. Tifa is Cloud's motivation. That's not an interpretation, but a statement of fact in the game itself. So in the event of her refusing Cloud's confession, Aerith would be the default choice. A second choice. Except that Tifa also shares the same feelings, so the question no longer arises.

With Tifa around, Aerith can ask for a threesome at best.
As long as Zack also gets to join I am ok with this.

Top Bottom