• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

"Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography: TURKS - The Kids Are Alright"

Pixel

The Pixie King
19. Outcast

"A car passed through a while ago, did you see it?"

Rude asked.

"Yeah, Evan was drivin'." Reno replied, unamused. "After all that trouble lettin' him meet his brother— and the President is the President."

Rude figured that if he had been in Evan's or Rufus Shinra's position, he would find Reno's meddling annoying.

"If someone told me I had a brother I didn’t even know about somewhere, I'd definitely look for him."

"Sure."

All I need are companions, thought Rude.

"You don't know what it's like to have blood family."

"I’m just a cold, ruthless Turk."

Rude uttered this as he turned away from Reno, and started walking toward the truck.

"Yo, Ruuude, are you angry?"

Reno called in a pathetic voice.

"I’ve only got you. I can't get in touch with the Chief or Elena, and the President only says to get the monument completed. I’m sure the three of them are plannin' somethin' interesting. We're outcasts. It's just you and me, partner, we need to get along."

"You can't get in touch with the Chief?"

Rude looked back and asked.

Pixel

The Pixie King
20. Strife Delivery Service

"It was called Jenova. The apple of my eye"

Saying that, Dr. Drake pointed at the pictures and grinned.

"That's an arm, right? The arm of a woman."

"You could say that, and you could say that it's isn’t. It's said that Jenova would read the human consciousness, and control it. Also, a number of experiments were conducted using it's cells. This arm is a product of those experiments. The mummy is a human woman, and also Jenova."

"I don't understand."

"Well, that's understandable. Jenova was a mysterious life-form that the Shin-Ra Company researched continuously. It came from outer space a long time ago, it seems. It was known as the 'calamity from the skies'."

"From— space?"

"That's just what I've heard. All of the guys in the science department had been doing research on it, but I wasn't able to get close. I was attracted to the research position, but I was assigned to the medical department of the army. Thanks to that, I wasn’t able to get a look at it.”

I was at a loss for words at the mind blowing nature of the subject. Shin-Ra had been doing experiments on a creature from outer space. Man, what the fuck kind of organisation were they? The one who ran the organization was my father. The one who took over was my brother. If I had been on their side— I thought about how confidently Rufus behaved, and for the first time, I thought about the power I might have had, and the dignity I might have acquired. Sadly, I had been chased from the seat of power, and all I could do was imagine myself leaving the city in a car without a windshield.

-

The door opened, and a man came in. A steely-eyed, blonde man with a well groomed, but despondent face.

"Let me guess, the guy with the dog?"

Dr. Drake closed the file, lifted his head, and said with an annoyed tone.

"Dog?"

The man responded in an emotionless voice. I went outside so as to not interfere with their conversation. A large motorcycle was parked in front of the clinic. That moment I thought— maybe that's the man from earlier, I figured out who he was. As promised, Denzel had contacted him. While I felt thankful to Denzel, I remembered that I had called them with a lie, and became slightly restless. As I puzzled over what I should do— whether I should just run away— I saw that he had come out of the clinic. We made full eye contact.

"Are you from the Strife Delivery Service?"

I could only prepare for the worst.

"Evan Townshend?"

The man nodded, and then asked. I was no good with his type. There was nothing that likeable about him. He spoke bluntly, and his facial expressions were scarce. A joke wouldn't go down well.

"When I called earlier, I heard Denzel wasn’t doin' too good. Shouldn’t you go back?

It wasn't kindness. I just wanted to get rid of him quickly.

"What about the letter?"

Is he ignoring me? I had no choice but to be firm.

"Actually, I need fuel. I thought someone who rides a bike would know where to get some"

"There's no letter?"

"Yeah."

I braced myself, expecting to be punched or kicked, or both. But the guy just got back on his bike without doing anything.

"Shin-Ra or the WRO."

The engine of the bike rumbled quietly.

"What?"

As I questioned, I realised he had just told me where to get the fuel.

"Oh. But, those routes are no good. For a few reasons.’"

"Do you have money?"

"I think I should be okay."

"The slums. Don Corneo in Wall Market has some. Tell him Cloud sent you."

"Got it. Thanks. Looks like I’ll be able to get to Nibelheim."

As he pushed his bike a little ways ahead, he looked straight at my face.

"Why are you going there?"

"To look for someone. I'm a detective." I knew my worst enemy, my conceited nature, had shown its ugly face again. But I can’ stop. "I'm going in order to look for a missing soldier."

"It’s pretty far. Don't bother."

"Have you been? How do I get there?"

He looked at me in silence. He seemed to be appraising me. I averted my gaze, and grit my teeth.

"Ask in Seventh Heaven."

With that, he started the motorcycle. Seventh Heaven? This unexpected turn of events left me feeling bewildered.

Pixel

The Pixie King
21. Count on Tifa

It would appear that fuel could be obtained in Wall Market in the slums. However, driving around the slums in a car seemed pretty difficult, and it was likely the car would disappear if I parked it. I'll park in a safe place, and head to Seventh Heaven first. Now, as for where to park— a safe place immediately came to mind. It was something stupid and not without risk, considering how I came to be driving around in the first place. However, it was worth a try. I drove slowly— something also needs to be done about this wind hitting my face fast— and pulled into the main square. A Shin-Ra truck was parked near the monument. I managed to maneuver my way through the crowds, trying to ignore their angry stares, and parked next to the truck. The guys hanging around the steel frame watched me. I ignored them, and got out of the car. Reno was glaring at me. I approached, staring straight at him.

"Hey!"

"—You didn’t get my message?"

"I got it."

"Well then, whaddya want?"

"I heard, so I came to apologise. Sorry about yesterday. But big bro—" Big bro, huh? "He was the one who said to do that."

Reno looked at me with his mouth agape. Before long, a smile spread across his face.

"I knew it! I was right! I thought it was strange. 'Coz the President should've had a gun."

Watching Reno's speaking cheerfully, my sense of guilt at calling Rufus Shinra my big brother deepened.

"Anyway, I'm sorry I betrayed your trust. I just wanted to say that."

"It’s all good, yo. So, how was it? Meetin' your big brother for the first time, that is."

“It still hasn’t sunk in yet.”

"I see—. Well, I guess that’s how these things are. Anyway, you should go see him once in a while. If you do, I think you can get to know each other."

"Sure, when things get settled."

Yeah. That'll work. I'll just allow myself to lie a little, until things calm down. I'm a mass of secrets and lies. I can't change just like that. My mother's whereabouts has top priority. If I just discover that, I’m sure I'll change.

"Can I leave my car here for a while?"

"Sure, I'll look after it. But, what’ll you do with a car? You don’t need one in Edge, do you? Planning on goin' somewhere far?"

"Yeah. I felt like goin' on a trip."

Reno furrowed his brow. Did I make a mistake?

"Are you sure about this? There are quite a lot of monsters."

"I haven’t gotten that far yet. I'm still just gettin' ready."

"Well, anyway, think it over and then decide. I don’t really recommend it."

I'm nothing but a chicken, anyway. However, I thought well of Reno for not just outright saying that, so I offered him my thanks and headed toward Seventh Heaven. As I walked, and casually glanced at the monument, I realized Rude had been watching me from beside it. He gestured like he was cracking his neck to the left and right. It felt like he was scowling at me behind those sunglasses.

-

Seventh Heaven was empty. To me, it was great to be in the city. Tifa greeted me with her usual smile. I took a seat at the counter for the first time.

"Is it alright if I sit here?"

"Of course."

"Is it just you? That's unusual."

"It’s like that sometimes."

"Would you like some black tea?"

"Sure."

Tifa started preparing the tea. It felt unexpectedly uncomfortable sitting at the counter. I didn't know how to act.

"Actually, there's something I want to ask you."

"What is it?"

"What's the best way to get to Nibelheim?"

Tifa stopped what she was doing, and stared at me.

"Why are you asking me?"

"Because, you're—" As I said it, I realised I already knew Tifa was born in Nibelheim. When did I learn that? Oh yeah, I remember. "I heard it from Johnny. Weren't you born in Nibelheim?"

"Oh, Johnny." Tifa looked embarrassed. "How much did he say?"

"Not much— just that you were born in Nibelheim."

"I see—" Tifa had a complicated expression that was hard to describe. "A lot of things happened."

"Yeah. Everyone has their own story."

If I said that I wasn't interested in Tifa's past, I'd be lying. But looking into her eyes as she lowered them, I gathered it was something I shouldn’t ask about.

"Why are you going there?"

"Sightseeing."

"Do you know what kind of place it is?"

Tifa stared at me. It was an determined stare that urged me to tell the truth. I couldn't seem to resist it. Well, to be honest, I wanted to tell the truth. Maybe that's it. I had told too many lies. How sad am I? I sincerely thought, "Just tell the truth". I took the photo of Nibelheim out of my shoulder bag, and placed it on the counter.

"Truth is, I want to go there to search for someone—"

Tifa leaned forward and examined it. I pointed to the smiling face of the female on the far left of the group photo, opposite Gould Arde, who was laughing in the front row on the far right..

"That’s my mother. This is Nibelheim, right? It was taken two years ago. My mother was definitely in Nibelheim. But I don't know where she went after that."

"Two years ago—"

"I think it was a little before Meteor."

Tifa's expression became clouded. It was a different expression from when I was talking about Johnny.

"There’s no telling if she’s still there, but maybe—" She may already be dead. "But, if I don't go to Nibelheim, I can't go on. That's how it feels. Actually, a few things happened, so I wanted to get away. Maybe searching for my mother is just another excuse. I don't know. But I'm useless the way I am now."

"I see—" Tifa gently set the tea down in front of me. "Well then, you have to go."

Tifa told me to wait, and disappeared into the back of the store. I flipped the photo over, and looked at what appeared to be the name and phone number of a man. Nick Foley. The number was for my house in Midgar's Sector Six. Nick Foley used my home as a starting point to search for the families of people in the photo. I don't know why he used our home. Maybe it was because when he returned to the ruins of Midgar, the Shin-Ra Company, his employer, was technically not in operation, or perhaps there was something else that barred him from doing it through the company. Anyway, Nick's Foley was using my home phone number or, in other words, counting on me. Even though that was how we met and parted ways.

Eventually, Tifa came back, with a large, opened map. She put it on the counter, and then—

"The latest route should be marked on here. Did you know that the terrain changed in places all around the world two years ago?"

"No. Oh, because of the lifestream?"

"Right. But there aren't any accurate maps yet, because nobody's investigated it properly. This map has actually been plotted, so it’s quite valuable."

Tifa said proudly.

"Did you plot it?"

"Of course not."

"Okay, so here's Nibelheim. I wonder if it's become a little easier to get to than before."

I looked at Tifa's fingertip on the map. It was certainly marked as Nibelheim, but—

"Midgar is here, right?"

"Yeah."

I traced my finger across the map from Midgar to Nibelheim. I'd ended up at the ocean, no matter what way I went.

"I have to cross the ocean. I guess the car is useless."

"Well, I think a car would make quite a difference."

I looked at the map again. I hadn't seen a comprehensive map like this since I was a child.

"Uhh—"

"First, when you get out of Midgar, head south. Towards the southwest, that is. If you follow the coastline you’ll reach Junon, see? There's a small fishing village right below Junon called Under Junon. You can get a ship from there."

"A ship?"

"To cross the ocean, of course. In the old days, it was hard to even get to Junon. You had to go all the way around to the east. That alone took days."

"Ha."

"Don’t want to go anymore?"

"That’s not it, it’s just that I've never gone travelling before. I just thought it’d take a lot of effort."

I answered while checking the location of Nibelheim, sipping my tea.

"Did you grow up in Midgar?"

"Yup. Born and bred. I’ve never— left before"

You couldn’t call what we went on with the Turks a journey.

"I wonder if everything will be alright."

I looked up suddenly, because it seemed Tifa was teasing me with the way she said it. Her face seemed serious, unlike the tone of her voice. It seemed like she was telling me not to go. I recalled Reno's words in the square.

"Why was your mother in Nibelheim?"

She changed the subject when she saw I had fallen silent.

"I thought she went off with a man, and abandoned me. But, by chance, I got my hands on the old photo from before. You saw my mother, didn’t you? She was laughing. I was angry at first. What was she laughing at?" Yeah. I was angry. "But, then I realized. Maybe she was smiling because she was thinking of me. Mom thought that I would be coming soon. That’s why she was able to laugh. Yet, I—"

I realized I had spoken too much. Men going on and on about their mothers are the worst. When I timidly looked up at Tifa, she was looking at me with that same serious expression.

"Actually— I went to Nibelheim once around that time. But—"

"Was my mother there?"

Tifa stared at the ceiling, and returned her gaze to me.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't tell you."

"That’s the face of someone who knows something"

"The town had completely changed, and the people living there were all strangers. I don’t know if your mom was among them. Sorry. I shouldn’t be saying such dubious things."

I showed Tifa the photo again.

"I'm sorry. I'm not sure."

"Is that so—"

Silence. Tifa muttered an excuse me, and began working at the other side of the counter. This was probably the end of that discussion. I put the photo away and looked at the map. I planned on memorising the route.

"Hey, Tifa?"

I called out to try to clear the air. The topic— anything will do.

"This Gold Saucer is the Gold Saucer, right? You know, the amusement park. I wanted to go at least once."

"I think it's closed now."

She seemed relieved that the topic had changed.

"What about you, Tifa—"

"I have been. There, that is."

"On a date… perhaps?"

"Wouldn't you like to know."

"Sorry." I noticed Tifa's faked smile. "I'm being persistent."

"It's okay. Don't worry about it. People have asked a lot worse. Hey, have you ever been to Costa del Sol? It's a lot more fun than Nibelheim."

From the way she said it, I realized that Tifa was still trying to deter me from going to Nibelheim.

"Why don't you go with your girlfriend? It’ll be hard to get there, though."

"If I had a girlfriend."

"Huh? Did I get the wrong idea?"

She must be talking about Kyrie.

"Oh, she's just a colleague."

"Hmm?"

Tifa stared at me with a forced “doubtful expression”.

"Would you mind if I make a copy the map?"

"Go ahead."

I put my hand in the backpack, and without looking, tore a piece from the paper bag, which the rolls of bills were in, and took it out. I roughly copied the route onto the piece of paper. While doing it, I began to wonder whether I could make such a journey.

"This really does seems difficult—"

"While I don’t think it’s going to be easy, there are guides and people with the necessary vehicles in most places. Of course, nothing comes for free."

"If it’s a matter of money then I can make due."

"Oh really? Could it be that you’re a wealthy person?"

"Just a little, for now. Business is booming."

"What kind of a business is it?"

"Detective."

"You must be pretty good"

"I’ll give you a discount."

"Thank you. I’ll think about it."

I drank the cold tea left at the bottom of the cup, and thanked Tifa. As I went to pay—

"You can pay next time."

"Huh?"

"That means, you’d better come back alive."

Ivette

Donator
I was anxious to see Reno and Rude´s reaction when they would see Evan again, and I find it kinda funny (Rude cracking his neck... he is so subtle! hahaha But my favourite was Reno "Well then, fuck you", gosh is weird to me reading so much swear words! ^^U)
This is going more interesting! I always revise the brief of the chapter before read it, and I must say that the initial work of Hito making all the summary is incredibly amazing, just as the work of Pixel translating now! ^_^ THANK YOU GUYS!!

Pixel

The Pixie King
22. Kyrie and the Turks

Reno had been struggling to fix iron plates, which had been curved to match the appearance of the monument, to the steel frame. He worked while murmuring vulgar swear words, but before long, threw the iron plate to the ground. There was a loud crash.

"It doesn't fit, yo."

Lifting his head as he cursed away at no one in particular, he caught sight of Rude, who was squatting down next to Evan's car, examining the rear wheel.

"What's wrong?"

"The wheel nut is loose. Should I tighten it?"

What had come over Rude, who had been angry at Evan just a little while ago. He went over to his partner with a monkey wrench and...

"Want this?

"Yeah."

Rude took the wrench and began to tighten the nut.

"Well, aren’t you nice."

"It’s ‘cause I noticed. It’d weigh on my conscience if this ended up causing his death."

"No doubt about that."

"That guy is..." Rude got up, went around to the rear wheel on the opposite side, and continued working.

"He's what? Don't stop in the middle."

"That guy is... dangerous."

"Huh?"

He asked again, but he knew what he meant. His actions are rash. He tries to make himself look big. He puts up a front. He’s a coward, but he acts all brave to impress those around him. Repeating such acts would end up causing him to die a worthless death. From novice soldiers to SOLDIER, and young Turks. The two of them knew a number of young people like Evan.

"But that’s how young people are, right? Didn’t we go through that kind of a stage, too?"

"I forget."

"That girl..."

"Kirie?"

"Yeah. Kyrie might end up killing Evan."

"Oho, ya think so? Me too."

Kyrie wasn’t a bad person. However, she was an irresponsible troublemaker. She was a girl who just seemed to attract trouble. Evan would make every effort not to show his own weaknesses to Kyrie. He would end up overdoing it. It was a heavy burden to bear for a guy who is too self-conscious, and doesn't know his own limits.

"But we can’t just abandon the President's younger brother, can we?"

Rude didn't answer, and just continued working.

"I'm okay with just doin' this. I don’t want to be involved with him anymore."

"...Well, it doesn’t look like that’ll work."

He caught sight of Kyrie cutting across the square.

"I'll leave that to you."

"Hey!"

Rude returned to the monument, leaving Reno behind.

"Hey, Reno'nRude!"

"Don’t put em together."

"Where did you hide Evan? Did you lock him away because he refused to become a stand-in? Or are you planning on making him pay for what he did?"

"What are you talking about?"

"When I think about it, those are the only kinds of things that come to mind. Evan had to have been acting funny because something happened between him and Shinra. Right?"

"Funny how?”

He tried to remember how Evan was acting when he left the car, but had no idea.

"Evan's disappeared."

Kyrie said with condemnation.

"He might have left, but I think he’ll be coming back soon. You know, this is Evan's car. We’re watching it for him."

Kyrie glared at the car like it was her worst enemy. Then, she opened the door and got in.

"Hey!"

"I'm waiting here. If he doesn't come back, I'm crashing the car into the monument."

Pixel

The Pixie King
23. Leslie and Marle

I walked through the maze of the slums, feeling like a migratory bird that had strayed from the flock. I was trying to get to Leslie's house. I had visited 2 or 3 times, but this was my first time going alone. Even if I were to ask a passerby for directions, I didn't have the confidence to explain where it was I wanted to go. Just as I began thinking it might be better to head back to Edge and start over, I finally came to a place I recognised. A dozen or so shacks were randomly dotted around the entrance. I knocked on the door of one of them.

"It’s Evan..." As soon as she said my name, I remembered that Leslie didn't live on his own. "Evan Townshend from Mireille Detective Agency."

The door opened immediately.

"Hi. We haven't met, right? I'm Marle.

A small, short haired, bubbly girl greeted me with a smile.

"Yeah, nice to meet you. Is Leslie here? Oh, congratulations."

"Thank you. Leslie's inside, come on in."

I followed Marle into the room. The inside the house seemed only slightly bigger than mine It was likely a squeeze for two people to live in. It was different than I remembered. The wallpaper had an embarrassing floral pattern, and decorative lace cushions were placed around the room. They were things you wouldn't think to find in Leslie's house.

"Hey."

Leslie got up. He seemed to be reading a book in bed. He pushed out the chair beside the bed, so I gratefully sat down.

"Yo."

"Are you alone?"

"Yeah. Thanks to you, I got pretty lost."

"Better get used to it. So, this about work?"

"No, just something personal..."

"Thanks for coming all the way out here."

Marle poured hot water into a cup with a floral design, and held it out to me. Behind the cup, I caught sight of Marle's stomach. There's a baby in there. The amazing feat of cell division was playing out before my eyes. It thought of Marle as some mysterious entity.

"You didn't know yet, right?"

"Oh, uh, yeah."

She noticed me staring. In an attempt to gloss over my blunder, I drank the hot water. It was just the right temperature.

"This is good. How hot is it?"

I felt awkward, so I asked a really dull question to disguise it. This is no good.

"It depends on the amount of water, as well as the material and the size of the kettle, but for us, it’s probably been left for about 8 minutes after boiling. Although, you wouldn’t do that anyway, right? Just tell Kyrie."

Marle nodded with a knowing expression.

"Kyrie doesn't use the stove. She’s a bit more scared of fire than you'd expect."

Leslie says something about Kyrie that I didn't know.

"Well, doesn’t that stop you from doing anything?"

Marle was surprised.

"She's had a "traumatic" experience, as they say."

"I didn't know that."

"Well then pretend you don't. Unless she says so herself, don’t try to prize it out."

Leslie looked protective of Kyrie.

"I won't. I’ve never done anything to invade her privacy."

I smoothed it over with a vague answer. I would probably never get a chance to ask her, either. I recalled my last conversation with Kyrie. Though it ended before it even started. That's how it felt. Well, I was sure it was about to start. I was the one who ruined it.

"Really? I was sure that..."

"Hey, Leslie." I really wanted to avoid that kind of a topic right now. "Truth is, I want to go see Don Corneo. Would you tell me where he is?"

Marle's smile disappeared.

"Why don’t we go outside."

Leslie said in a low, monotone voice.

Pixel

The Pixie King
24. Kyrie, Going for a Meal

"Fine, I’m leaving things to you, then."

Kyrie declared as she slammed the car door closed with all of her might.

"Go home if you feel like it. We'll tell Evan to head your way if he comes back."

"That won’t do. Evan's not coming."

Man, thought Reno as he saw Kyrie off. It seemed like the Turks had got caught up in a young lovers' quarrel. He burst out in laughter.

"What’s going on?"

Inquired Rude, who had been watching the situation develop, as he came closer. He found it even funnier when it occurred to him that, despite Rude's blunt manner, it seemed he was actually quite interested.

"She said she was hungry, and was gonna go get some food."

"It’s amazing how much she underestimates us."

That’s exactly why we’re the beloved Shin-Ra, laughed Reno. However, he noticed that their opponent was scared of the Turks even now. She had goosebumps on her upper arms to her bare shoulders. She hurled stronger language than needed, and gauged the reaction. Though Evan may be fully at ease, Kyrie was still scared. She probably had a richer imagination than Evan.

"Hey, partner." Rude said. "She reminds me of Aerith."

"I was thinkin' that too."

Reno hoped that helping them out would at least allow him to begin making amends.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I think the chapter title for 25, ゲス野郎と会う - "Meeting with a Low-Class Man" probably localises better as Sleezy Man, Sleezebag or Low-life.

I also changed "Depend on Tifa" to "Count on Tifa'. The meaning is slightly different than Depend on or Rely on, but I feel it fits better.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I left my job lol

Im determined to finish this, Case of Shin-Ra and the FFXII one before christmas. Or before I find a new job.

Im gonna finish off up to chapter 30, then go back and fix stuff up. Ive skipped bits of Chapter 6, so that needs a bit of sorting out. And I might need some help with a few bits here and there.

Once thats done, we can discuss releasing the first part of the book. I think that was Hito's intention

Pixel

The Pixie King
Just fixing up Chapter 6. There are a couple of things Im not sure of.

Dont know if this is the right phrasing. Kyrie is explainig why it takes longer to find SOLDIER members in the lifestream, since they are more in tune with the lifestream.
「ソルジャーはライフストリームの影響を受けやすいのです。」
"Members of SOLDIER are easily susceptible to lifestream. "

And this. I just cant figure it out.

「それは息子が入隊直後に会社からくすねてきたものです。許されないことですが、今となっては、誰も文句は言わんでしょう。では、連絡をお待ちしていますよ。連絡先は、袋の中です」
"Shortly after my son enlisted, this arrived from the company. I know that it isn't permitted, With the benefit of hindsight, nobody would complain. So I waited to hear from him. The address is in a bag."
OR
It wasn't allowed, but it is now, nobody will complain. So I waited to hear from him. The address is in a bag."

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I had this for those parts:

“SOLDIER are more susceptible to the Lifestream's influences."

So basically the same. They 'easily receive the influence of the Lifestream'.

“My son pilfered these from the company right after enlisting. I realise that was a crime, but I doubt anyone is going to be complaining now. I will be waiting to hear from you. My contact details are in the bag.”

The way I read it was that Gould took materia (which you later learn were in the bag) from Shinra after he joined and brought/sent them home (くすねる is to sneakily take something, like from work/family/friends).

では、連絡をお待ちしていますよ。 sounds like he's ending the conversation/meeting (he is waiting to hear about what they find, that's why there's contact details in the bag).

Pixel

The Pixie King
Oh, nice, that makes more sense.

Do you know what this is?
「そりゃどうも。レズリーはねえ、わたしには隙が多いって言うけど」
I thought it was something like
"Oh thank you very much. Leslie think so, he tells me all the time."

And

This line doesnt seem in context after telling Kyrie that she's attractive
「とにかく、今日はおれが一緒だ。変なことにはならないよ」
"Anyway, I'm the same today. Nothing strange."

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I'm out of the house so this is just based on memory/reading what's there than what I put myself:

隙が多い I have taken as having lots of opportunities for men to take advantage of and hit on her. (隙のない女 would be a woman who is totally unapproachable, in contrast). I put something like she 'leaves herself too open (for men to start hitting on her)'.

The second line is Evan reminding/reassuring her that he is with her today, so nothing strange or weird is going to happen?

Pixel

The Pixie King
Oh, awesome. That'll be Chapter 6 pretty much finished. Seeing your explanation of the lines makes it seem obvious from the words I can pick out. :P

Cheers for your help

EDIT: Looking at those now
"Oh thanks very much. Leslie says I take too many chances."
or
"Oh thanks very much. Leslie says I leave myself too open."

隙=opportunity or opening

But Kyrie's bullshitting, right? In most cases, human individuality quickly dissolves in the lifestream, iirc. (I always think of it like Hades' big well of souls in the Disney movie "Hercules" . At first the souls are distinct, but as they get swept up into the current they merge into each other.)

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
But Kyrie's bullshitting, right? In most cases, human individuality quickly dissolves in the lifestream, iirc. (I always think of it like Hades' big well of souls in the Disney movie "Hercules" . At first the souls are distinct, but as they get swept up into the current they merge into each other.)

I assume she means in life, SOLDIERs are much better able to handle Mako and Materia and other gifts from the lifestream. I don't think she'd know how they'd be in death unless really is a legit Cetra.

Pixel

The Pixie King
She's claiming she can commune with a dead soldier to find gould arde. I skipped big chunks of that convo

Here's chapter 6 with all of the changes made, I just found stuff I missed. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense.

6. ミレイュ探偵社
6. Mireille Detective Agency

おれとキリエは大通りの終点―スラム育ちの連中は起点と呼ぶ―つまり、エッジとスラムの境界あたりを歩いていた。ここで街の雰囲気がガラリと変わる。スラムはまるで迷路だ 。その迷路を軽やかにキリエは進む。ステップを踏むように歩くキリエの足もとを見ながら、おれは、ノロノロと付いていく。キリエの後ろを歩くのが好きだった。理由は、言えない。
Kyrie and I walked along the main avenue toward the border between Edge and the slums. To the guys, the slums were a place they could call home. The atmosphere of the town changed completely here. The slums are like a huge maze. Kyrie advanced carefully through the maze. I followed at a snail's pace, watching her feet as she went step by step. I liked to walk behind Kyrie. The reason, I can't say.

「ファビオ、もう泥棒はしないって約束したのに」
"Fabio swore he wouldn't steal anymore."

「でも、ビッツのためだから仕方がない。あいっの立場ならおれも―」
"But if it's for Vits, it can't be helped. If it were me, I'd do the same..."

おれはしないだろう。いや、できない。計画くらいはするかもしれないが、同時に、実行しない理由もどこからか見つけ出すのだろう。そんな気がする。
I wouldn't. No. I couldn't. Sure, I'd plan it, but at the same time, I'd find a reason not to go ahead with it. That's what I think anyway.

「ルール違反だけど、どうする? 本当ならクビ」
"It's against the rules, so what are you gonna do?"

「許してやろう。誰もいなくなる」
"I'll let it slide. No-one died."

「ライフストリーム曰く―」キリエが突然言った。「エヴァンだけはずっと残る。なぜなら、彼はそれが最善の場所だと知っているから」
"The lifestream says," Kyrie said suddenly. "Evan will stay forever, because he knows its the best place to be."

その予言が本当ならどんなに楽しいだろう。
It would be great if the prophecy was true.

「ライフストリームは予言なんてしない。そんな設定はない」
"The Lifestream doesn't do prophecies. There's no such thing."

「予言も有りにすれば良かったな。そしたら大金持ちになれたと思わない? コスタ・デル・ソルで遊んで暮らせるかも」
"If I could make those predictions, don't you think we'd be filthy rich? Living it up in Costa del Sol."

「いや、リンチされてミッドガルの支柱に吊される」
"Nah, we'd be lynched and hung from Midgar's pillars."

「こわっ」
"Scary."

おれたち―キリエ、レズリー、ファビオ、おれ―は探偵社を営んでぃる。輝かしきその名はミレイュ探偵社。ミレイユはキリエのお婆さんの名前を借りた。お婆さんは生涯を詐欺 師として過ごした人だ。探偵社の名前としてはふさわしくないが、キリエが気に入っているのだから仕方がない。ちなみにキリエの両親は腕の良い―という言い方はどうかと思う が―スリだった。キリエ自身も、探偵を始める前は、当然のように、犯罪によって生計を立てていた。おれたちの出会いがどんなものだったか想像がつくというもの だ。
We - Kyrie, Fabio, Lesley and I - ran a detective agency. Mireille Detective Agency. It's got a nice ring to it. Mireille is a name we borrowed from Kyrie's grandmother. The old lady spent her whole life as crook. I guess it wasn't the best name for a detective agency, but Kyrie liked it. By the way, Kyrie didn't come from a very good family - that's not a very nice thing to say - but they were pickpockets. Before we started the detective agency, Kyrie lived a life of crime. I couldn't imagine why she would want to join us.

ミレイユ探偵社の主な業務は行方不明者を探し出すこと。開業して、ほぼ二年になる。ミッドガル崩壊から一年ほどの間は、人口の半分がライバルではないかと思うほど探偵は多 かった。時間を持て余している者は大勢いたし、失われた誰か、何かを探している人も多かった。しかし、今は、探偵も依頼人もあまりいない。世の中が落ち着いたせいだ。ほと んどの人、物がしかるべき場所に落ち着きつつある。パズルが完成しつつあるのだ。でも、需要が減ったといってもゼロではなかったし、加えて、商売上のちょっとしたアイディ アのおかげで、日々の生活には困らない程度に仕事にありついている。
Mireille Detective Agency's main business is finding the missing persons. It's been nearly 2 years now. There were many more detectives over the past year after Midgar's collape. Seemed like half the population were our rivals. Alot of people lost someone or something, and there were also alot people with too much time on their hands. There aren't many detectives these days, nor clients for that matter. It's because the world has calmed. Most people are settling down in the right place. Things are falling into place. But it's not a complete loss. Even though demand had decreased, we still got by thanks to some creative business ideas.

《ラィフストリ―ム、読みます》
'We read the Lifestream'

それがミレイユ探偵社の宣伝文句だ。キリエが特殊な能力、つまり、ライフストリームに秘められた様々な情報にアクセスする力を使って、失踪者や失せ物を見つけ出すというの がおれたちの特徴だった。一年ほど前、十七日間連続で依頼人がなかった時にキリエが提案した。もちろん、彼女は生まれながらにしてそんな能力を持っていたわけではない。いや、今でも、ない。レズリーは面白がったが、おれとファビオは懐疑的だった。いったい誰が信じる? しかし、驚いたことに、これが当たった。ライフストリームにはこの世を去った者たちの知識、記憶が溶け込んでいるというヨタ話を信じている人は意外と多かったということだ 。おれが無知なだけで、実は本当のことなのかと思ったくらいだ。実際のところ、おれたちが依頼を受けて、対象を見つけることができる確率は二割もない。それにもかかわらず 、数少ない成功例が口コミで広がり、依頼人が二日にひとりはあった。着手金と成功報酬をもらうことにしていたので、着手金だけでも、四人の生活を支える程度には稼ぐことが できた。けして詐欺ではない。キリエが、足を使って情報を集め、依頼人のために誠意を尽くすという、正しい探偵の姿にこだわったからだ。入り口と出口はイソチキだが、中身 は真っ当だ。
That's the slogan we use for Mireille Detective Agency. Kyrie uses her special ability to access information hidden in the lifestream to find missing persons or items. Kyrie proposed the idea about a year ago, after 17 without a single client. Of course, she wasn't born with this ability. Nope, not even now. Lesley was amused, but Fabio and I were skeptical. Who the hell would believe that? As it turns out, a lot. People believe stories that the memories and knowledge of those who leave this world merge with the lifestream. I was ignorant to whether there was any truth in it. In reality, there was only about a 20% chance of us finding something. Nevertheless, one of our few success stories spread by word of mouth, and we had clients within 2 days. It was decided to get a deposit upfront plus contingency fees. With the deposits alone, we were able to make enough to support four people. It's not really a scam. I mean, it is real detective work. Kirie gathered information for the client in good faith, because she's pretty particular about being a good detective. Sure, the ins and outs are a bit dubious, but the results are legitimate.

依頼の多くは、二年前、ライフストリームが吹き荒れた日に行方不明になったままの人か、なくした物の調査だった。ミッドガルやエッジに限ってしまえば、世界はそう広くはない。調査対象が生きていて、依頼人と会いたいと思っていればすでに再会を果たしているだろう。物の場合は、完全に失われたか、人手に渡ってしまい、もう世に出ることはない。二年というのはそんな時問だ。つまり、今、おれたちに頼る客は、半ば諦めている人たち。これでダメなら諦めようと思っている人たち。そんな彼らにとってミレイユ探偵社は 最後の砦なのだ。だからこそおれたちは誠実に捜索する。全員で集めた情報を下敷きに、ライフストリームというおとぎ話の要素を加味して、真面目にエピソードを紡ぐ。キリエはそれを、心を込めて依頼人に聞かせる。成功の場合はもちろん、失敗しても、客は、それなりに満足して帰ることができる。これほど人の心を慰める仕事が他にあ るだろうか。
Many of the requests are for people or items that went missing when the lifestream surged 2 years ago. Compared to Midgar and Edge, the rest of the world really isn't that big. If a person we search for is still alive, and wants to make contact, surely they would have done so by now. In the case of an object, which is completely lost, it covers human labour, it will never be seen again. Two years is a long time. In other words, clients who rely on us now, are people who have given up half way. Or people who intend to give up, because they're no good at it. Mireille Detective Agency's the last hope for them. We sincerely weave events together into a story, based on the information we all gather, and throw in elements of the fairytale of the lifestream. With that, Kyrie whole-heartedly tells the client. Of course, whether it's a success or failure, the client is able to go home satisfied either way. What other job can provide comfort to people like this?

「今日の客はどんな人?」
"What kind of person is today's client?"

前を行くキリエに声をかける。
I called out to Kyrie ahead of me.

「今日はアールドさんって人。贅沢は言えないけど、依頼人は女の人がいいな。男の人って、すぐ勘違いするから」
"Today, the client's name is Mr. Arde. I can't say I'm best pleased, but it's easier to work with female clients. Men just get the wrong idea."

キリエが客として知り合った男に言い寄られたことは一度や二度ではない。
Once or twice male clients made advances on Kyrie.

「キリエは、まあ、魅力的だからな」
"Well, you are pretty attractive, Kyrie."

おれはいつものように、ごく控えめに好意を伝える。
As usual, I'm not very good at giving compliments.

"Oh, thanks very much. Leslie says I take too many chances."

レズリーに一票。
One vote for Lesley.

「Well、今日はおれが一緒だ。変なことにはならないよ」
"Well, I'm with you today. Nothin' weird's gonna happen."

アールド氏がヨボヨボの爺さんでありますように。
Wonder if Mr. Arde's an old guy.

オフィスはスラムの奥まった所にある。元はキリエが家族と住んでいた家だった。家族といっても、おれが出入りするようになった頃には、すでにミレイユお婆さんしかいなかっ た。両親はたちの悪い奴の財布をスリ取って、その結果殺されてしまったそうだ。凄惨な話だが、その話をしてくれたのはミレイユお婆さんだったので、どこまで信じて良いのや ら。やがてそのお婆さんが風邪をこじらせて死んでしまい、キリエはひとりになった。しばらく落ち込んでいたが、悲しみを封じ込めると、彼女は家をオフィスに改造した。おれ とファビオ、レズリーの知り合い何人かで資材を集め、キリエの指示でそれらしく作り上げた。
The office is located in a secluded part of the slums. It was originally Kyrie's family home. When I came and went, her grandmother, Mireille was the only one left. As for her parents, they pickpocketed a wallet from a bad guy, and as a result they were killed. It's a pretty gruesome story, but I beleved it since it was Mireille who told me. The old lady caught a cold and died soon after. Kyrie was all alone. She was depressed for a while, but she remodeled the house into an office when she overcame the grief. I collected building materials along with Fabio and a friend of his, Leslie, and finished it under Kyrie's instructions.

オフィスに来た客が最初に目にするのは大きなテーブルだ。黒檀の天板は見事なものだが、脚はスラムで拾ってきた無愛想な鉄の棒だった。それを隠すために黒い布でぐるぐる巻 きにしてある。テープルの上には 「ライフストリームを読む」 という特殊能力を持つ女の雰囲気作りに役立つと判断されたものが雑多に置かれている。古い虫食いだらけの本、魔法使いを思わせる杖、丸い手鏡、何枚もの古い風景写真。背後 の壁には、刺々しく、不気味な山を描いた風景画、カーテン代わりのひらひらした黒布。明るい中で見るとガラクタの集まりなのだが、カーテンを閉めた薄暗い部屋の中、黒いフ ード付きのロープを被ったキリエが席に着くと、客は神秘の世界が放つ魔法にかかってしまうのだ。
The first thing clients see when they walk in is a big table. The top was a thing of beauty, but the legs were made out of rusty old iron rods that I found in the slums. I wrapped them with black cloth to cover them up. Little things like that helped create the atmosphere of a woman who has the ability to 'read the lifestream'. On it was an old, moth eaten book that looked like it belonged to a magician, a round hand mirror and several old landscape photographs. On the back wall, I put a painting of this creepy looking spiky mountain, and used some of the black cloth to look like fluttering curtains. It looks like a collection of crap when it's bright, but when we have a client visitting, we draw the curtains so it's dimly lit, and Kyrie puts on a black hooded robe and sits down, it kinda looks other-worldly.

「着替えてくる」
"I'll go change."

キリエは奥の私室へ行き、おれは定位置に座る。ドアの横に置かれた三脚の丸椅子だ。ほどなく、キリエはロープを羽織ってオフィスに戻ってきた。靴を脱ぎ、素足になっている 。地下を流れるライフストリームを感じるために、仕事の時はいつも素足―という設定に従って。
Kyrie went to her room at the back, and I stayed put. There were three chair sitting next to the door. Kyrie soon came back out to the office wearing her robe. She took off her shoes so she was barefoot. Apparently it was so she could feel the lifestream flowing beneath her feet.

「そろそろ来るはず。よろしくね」
"He should be here soon. Be nice."

おれはうなずきながら、ショルダーバッグからノートを出してメモの準備をした。
I nodded, then took out a notepad from my shoulder bag to take notes.

「さっきより、濃くなってる」
"Quick, dim the lights."

キリエがおれの顔を指さしながら言った。ほとんど痛みはをかったが、顔をしかめてみせる。ドアの外に人の気配がした。おれは客を迎えようと立ち上がる。ドアが開き、額が禿 げ上がった老人が入ってきた。七十歳くらいだろうか。背筋がしゃんとして、身長はおれとそう変わらない。ヨボヨボではないが、スキンへッドのタークスのような男でもなかっ たので、おれは安堵した。手には暗い黄色の紙袋を持ち、古いが、仕立ての良さそうなチャコールグレーのスーツを着ている。物持ちは良さそうだ。報酬は期待できる。
Kyrie pointed her finger right at my face. I grimaced, almost expecting pain. We heard the sound of someone outside the door. I stood up to welcome the visitor. The door opened, and an old man with a receding hairline entered. He must have been around seventy, I'd guess. He had pretty good posture, not quite as tall as me. He wasn't the feeble old man I had imagined, but I was just relieved he wasn't that skinhead guy from the Turks. He was holding a dark yellow paper bag in his hand, but he wore a well tailored charcoal grey suit. He looked wealthy. We should expect a pretty good reward.

「アールドさんですか?」
"Mr. Arde, is it?"

「そう。タイラン・アールド。あんたが―」
"I'm Tyran Arde. You are...?"

「キリエ・カナンです。アールドさん、どうぞソファへ」
"I'm Kyrie Canaan. Please, this way, Mr. Arde."

キリエは仕事用の低い声で、テーブルに面したふたり掛けのソファを勧める。
Kyrie directed him toward a small sofa facing the table in a soft voice.

「では、失敬」
"Oh, excuse me."

アールド氏は座ってしまうと弱々しい老人に見えた。肩を落とし、背中を丸めたせいだろう。
When Arde sat down, his back started to look more rounded. I think it was because he lowered his shoulders and hunched his back.

「後ろに控えているのは記録者エヴァンです。どうかお気になさらず」
"This is our analyst, Evan. He'll be taking notes. Don't mind him."

アールド氏は首をねじ曲げて振り向くと、おれにうなずいてみせた。記録者エヴァン。何やら重厚な響きが気に入っている。
Arde turned his head to look back at me and nodded. Analyst Evan. I like the sound of that.

「よろしくお願いします」
"Thanks in advance."

おれは静かに言った。神秘の演出に静けさは不可欠だ。
I spoke softly. Tranquility is essential to make it feel mysterious.

「これは―いささか緊張しますな」 とアールド氏。
"Don't be nervous," said Arde.

「それでいいんですよ。常ならぬ緊張状態はライフストリームを呼び寄せますから」
"I'm alright. I always get like this when we commune with the lifestream."

嘘ばっかり。
Because it's a lie.

「では、さっそくお話を」
"Well then, let's begin."

キリエが促すとアールド氏は上着の胸ポケットから何かを取り出した。おそらく写真だろう。
Mr. Arde took something from the chest pocket of the jacket and gave it to Kyrie. Perhaps a photograph.

「これを見てください」
"Please look at this."

思った通り、アールド氏が差し出したのは写真だった。キリエがテープル越しに手を伸ばして受け取る。
As I thought, Mr. Arde was held out a photo. Kyrie reached across the table and took it.

「前列の右端にいるのが息子のダールドです」
"That's my son in the front row, on the far right."

グールド・アールド。グールド・アールド。おれはそのリズミカルな名前を頭の中で繰り返した。
Gould Arde. Gould Arde. I repeated the rhythmical name in my head.

「ちょっと長めの髪の?」
"With the longish hair?"

「そう。だらしないですな」
"You mean, scruffy?"

「いいえ。では、ご依頼はこの息子さんを探すということでよろしいですか?」
"Well, er. So, you'd like us to look for your son?"

「いかにも」 そしてアールド氏は身を乗り出して 「何か、その―感じますかな?」
"Exactly," Arde leaned forward. "Do you feel anything?"

キリエは写真を見つめながら、アールド氏を押しとどめるように手のひらを見せた。
Kyrie stared at the photo, and showed her palm to stop Mr. Arde.

「お時間をいただけますか? そうですね、十日ほどでしょうか」
"Would you have the time? Maybe 10 days or so?"

「ほう―ずいぶんかかるものですな」
"Hmmm... it can quite a while."

「ご存じのとおり、ライフストリームは星を巡り、 常に移動しています。息子さんに繋がる記憶 を捕まえるには少し時間がかかるのです。ご期待に添えず―」
"As you know, the lifestream is constantly on the move within the planet. It will take a little time to find a memory that leads to your son. You shouldn't raise your expectations."

「いや、結構。そういうことであれば待ちましょう。わたしはそっちの方は、全然知りませんからな。いや、 正直に言おう。信じてもいない」
"No, it's ok. If that's the case, I can wait. I didn't know that. Well, to be honest, I don't believe it."

おっと。おれは警戒した。たまに、興味本位の冷やかしもいるのだ。
Oops, I was cautious. Sometimes I can be a bit over the top.

「では、どうしてここへ?」
"Then why are you here?"

キリエは落ち着いていた。
Kyrie was calm.

「できることはすべてやった。そう思って落ち着きたい―それが本音です」
"I've tried everything I could think of. I just want to settle down. That's the truth."

「わかりました。でも、きっと最後にはライフストリームの力を信じて頂けると思いますよ。それで、息子さんが行方不明になったのは、やはりあの日ですか? メテオをライフストリームが消し去った、運命の夜」
"I understand, but surely you believe in the power of the lifestream. After all, your son has been missing since that fateful night when the lifestream wiped out Meteor."

キリエがライフストリームをやたらと強調する。信じていない相手にはやり過ぎかもしれない。
Kirie excessively emphasises the lifestream. To a person who doesn't believe, it might be a little too much.

「もっと前ですな。息子は神羅軍のソルジャーで、まぁ、セカンドですから、たいしたことはあ りません。それが特別な任務でしばらく留守にすると連絡をよこしたきり―その写真は後で届けられたものです。後というのは、ほれ、あんたの言う、運命の夜の後。わたしはミ ッドガルに留まっていたものですから、受け取ることができたわけです。すぐにでも逃げ出したかったのですが、足を挫いてしまいましてね。しかし、そのおかげで息子の手がか りを手に入れたわけで― 足を痛めたことは、吉兆なのではないかと思って、ずっと行方を探しているわけです」
"My son is a Soldier 2nd Class in the Shinra army. He contacted me to tell me he was going away on a special mission for a while. The photo was delivered later. It was 'that fateful day', as you call it. It was only because I remained in Midgar that I recieved it. I wanted to leave, but I sprained my ankle. I guess it was fortunate that I was still there to recieve this clue to my sons whereabouts."

「この写真の場所は?」
"Where was this photograph taken?"

「この二年、いろんな人に見せてまわりましたが、結局わからないままです」
"Over the last 2 years, I've shown it to many people, but I still have no idea."

ァールド氏の背中がますます丸くなったように見えた。キリエが写真をおれに渡そうと差し出したので、立ち上がり、ソファ越しに受け取った。前列の右端。すぐにわかった。ソルジャーの制服のせいだ、ソルジャーは、いわば、神羅軍のエリート兵士。子供時代は誰もがソルジャーに憧れる。おれも一時期、そうだった。が、実際になろうとする者は少ないらしい。 おそらく不気味な噂のせいだ。彼らは常人とは違う能力を身につけるために、体内に特殊な物質を埋め込むとか、魔晄エネルギーのタンクに何日も浸かるとか、いろいる言われていた。
Mr. Arde looked back around at me. Kyrie held out the photo to me, so I stood up and went over to take it from her. Front row, far right. I found him immediately. He was wearing a SOLDIER uniform. SOLDIER was the name given to Shin-Ra's elite troops. Every child wanted to be in SOLDIER. At one point, I did too. But, there seem to be very few people who actually make it. Maybe it's just a weird rumour, but I heard that for normal people to acquire different abilities, their bodies are submerged in this special substance. They spend days in tanks, soaking in the Mako energy. That's what I've heard, anyway.

「写真はどのようにして届いたんですか? 世の中が混乱している頃ですよね?」
"How did the photograph reach you? Araund that time, the world was going a bit crazy, right?"

キリエが聞いた。おれも疑問に思っていたことだったので、写真を膝に置いて、アールド氏の後頭部に意識を集中する。
Kyrie asked. That was what I was wondering. I placed the photo on my knee, an concentrated on the back of Mr. Arde's head.

「―ある夜、ドアをノックする者がいましてな。息子はノックなんてするような奴ではないし、知り合いはミッドガルを下りてしまってぃたので―ゎたしは警戒して出なかったの です」
"...Someone knocked on my door one night. My son isn't the kind of guy who would knock. I didn't know many people in lower Midgar... so being cautious, I didn't go out."

「お気持ちはわかります」
"I know how you feel."

「かなり遅い時間でしたから、わたしは眠ってしまいました。そして翌朝、気になったので、ドアを開いてみたところ、男が倒れていました。オートバイ乗りの服を着た、背の高い男です。耳や口から黒い液体が流れ出していました。今でこそ星痕症候群だと知っていますが、あの時、わたしは初めて見たのです。肝を冷やしましたが、男が、かすかに動いて、しかも、息子の名を呟いたような気がして、そうなると放ってはおけません。家の中に引き入れてやったのです」
"It was pretty late, so I fell asleep. The next morning, I was concerned, so I opened the door. A man had collapsed. He was a tall guy, wearing motorcycle gear. A black liquid was flowing from his ears and a mouth. I now know it was the Geostigma. That was the first time I had seen it. The man was frightened, and was shaking slightly. I felt like he murmured my son's name when he came to, but he couldn't have."

アールド氏が黙った。当時のことを思い出しているのだろう。
Mr. Arde fell silent. He must have been remembering those days.

「ほどなく、そう、三十分もしないうちに男は死んでしまいました。それまで、わたしはなんとか息子のことを聞き出したくて何度も話しかけましたが、もう意識が混濁していた ようで、結局、聞けず仕舞いです。その後、身元が確認できないか衣類を探ると、それと同じ写真が十枚ほど出てきました。その他にも、個人の写真が何枚かありましたむ。それを見たわたしの後悔と言ったら―この男は間違いなく、息子の消息を伝えに来たに違いない。なぜわたしはすぐにドアを開けなかつた―」
"30 minutes later, the man was dead. Since then, I've spoken many times, trying to get information about my son. My memories seems to have become hazy, after all, I can't tell anymore. I checked his clothing, but couldn't find any ID. Though I did find about 10 photographs. Among them, there were some personal photos. I regret I saw them... I had no doubt, that guy had surely come to convey news about my son. That's why I didn't open the door right away..."

そしてまた熱り込む。あの時こうしていれば。ああしていれば。選ばなかった選択肢を思うと人生後悔ばかりだ。おれは、そういうタイプの後悔の塊だ。アールド氏の気持ちが手に取るようにわかった。
It felt hot and clostraphobic. How long is this gonna take? Well, that's how it is. When I think of the choices I didn't make, those are my biggest regrets in life is. I'm a mass of those types of regrets. I completely understood how Mr. Arde felt.

「アールドさん。ご依頼の内容はわかりました。でも、ソルジャー探しは通常より難しいので最初に申し上げた時間よりも多く頂くことになるかもしれません。ご了承いただけま すか?」
"Mr. Arde, I understand your request. But, it may prove to take longer than I mentioned at the start. Looking for a soldier is usually more difficult."

「時間は構いませんが、難しいとは?」
"I don't mind how long it takes, but why is it so difficult?"

「ソルジャーはライフストリームの影響を受けやすいのです。息子さんがソルジャーだとすると、 そのご友人たちもまたソルジャーである確率が高いですよね? つまりもし息子さんに関する情報を持っている人がソルジャーで、かっ、亡くなっていた場合―」
"Members of SOLDIER are more susceptible to the lifestream's influence. If your son was in SOLDIER, it's highly likely that that guy was in SOLDIER too, don't you think? In other words, the person with information about your son was in SOLDIER, and has died..."

キリエが嘘を並べ立て、アールド氏がそれを聞く気になつたのを確認するとおれは写真に戻った。古めかしい屋敷―ミッドガルにはなかったタイプの、石造りの大きな屋敷―の前に立っている十五人の男女が写っていた。年齢は二十歳前後、いや、何人かは中年といってもいいだろう。どこかの村の住人たちと派遣されてきたソルジャーの記念写真。そんな 感じだった。ほとんど笑顔のない、記念写真としては不思議な印象の写真だ。笑顔を見せているのはグールド・アールドと―
Kyrie finished lying. I checked how Mr. Arde was after hearing that, then looked back at the photo. There was an old mansion - the kind of big stone mansion that you don't find in Midgar. 15 men and women stood infront of it. They were around 20 years old. Well, a few were probably middle-aged. It looked like a commemorative photo of members of SOLDIER and the inhabitants of some village. Almost no smiles, it seemed a bit strange for a commemorative photo. Gould Arde was smiling.

「それでは、よろしくお願いします」
"Well, thank you."

アールド氏が席を立つた。
Mr Arde got up from his seat.

「アールドさん!」
"Mr. Arde!"

声がかすれた。アールド氏とキリエが驚いておれを見遣。
My voice became hoarse. Arde and Kerie looked at me with surprise.

「ああ、失礼」 アールド氏がうなずきながら言った。「着手金ですな」
"Oh, excuse me." Said Mr. Arde, nodding his head. "Here's the deposite."

そして持ってきた紙袋をキリエに渡す。
He handed the paper bag over to Kyrie.

「それは息子が入隊直後に会社からくすねてきたものです。許されないことですが、今となっては、誰も文句は言わんでしょう。では、連絡をお待ちしていますよ。連絡先は、袋の中です」
"Shortly after my son elisted, he pilfered these from the company. I realise that was a crime, but I doubt anyone's going to complain now. I'll be waited to hear from you. My contact details are in the bag."

「ちょっと待ってください。アールドさん、この写真を持ってきた男の名前はわかりませんか?」
"Wait a minute. Mr. Arde, do you know the name of the man who brought this photo?"

おれは聞いた。
I asked.

「ああ。写真の裏をご覧なさい」
"Oh, look at the back of the photograph."

言われたとおりに写真を裏返すと、男の名前と電話番号が記されていた。
When I flipped it over, a phone number and the name of a man were written on the back.

「その電話は通じませんでた。そもそも当時はミッドガルの電話は不通になっていましたからな」
"I can't get through to the number, since the phones in Midgar were cut off back then."

「他にも個人の写真があったんですよね?」
"Are there photos of the individuals anywhere else?"

「そう。老若男女いろいろありました―おそらく、集合写真の人たちの家族なんでしょうな。全部裏に同じ連絡先が書いてありました。想像ですが、 あの男は、 離ればなれになっている家族を再会させるために病を押して歩き回っていたのではないかと―」
"Well, there were lots of men and women of all ages - perhaps the family of the people in the photo. The same address was written on the back of all of them. It may be my imagination, but that man way have been walking around in spite of the illness, trying to reunite families."

「その写真はどうしたんです?」
"Using the photographs?"

おれはァールド氏を遮って聞いた。
I stopped Mr. Arde and asked.

「誰かの役に立つかもしれないと、訳の掲示板に貼っておきました。ニ年近く前なので、もう無い でしょうが―」
"They may be useful to someone, so I put them on the bulletin board. Though it was a year ago, so they may not be there anymore."

アールド氏は残念そうに首を振り、出ていった。
Arde shook his head regretfully and left.

「ねえ、エヴァン、すごい! アールドさんがくれたの、なんだと思う? マテリアが二個。ってことは成功したらもう二個ってこと?」
"Wow, hey Evan! Look what Mr. Arde gave us, what do you think? Two materia. If we succeed, do we get these?"

「キリエ―」
"Kyrie..."

「前は時々お店で売ってたよね。幾らだったかなぁ。ちゃんと見ておけば良かった」
"Shops sometimes buy them in. Wonder how much they go for. You should take a look."

「駅へ行かないか?」
"Don't you want to go to the train station?"

「今から?」
"Right now?"

「うん。掲示板が見たい」
"Yeah, to check the bulletin board."

「アールドさんが貼った写真を探すの? 二年前でしよ? もう、 ないよ」
"To find the pictures posted by Arde? Think they'll still be there from 2 years ago?"

キリエは、マテリアに心を奪われているようだった。
Kyrie seemed distracted by the materia.

「それもそうだな」
"Could be."

「ねえ、これを使ってソルジャーは戦ったんでしょ? 訓練次第では魔法みたいな技も使えちゃうんだよね」
"Hey, don't they fight using these in SOLDIER? They use skills like magic, depending on their training, right?"

「おれ、帰るよ」
"I'm going."

「え? ごはん食べに行こうよ」
"Huh? Let's go get something to eat."

やっとマテリアから目を離しておれを見た。
Finally, she took her eyes off the materia and looked at me.

「うん、今日は帰る。なんか調子悪くて」
"Yeah, I'll see you soon. I'm not feeling good."

「大丈夫? 目? タークスにやられたところ?」
"Are you alright? Is it your eye? From being beaten by the Turks?"

キリエが、心配そうにおれの顔を覗き込む。
Kyrie looked at me with an anxious expression.

「どうだろう。寝ればなんとかなると思う」
"I guess. I think i'll be fine once I get some sleep."

目をそらさないように努力して応えた。
I made every effort to avert my eyes.

「ちょっと待ってて。着替えたら、送るね」
"Wait a minute. I'll just change my clothes."

キリエはそう言って、奥の部屋へ入っていった。 おれは机の上にあったメモ用紙に、明日、同じ時間にセブンスヘブンで、と書き残してオフィスを出た。
Saying that, Kyrie went back to her room. I left a note in the pad on the desk, saying that I would see her in Seventh Heaven tomorrow, at the same time, then left the office.

スラムの道には未だに慣れていない。近道をしょうとすると確実に迷う。それがわかっているのに、当てずっぽうに曲がり、案の定、迷った。駅に着いた時には、柱時計の針が頂 点で重なりかけていた。おれはホーム近くの掲示板に駆け寄る。街のあちこちに立てられている掲示板のひとつだ。何枚ものメモが押しピンで乱雑に貼り付けられている。風雨に さらされて判読不能なものからついさっき貼られたものまで。おれはタイラン・アールド氏が貼ったという写真を探した。二年前のものが残っていると期待したわけではない。し かし、確認せずにはいられなかった。もちろん、なかった。期待したわけではないのに、裏切られたような気がした。腹立ち紛れに、掲示板の支柱を蹴りつける。振動で、貼られ ていたメモが一枚、足下に落ちた。文面が目に飛び込んでくる。
I'm still not used to the slums. I was sure I'd get lost if I tried taking a shortcut. I figured I'd try, and sure enough, I got lost. When I arrived at the station, the hand on the clock had overlapped at the top. I ran up to the bulletin board near the house.It was one of the bulletin boards they put up all around the city. Lots of notes were pinned all over it. They ranged from ones posted pretty recently, to ones from a while ago that were now illegible due to being exposed to the wind and rain. I searched for the photo Tyran Arde said he had posted. I didn't expect that something from 2 years ago would still be there. But I couldn't help but check. Of course, it wasn't there. Though I didn't expect it, I had a feeling that I was betrayed. In a fit of anger, I kicked the struts of the bulletin board. One of the notes came loose and fell at my feet. The words jumped out at him.

《パパ、ママ、わたしはリズおばさんの家にいます セディ》――下手くそな子供の字だった。
《Daddy, Mommy, it's Ceddie. I'm at Aunt Liz's house》― It was written by a little boy.

おれは慌てて、そのメモを掲示板に戻そうとした。しかし、ピンが見当たらなかった。仕方なく、掲示板から、広告らしき内容のチラシを一枚剥がしてポケットに押し込み、その ピンで、見知らぬセディの貼り紙を元に戻した。
I quickly tried to put it back on the bulletin board, but I couldn't find the pin. Reluctantly, I tore off an advertisement flyer and put it in my pocket, and used the pin from it to put Ceddie's note back on the board.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I'm giggling looking through this Corneo chapter.

"Come on, Evan. Don't judge a person by their appearance. This is a fundamental part of life, but it's easy to forget. Keep that in mind. I had a terrible experience, because I forgot that."

And once again, he looked at the photo on the wall.

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
Pixel I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you translating the novel! I can't wait til you post more! You have made me a very happy lady lately! Thank You!

Ivette

Donator
Maybe the guy with geostigma who died trying to bring the photo to Tyran Arde was Kunsel!!

If that were the case, it would break my heart! : Miedo: : Miedo: I rather it to be Luxiere, I never trusted that guy... (proposing that if he were allowed to catch Zack, he might get a promotion and use his "new found authority" to help Zack?........ Yeah, why not? http://media.tumblr.com/780fc12677720229a46a1e3b3a37bfed/tumblr_inline_mrjyxwO3AY1qz4rgp.gif : Shifty:

Pixel

The Pixie King
25. Meeting with a Low-life

I headed toward Midgar's central pillar, as directed by Leslie. Looking up, I used the wires running through Midgar's steel frame as a rough guide. I couldn't remember the way. It was, to me, a revelation about walking the slums. When I asked why he hadn’t told me earlier, he shot me down saying it was just common sense. Before long, I was right below Midgar's Sector Six, where I lived. A huge concrete wall came into view. This general area must be Wall Market. As well as it being the red light district of the slums, it seemed to be a place where most things could be acquired so long as you had the cash. If it was that kind of place, then anyone living in the slums would knows of it. Before I met Leslie, there were actually a few times when I thought of asking about it. But asking for directions in the slums... was frankly something I was afraid of. I can't tell the difference between a kind person, and someone pretending to be kind, in order to deceive you. The thought of being taken somewhere dark, and getting murdered scares the shit out of me. Especially now, when I’m carrying all of this money. I was so concerned that Leslie would notice how insecure I was. But it seemed Leslie didn’t have the time to think that far, today.

"Hey, Evan."

I remembered Leslie's parting words as he took me half way.

"Don't use Corneo's name in front of Marle. Ever. Got it?"

Don Corneo seemed to be the so-called "boss" of Wall Market.

"Understood. But, why?"

"If think of yourself as my friend, don't ask again. Ever. Got it?"

"...Yeah."

Leslie replied without so much as asking my reason for going to see Corneo.

-----

Wall Market. It doesn't have the exhilarating hustle and bustle of a market. The air is stagnant. Must be the corruption. It was a place ruled over in silence, like a graveyard. Several men and women were squatting down all around. I was careful not to make eye contact, as Leslie told me, and headed toward a house furthest at the back. It was a pathetic house, faded like old artificial flowers, though it was nicer than everything around it.

-

I stood in the doorway, and rang the doorbell.

"Hello."

"Who is it?"

A deep, man's voice came from the other side of the door.

"Cloud sent me... from the delivery service."

There was no answer. I heard footsteps moving away from the doorway. Perhaps he was passing on my message. Despite feeling uneasy, I took another look around. A number of glassy eyes were staring at me. No. Perhaps they weren’t actually looking at anything. Before long, the door opened, and a man appeared. He was a giant man with a side parting, and piercing eyes. He had a long scar on his cheek. My eyes wandered. Belch.

"Come in."

"Okay."

I followed after him, as if I was being taken in. The smell caught my attention. A sickly sweet smell flowed into every corner of my nasal cavity. The interior decoration of the hallway was similarly in tatters. Wallpaper was falling off in places, revealing the plaster underneath. Could I really get fuel in a place like this? First of all, what reason did I have for believing that guy from the delivery service? Was I going to let my doubts stretch that far back? What do I do? Should I make up some excuse, and come again? Oh! I almost raised my voice unintentionally. When I left the car with Reno, I should have tried asking about fuel. I could have come here after they turned me down. I, surely, definitely, made the wrong choices. Perhaps my being here now is punishment for that? I want to get out of here. Let’s escape. Yeah that’s what I’ll do... but, before I knew it, the big man and I had arrived in front of the door at the end of the hallway.

"Take care not to be disrespectful."

The big man opens the door without knocking. I hesitate, but he pushes me from behind, and I stagger into the room.

--

There was nobody there, so I stood at the door, and looked around the room. It was a strange room. A large, round bed occupied most of the not so spacious room. A great many number of photos were stuck on the walls. A quick glance revealed that they were all women. They ranged from childlike girls who seemed to be in their early teens, to older women who were close to being elderly.

“Hoo-wee”

I heard a strange voice from the back of the bed, on the other side of the partition. It was a weak voice, like his breath was just leaking out. Before long, I heard the sound of metal creaking, and a little old man in a wheelchair appeared. He was wearing a gaudy red suit. Its gaudiness emphasized his dull appearance.

"So, I heard Cloud sent you?"

The old man, who seemed to be Don Corneo, said in a shrill voice. Below his balding head was a wrinkled face. But only one eye shone brightly. They fully contrasted, the lifeless eyes I saw outside. Maybe he wasn’t as not as old as he looked.

"Yes."

"Your name?"

"..."

"What is your name?"

"Evan. Evan Townshend."

Why is it I can never lie at times like this?

"Alrighty, I got it. You're Evan. Evan Townshend."

I shiver went down my spine.

"Um..."

I wanted to take care of this business and go home. Or, really, it didn’t need to be taken care of. However, the other party directed his gaze to the wall as if to say he was no longer interested in me.

"Hmm, damn that Cloud. Meeting him was the start of my downfall..."

He seemed to be looking at the photos on the wall. I also followed his gaze.

"Huh?"

Three women appeared in a what looked like a hidden camera shot. One was Tifa from Seventh Heaven. Even just that was a surprise, but then, there was the fact that the woman in the middle was clearly a cross-dressing Cloud. Feeling like I had seen something that I shouldn’t have seen, I quickly averted my eyes.

"Well, youngin’. What is it that you want?"

"I want to go on a road trip. I need fuel. Can you get your hands on some?"

"Can I get my hands on some? Is this old man capable of doing something like that? Is that what you mean?"

"No, that’s not what I meant..."

"Evan, was it? Don't judge a person by their appearance. This is a fundamental part of life, but it's easy to forget. Keep that in mind. I had a terrible experience, because I forgot that."

And once again, he looked at the photo on the wall.

"You probably think I'm just some weak, old guy, but I'm not that old. Well, I'm not young, either. My body is like this now, and I can’t do things the way I used to, but hey, I'm filthy rich."

Corneo pointed his right hand, which was covered with gaudy rings, at photos around the room.

"As long as I have these, I can get my hands on most things, and keep most people quiet."

I immediately understood what Corneo was saying. This guy's a low-life asshole.

"...Except for dear Cloud, here. He's just about the only one who treats me like some handyman. A real something, he is. Anyway, the fuel. At dawn tomorrow, the main avenue of Edge. The south end. I'll have it brought there. Is that okay with you?"

"Alright, I’ll pay you then."

"I don't need money. Instead, tell Cloud that it was free."

"No, I want to pay."

"You don't want to be in my debt? Then do as you like."

"How much is it?"

"All of your money. Free, or all of the money you have on you. Difficult choice, ain’t it? Well, you’ve got some time so think it over. By the way, Evan." Corneo narrowed his eyes as he looked at me. "Are you related to Shinra?"

My heart rate jumped.

"People sometimes say I look like the idiot President. Unfortunately not."

"Is that so? Well then, have we met?"

"Nope..."

"Hoo-wee, I see, so that’s how it is? Wait just a minute."

Corneo's wheelchair screeched as he disappeared to the other side of the partition. I went to a photo with Tifa in it, and quickly tore it off while keeping an eye on the partition. This shouldn't be here. Then, I took a look around the wall. Countless photos of dressed up or half-naked women were stuck on it. That moment, Marle's smiling face disappeared. I remembered Leslie's expression when I mentioned Corneo's name. Near the end of the wall, I found it. She looked thinner than she was now, but it was definitely her. I tore off the photo of the Marle, and shoved it in my pocket.

"I found it, I found it,”

As Corneo returned in a good mood, I gazed innocently at pictures on the wall.

"I’m pretty sure it was right here..."

Corneo was flipping through a thick album on his lap. Then, he took out a small photo from it, and showed to me.

"That's you, isn’t it."

I looked grumpy in the photo. I was wearing a stupid looking party hat. It was a photo my mother took for fun on my 15th birthday. It was her favourite and I was sure that she carried it around in her wallet. Why did Corneo have it? No way! I flipped out. I looked at the photographs of the wall. My Mom was a...!?

"What? Oh, no no. That photo was posted on some bulletin board. I ordered my men to bring me that sort of thing from all over the place. Until about a year ago, information on missing people was worth quite a bit of money, you see. Check it out, there are contact details written on the back of the photograph. Guess this means someone out there is looking for you."

"Who... would be looking for me?"

"5000. No, you're an acquaintance of Cloud, 1000 Gil will do."

"Annette Townshend?"

"Nope. Bad luck. I’m not giving you any more hints. 1000 Gil if you want to know the answer. It's a bargain."

"You..."

“Hoho?”

"There are people who couldn’t be reunited, because you tore off those photographs. Did you think of that?"

"You’re exactly right. But, why would I care?"

"You scumbag."

"Oh, Evan. It seems you've seen through me. That's great, kid."

I pulled the shoulder bag hanging by my waist around to the front and was about to take out the money. Rufus ShinRa's pistol came in contact with my fingertips. The money or the gun, which one?

"Evan, look here."

As I lifted my head, I saw that Corneo had taken out a revolver without me noticing and pointed it at me.

"If what comes out of there is something other than money, I’m gonna shoot."

This scumbag probably shoot for real. I wasn’t about to be shot dead by Corneo in a place like this. I inserted my hand into the paper bag, pulled out a roll of bills, and threw it on the bed. Then, I grabbed the photo.

"Pleasure doing business with you."

Corneo said while smirking.

"I'll deliver the fuel. I'm a man of my word."

I thought that was hardly something to be saying while pointing a gun at someone, but I just wanted to leave as soon as possible.

"Hey, kid. If there are any photos on the wall that you'd like, take as many as you want. I have copies of all of them."

I left the room while cursing the shallowness of my own cautiousness. I walked further, exited, and took a deep breath. The air outside was better than inside the house, but it still left me feeling depressed. I left Wall Market without stopping, without looking back. I took the photos out of my pocket as I walked. First, I looked at the one with Cloud in it. What the hell were Cloud and Tifa doing? Who's the other person? When I turned the photo around, it was marked "Cloud, Tifa and Aerith". Aerith? This girl is Aerith? Aerith, the Ancient. She told Kyrie that her parents had died, was kidnapped by Shin-Ra, and then died. Aerith was connectioned with Cloud and Tifa.

《A number of things happened》

I remembered Tifa's half-hearted smile. I tore up the photo of Tifa and company, and scattered the pieces at the roadside.

《If you think of yourself as my friend, don't ask》

I recalled Leslie's words. I tore up the photo of Marle, and discarded it the same way. Finally, there was my photo. Nick Foley's name, and the phone number of my house were written on the back. He must have put my photo up on the bulletin board, assuming that I had already gone down to the slums. Then, he went up to Midgar, and expired at Mr. Arde’s home. If I had seen the photo on the bulletin board, then we might have been able to be reunited. Even though Nick was about to lose his life to Geostigma, we might still at least have been able to meet briefly. I might even have found out where my mother was. I was robbed of that opportunity by that low-life scum.

Top Bottom