Visual Breakdown of FFVII Remake E3 2015 Trailer

Lex

Administrator
What crack are you on Mo? I was just making a general statement XD. This is the first time it's actually looked like the OG buster sword in the whole darn diddly compilation.

Sublime

Gravitas? What gravitas?
The iron box takes less space than the golden area, I don't see how it could've been covered.

It's very possible that the larger segments of the gold hilt have been removed and replaced by the steel plating here, which would explain the length issue. However, the grooves on the blade are identical as is the golden adornment that connects the handle to the hilt. It cannot be a coincidence that these things are so finely detailed. Why would SE go to all the trouble of retconning the general look of the sword but keep this tiny things so perfect?

I have to agree with Zergeron here. Not only does the gold segment appear longer but also wider than the iron box when viewed relative to the sword as a whole in each version. If anything, the iron box should be significantly longer and wider. (Although I'll concead that the side segments could perhaps have been removed)

There's also the point that I mentioned before, that the segment of Gold showing in the new version doesn't actually exist at all on the CC version. The gold is only on the sides and on the handle. Not in the middle.
And in actual fact this could be a case of "What Colour Is This Dress" (WCITD) because when you view the trailer again and pause it at varying points the colour alternates between gray and gold as the sword moves.

I agree that the iron box over gold hilt explanation would be nice and tidy but I'm just not sure that SE have really put that much thought into it.

It could certainly still be that Cloud simply removed all traces of the gold hilt completely and that he perhaps damaged the sword in doing so. The iron box could then actually be a sort of homemade repair.

I can't believe I'm analysing this so much.

hleV

Pro Adventurer
To further prove my point, check out the comparison between Compilation and Remake Buster Swords, both from a similar angle.

ihjbn1Q.png

As you can see, the golden handguard parts stick out at the bottom and are on the same level as the expanding hilt part that connects with the handguard.

5FnQecc.png

Here, there are no golden handguard parts sticking out at the bottom of the handguard and the expanding hilt part does not have any "neighbors".

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Personally, I don't see how hard it would be for the visual team to decided the shrink the gold engravings in size so they could fit under the metal guard. Scale varies greatly from game to game so that the player can actually tell what they're looking at. Just make the gold part a tad slimmer and it fits under the metal guard perfectly. We even see the lower part of the engravings in the trailer, so that's a good bet.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I'm going with the idea of Cloud popping the gold off and selling it for gil. :monster:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Considering he got rid of stuff like the pauldrons and gloves he started off with, it wouldn't be that unlikely. Gotta wonder if this means it ends up staying that way post-game or he ends up putting it back on later.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
Just spotted something else that may or may not be relevant.. For a second there is a white sign that comes into focus between Barret and Cloud. Kinda reminds me of the 7th heaven logo. Can't seem to pause it without it blurring.

Sublime

Gravitas? What gravitas?
Just spotted something else that may or may not be relevant.. For a second there is a white sign that comes into focus between Barret and Cloud. Kinda reminds me of the 7th heaven logo. Can't seem to pause it without it blurring.

I was bored so I tried to capture it:

XP9DzOG.jpg

I can't actually remember what the 7th Heaven logo looks like.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
Something along the lines of that. Might be wrong but it's strange that it focuses on it briefly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 3

josh007cl

Lv. 1 Adventurer

I actually found a sign that says something like "cas style bar" with Heaven above it. I can't read it all because it's cut off.

pGVwFE9.jpg
DrYZOiJ.jpg

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
@S&G: Zack & Angeal attacked with the Buster Sword's blunt edge, whereas Cloud attacks with its sharpened, which explains why they hold it the opposite way on their backs.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
To further prove my point, check out the comparison between Compilation and Remake Buster Swords, both from a similar angle.

ihjbn1Q.png

As you can see, the golden handguard parts stick out at the bottom and are on the same level as the expanding hilt part that connects with the handguard.

5FnQecc.png

Here, there are no golden handguard parts sticking out at the bottom of the handguard and the expanding hilt part does not have any "neighbors".

Your line placement there is wrong though.

You're assuming that the metal attachment between the crossguard & hilt is the original, despite the fact that the Compilation one is gold, and the Remake one is the same grey colour as the sword.

If you box in the whole gold section, and re-wrap the hilt, the metal bit that transitions from the hilt to the crossguard/blade is going to have to be placed higher up. You're not just gonna reuse the original one. Yeah you lose like an inch or so on the hilt, but that doesn't really matter all that much:

m7t6kkZ.png

3K1XyUw.png

So, no. I don't buy your argument here.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
SandG just noticed the Cloud and Zack sheathing the sword differently? I've been raising hell about that for years that Cloud mounts it upside down in Dissidia when he shouldn't. Even in the original game they hold it in opposite directions. Zack's way is stupid, as you're liable to slice the back of your leg, and the blunt edge bit is stupid too, but I was nonetheless fine with CC keeping the way Zack held it. But why does Cloud hold it wrong in Dissidia? Bugs the crap outta me.

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher

I thought the same thing too at first, but after investigating it, it turned out to be nothing. I was working from 2,500 hi-res stills so I had a pretty unobstructed view.

@S&G: Zack & Angeal attacked with the Buster Sword's blunt edge, whereas Cloud attacks with its sharpened, which explains why they hold it the opposite way on their backs.

A good point well made. I'll add a line about this to the quote below.

lol what have you done SandG

I'm not even sorry :D

However, this isn't the S&G show and obviously my opinion is only one of many. I would much rather the article reflected the views of the community, so I proposed an amendment to the article yesterday (I've quoted it below, amendments are in yellow) because the whole this is speculative by its very nature. Unfortunately, it hasn't been changed yet. I don't have admin privileges and can't update it myself, so if Lex or Shademp are reading this, could one of you please make the change asap.

NOTE - I've since added another couple of lines as requested by Lex and X-SOLDIER.

Anyway, seeing as this matter is being debated more than any other, our opposing views should be reflected in the article. I would thus propose that the paragraph be changed to:

"Once more, Cloud’s appearance in Dissidia changed things again, and it’s that look which seems to have made it into the remake. Does this mean the Buster Sword’s design has been retconned again? The short answer is: maybe not. It could be speculated that the creators have been exceedingly clever here. Instead of dismissing what they’ve already worked on, it seems like they have either simply added steel plating around the gilded hilt or replaced the larger segments of trimming with ordinary steel. It is unlikely that so much effort would have gone into preserving the exact grooves on the blade only to discard the iconic gilded section. Look closely and you may see the base of the gold trimming peeking out from below. Also note that the leather on the handle has altered, yet the golden adornment that connects it to the butt has not. Furthermore, the hilt on this particular reproduction is the closest we've seen to the original, even down to the detail of how many bolts are welded onto the steel plate. This, however, is all open to interpretation, but it makes perfect sense from a plot point of view because so much emphasis was placed on the sword in Crisis Core that any SOLDIER who had served with Zack or Angeal would recognise it instantly. I personally can’t wait to see how they address all these little issues in time for the full release.

One final thing that might be worth mentioning is the way Cloud has attached the Buster Sword to the magnetic holder on his back: it is the reverse of how Zack did it in Crisis Core. As we know, Zack preferred to use the blunt edge of the blade (for ethical reasons), while Cloud always used the sharp edge. Its retrieval in battle, therefore, would have to be reversed. In addition, it could be further symbolism of how the two live parallel lives but are opposite, the same way that the whole Strife vs Fair surname situation did."

Also, if an admin is reading this, the line about occulation should be changed to "process" rather than "processes".

Cheers folks.

Last edited:

hleV

Pro Adventurer
Your line placement there is wrong though.

You're assuming that the metal attachment between the crossguard & hilt is the original, despite the fact that the Compilation one is gold, and the Remake one is the same grey colour as the sword.

If you box in the whole gold section, and re-wrap the hilt, the metal bit that transitions from the hilt to the crossguard/blade is going to have to be placed higher up. You're not just gonna reuse the original one. Yeah you lose like an inch or so on the hilt, but that doesn't really matter all that much:

So, no. I don't buy your argument here.

I actually took everything on the sword into consideration, including the position of materia slots, the area its wrapped in and smaller details.

Even if the the golden hilt connector was replaced, the iron box is still too small to wrap the whole golden area.

Anyway it would be my guess that the gold on the Compilation Buster Sword is only on the surface and was scraped off for Remake rather than replaced. Note how the outline of materia slot wrapper is no longer golden neither.
Or perhaps it's just lighting and the actual color is different from what we see in the trailer.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
With all this talk about the buster sword, it does make me wonder if they'll explain the change. I do like that it's returning to it's original look.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2015-06-19-11h13m16s159.png
    vlcsnap-2015-06-19-11h13m16s159.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 25
  • vlcsnap-2015-06-19-11h13m52s77.png
    vlcsnap-2015-06-19-11h13m52s77.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 25

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
okay i don't want to go through 7 pages, but has anyoen else pointed out that the people we see in the trailer are Cloud, Barret and Aerith (the flower clearly represents her anyway :monster:) and they were the 3 original characters of FFVII?

Sublime

Gravitas? What gravitas?
okay i don't want to go through 7 pages, but has anyoen else pointed out that the people we see in the trailer are Cloud, Barret and Aerith (the flower clearly represents her anyway :monster:) and they were the 3 original characters of FFVII?

Erm well, as much as it was a trailer for an entire game it was kind of alluding to the opening scene especially with the intro to Bombing Run so yeah... that's not really anything particularly noteworthy.

@ S and G - Maybe seeing as the article is becoming more and more inflated it might be a good idea to split the text relating to each still into Fact and Speculation.

i.e
Fact - Here's what you can see in this still.
Speculation - Here's what we think it might be/mean.

Perhaps it's not really necessary, I'm just a total whore for organising things.

Top Bottom