• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

How to improve your artistic style?

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
gentlemen? As a line artist, I'd like to expand my horizons on better coloring, but since I lack the time now adays, I strive to improve my lines to the point It is flawlessly clean. But I hope to improve my coloring soon.

So tell me, what do you do to improve your art style? I merely read Mr. Watsuki Nobuhiro's works for inspiration and Dacon's file on perspective (which I have yet to try and implement btw).

Artists, or aspiring artists, share your ideas y'all. And so I can gain some profit as will you :monster: :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Stick with whatever works with you, but experiment when you feel comfortable.

But fuck, I've been stuck in the same rut for years *shrugs*.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
[quote author=Cookie Monster link=topic=472.msg14985#msg14985 date=1233884323]
Stop using line and stop using pencil. Start using charcoal and I suggest you study light before getting into color.
[/quote]

Enlighten me my arch enema, how do I study lighting before getting into color? don't tell me I have to sketch AGAIN? :' (

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
You should sketch everyday before doing a serious work. Try drawing things irl. Take an object or person and put them in front of a light where you'll get some nice shadows.

Like this:
(Nude Artwork, beware)
IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

I suggest drawing with charcoal because it'll take you a ridiculous amount of time to do this with pencil. Try to draw the light hitting the form rather than the entire form itself. I know this isn't your style, but drawing things irl, will greatly improve your manga/comic art.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
[quote author=Emperor Joker link=topic=472.msg14987#msg14987 date=1233885103]
[quote author=Cookie Monster link=topic=472.msg14985#msg14985 date=1233884323]
Stop using line and stop using pencil. Start using charcoal and I suggest you study light before getting into color.
[/quote]

Enlighten me my arch enema, how do I study lighting before getting into color? don't tell me I have to sketch AGAIN? :' (
[/quote]

get some photos and study how light bounces in them. I'd also suggest picking up "Practical Light and Color" by Jeremy Vickery. It's very insightful into light and color dood.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/jvi01.html

Pick it up when you have some monies.

Also, when it comes to figures, try breaking them down into simple shapes and forms, then experiment with lighting those forms.

I have an image representing what I'm talking about by stjepan sejic. Let's see....

Ah here we are.

TUT3.jpg

And what Road says is right. Practice sketching whenever you can, especially before working on an image.

Btw this should be moved to the proper section.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
I look for art that makes me say "Wow, what a beautiful coloring job," try to analyze what it is about the piece that I appreciate and how the artist achieved that, and then try to put it into practice myself.

Of course, I'm sure that's exactly the wrong way to go about things and that all the art students will tell you so.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
I do have problems drawing hands and feet though. It's been a tough time for me to keep it alright an' shit.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
If we're talking about an animated styles, I have a good tutorial saved in my DA favorites, but DA is fucking up and not displaying the collection for me right now.

http://ravynnenevyrmore.deviantart.com/favourites/#useful-resources

If you look in there, you'll also notice that I collect stock images of hands in various poses. Sometimes I'll study how it looks and just by osmosis I'll be able to put it into practice on a free-drawn hand, but usually when I have to draw a hand I'll select (or look for) a picture of a hand in a similar pose and use that to guide me.

Mormz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dustin
Road: Charcoal sucks balls, dude. It's so messy and gets EVERYWHERE. And it smears really badly, too.

Mumbz, if you want to get better at hands and feet, the only thing you
can do is draw hands and feet. I hate drawing hands, but my art teacher
makes us do alot of work with hands and I've improved drastically.

Another thing, contour. Start drawing your hand using blind contour,
slowly following an imaginary line along your hand that's moving along
with your pencil. Do this, then do a half-blind contour where you only
look when you switch to a new line. After that, move into regular contour
where you can look as much as you want. This will give you a really good
feel for the shape of the human hand.

It's a pain in the ass, but it works.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Fuck trying to make something that looks like something, shit on the floor and call it art, you'll be a gabillionaire within 24 hours.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
I mostly practice with the shapes when I'm working on line art. I'm fairly good with facial protraits but I toally screw up anything beyond that (especially full body poses). The only way I've improved at all was by trying with simple poses and veering off from that and by following the circle-square-triangle trick.

Top Bottom