• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Thelifestream.net audio commentary?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
A while ago, the subject of making a fan audio commentary came up.

Personally, I think it's a nifty idea. Whether anyone will actually end up giving even two shits about our opinion is a different subject, but I think it's definitely the kind of content you don't get all that often (if at all) on websites.

It's been talked about a couple of times but nothing really happened yet. I don't wanna let this idea die so here you can post suggestions and ideas as well as opinions about the whole thing.

My question is: How would we get multiple people into one commentary? Have everyone record his personal commentary then edit it together?

Also: How would it best be recorded? Quality, recording device, audio format? Does it even matter? Suggestions for that in here as well pl0x. :monster:

I'd like to contribute to the whole thing if we ever approve of the idea...I could contribute some nerdy facts from the Reunion Files und Ultimania as to make the commentary more informative even though it's not a director's one...or something like that.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Pixel finished his, didn't he? I could swear I remember downloading it, and that he sounds Irish :monster:

Since Pixel did it, then if he gets here he'd be able to give better advice. I think he linked to a site with a collection of people's home-made commentary tracks that probably would have had stuff about it, but it was on ACF so is lost now.

I think stuff like nerdy trivia would be better/slightly more interesting than 'lolz, look at Cloud here'. But I don't really know how, outside of getting people in a room together, that you might get multiple people together for one. Unless something like Skype could be used to record people together (I think podcasts have been made that way, so it shouldn't be that difficult).

Dumb Apple

Soul Wrought of Terra Corrupt
AKA
Geostigma, Omega Gist
Either that or have everyone record individual commentaries and then just splice them together.

^_^ I think it's a grand idea though.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Yeah, I think recording separately would be best. Otherwise it could be done over skype, and individually recorded on something like Audacity. I know a few podcasts that are done that way.

I prefer the separate approach. It means it can be editted, so no awkward silences or talking over eachother.

Audacity is free, and easy to use. Cant remember if i had to get an extra mp3 plugin for it. think i did. You could use any old microphone, really. I have a microsoft lifechat one, which is really clear. I tried using a cheap one but it got all muffled when you breath near it, which wasnt great. I would recommend messing around with it to make sure the setup is ok before doing a proper recording.

As for content... We should write up a little plan of what we want to talk about, just as an outline, incase we run out of things to say. And even concentrate on certain things in our individual commentaries, like the history of the compilation, fan reception etc.

I tried doing this before, but it was the first time i had tried, and wasnt really too sure what i was doing.

If it is informative and entertaining, it'll be great, but just having a load of fanboys talking would be a bit boring.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
[quote author=Pixel link=topic=14.msg48#msg48 date=1227433176]
As for content... We should write up a little plan of what we want to talk about, just as an outline, incase we run out of things to say. And even concentrate on certain things in our individual commentaries, like the history of the compilation, fan reception etc.[/quote]
I think having a plan beforehand would help stop it from just been fanboy prattling.

Mic: I have a headset which I got from Amazon for about £3, which works well enough. As long as the mic isn't too close to your face, it doesn't pick up breathing that much. The computer I usually use it on is ridiculously loud at time, though. I might try it on my much quieter laptop, as long as the rest of the house remains quiet (which is rare here; I'm surprised not that have gotten the police around for the noise).

Audacity: I don't remember ever installing a plugin, but I was just able to export an mp3. Maybe the newer versions include it as standard (or I just forgot that I installed a plugin).

As long as it gets mentioned that it's "First Ken", not "First Tsurugi", and that it only refers to that first sword Cloud uses in the film, I'll consider it a success. If only people would pay attention.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Gah, the First Tsurugi thing annoyed me. It's funny how people took it as a name even though Nomura just said, "lol, this is the first sword he uses" (oh, and good job pointing out the obvious, Nomura...>_>)

I think I have a good idea of what I'd be talking about...like, background info I know about, goofs in the movie, maybe some easter eggs that are visible and perhaps things that the creators might have mentioned etc.
Also, a little bit about my personal opinion and why I think that the visuals in this movie are actually rather boring (GREYNESS =/)

I have a small mic as well as my mp3 player which can also be used as a recording device. I'm not yet sure which one to use, I think the mp3 player actually has a slightly better quality.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Another issue is where to host the final mp3. I hate rapidshare and all of those sites. I dont know any good free hosting.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=14.msg50#msg50 date=1227438383]
Gah, the First Tsurugi thing annoyed me. It's funny how people took it as a name even though Nomura just said, "lol, this is the first sword he uses" (oh, and good job pointing out the obvious, Nomura...>_>)
[/quote]
I still think it is a name (he says 'we called that 'First Ken'), but just not the name of the whole thing or anything. Just the one Loz knocks away.

Dumb Apple

Soul Wrought of Terra Corrupt
AKA
Geostigma, Omega Gist
Pointing out stuff like easter eggs would be a fun thing to do. People really enjoy that, and some are easier to find then others. <<" It took me for frickin' ever to catch the FFVII boxart.

As for hosting, I have a premium FileDropper account. I'm not sure if that's much better then RapidShare, but it's worth a shot.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
On hoasting, I'm pretty sure the file could be compressed to a decent size, but we probably can't host it from here - there's roughly 15 GB's of bandwidth available, and that can be gone pretty fast if a popular file's hosted on it, =D.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Yeah, a decent mono recording would be around 40mb. I suppose we could just host the file on a few free filehosting sites. That way it'll definitely be available.

I guess the first thing we should sort out is participants. Im definitely in. I can also edit. Once we have participants we can sort out a gameplan.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I don't know if I could participate with my crappy equipment, or lack of any savvy and charisma when it comes to this stuff :monster: I tried to make a little practice commentary, and I wouldn't inflicted that on anyone else. Writing stuff down is definitely a good idea imho.

I was thinking, since ACC is meant to be released in March, then Feb. next year would be a fitting time to get it finished and released by? So people could go back to AC once more before buying downloading downloading ACC :monster:

And in lieu of my probably-not-participating, other stuff I could have mentioned apart from the First Ken stuff would be about the name 'Healin Lodge'. The original game already had a similarly named location, 'Icicle Lodge' (Inn in the English game).

But seeing as that's the sort of stuff I'd be contributing, it's a good thing I'm not going to be part of it :monster:

[size=small]This sounds like fun. I'd love to help out, whether it be actually adding my voice or just helping write the script. [/size][size=small]Audacity, I use this program and it's great. I had to install some MP3 plugin I believe, but it was really quick and easy.[/size]
[size=small]On hoasting, I'm pretty sure the file could be compressed to a decent size, but we probably can't host it from here - there's roughly 15 GB's of bandwidth available, and that can be gone pretty fast if a popular file's hosted on it.[/size]
[size=small]I could probably help with this. I've got tons of extra bandwidth on my website if you just needed a place for people to download it. [/size][size=small]I technically have[/size][size=small]? MB of "[/size][size=small]Monthly Bandwidth Transfer".[/size][/]

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Probably a fair use policy of sorts, we've got the same thing (theoretically unlimited bandwidth), but we kinda ran into that one when we had a 'tarded shoutbox which consumed over 12 GB of bandwidth in a month :monster:.

It might also be an idea to format the commentary into a video clip, perhaps with some stills from the movie (that have been made public by SE itself), which would probably avoid copyleft stuffs. That could then in turn be put onto Youtube, for justice and greatness.

[size=small]Ya, which is why I said "technically" cause I've heard that from other people before. [/size]

[size=small]*goes to call free tech support people at my hosting company*[/size]

[size=small]I told them the basic plan, file of rather large size being downloaded by a lot of people, and they said I wouldn't run into any issues with them so... *shrugs* [/size][/]
[/]
[size=small]It wouldn't hurt to try. XD[/size][/]
[/]
[size=small][/][/size][size=small][/][/size]
[size=small][/][/size][size=small]It might also be an idea to format the commentary into a video clip, perhaps with some stills from the movie (that have been made public by SE itself), which would probably avoid copyleft stuffs. That could then in turn be put onto Youtube, for justice and greatness.[/][/size]

[size=small][/][/size][size=small]That's also a good idea.[/][/size]

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm seeing that bug you've talked about rite nao, quite odd imho.

Also, shouldn't this thread be in Active Projects for the greater justice?

Pixel

The Pixie King
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=14.msg368#msg368 date=1228240831]
Also, shouldn't this thread be in Active Projects for the greater justice?
[/quote]
I was actually going to suggest that :monster:

About the youtube thing... That would mean it would be split in 10 minute blocks, and wouldnt really be a commentary that you play while watching the film, since the viewer would have to stop and start to keep it in sync.

Hopefully we can get a few more people involved, maybe even from other fansites. I work for FF-XIII.net, so maybe i could hook some people in from there.

Once we have enough people (4-6) should be plenty, we can get a plan together.

Maybe we could even do another one for ACC when it comes out. :P

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I moved this topic fgj and to test my power abuse :monster:

Perhaps there could be two versions, a YouTube one for people just to listen to whenever they have time and a proper full length one. Of course, that doesn't solve bandwidth problems, but I'm not here to make useful suggestions :monster:

Pixel

The Pixie King
I've got Kyle from FF-XIII.net/gamingunion.net on board. He can also help with the audio if anything needs cleaned up :)

Dart-123

Lv. 1 Adventurer
If you mean a Podcast, that would be AWESOME!

I've heard of people using Skype to hook up, recording the conversations w? Audacity, and then sending the recorded files to one person who would somehow combine them.

I'm not sure if this is the exact method, but it makes sense, right?

Pixel

The Pixie King
Not sure. I have seen some vids that are very long, like 2 hour playthroughs of games. But I think they belong to subscribers.

[quote author=Pixel link=topic=14.msg768#msg768 date=1228519562]
Not sure. I have seen some vids that are very long, like 2 hour playthroughs of games. But I think they belong to subscribers.
[/quote]Well, if it wasn't that much I'm sure we could all pitch in a bit... though I can't seem to find any info on subscribers.

Top Bottom