• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
LOL, well other people sadly died in that game. Death had a field day in FFXII :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Reks was a worthless pretty boy and his death made me giggle for some reason.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni
Somehow I'm hoping by the end of it all that Noctis gets mortally wounded during the ensuing battle. Maybe that's just my odd mind or whatever but I'm really itching to see something truly drmatic and dark so that it can tie in nicely with the whole Gothic landscape and seemingly dreary architecture (i.e: in front of the supposed palace during the trailer) .

That and like spirit_chaser stated, I really hope that they get Alexander O. Smith to do the translations for the English port. Oh man those translations would be just golden if they make it sort of anachronistic and slightly Shakespearean (though not overly so, mind you. What I mean to say is, dialogue sort of reminiscent of FFXII would be just beautiful to me.

God my mind's running on an odd wire today. :D
Anyway 'tis my thoughts for ze upcoming Versus XIII game.

And I agree I thought that Reks from FFXII was rather forgettable. I actually favored Vaan a bit more than I did him because he didn't look so much like a girl to me.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You really live up to your avatar, Dacon. :monster:

The point of Rekks was to illustrate just how savage war can be, and that while Rekks is faceless and forgettable, his death influenced and changed the course of the person closest to him, thereby entangling him into war as well. He's a "faceless casualty." He's also supposed to show just how the innocent are made to suffer as well.

Most people not knowing what FFXII was really about kinda got tricked, thinking Rekks would be the main character and then getting a kick to the pants when he just ends up being murdered.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Thank you for taking the time to explain glaringly obvious plot points to us feeble peons Master Mako.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
although if a death is that forgettable, then it doesn't even register and hence, counts as sugarcoating since everyone else we care about (ie. party members) is fine :)

y/n?

not just talkign about XII here since I missed half the storyline, lol

I want all my party members to die. Won't that be glorious? :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I want to see Aerith's innards spill out of her belly when Sefiros skewers her all in glorious HD.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It really is subjective on what deaths are and aren't memorable, and considering Rekks' importance to the story, I felt it was memorable despite him being just some kid on the battle field. I can think of some memorable deaths in FF of party members and secondary characters that are pretty up there.

I mean, what you're looking for is a straight up tragedy game, LOL. None of the FF's have ever been a straight up game of tragedy, except arguably...Crisis Core. And that's just cause you *know* Zack's doomed from the start, so it feels like a tragedy because you're leading up to his eventual demise.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I dunno, I thought the ending to FFT was pretty bleak. In fact, I think if Versus is going for a Shakespearean tragedy feel, they should probably aim for or above FFT proportions.

Though generally speaking, Crisis Core probably is the only FF that is straight up tragedy.

Or, they could go the route where everyone dies save for the main hero (I guess Noctis in this case), but in the end, he learns that he had been fighting for the "wrong side" so to speak, and all his comrade's deaths were in vain. To me, ends where the characters actions amount to nothing are the most dark/dramatic/depressing.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=54.msg6399#msg6399 date=1231291338]
It really is subjective on what deaths are and aren't memorable, and considering Rekks' importance to the story, I felt it was memorable despite him being just some kid on the battle field. I can think of some memorable deaths in FF of party members and secondary characters that are pretty up there.

I mean, what you're looking for is a straight up tragedy game, LOL. None of the FF's have ever been a straight up game of tragedy, except arguably...Crisis Core. And that's just cause you *know* Zack's doomed from the start, so it feels like a tragedy because you're leading up to his eventual demise.
[/quote]

I thought FF7 was a tragedy before we discovered everyone didn't die at the end.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
What did you find bleak about the FFT ending?

@Dacon

LOL, see I never thought they all died at the end.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=54.msg6430#msg6430 date=1231307963]
What did you find bleak about the FFT ending?

[/quote]

The whole thing with Olan and the Durai Report being burned from existance was kind of sad to me. It was like, yeah the heroes beat Altima and all, but the corruption still continued.
I guess bleak isn't quite the right word, considering Alazlam uncovers the truth and all. Still, seeing what all the characters go through and how things end up for them, I found it pretty sad :(

I guess, what I'm really trying to say is that tragedy isn't really about making the story a gigantic bloodbath. I don't necessarily agree with the idea of having multiple deaths to create a dark/mature/tragic storyline, even though I don't disagree with the idea either. Instead, I'd rather see the characters make their mistakes while facing the harder concequences for them, other than death alone.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

[/quote]

It's not like they did anything to imply otherwise.

Especially with all the talk about the planet deciding whether or not to wipe humanity out and all.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
[quote author=Dacon link=topic=54.msg6452#msg6452 date=1231317625]

[/quote]

[/quote]

...laughing children at the end?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I don't remember how the original went now, but the script for AC's version mentions smoke coming from Midgar as a sign of human life.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=54.msg6453#msg6453 date=1231318842]
[quote author=Dacon link=topic=54.msg6452#msg6452 date=1231317625]

[/quote]

[/quote]

...laughing children at the end?
[/quote]

Doesn't do much for a black screen after seeing a giant meteor collide with the planet, then that 500 years later bullshit.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
@Makoeyes987: I have to say that I personally find your idea for a plotline to be pretty appealing. In Versus, they could somehow have one of the main characters that's allying with Noctis betray him in a way. Maybe one or two of his supposed "friends" could be relaying information to the opposing side and plotting his demise . . . maybe . . .

Hmm maybe they could be from the opposing side completely.

That's just an idea that I came up with right off the bat.

But honestly something very dramatic and intense, something really suspenseful--not necessarily gory, could really change the plotline. I was heading towards something tragic, along the lines of Oedipus--where the main character realizes that he unknowingly will bring about his own downfall (Or maybe in Noctis's case the downfall of his country).

In Noctis's case, he could obliviously and blindly trust his friend and in the process not notice that he was walking into a set-up.

But like I said before they could add on the whole "friend betrays him" thing for pure dramatic flair. For some reason, I find that the betrayal of a loyal friend can really darken up a war-based plotline. :-\

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Versus' cover art needs to have the shot of them all walking towards the camera, with the subtext "Backstreet's back".

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Alright! :neo:

For some reason, I find that the betrayal of a loyal friend can really darken up a war-based plotline.
Can he also run off with Noctis' girlfriend? :D

In all seriousness, if there comes a moment where Nocty-boy has to choose between his country and his lover, can he be the exception, NOT think with his dick, and let her die? :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Noctis picks that guy with the glasses over Stella f-some-manner-of-j :monster:

Then picks his country over him as well :monster:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Lol.

Or you never know Noctis could just go for that burly guy with the scar 'cause you know he needs some protection and wub!! <3

Oh wow . . .

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=54.msg6361#msg6361 date=1231280077]
Well I think FFXII was a good example of them staying true to that vein right there. Reks is crying in heaven right now, actually :monster:
[/quote]

Except FFXII was written by a separate team, whereas Versus' staff consists of Nomura, Nozue, and another Kingdom Hearts guy.

Joy of joys.

But yes, FFXII did indeed have balls.
Reks, Vossler, Reddas, and Gabranth all kicked the bucket, when they could have wussed out ala Compliation. ho noes, Cloud is(n't) dead, Vincent is(n't) dead, BC Turks are(n't) dead.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
@Masamune

She was speaking of Square in general, and I don't think you or I believe the Compilation of FFVII is the entirety of S-E.

And I love you tactfully gloss over Crisis Core. :monster:

Top Bottom