So that's how you fooled them.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So in the last of my many playthroughs of the game, I noticed a part that I never really paid attention to before. When you head into the Honeybee Inn, you leave Aeris who is immediately swarmed by men. When this happens, the following dialogue occurs:

Cloud: "Hm...so that's how you fooled them."
Aeris: "Hm...so that's how you'll fool them."

What does this mean, I feel like I'm missing a very clever joke though it's vastly more likely that it's a translation error. Anyone know?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I would guess that given the context, it's referring to how to appeal to a lecherous individual like Don Corneo (basically looking for hints for crossdressing), and Cloud & Aeris making light of the situation. Albeit, it's probably a bit of a translation hiccup too, since it's rather unclear.

X :neo:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Translation error. It's actually missing a line of dialogue, replaced by a duplicate of Aerith's line. Cloud is meant to say:

"There's something in here I need to crossdress... I know it."

Aerith is meant to have the 'that's how you'll fool them' line.

I've heard people say that Cloud's line sounds more like he just wants to go into the whorehouse than anything else :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Wow, so FINALLY I know what this line was supposed to mean.

...can you translate the whole FFVII script for me? =D

But seriously, I'm stuck playing a copy with a BAD translation from the English version which itself is BADLY translated from the Japanese. That's one annoying shitpile of a translation!

Dumb Apple

Soul Wrought of Terra Corrupt
AKA
Geostigma, Omega Gist
@.@ That sucks.

I remember when I first realized that the Cetra weren't a bunch of interstellar hippies. The script in the English version makes it sounds as the Cetra traveled from Planet to Planet, not simply traveling the Planet.

:monster: Here's hoping.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
hahaha, yep, I was rather proud of myself when I put together the pieces of Cetra traveling from planet to planet (on my second playthrough at 12 years old when I really paid attention to the dialogue).

It was several years later that I discovered that they were in fact, merely stellar hippies :) That was a pretty hefty screw up too, there are still people who are misled about that part of the storyline. At least "This guy are sick," "That's how you fooled them," and "Off Course!" didn't affect the plot.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=30.msg166#msg166 date=1227878915]
...can you translate the whole FFVII script for me? =D
[/quote]
Someone actually told me to do that before. "If you're going to complain about it all the time, why don't you just translate it all again yourself, huh!!???11:monster:"

But picking out what's wrong is a lot easier :monster:

I think "That's how you fooled them" destorys the plot, by depriving English gamers of realising Cloud's true, deprived desires for visiting whorehouses.

Anzu Mazaki

Pro Adventurer
Haha I remember that line. The PS1 version had so many funny engrish lines though...

I think my personal favorite is Jenova's ONLY line being misspelled...

"Beacause Cloud...you are a puppet." ~Jenova

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
[quote author=hitoshura link=topic=30.msg488#msg488 date=1228310677]
I think "That's how you fooled them" destorys the plot, by depriving English gamers of realising Cloud's true, deprived desires for visiting whorehouses.
[/quote]

I also believe that it destorys the plot of Cloud wanting to visit the brothel. :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
[quote author=X-SOLDIER link=topic=30.msg673#msg673 date=1228457258]
I also believe that it destorys the plot of Cloud wanting to visit the brothel. :monster:

[/quote]
That's a feature. It keeps in with the mood of the game :monster:

[quote author=looneymoon link=topic=30.msg669#msg669 date=1228456767]

As evil as she is, I feel kinda bad for Jenova. I mean, the only line she has in the game, and they screw it up.
[/quote]What is the proper translation of that line?

[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=30.msg718#msg718 date=1228493201]
I think that's right, they just misspelled 'because'.
[/quote]Oooh... wow. I've seen people quote that line a million times and never picked up on the spelling mistake. Reading skills ftw.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
The line in the Shinra building when they talk about Rufus, "no one's ever seen him bleed or cry" or something was also a little off. "Having no blood nor tears" is an expression meaning cold-blooded or heartless, which got translated literally. In English it sounds like he's a robot or something :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I never knew that, actually, that's interesting. The English certainly doesn't sound like heartless, but I never thought he was a robot, it just made him sound really tough, but that definitely changes the meaning of the line.

Anzu Mazaki

Pro Adventurer
Yeah that does change the meaning significantly but I guess overall they got the point across- he's scary. =D

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I personally prefer the idea of Rufus getting a sword cut from Cloud, and he just stands there with a bloodless open wound, and completely dry eyes as if nothing happened.

Thanks for clearing that one up. I'd never really thought too much about that line after having to correct >9000 people that it wasn't referring to Sephiroth, it was in fact about Rufus.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
[quote author=looneymoon link=topic=30.msg669#msg669 date=1228456767]

As evil as she is, I feel kinda bad for Jenova. I mean, the only line she has in the game, and they screw it up.
[/quote]

XD I never noticed that before!

[quote author=hitoshura link=topic=30.msg727#msg727 date=1228502724]
The line in the Shinra building when they talk about Rufus, "no one's ever seen him bleed or cry" or something was also a little off. "Having no blood nor tears" is an expression meaning cold-blooded or heartless, which got translated literally. In English it sounds like he's a robot or something :monster:
[/quote]

Aw, really? I think I like the literal English version better. :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
[quote author=X-SOLDIER link=topic=30.msg1727#msg1727 date=1229088227]
I personally prefer the idea of Rufus getting a sword cut from Cloud, and he just stands there with a bloodless open wound, and completely dry eyes as if nothing happened.
[/quote]
... Just like a robot :monster:

Are there any other lines that seem strange in the English version? I'm interested to find more now.

On a similar theme, what sometimes gets called a translation error but actually isn't is a line from FFX.

"I wanna be a blitzball when I grow up!"

That's meant to be like that. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I've never heard of anyone saying that FFX line was a mistranslation. It's said by a little kid after all. I thought it was cute. :)

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I've seem people call it a mistranslation or list it as an example of an error sometimes.

Others just get that kids aren't that bright :monster:

Top Bottom