• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Midgar 3D Model - Yes it's still going!

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
The large central column that serves as a support structure that the Train spirals around to reach the Slums could hold the answer to a lot of this. In addition to bringing up the Mako that vents around the city that we see around the HQ, the large surface area around the pillar could work well as somewhere to vent off fumes & replenish air. This is another reason that the pollution under the plate would be amplified if all the bad air was being released around the area. (It'd also account for the big pipes all around the HQ).

As a place to hold a large number of SOLDIER & perform experimentation on a large scale, it's much more practical than Hojo's Lab or the ShinRa Manor. Especially since the large number of Corporate Employees that are present, in the Tower. The Roboguards, and other advanced measures have been put in since the incidents with Genesis, it's understandable that ShinRa would keep an interest in those things, but attempt to bury any information 0 both figuratively and literally.

It also makes sense from a construction standpoint. Logically a HUGE city like Midgar would need a source of power to start with in order to get everything up and running. It would make sense that the Central pillar was created first. Then the outlying sectors on the plate would be established, with a reactor to support each (you can't make a plate with nothing to put it on). This way, even if all of the Reactors go down, the HQ doesn't need to worry about its power supply & security.

(I'd be all up for delving into a more in depth analysis of Midgar's construction & Architecture in other thread if you guys're up for it).

X :neo:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I know this was discussed 2 months ago, but I was reviewing this thread again and I thought I'd mention that while I agree with CC/DC's color schemes, I prefer the open showroom, I like having a clear view of the glass Shinra sign and that you can see everything from the balcony on the second floor. (Also, the FF7 escape would have been a lot tougher with a closed showroom ^_^)

As for the reactor post-Meteorfall, it could be running on super-low conserve-power mode which would explain why there's not really any visible activity. But during DC I imagine the thing had been cranked up and smoke/Mako should probably have been visible during that big fight scene.

NoenGaruth

That Guy With The Midgar Model
AKA
NoenGaruth, Stolz, Blitzwing, Ryoko Asakura, Judge Magister Gabranth, Col. Hans Landa, Itsuki Koizumi, Treize Khushrenada
[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=59.msg22940#msg22940 date=1235566207]
I know this was discussed 2 months ago, but I was reviewing this thread again and I thought I'd mention that while I agree with CC/DC's color schemes, I prefer the open showroom, I like having a clear view of the glass Shinra sign and that you can see everything from the balcony on the second floor. (Also, the FF7 escape would have been a lot tougher with a closed showroom ^_^)
[/quote]

I was thinking of going with this myself, cause the bike scene is very memorable and an open lobby looks better. ;D

[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=59.msg22940#msg22940 date=1235566207]
As for the reactor post-Meteorfall, it could be running on super-low conserve-power mode which would explain why there's not really any visible activity. But during DC I imagine the thing had been cranked up and smoke/Mako should probably have been visible during that big fight scene.
[/quote]

Makes sense, since Reactor 0 wouldn't be powering HQ or anything on the surface anymore it doesn't need to have as much output

NoenGaruth

AKA
NoenGaruth, Stolz, Blitzwing, Ryoko Asakura, Judge Magister Gabranth, Col. Hans Landa, Itsuki Koizumi, Treize Khushrenada
*Phoenix Down*

Hah HAH! This thread never dies, merely goes into hibernation for long extents of time! :monster:

Alrighty progress has been slow lately as it's been cosplay season and I've been very busy, at the moment I'm making my costume I'm wearing to San Diego Comic Con, which will be very epic but is taking a lot of work.

Anyways I haven't really made anything new but my Modeling PC at work wasn't being used today so i thought I'd let a few renders of Midgar run, only this time it's at day! (Which actually looks a lot nicer)

Firstly here's an epic shot of the whole city~ (Anything that's bright white has no texture btw, cause they do stand out)

Sector 4 with some very dark mountains behind it (that ground texture was made for the night time setting)

Another shot of the city

Moar HQ

And here's something that isn't really new but I haven't shown much of it before, the Sector 6 slums, which still needs a lot of work (Also notice the light grey object thats mostly hidden behind rocks at the bottom of the pillar.....that's be the infamous honey bee inn which I've gotten most of the base mesh done on, and I'll talk more about that further down the post)

And finaly, Aerith's Chuch, that sits at the base of Reactor 5, and is FF7 accurate unlike that stupid AC one which is like in Sector 6, and if were true would mean Cloud would need glyding wings to fall onto it from the Reactor :awesome:

Well that's all I have, and now a sepcial announcement:

Lifestream, I need your help with a very important, if not the MOST important piece of my Model, and that is of course......The Honeybee Inn.
Now I've started modeling it and I've got the base of the outside and inside done, however, im stuck with the texturing process cause as many of you remember, there are a lot of signs on the front of the Inn, and what I'd appeciate is help identifying the Japanese characters on them so I can reproduce them. (Also if anyone wants to provide translations of what they say it'd be fun to hear!)

So pretty much I need help with the ones in green (the big one above the door is mostly clear but I wanna make sure what I make is accurate)
honeybeeinnsigns.jpg

And again it'll be slow with updates until August, then everything will be back in full swing as I wanna get this damn thing finished since I've been working on it long enough.

Edit - Thank you for the move Mako!

Last edited:

Yahriel

Zack Fair
AKA
Yahriel, Zack, Zack the Wolf
Holy fucking... o_o WOW. That looks amazing.
I think I remember following this to some extent on ACF...?

Trying to do a kanji lookup on the main sign. The others... I can't identify enough kanji to deciefer from something indistinct. =/

You're doing all the texture work yourself? Wow... I always get stuck on that... (strictly speaking about SL), I can model the day through, but I can't make textures for crap. XD

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Looking WAY awesome. I'm mega glad that this is back up.

I'd message Hito about finding out those characters on the Honeybee Inn. Also here's a link that's got a bunch of Midgar pictures of the model that was displayed that might help with the little city pieces that populate the sectors on the plate.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura

Large sing about door, and smaller one to the right (with 3 hearts above it):
蜜蜂の館 (Honeybee Inn)

Orange mat on the floor:
歓迎 (Welcome)

I can't make out the other two. The one on the right seems to be (??)会社, but it's not very clear.

NoenGaruth

AKA
Large sing about door, and smaller one to the right (with 3 hearts above it):
蜜蜂の館 (Honeybee Inn)

Orange mat on the floor:
歓迎 (Welcome)

I can't make out the other two. The one on the right seems to be (??)会社, but it's not very clear.

Thank you so much! It's a shame the other two two signs aren't clear enough, tho perhapse you could give me some random smut in japanese I could throw up instead? :awesome:

Looking WAY awesome. I'm mega glad that this is back up.

I'd message Hito about finding out those characters on the Honeybee Inn. Also here's a link that's got a bunch of Midgar pictures of the model that was displayed that might help with the little city pieces that populate the sectors on the plate.

Ooo cheers, I've got plenty of pics of the real model but that one in the link that has a closeup of the sectors is something ive been trying to find for awhile ^_^

Holy fucking... o_o WOW. That looks amazing.
I think I remember following this to some extent on ACF...?

You're doing all the texture work yourself? Wow... I always get stuck on that... (strictly speaking about SL), I can model the day through, but I can't make textures for crap. XD

Yep that was me on ACF, nice to see people who were following this at the beginning.

And yeah these days I make all my textures myself, tho the model does still have a fair few from a star wars game all over the place, but since I'm a lot better at photoshop now I'm in the process of phasing those out for my own.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Thank you so much! It's a shame the other two two signs aren't clear enough, tho perhapse you could give me some random smut in japanese I could throw up instead? :awesome:
Trying to fit in with what seems to be there already:

Sign on the left: マッサージ (massage)
Right: 風俗会社 ('entertainment'/sex business)

:monster:

NoenGaruth

AKA
lol sex business :awesome:

I like, thankye I shall use these on the other signs.

Emma

The Minish Elf
I demand a remake from you now! :P

No, really, great work. You should considered applying for a job at SE's headquarters.

NoenGaruth

AKA
Holycrapthethreadisaliveagain!

But yes, thanks glad you like the model (I'd love to work for Square although I'm not sure what their hiring policy is...)

And umm yeah....I haven't updated this in months....I've been busy with cosplay, and things.... I've like....improved some pipes on the outside of HQ but that's about it.....I will get back to it eventually tho.

Kuraudo

Ex-Soldier
AKA
Cloudsoul
I am waiting to see like Gold Saucer or heck...even uh...Cosmo Canyon xD.

Or maybe the end of the highway in MIdgar with Cloud's Hardy Daytona and That crappy little blue truck xD.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
(I'd love to work for Square although I'm not sure what their hiring policy is...)

rofl. They don't hire people, especially if they want to work for them. They conscript young non-humans from private schools in Japan, make them watch kiddiepr0n tentacle raep hentai for a couple of months with subliminal messaging, and if they survive, they're tied behind a computer, whipped, and told to go work for 18 hours a day, with a total of four hours of powernaps in between. They get fed with tubes and such.

This is true for all Japanese companies. They tie them down because else they will commit suicide for not being able to work harder for their company.

(More seriously, you'd first need to become Japanese or fluent in the language, then have extraordinary skillz, contacts, and SE would need to hire. You'd be more able to get a job at their support or sales departments in the States, and even then it'd not be very likely)

(Also, get in line, Everyone Else wants to go into game design, and Everyone Else wants to work for SE)

(Except me, way out of my league)

Kuraudo

Ex-Soldier
AKA
Cloudsoul
rofl. They don't hire people, especially if they want to work for them. They conscript young non-humans from private schools in Japan, make them watch kiddiepr0n tentacle raep hentai for a couple of months with subliminal messaging, and if they survive, they're tied behind a computer, whipped, and told to go work for 18 hours a day, with a total of four hours of powernaps in between. They get fed with tubes and such.

This is true for all Japanese companies. They tie them down because else they will commit suicide for not being able to work harder for their company.

(More seriously, you'd first need to become Japanese or fluent in the language, then have extraordinary skillz, contacts, and SE would need to hire. You'd be more able to get a job at their support or sales departments in the States, and even then it'd not be very likely)

(Also, get in line, Everyone Else wants to go into game design, and Everyone Else wants to work for SE)

(Except me, way out of my league)

This is why you make your own company. :)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Indeed, and I might too in a couple of years, if my skillz become more 31337 or I can convince people that they are.

NoenGaruth

AKA
See they do hire people Cthulhu!

Of course Square is different these days, they only conscript people now for human experimentation. :awesome:

But anyways, I still believe I'm not good enough for such a job. Midgar might be impressive but I still need to improve with character modeling and texturing plus would need to build up a more extensive portfolio if I were ever to apply for such a company.

Kuraudo

Ex-Soldier
AKA
Cloudsoul
See they do hire people Cthulhu!

Of course Square is different these days, they only conscript people now for human experimentation. :awesome:

But anyways, I still believe I'm not good enough for such a job. Midgar might be impressive but I still need to improve with character modeling and texturing plus would need to build up a more extensive portfolio if I were ever to apply for such a company.

Actually you have what it takes to do CGI construction. I am not sure about animations with CGI, but you constructed Midgar, out of all the people in this world you're pretty much the only one with the most detailed, you should feel accomplished and well looked at. I like it personally and I can tell you have what it takes man. Just be positive about it, eventually SE might see the design and think about contacting you. Besides they use different software you might have, but I bet you, it's probably similar :D.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
lol'd at yopy :monster:

3D model is still going, still sexah! To me it doesn't look like so much the modelling as it is the texturing that could be improved any further, but my experience of 3D modelling comes from 1 or 2 basic Jedi Academy maps that took me years to finish, so I'm obviously no expert on it :monster: some of the texturing appears a little flat and monotone to me, which I guess gives it a bit of that cartoony feel.

But seeing as you've set out to do so much of Midgar for that long it's not really a big deal obviously.

NoenGaruth

AKA
Heh, actually the textures are lacking in some areas, I was in the process of overhauling most of them before it went on hiatus. Probably the main thing I'll get onto once I pick this up again.

Top Bottom