The Seven: most appropriate character themes

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
It's that time again! I know I said I'd publish the next one of these in May, but I had an idea for a topic I'd like to discuss now, and I can always squeeze an extra one before then. Google Analytics suggests that the seven most difficult boss battles article did really well in the first month after it was released (and it might have done well since then, but I haven't checked), so it can't hurt to have more entries in the series.

Here's an introduction for those who aren't familiar with the idea. Every now and then I ask the forum community to help put together a list of the top seven something in the Final Fantasy series. Some of the topics are restricted to Final Fantasy VII only but others are series-wide. Once everyone has made their nominations, I turn it into a front page article. In addition to the boss battle article I mentioned above, we've also done the seven best lines of dialogue in Final Fantasy VII and the seven best FMVs in the Final Fantasy series.

This time, I want you to tell me: Which character themes from the Final Fantasy series are best suited to their characters, and why?

I use a "hybrid" nomination system for these articles, which I probably haven't explained very well before, so here goes: You can nominate as many themes as you want, and the seven themes with the most nominations will make it into the final article, but only if at least one person posts a decent explanation for why they nominated it. By decent I just mean a few lines long and not "I really like it". No explanation => no quote for me to use in the article => I pick another theme from the list. Clear?

You may nominate any piece of music from any Final Fantasy game - it doesn't have to be called "X's theme", in other words - as long as you can make a good case for it being a character's personal theme and not, for example, the theme of the game that it's from.

You have until at least the end of February to make your nominations. Also, feel free to submit ideas for future topics!

I don't always make nominations, but since it was listening to one that gave me the idea for this topic, I'll throw it in. Spoiler tagged to keep this opening post concise.

is Steiner's Theme from Final Fantasy XI:

Why this theme? Two reasons.

Firstly, rather than being associated with a specific location or a specific part of a game, it's inextricably linked to Steiner in my mind. As a counterexample, Terra's Theme will always be the Final Fantasy VI
of Balance
map music to me. When I hear it, I don't think of Terra. When I hear the theme in the video above, my mind turns to Steiner immediately.

Secondly, and most importantly, the theme has so many qualities in common with Steiner himself. It's clumsy and heavy-handed, slow and plodding, and comical in an almost unintentional way. A theme that doesn't share attributes with the character it represents can still be a good piece of music, but this isn't just a list of favourite songs.

Of course, his theme doesn't really suit his character after the attack on Alexandria on disc three; he's a lot more of a bad-ass during and after that. That's after most of the game has already been played, though.

Ghost X

Aerith's theme because I think it conveys elements of her kind nature, her struggles in life, the sense of hope she brings, as well as foreshadowing her death, and the tragic nature and effects of it. Every time it is played in the game it fits perfectly with all the sub-plots Aerith is involved in. A real multi-dimensional well-composed song.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Every time it is played in the game it fits perfectly with all the sub-plots Aerith is involved in. A real multi-dimensional well-composed song.
That's very true. It's natural that the theme is remembered for the events at the end of disc one, but it's very poignant when it plays over Elmyra's flashback as well.

Those are two of only three times in the game it plays, but I'll leave the third as an exercise for the reader. :)

Ghost X

And having gone through all the other themes of characters I was familiar with, here are the only two others I can clearly associate with the characters themselves. That's not to say good songs are not amongst the themes, but are they connected to their characters? For example, I love Kimahri's theme, but I associate it far more easily with the mountain (which the song I think is also tied to?). Cait Sith's theme, at least to me, is very generic one-dimensional shady character music :P. Anyways:

Freya's theme I always associated with her character really easily. I think it suits her tragic story of longing for Fratley, who has no recollection of her, and the fate of her hometown, Burmecia. However, I think there is a hint of optimism in it, which expresses her perseverance despite all these losses.

Quina's theme has a hint of nobility about it, which I think conveys how seriously the Qu take their food-centred culture. The instrumentation used expresses the non-serious / humorous aspect of Quina's character, from the perspective of the audience playing the game; there's that kind of primitive patronisation going on. You also have the high-pitched electronic sounds played over the top, which I think expresses Quina's child-like curious nature. These kind of conflicting attributes in the music is what I find so endearing about Quina's personality.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

If you're talking great themes that can't be mistaken as anything other then that character's theme, this has gotta be up there. It very much evokes a sense of forgotten old-fashioned chivalry and loyalty to me.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
^ That song will always be known as "Moustache Man" to me now because of an SGDQ run of FFVI where they sang it every time it came on. Great tune though, and it definitely suits Cyan.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Oh lord, Rant Mode: ON. WARNING SPOILERS THROUGHOUT.

FF6

Terra's theme is the main theme of FF6, but many people argue that she is not the main protagonist but merely one of many. So why is Terra's theme also the main theme of the game? The progression of the world is mirrored in the story of Terra. In the opening phases she is a mysterious girl trapped in a situation with little understanding of who she is or why she has her abilities. When she discovers the "monster" that lies beneath her surface, she flees in terror. It is only by embracing both her light and darkness that the world can exist. So it goes with her melody, a piece that exists in a minor key and begins haunting yet eerily soothing but ends with a dramatic and triumphant fanfare.

Locke and Celes- I hardly need to tell anybody here about their romance, but this is a story that is also told musically. The two melodies intertwine, each playing as mirror parts of the same tune, illustrated canonically in the ending theme of the game.

Gogo- While the themes for the characters in FF6 tend to be either dramatic or somber, the themes for the auxiliary characters have a decidedly whimsical tone. This is best illustrated with Gogo, whose theme has a perversion of a martial drum beat set to a loopy tune that sounds almost like a singsong melody. The strange juxtaposition of a melody is a great metaphor for He / She / It's own mysterious identity; both constantly leave you guessing.

[Side Note: A fan theory which I only believe has a little merit states that the melody hints at Gogo actually being Emperor Gestahl. The martial tune and the fact that melody is a slight perversion of the Imperial Theme, plus the fact that their sprites are similarly shaped is noteworthy. However I personally believe Gogo is Daryl.]

Setzer- My absolute favorite theme in FF6 is actually Setzer's theme. I personally feel it should have been the main theme of the airship over the lackluster "Blackjack". The track is a fanfare unto itself heavy in brass and strings to give you the feeling of floating over the clouds. A percussive timpani towards the end of the theme plays in time with the rising melody to give the feeling of a launch into the sky. The fact that the incredible "Ending Song" is wrapped up by this theme as the Falcon soars through the clouds is a testament to its incredible nature. It's not just the theme of the man who gave us the ability to fly, but a tribute to the adventure itself.

FF7

Aeris's Theme- Never have 16 notes caused more heartache than the opening four measures of Aerith's Theme. A simple piano which is soon accompanied by humming strings and wailing brass is an entire tragedy contained in a single song, and unfortunately is a very appropriate melody for a heroine with such a tragic story from beginning to end.

Cait Sith's Theme - My guilty pleasure in the soundtrack is that Cait Sith's theme is actually my favorite character theme, even moreso than powerhouse tracks like Aeris, Cid and Red XIII. It also fits extremely well for the character. As with FF6, anomalous characters are often given anomalous themes and Cait Sith is no exception. A strange funk piece with a jazzy clarinet and dancing organ feel right at home in his origin point of Gold Saucer. Furthermore there is a bit of counterpoint with the low bass and high organ/clarinet. Two acting as one? Sounds like Cait Sith to me.

FF8

Julia- Okay it may seem like Julia is a side-character unless you a very familiar with the story of FF8. Julia and Laguna were in love. But they couldn't be together. Laguna found Raine and had a son, who is all but canonically confirmed to be Squall. Julia however married General Caraway and their daughter was Rinoa. In a sense Julia and Laguna come together spiritually through their children. It would explain why this simple piano piece becomes the main recurring love theme throughout the game. This piano piece is a mournful remembrance of a love that was lost, but also a hopeful tribute to a love that is yet to come.

The Man With The Machine Gun- Laguna's Theme in spirit if not in name. Laguna is noteworthy for being perhaps the only character whose primary identifying theme is a piece played exclusively in combat. The battle piece is an astounding bit of late 90s House which would probably be at home on a dance floor. To really get to the heart of the piece we have to look beneath the drum machine and flowery pads. At its core, the piece is a piece of adventure. It's an ode to the soldier who finds glory in battle. Laguna is an idealist, not great with strategy, clumsy, and a bit of a fool. But with his friends, Laguna comes alive. The song is a boisterous tribute to a man who wants to lead a life of adventure, especially if there's plenty of good fights along the way.

FF9

I should note that while I enjoyed all of the themes in FF9, I couldn't really think of one that truly spoke to the character as a whole, but rather the characters at a point in their life. With one exception.

Kuja's Theme - What drives Kuja? Mortality. His greatest fear is running out of time and to die before he is able to accomplish what he seeks out- to the point where an envy for immortality drives him to become the villain. His theme is a perfectly synchronous melody: it is a metronome, a ticking clock. The theme continues to modulate as the hours pass, but the basso continuo marches on, never slowing down or stopping for a single moment. Time marches on.

FFX

Auron's Theme - Auron's theme is another bit of musical genius in that they hide the character in the melody. The piece is at first glance a simple rock piece with piano, bass, guitar and an ominous chorus. Yet there is a small pixie beeping which gives the theme a rather unique sound and also adds a somewhat astral quality to the piece. It sounds alien, and that is precisely what Auron is- alien. For Tidus, alien in that he does not come from Zanarkand. For those of Spira, alien in that
he's actually an unsent ghost

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Most of the ones I would've mentioned (Cyan's theme, Terra's theme, Aerith's theme, Freya's theme) have already been mentioned, but Kefka's hasn't.

The contrast between the whimsy of the opening part and the chaos of the counterpoint perfectly captures Kefka's personality.

Or, if you prefer the final boss theme version (which all right-thinking people should):

I'll just repost this essay (which contains spoilers) about why it's the best piece of video game boss music ever composed.

Lex

Administrator
I'm going to start by saying Cloud's Theme (Main Theme of FFVII) specifically due to the segment that plays during "the reveal" for his character (3:48 in this video):

I think the music in this segment perfectly reflects the scene it represents and the journey of Cloud's character. It starts light as though a weight has been lifted, builds in a kind of ominous pride that fits perfectly with the realisation of the part Cloud actually played in the past then segues back to the theme of the world the player spent the first disc listening to. This is my number one moment in all of FF. The only theme-scene match that compares for me is the moment in FFIX in Pandaemonium when Zidane is alienated and "You're Not Alone" begins to play, but that's not his theme so unfortunately I can't nominate it.

I'm going to nominate Eiko's theme because I think the innocent, light and airy tone of the tune matches perfectly with what her character is going through when we first meet her, and I can't listen to it without picturing that scene with her cooking for everyone in Madain Sari - although this may be due to the fact that I repeated the segment several times when I was younger attempting to get the ingredients right.

I also thought about nominating Vivi's theme but I actually don't think that theme suits him very much, I more associate it with the hustle and bustle of Alexandria at the beginning of the game (for obvious reasons).

I'm nominating Lulu's theme (another "reveal" of a tragic past) because this haunting sad melody matches her character and the way she has kept what she considers her greatest failure hidden, and while it isn't the first time in the game we get to see Lulu being compassionate, it's the first time we see a reason for her steel resolve and general seriousness. This theme suits her so much. Sadly, it's only heard once in the game and it's entirely optional so a lot of players miss it. I listened to the soundtrack years after playing the game and didn't even know what it was, I couldn't even remember hearing it in the Sunken Cave.

Airling

Ninja-Fairy-Jedi-Princess
That would have to be One Winged Angel for me. It feels to me to have come to it's right with the AC version.

It's crazy, messy, tumultuous madness. It's loud and insistent, and quiet and light, sometimes at the same time. It wasn't called Sephiroth's theme, and yet for me, a song has never so perfectly represented a character.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Lex said:
I think the music in this segment perfectly reflects the scene it represents and the journey of Cloud's character. It starts light as though a weight has been lifted, builds in a kind of ominous pride that fits perfectly with the realisation of the part Cloud actually played in the past then segues back to the theme of the world the player spent the first disc listening to. This is my number one moment in all of FF.

Hell. Yes. I also remember that scene hit me with the realization that the Main Theme WAS, in fact, Cloud's theme. And it fits him so well. I'm glad ACC acknowledged that in his scene with Marlene.

CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK

Seriously, this song always sounds empty without that.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
First one that popped into my head was the Nibelheim Mansion music being fairly much synonymous with Vincent but since he's an optional extra in the OG I'm not sure how valid that is as an answer.
I'm going to second Airling's response with One Winged Angel though, it's perfect for how bloody frustrating that battle is - I've been meaning to replay VII for so long but the thought of getting that far and having to go through that battle again is just off-putting. >.<

Some of the replies though, I would never have thought of them but I'm nodding along with every one. :awesome:

(I really like these Seven articles BTW)

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
First one that popped into my head was the Nibelheim Mansion music being fairly much synonymous with Vincent but since he's an optional extra in the OG I'm not sure how valid that is as an answer.

It's perfectly valid. Any character, even antagonists and NPCs, are eligible.

The music that plays in the Shinra Mansion is the first few bars of Those Chosen by the Planet on a very short loop. It's basically the first 11-12 seconds of this video:

I associate that with Sephiroth much more than I do with Vincent. Or did you mean The Nightmare Begins, which plays in the basement?

That is definitely Vincent's theme, and I think it fits his character well. If that is your nomination, I'll give you the chance to explain why. :)

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
One-Winged Angel is a beautifully developed theme, especially when it's listened to in the chronological order of the games. It's pretty interesting how as the series goes on the theme has more and more fragmented as music styles get mashed into it, kinda like how as the series goes on Sephiroth psych becomes more and more fragmented. CC's version is only orchestra and choir and is the shortest version, the OG version has started branching out into other music styles even though it's still based on a traditional orchestra and the ACC version brings in elements of heavy metal with it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The Nightmare Begins is absolutely Vincent's Theme. And I'm still pissed that it's nowhere to be found in Dirge.

@Engineer - I really like how Crisis Core's version (The World's Enemy) is so chaotic and disjointed. It really reflects how at that point Sephiroth is unstable and falling apart - though still terrifyingly powerful - as opposed to when he's taking over as a god in FF7

Lex

Administrator
You know, if they'd even just added in The Nightmare Begins to his flashback segments I'd probably have appreciated the game a whole lot more. Dirge's soundtrack is one of the major reasons I had trouble connecting with the game.

Fangu

Great Old One
<333

It's that energy it has even for being a relatively slow piece - stubborn, yet sensitive at the same time. I think it matches Lightning's character perfectly.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
@ Flint: Yeah, Nightmare Begins. The other one is 'shit hitting the fan' music. :monster: I'm not au fait with the track titles, I know the music well enough though!
IMO it's like a warped version of the song from Sleeping Beauty (Once Upon a Dream) which is disturbingly appropriate when you think about it ("I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream..."). The first time I heard it, it made the hairs on my neck stand on end. It's a great piece of music and given Vincent's history and connection with the experiments being undertaken in the basement, he's the first character to come to mind when I hear it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Jason already nominated Terra and Aerith's themes, and said precisely what I would have said about them, so nothing more to be said there.

Jason said:
Laguna found Raine and had a son, who is all but canonically confirmed to be Squall,
The Ultimanias do come right out and say it. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
You know, if they'd even just added in The Nightmare Begins to his flashback segments I'd probably have appreciated the game a whole lot more. Dirge's soundtrack is one of the major reasons I had trouble connecting with the game.

On the contrary, I really really like Dirge's soundtrack. Go listen to Silent Edge again, you'll be hard pressed to find a more atmospheric song. But the lack of Vincent's damn theme song is incomprehensible.
I like Hamauzu's work, but I don't understand his aversion to existing leitmotifs. See also: XIII's lack of Main Theme, Prelude, or Victory Fanfare. I guess we're lucky to have gotten the chocobo theme.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^Hamauzu's soundtracks are the best "okay" soundtracks I've come across in a while. There's not bad soundtracks, but nothing really stood out as being really good either.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Zidane's theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vylwtL_hIcI

It's bright and happy, but that beat (violins?) and the (flute? I'm not a musician) parts also depict his inner strength, and then from about the two minute mark you get that bit of wistfulness before the recovery near the end for the strong finish, because while it's there, he doesn't let it stop him.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'm a month late on this, but I've totted up the nominations now, and here are the seven songs that made the cut:

Terra's Theme (Final Fantasy VI)
Cyan's Theme (Final Fantasy VI)
Aerith's Theme (Final Fantasy VII)
Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII, i.e. "Cloud's Theme" (Final Fantasy VII)
One-Winged Angel, i.e. "Sephiroth's Theme" (Final Fantasy VII)
The Nightmare Begins, i.e. "Vincent's Theme" (Final Fantasy VII)
Freya's Theme (Final Fantasy IX)

Kind of a shame we've only got songs from three games - VII is overrepresented as always - but I'm not complaining, them's the votes. I think VI, VII and IX have the best soundtracks anyway, so it's perhaps not surprising that they also have the most memorable character themes.

I'll write up the article shortly. Thanks to everyone who nominated!

Top Bottom