• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

On news posts

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've got two comments on the news posts as they're made right now. First off, links.

It's important to note that when pasting an URL into an article, it's not automatically converted to a clickable link, so make sure to make it a proper link by selecting the entire URL, copying it, and pressing the link button (the button that looks like a chain thingy). Make sure to type a short summary of the page you're linking to in the 'title' field, this'll be helpful for both users - so they'll know what they can expect when clicking the link - and search engines (although that will mainly help the targeted page), since they'll be able to connect that page (and the words you use to describe the page) with some keywords.

Second, I noticed that the tags system doesn't seem to be used properly, with some posts just having one tag which is equal to the article's category. In order to improve both searchability and navigation by users and improve the categorizing of what I hope to be many more articles to come, I'd like you (i.e. article writers) to properly use the tags system. When adding tags, use a handful of words that are very specific to the article's content - for example, with this article, you could use tags like 'Sephiroth', 'Figure' (or 'figurine'), and 'Merchandise' (or 'merchandising'). Following that, take this article, which could be tagged with 'Dissidia', 'Cloud', 'Sephiroth', and perhaps 'Videos'. When a user then clicks on the 'Sephiroth'-tag visible in both the merchandising and the video post, he/she will be able to see all articles that relate to ol' Seph. Same with Videos, although I'm not too sure about that one yet, clicking that will allow a user to see all articles with a video in it.

Just a fyi and/or attempt at improving the quality standard of great justice, nothing personal and/or critical (unless you feel offended, in that case it's meant to insult and demean you, :monster: ).

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Will do :monster:

I'll definitely keep this in mind when making future updates. Also, could you go back and edit the entries I made and make the links look better and all that? Thanks again!

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Also, one more thing I'd like to add about article authorship. Please make sure that you don't end up doing an article that another author is about to post or they called dibs on, especially when they have translations in the works for it. Schala was going to report on the translations and the scans from the latest famitsu but now that's gonna have to be put in a separate article after it.

So remember to please be sure to not jump the gun :monster:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It may have been an issue that Schala's news post was marked as Private, so if the other Staff weren't logged into the main page prior to doing so to post news, they couldn't have seen any news post being made. (That's why I merged them into the post that was made publicly).

Also - Do the main News Staff only have the ability to edit their own news posts or everyone's? The translations update could still have been added to the prior announcement if they have the ability to edit it.

X :neo:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Only their own ones, I think that's also explained in the staff info document. We could do with some extra editors (= peoplez that can edit other people's posts), right now it's just you and me (I think). Any takers?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'd like to be able to edit other posts as well. That would definitely be very helpful :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Thank you verily :monster:

On a completely unrelated note, what the fuck is with the spam comments? Why do random bots (I assume) quote portions of the article and that's it?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
And a bump for another question.

I think the spam filter isn't catching all the spam comments. There are quite a few comments in our latest entries that seem to be random repeats of the title or some other such things. Should I mark them as spam and delete them or what? Please answer fgj :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
That's not spam, that's a so-called 'trackback'. When someone posts a link to one of our posts on another weblog, that weblog's software can / will inform our website that they've linked to us, and our website will then place that underneath our own posts so that people can see that people have linked to us. ish.

But because you (I think) linked to one of our own posts in another thread, the site's software informs our own site that it has linked to our post, and thus our software places a link to the post that linked to us below the post that was linked to.

That was confusing. Short version, it's not a bug, it's a feature :monster:. I should look out for h4x that make the difference between a comment and a trackback more obvious.

See also this blogpost - below you'll see a list of 'links to this post' - that's exactly what happen here.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
By the way, now that we have forums, we could add links to related topics in the forums to a particular article. If I cba, I'll try and go through all our current posts and see if there's any related topics.

I could also check to see if it's possible to add a link to a forum section for articles under a specific category - AC articles with a link to the AC section, etc.

Finally, when you process news that's been reported by someone (hasn't happened recently btw), plx post a link to that user's forum profile (if any), so people can see who reported it.

Top Bottom