Detroit: Become Human – PS4 Game by Quantic Dream (formerly PS3 Tech Demo "KARA")

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

Some damn impressive work, (and I'd play the shit out if this if it were a game).

X :neo:

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
The fact her name is "Kara" and that in both Catalan and Spanish, "Cara" (which sounds exactly the same) means "Face" is extremely amusing, to me.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

More information, and apparently Kara was made a year ago on a version of their engine that's been vastly improved since then.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Can this please be a real game and/or movie? This would be a very fascinating plot. Yes yes...

Can this please be a real game and/or movie? This would be a very fascinating plot. Yes yes...
bi-man.jpg

Honestly tho I'd like to see the plotline continue.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
KARA - by Quantic Dream

Ok, so not technically a game but it is by Quantic Dream and 'tis for the PS3 so yeah.

So yeah, I can't decide if its good or 'I know now why you cry' cheesyness.

SUBMIT BRAIN THOUGHTS NOW:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah but. You know it'd basically be just another modern rendition of Pinocchio, rite? :monster:

(robot Williams was good though, I must say)

(also shit that movie was from 13 years ago? I can't)

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Ugh, sorry about the dupe thread.

I can't decide if its good or 'I know now why you cry' cheesyness. Either way its interesting but its hardly an original concept is it?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
*merged threads*

While a portion of how much I enjoyed it is probably because I'm a huge sucker for the concept of synthetic lifeforms gaining sentience and fighting to stay alive (Roy Batty's speech in Blade Runner being one of my person favorites), I also think that Valorie Curry did a good job with her performance. Also, the setting of seeing it happening in a standard production line was something that made it really interesting.

As far as the technology itself, (as touched on in the second video), the type of simultaneous performance capture is the same type of tech that was pioneered by Avatar, and also used in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and I think that it's something that could make games significantly more emotionally captivating.

It's interesting, with Asura's Wrath presenting a game essentially as an interactive anime, Journey focusing on a really tight movie-length emotional experience, and KARA being shown at GDC, I think that 2012 is the year where games start gaining a lot deeper traction as direct storytelling media that's much closer to what's being done with films. There's been a lot of controversial statements about video games being art, but with technologies like this, it'll be interesting to see how much "digital costuming" for actors becomes more popular, and expands the talent that we see coming in to games.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Personally theres no fucking way I would get one of those robots to help around the house if it's able to peform sexual functions. I doubt many women would. Its too much of a temptation innit? And the husbands could argue that it doesn't really count as cheating.

No Sir. I want my household robots to look like
BTE-Kryten.jpg

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I'd assume that there would be some versions who have more rudimentary functions with less 'options' unless it's something that they buyer is comfortable with/interested in (or, like Kryten, maybe those functions are detachable). I can't imagine that KARA would be just a standard model.

Plus, aside from married couples, there are a good number of single folks out there who would utilize something like that. Synthetics provide the advantage of being able to take care of things at your place of residence if you're always at work and don't have time for something like that, plus they don't have the human/human trust issues of paying a housekeeper, since the synthetic would also be a resident.

Besides,
:awesomonster:

It's an interesting hypothetical scenario none-the-less.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Doesn't the iPhone have some sort of secks peripheral that you can use while you talk to Siri? :awesome:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
This whole thing reminds me of a movie I saw years ago. It involved somewhat of a theme part/resort place that had robots who looked and acted like people. There were different destination themes you could go to, and they would even have sex with you. I remember a reporter in the movie asked a woman about it and she was like, "It's not cheating, at least I think it isn't."

Then the robots all turn evil and start to kill everyone. :monster:

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the movie. :/

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
And now I am suddenly very curious about this film... Do you remember anything else about it?

I'm curious as to what Quantic Dream is actually looking to do with their next game in this engine.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Well, I know there was a Greek themed section of the park, and a Wild West theme. There were more, like maybe medieval? But I can't remember. The main big bad of the film was a cowboy robot that just would not die no matter what. His programming went haywire and when the protagonist shot him in a pretend duel, the robot held a grudge. :monster:

All the computers also went out and the operators of the park were trapped in a room and suffocated...

It was made in the 70's, I think.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yes!!!!

That is the one!

I was Googling it and just happened to find it myself. :)

Saw that in a high school lit class. w00t It's all kinds of messed up.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Hahaha!! I googled the words "movie cyborg resort cowboy" to find it. XD

I shall have to add it to my list of films to check out over Spring Break.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
i remember SO watched this recently and near the end like some dude was trying to save a female robot who was gonna get raped earlier and he ends up accidentally killing her and i was just shaking my head the whole time

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
i remember SO watched this recently and near the end like some dude was trying to save a female robot who was gonna get raped earlier and he ends up accidentally killing her and i was just shaking my head the whole time

That was because
he didn't realize she was a robot and when he tried to give her water he caused her to short circuit.
:awesomonster:

Top Bottom