Final Fantasy VII PC Re-Release Thread

Lex

Administrator
So I thought it would be a good idea to make an "official" thread for the game, now we know it's definitely coming. I've just finished writing a news post concerning the "accidental" release and Square's statement, and had a bit of bother deciding where to put the corresponding forum post.

Given the content, it's not really appropriate to put it in the "Domain name registered..." thread, and creating new ones for the news posts would mean there are currently 4 threads for the PC re-release (and undoubtedly a few more as more details emerge) which is just unnecessary clutter.

Most discussion/news has generally taken place in Square Enix registers domain "finalfantasyviipc.com" but there have been a couple of news items in Final Fantasy VII PC Achievements. Thus, I've collected the important points from members and quoted them in order below.

I would ask that future discussion/ news about the title take place in this thread to keep things together for new members/ lurkers who click the link from published articles.

Forum Posts
Domain Name Registered:

More Details Revealed:
More details: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...7-appears-to-be-coming-to-pc-in-updated-form/

Can someone front-page this? I won't be around a PC for at least 7 hours.

X :neo:

Site Updated:
There have been a few updates made to the site; nothing new. Just bio's of the main characters and links for desktop wallpapers. It's really seeming to look like it's just a re-release of the PC version of the game unfortunately...well isn't that nice.

I'm not totally sure how the copyright thing should work, but shouldn't it say "2012" somewhere here?

"© 1997,1998 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved."

Site Opens:
Here is the page finally:
http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en

Nothing new from the first look.

Re-Release will be showing at Gamescom 15-18th August:

Accidental Release:
http://www.pixelitis.net/news/final-fantasy-vii-pc-re-release-secretly-comes-out-then-gets-yanked

The re-release of the PC version of Final Fantasy VII that was announced back in early July was released on Square-Enix’s online store for $11.99 a few hours ago. This was followed by the game being suddenly yanked from the service a few hours later.

Going by the messages currently found in the technical support section on Square-Enix’s forum, several people who purchased the game are experiencing issues with the game’s built-in DRM, which uses the often-criticized SecuROM. According to one user:

“After installation, it asks you to enter your serial for it to connect and unlock the game for you. I entered my serial, it connected to the license server, and it tells me my activation failed and my serial was invalid. I did it manually with my serial and unlock code, and still nothing. I paid $12.70 for something that doesn’t work. Perhaps you could flip the ‘on’ switch, SE? Thanks”

Sounds like a Square-Enix employee may have been influenced under a ‘Haste’ spell and got a little ahead of his or herself. We’ll keep you updated as the situation develops further.

Square-Enix's Statement regarding accidental release:
Well, SE is compensating the people that jumped on the accidental posting of the game that didn't work. Both refunding their money AND giving them a free copy.

Honestly, classy move, Square. And that's something we don't get to say about you very often. Refunding their money makes sense, but you didn't have to offer them a free copy. They're actually giving preference to their more loyal fans that saw the posting immediately.

News Posts/ Articles

1. Signs Point to Re-Release of FFVII PC.
  2. Official FFVII PC Re-Release Site Launches.
  3. Square-Enix Accidentally Releases Final Fantasy VII PC.
  4. File Dissection/Comparison.

Official Stuff

Official Website

Trailer:

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Good work. Perhaps a friendly neighbourhood moderator could split some of the posts from the Achievements thread and merge them into this one? They would be more appropriate here.

DLPB was given the files of the accidental release of the new PC build. Despite not being requested, DLPB wrote a report on these files. I received this report and it is now a TLS feature.
FFVII PC Re-Release: The Accidental Early Release.

I completely understand the controversy this will spawn, as his writing style could use a more humble attitude. I will edit the report according to any requests by the masses, so to remove any parts that sound too biased. But unless complaints are pointed out to me directly, whether in this thread or in private messages, I'll leave the report as is.

Lex

Administrator
Here's the newspost regarding the accidental release:

On 5th August, Square-Enix’s anticipated re-release of Final Fantasy VII for the PC was accidentally made available for a few hours. It was then pulled.

A number of customers managed to nab a digital download of the game while it was still available, but due to DRM protection were unable to play it. Those customers are now being offered a full refund as well as a free copy of the game when it becomes available.

As soon as the re-release became available a few vigilant fans paid the odd $12.70 price to download the game – only to be disappointed, as the game uses SecuROM DRM protection that requires online activation to play. Thanks to forum member Pixel for the heads-up.

However, the files are available for dissection to the lucky few who managed to download it in time. The current version (which Square-Enix has confirmed is a pre-release build – more on that below) uses the original PC MIDI converted to OGG format. This is a huge disappointment, as the quality of the PC MIDI soundtrack is poor when compared with the original PSF sound format used in the Playstation version.

Also interesting is that all other files are also identical to the original PC version, with just a few tweaks here and there. The FMV’s have been upscaled and filtered to look less pixellated at higher resolutions. The 2D backgrounds are identical in resolution but the presence of an upscaler/ filter suggests that smoothing will be done in-engine. The key difference lies in the .exe file, which has been redone presumably to allow for the new features.

In a surprisingly generous move, Square-Enix are offering all who downloaded the game a full refund as well as a free copy of the game when it is released. The full statement (as reported by Kotaku here) is as follows:

Kotaku said:
This weekend, our teams were testing the product website for the upcoming relaunch of Final Fantasy VII on PC. While the website was being tested in its live state, a small number of people were able to purchase a pre-release build of the game. For those customers, Square Enix will be offering full refunds for the purchases and for their inconvenience, a free version of the classic Final Fantasy VII on PC when it is launched.

We want to thank our community for their continued support and excitement regarding the upcoming rerelease of Final Fantasy VII. We will have more information to share about the launch of this anticipated title shortly.

Thanks to forum member ForceStealer for Square’s statement from Kotaku.

Lex

Administrator
Double post but completely different content etc.

I find it interesting that there are files suggesting the possibility of a Card Game? Anyone care to speculate on that?

Since the original files are completely unchanged I'm going to assume that if it's really a thing it's seperate from the main game and not worked in like FFVIII/IX. I.e. I don't see being able to press a button to start up a card game with a NPC.

Lex

Administrator
...gin rummy. There's a game I haven't played in years.

After talking to someone regarding the content it looks like it's the same code as triple triad. I wonder if they're going to work it into the game with VII themed cards?

AvecAloes

Donator
An attempt to buy it gives me the message
"An internal system error has occurred. The customer support has already been informed about this situation and will get in touch with you if necessary."

=/

...is it sad that I'm not surprised at all?

Lex

Administrator
Yes, I'm also downloading it right now. If it works this time (or if someone else can confirm it's working) I'll put up another newspost to announce it, though I'd rather install and get a good look at any new features before doing that.

Lex

Administrator
Um, not to be a downer or anything, but we already have a dedicated thread for the PC version of the game here.

Lex

Administrator
Yes, you can. Also, have some images and a video from Qhimm user Rainboom. It's pretty unimpressive. They left in the original MIDI.

Online%20Profile.jpg

Launcher.png

Video%20Options.png

lol. 99,999,999 Gil.

Last edited:
That has to be one of the dumbest Achievement lists I have ever read. Thank you greatly for reporting all this Prince Lex, I appreciate it. But these news... I didn't think I'd react so strongly.

Lex

Administrator
I have buyer's regret and I'm not finished downloading it yet. At least I'll be able to change the music. Can't quite believe the terrible quality of it at the moment.

EDIT: More screenshots.

Final%20Fantasy%20VII%20(9).png

Final%20Fantasy%20VII%20(10).png

Final%20Fantasy%20VII%20(13).png

Last edited:

TotoroTori

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Silent-Dreamer025
I was hoping for Date with Barret achievement or a "Win a night with the Don!"
Oh well downloading it and excited.

Lex

Administrator
I'm downloading it, but I'm not excited. If anything I'm trying to convince myself it was worth the money by repeating "it's OK, you have the new files, you can dissect them to see any changes" in my head.

I say this because it's exactly the same as the original PC version which I already have. Obviously if this is going to be someone's first time playing it on PC, you'll feel differently ^_^. I just can't function with MIDI music. Thank fuck I know how to change it.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'm completely underwhelmed. Equivalent graphics can be achieved with a Playstation emulator on most computers, and by doing that, you don't have to put up with MIDI music. And the achievements are just the most unoriginal pile of crap I've ever seen.

The whole thing is actually quite amusing. I wonder how much time they put into it?

Am I just stupid...or is the game glitched so that when you change the controller settings in Config (in-game Menu) so that once you change the controls you can't leave that menu?

I...can't leave the button configuration menu. I'm stuck. I have to restart the game.

Top Bottom