Now what?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I know I bring this up a lot, lately. But it's because I CARE, GUYS.

So what's next for our site? What direction are we taking? What moves are we making, or should we be making to go in that direction? We should figure out what Staff members we have, both forum and site we still have, and consolidate our forces. I'm not saying we have to make any major moves now or anything, but I kinda feel like we're floatin'.

So.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
First, wrong section.

Second, I disagree, we're doing great, :monster:. New front page layout, new exciting content (Toshiba DVD, weekly roundups), and new stuff happening.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well, I feel with all the work that has been done to redesign the site, it has come a long way lately. Sure, there hasn't been much progress on any ongoing projects that aren't audio-related or part of the new Weekly Round-Up, but it's all still huge in my opinion. I feel like the site itself has improved a thousand percent right there.

Other than that, I don't have a whole lot of ideas right now. I am going to be posting a new article soon, but it won't be part of anything ongoing unless I post it as a series -- which might not be a bad idea, as it would easily become the single longest article in TLS history otherwise.

There's potential in this idea as a community endeavor, I think:

http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12849

Lex

Administrator
New projects are always a good idea, and that one seems pretty cool as a community thing.

Not understanding why you think we're "floating" Mog, the site has been doing pretty well recently IMO? Better than usual even, I'd say.

In my case it's the small things that need fixin', by me working together with Yop and Fangu. For example, adding arrows (the ones that Flintlock made) to the dropdown menus that have sub-dropdown menus :monster:
Or correcting the text tables for the Unused Text articles so they appear as they should. I admit I am very slow with making this happen, but one week or another these things will be fixed.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Not understanding why you think we're "floating" Mog, the site has been doing pretty well recently IMO? Better than usual even, I'd say.

It has been. I guess I should have been clearer; we're not floating in terms of progress or performance, we've been making moves and doing BIG THANGS. I mean 'floating' in terms of our overall scope and direction. We've made great strides in setting up a great infrastructure, now we just need a focus to make it work for us.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I think we just need to find ways to attract new visitors to the site. I have no idea where to advertise

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Well, if we keep making good content and advertise it via social networks and shit (report it to sites like kotaku and whatnot, too), visitors will show up.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It has been. I guess I should have been clearer; we're not floating in terms of progress or performance, we've been making moves and doing BIG THANGS. I mean 'floating' in terms of our overall scope and direction. We've made great strides in setting up a great infrastructure, now we just need a focus to make it work for us.

Well, FFVII has always been -- and remains -- the primary focus, but there's not a lot going on with that these days on the official front. There is The Kids Are Alright, but hito stays busy and translates when he can.

Other than that, Shademp's development-related articles, Pixel's audio books and the LPs are all we've had to work with for a while. Which is still kind of a lot, actually -- it's just everyone involved finding the time to do stuff.

We kind of have to give attention to other Final Fantasy and Square titles/things of interest to the FFVII fan community.

It's not that TLS lacks a focus. It just kind of had to broaden that focus.

I really think the site is the best it's ever been.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Ive tried sending stuff to kotaku. They dont give a toss lol. Ive been trying to spread that album we released a while ago, with not much luck.

I think with sending stuff to kotaku, etc, its better to have a few people sending the same thing, so it doesnt look like blatant adverting.

We also need to draw together a list of sites that might be interested in stuff, or forums we can at least post in.

Also get the twitter feed going again, or link it to our facebook if possible.

Get a presence on itunes.

Create more content for our youtube channel, if anyone has any ideas.

We might be working on a kingdom heart piano album, if you guys would be interested in hosting it

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
We can host all the things, :monster:.

Also, oh right yeah, the podcast thing; you need to remind me / push me harder for that kinda thing, procrastination etc, :monster:

Fangu

Great Old One
I just want to take the oportunity to credit people: Flint's new Weekly Roundups are awesome, I love the format and I love the work he puts into it. Shademp has just presented some awesome finds, and he continuously works on the Unused Text articles. Lex has written some good articles and keeps finding good news. Pixel keeps working on the audio books delivering good stuff. The Facebook page has been updated a lot recently (Flint is that you?) Yop has been arsed and delivered. Ryu keeps doing Dirge LP. Have I forgotten anyone?

Guess we could develop a Marketing Plan. I'm not very good at that stuff.

Lex

Administrator
You forgot yourself, who did the majority of the work on the new front page and it looks amazing.

Flint is in charge of the Facebook page, and maybe also the Twitter account. I've asked this before, but if no one else is handling the Twitter account I'm happy to do it, although Flint may already be on top of it.

Things like Twitter and Facebook are the most important IMO in attracting new visitors and drawing attention to the work here. I'd also be interested in joining in on a podcast (weekly, monthly?) if anyone is up for it. Just thinking back to the last community playthrough we always managed to have interesting discussions about almost every aspect of the game, and knowing there were other people who were so passionate about it was what drew me to this place at first.

You forgot yourself, who did the majority of the work on the new front page and it looks amazing.
^this. Fangu, I can't thank you enough for your work and vision.

Flint is in charge of the Facebook page, and maybe also the Twitter account. I've asked this before, but if no one else is handling the Twitter account I'm happy to do it, although Flint may already be on top of it.
Whether it be you or Flint who ends up handling the Twitter page, MAKE IT SO :monster:

Nobody will object.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I don't post in the staff forum as a matter of principle*, but as I've been directly mentioned here, I'll respond.

I have been posting on our Facebook page, after Pixel gave me the rights to do so. I've suggested at least twice that Lex be given access to our Twitter account, because unlike me, he actually uses it :)

Fangu, like Lex said, include yourself in that list! You've worked as hard as anyone here, if not harder, on the new front page.

* That principle was formed in the big summer drama we had, when it seemed like there was a complete lack of trust between members and staff, and I felt like it wasn't right that front page staff could see the drama being dealt with by the forum staff. The situation is markedly different now though; there's peace on the board, and the front page has been relaunched and is gradually being reinvigorated. We want to integrate the front page and the forums more, so this feels like a good time for the front page and forum staff to commit to working more closely together. Maybe it's not such a bad thing for front page staff to be able to have a say in decisions that are made on the forum, just as forum staff are often chipping in with useful contributions for the front page.

Just to throw an idea into the ether - I know we all have busy lives and inhabit different timezones - maybe we could get together once a month for a meeting, on IRC/Skype/whatever, with the dual purposes of discussing TLS projects and getting to know one another. I feel like I know most of the front page staff well, but the forum staff not at all. Having to report on the progress of our projects might actually motivate us to do something :) We should all be clear on the nature of our own roles and everyone else's, so we know what is expected of us and who to turn to if we have a specific idea/issue. How about it?

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
I like the idea of an IRC get-together once a month, though there's always the issue of timezones (we could post the log onto the board afterwards with a brief summary for anyone who missed it?). As far as having a direction, I think TLS is doing pretty damn good atm, thanks largely to the frontpage staff. The Toshiba DVD thing in particular is an example of TLS at its finest, and I think we've managed to get a good balance going between FF7 content and general FF content.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'd be up for trying to make it to a monthly Skype session or something. If only to get to know you frontpage peeps better -- I already think you people are fucking awesome.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Imho you fuckers just need to get on IRC moar, :monster:.

i.e. all the time when your computer is on. No excuses not to, :monster:

(we have n00dz)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Flintlock touches on the important issue of incentive and motivation. I have more FFVII projects in my head than I will ever have the energy to complete, yet I rarely get anything done.

If I knew there was an upcoming meeting where I *had* to present something or speak about actual progress, that would increase incentive. Wouldn't want to show up and say "oh sorry guys I was too lazy lol".

How do we manifest this "monthly meeting" idea? I will only participate in IRC "meetings", as there are problems with my sound in Skype (making my voice constantly break up for the others). Even so, Pixel's idea about a Skype group call turning into a podcast is neat.

Say that we choose to have project discussions/presentations on the last Saturday of each month, then this should show up in the frontpage window that at present reads "Nov 4th: TLS has a new layout, please report bugs and also feel free to comment here. I'm probably the only one who has the frontpage as the default link I go to before checking the forums, but if we want these meetings to be public than the frontpage can be used for advertising.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Skype has a text messenger too. I don't actually have a microphone so I can't participate in voice chats. I don't see any problem with using it as a text messenger.

Skype has a text messenger too. I don't actually have a microphone so I can't participate in voice chats. I don't see any problem with using it as a text messenger.

The only problem is if the very *point* of Skype is for people to talk and their voices to be recorded. Texting would defy the purpose in that case. But yes, I do know of Skype's text messenger function.

Top Bottom