On Barret

Jiro

Average Jiro
Barret Wallace is a fascinating character. I want to talk about him a bit, so I'll raise a couple of points of interest and we can all have a lovely chinwag about it.

Barret is blamed by the people of Mt Corel for the complete destruction of their town, despite being literally the only person in Corel to oppose the reactor and Shinra. What gives here? Poor guy goes out of town for a couple days and they brand him the sole person responsible. :'(

As far as parenting goes, Barret doesn't do too badly. He has some serious issues with abandoning the girl he's supposed to have adopted though. Come Advent Children, she's living with Tifa even, while daddy plays oil tycoon.

His gunarm raises a whole bunch of interesting questions. Who is the doctor who performed such an operation (and wtf was he smoking)? Who decides to get a gun grafted onto their arm? What are his weapons - the upgrades you can find in each town - actually meant to be: are they firearms repurposed for Barret's use or are they actually gunarm attachments (hinting at the possibility of more people with gunarms)?

Is it ever explained how he realises that Mako is actually the Planet's lifeblood? I assume it was from the guy in Cosmo Canyon, but Barret's knowledge of this does raise questions of how fucking posh does everyone else have to be in order to use Mako (seemingly) knowing full well the consequences? Of course you can say "but Jiro we still use fossil fuels and fight wars etc which is clearly bad for the planet etc" and I would say "well played sir or madam."

How does he come across Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie? They're unlikely to be old friends seeing as the handful of people who survived Corel are fucking assholes to him. Seems odd that Barret would just kind of show up in Midgar and hand out leaflets saying "join AVALANCHE" or whatever.

He seems to handle being toppled as the leader rather well after the initial post-Kalm sequence. D'you reckon it's the severity of the Sephiroth threat that gets his ego in check, or what?

There was probably something else I was going to mention but it's 5am and these thoughts are stopping me from going back to sleep :monster: DISCUSS BARRET AND #^$&

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Barret was actually the one who convinced them to convert to Mako. Dyne was the one who was against it. Barret only became anti-Shinra after his hometown was destroyed.

Yeah, Barret is probably my favourite member of AVALANCHE.

As far as parenting goes, he does his best in an extremely difficult situation. I thought his short exchange with Elmyra summed up his dilemma (and that of all working parents) very well. All he wants is to be with Marlene, but he has to go out and fight in order to make sure she has a world to grow up in. He's testy, impatient, impulsive, and prone to bouts of self-loathing. He blurts out whatever is in his mind. He is constantly searching for the meaning of life. He never gives way to despair. He keeps on trying. I think part of the reason Marlene turns out as well as she does is that she is 100% confident of his love for her, even though he has to be away from her for long stretches of time. She knows she's the most important thing in his life.

Barret, I think, wanted to be the leader of Avalanche because he had the necessary passion and single-minded vision. He likes being leader, but he's also honest enough and pragmatic enough to admit that Cloud will do a better job because Cloud is a more accomplished fighter and has a better grasp on the situation. Barret knows his own limitations.

I love Barret.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Let me tell you how much I love Barret. His wife is killed, his town is razed to the ground, his people live in destitution and self deprecation, he shoulders all the hate, the people that ruin his life continue to live like kings above him, he watches his broken best friend kill himself right infront of him- AFTER Dyne tries to kill him and his daughter. But never once he wallows in self pity. Yeah, he's angry, but who wouldn't be?

The fact is he never stops for pity. He formed Avalanche when the rest of the town sinked into depression. When Cloud was gone, he was the one who chose the leader, even if it wasn't him, he was the one that took the initiative to change. In CoB he was constantly trying to find the right thing to do.

On the occasion people like to paint him as the dim witted blockhead, but Barret is always thinking. He's torn between Avalanche and being a father. He's torn between his desire for vengeance and his professed need to save the planet. When Cloud asks why people stay in Midgar, Barret's shows much in tune he is with the people and suffering.

Last edited:
"He's always thinking." Yes, that's it right there. The world is a very confusing place, but Barret can't give up searching for answers - but also, he doesn't just let everything else slide while he's searching for answers; he tries to solve problems, doing the best he can with the limited information he has.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm about to go to bed so I can't properly do justice to how much I love Barret. But I will post what I said in my slightly more combative thread in regards to him:

ForceStealer said:
A lot of you here know how much I like Barret. I've liked him ever since I first played FF7, and still maintain that he is a criminally-underrated character. His progression might just be the most dramatic besides Cloud's. He goes from an eco-terrorist fueled almost entirely by revenge, goes on a quest preaching about saving the world before finally admitting that everything he does he does for Marlene's sake, as well as regretting the terribly things he did in Midgar.
His confused answer to Elmyra about how he can leave Marlene to fight is touching. I love his tough love approach to Cloud and Tifa: trying to coax the fighter in Tifa out when she's depressed about Cloud missing; asking the very practical question about whether Cloud can truly be trusted; motivating the team to keep going even without their leader - in addition to admitting he's not as good a leader as he thought he was (which automatically makes him a better leader), all of it.
Then there's his whole arc through North Corel, his racking guilt over what happened there, his desire to see Dyne once more, seeing himself in Dyne, but making the important distinction of fighting to make things better. And, if I can steal a quote of someone that agreed with me on kotaku:
the emotion conveyed in the text about wondering if his cold metal and blood stained hands would be capable of holding on to something like the love of a little girl was above and beyond.

^Precisely. I get goosebumps just READING that.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Barret is kinda of underrated if you ask me at times.He could have been a simple flat expy of Mr.T but throughout the game we are shown deeper depths to his character that make him very complex and even endearing.I think what I liked about the original game is the fact that some of the characters look like flat archetypes based on their looks but as you go on playing they actually are more deeper than they look.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Barret Wallace is a fascinating character. I want to talk about him a bit, so I'll raise a couple of points of interest and we can all have a lovely chinwag about it.

Barret is blamed by the people of Mt Corel for the complete destruction of their town, despite being literally the only person in Corel to oppose the reactor and Shinra. What gives here? Poor guy goes out of town for a couple days and they brand him the sole person responsible. :'(

As far as parenting goes, Barret doesn't do too badly. He has some serious issues with abandoning the girl he's supposed to have adopted though. Come Advent Children, she's living with Tifa even, while daddy plays oil tycoon.

His gunarm raises a whole bunch of interesting questions. Who is the doctor who performed such an operation (and wtf was he smoking)? Who decides to get a gun grafted onto their arm? What are his weapons - the upgrades you can find in each town - actually meant to be: are they firearms repurposed for Barret's use or are they actually gunarm attachments (hinting at the possibility of more people with gunarms)?

Is it ever explained how he realises that Mako is actually the Planet's lifeblood? I assume it was from the guy in Cosmo Canyon, but Barret's knowledge of this does raise questions of how fucking posh does everyone else have to be in order to use Mako (seemingly) knowing full well the consequences? Of course you can say "but Jiro we still use fossil fuels and fight wars etc which is clearly bad for the planet etc" and I would say "well played sir or madam."

How does he come across Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie? They're unlikely to be old friends seeing as the handful of people who survived Corel are fucking assholes to him. Seems odd that Barret would just kind of show up in Midgar and hand out leaflets saying "join AVALANCHE" or whatever.

He seems to handle being toppled as the leader rather well after the initial post-Kalm sequence. D'you reckon it's the severity of the Sephiroth threat that gets his ego in check, or what?

There was probably something else I was going to mention but it's 5am and these thoughts are stopping me from going back to sleep :monster: DISCUSS BARRET AND #^$&

Robotic arms aren't entirely uncommon. Aside from Barret and Dyne, there's also Veld and Shalua in the compilation, and maybe Vincent. There's probably a market for it, a lot of people post Wutai are likely to be missing limbs.

In game, he admits that initially he was anti SHinra solely to get revenge for his town, I revckon he probably just saw a poster and decided 'being an environmentalist aligns with the goals I already have' and only later realised how important his fight actually was.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer

Vivi

Jump Rope Champion
AKA
Vivi, Setzer Gabbiani
On the occasion people like to paint him as the dim witted blockhead, but Barret is always thinking. He's torn between Avalanche and being a father. He's torn between his desire for vengeance and his professed need to save the planet. When Cloud asks why people stay in Midgar, Barret's shows much in tune he is with the people and suffering.

I think Barret's a great character, too.

And I think that this is a huge reason why he leaves Marlene with Tifa. He loves Marlene dearly, but he wants to create a better, stable world for her. She would be far safer with Tifa than traveling with him and searching for oil.

Jiro

Average Jiro
I am glad we could all come together about our love for Barret. Also, yeah, I forgot that Barret was in favour of Shinra - my problem with that was why Barret was solely blamed for an idea that they all shared. The people of Corel are absolute dicks and Barret just keeps on keeping on. What a goddamn trooper.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I am glad we could all come together about our love for Barret. Also, yeah, I forgot that Barret was in favour of Shinra - my problem with that was why Barret was solely blamed for an idea that they all shared. The people of Corel are absolute dicks and Barret just keeps on keeping on. What a goddamn trooper.

Yeah,with neighbors like that any other person would have just told them to shove it up their rears.I always kind of wondered what if Final Fantasy kept the focus on the freedom fighter story instead of the save the world from an evil white haired bishie story we all know and love.I think if they kept it as a freedom fighter story I think we would have more exploration into Barret as a character and his problems with Shinra.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
All my Barret feels have already been beautifully laid out in the above posts. <3

FFVII just wouldn't be complete without the guy. I really feel that he's under appreciated and it annoys me how he's shunned in ACC when he has been with Cloud from the start of VII.

And how come President Shinra has a fanclub and he doesn't? :(

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
All my Barret feels have already been beautifully laid out in the above posts. <3

FFVII just wouldn't be complete without the guy. I really feel that he's under appreciated and it annoys me how he's shunned in ACC when he has been with Cloud from the start of VII.

And how come President Shinra has a fanclub and he doesn't? :(

Yeah,the fat cat was only in early in the game and killed off by Sephiroth.I mean we need some Barret lovers forming a club.You know I would love to see an RPG game with a main protagonist character based on Barret.It would defy a lot of RPG game expectations as well.And even better maybe the game should be Afrocentric as well.

Naruhodo

Rookie Adventurer
Even though it is a joke option, going gay for Barret is the only right choice to make with Cloud's harem. Broett4lyfe.

Lex

Administrator
I will never be able to express the disappointment I felt in the moment where they go to the play and the hostess says

"CONGRATULATIONS, You are our 100th couple this even...

oh wait, no you're not"

:(

Jiggle Tifa

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Damn, that sucks :/ I have not yet gone on a date with Barret. A new game was started a few days ago so that I could.

Barret is one of my favorite characters. He is fearless, strong, and has endured a lot of pain and suffering.

GiinJoww

Rookie Adventurer
I love all of you guys. Seriously, Barret fans unite!

This. So much.

Honestly, I really hate AC/C for that reason. AC/C was created to sell, not do justice to FFVII, so naturally Square failed. Barret deserved as much time, spotlight, thought, and depth as Tifa and Cloud. The other thing that really gets me is how quickly and easy the fandom is to remove Barret from Marlene's life. Cloud will never be her father and Tifa will never be her mother. The only reason why she is living with them in AC/C is because Barret was searching for an alternative energy source -- which he discovered and a lot of it! AC/C affirms that Marlene sees Barret as her father and that he visits her continuously throughout his entire absence.

I mean we need some Barret lovers forming a club.You know I would love to see an RPG game with a main protagonist character based on Barret.It would defy a lot of RPG game expectations as well.And even better maybe the game should be Afrocentric as well.
I would join that club in a heartbeat. I also heartily agree to a main protagonist based on Barret in an afrocentric fantasy as well.

It would be awesome to have another game set in FFVII land which didn't centre around defeating Jenova or one of her avatars, and starred Barret. It doesn't even have to be something fancy, just a little game.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Yeah, I'm never going to accept that Barret had to go off in search of oil or whatever. I refuse to believe that there wasn't anybody else who could do it - presumably the public in general had accepted Mako was no longer a viable option, so theoretically there should have been thousands of people wanting to find new energy sources.

It's just SE wanted to make some bullshit focus on the kids and Cloud and Tifa's 'family' and friggin Denzel. Like the worst kind of fanfic where all the non-shipped characters are forgotten or 2D.

Yeah, I'm never going to accept that Barret had to go off in search of oil or whatever.
I know you wrote a "or whatever" part there, but remember that Barret didn't initially leave to search for oil. That only happened after he came to Rocket Town and talked to Cid. He went off because of...guilt...or...something... I can't explain it like Nojima. :lol:

EDIT: Sorry, I'm tired and didn't take your entire post into account there. I see your point was about Barret seemingly being the only guy to go far lengths to find oil.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
He went off because of...guilt...or...something... I can't explain it like Nojima.

Nojima is a wanker. There I said it. :monster: Barret had no excuse for leaving Marlene again. Sure, Tifa is a responsible adult and Marlene loves her, but Barret has been her parent figure since she was very small, and the poor kid has already suffered so much. It's assbackward thinking that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Nojima is a wanker. There I said it. :monster: Barret had no excuse for leaving Marlene again. Sure, Tifa is a responsible adult and Marlene loves her, but Barret has been her parent figure since she was very small, and the poor kid has already suffered so much. It's assbackward thinking that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

I agree. He has some good ideas but quite honestly I've read lots of fanfic that was better. He comes up with bullshit explanations for stuff that doesn't even need explaining and doesn't seem to fully understand his own world. I don't know, maybe his stories all sound a lot better in Japanese.

Top Bottom