inFAMOUS, or "My Life As a Superhero" (series spoilers be aboundin')

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
With the release of "inFAMOUS: Second Son" approaching in just a few months, I thought I would finally get around to playing the second game after finishing the first well over a year ago.

The first was and remains one of my absolute favorite gaming experiences. Even now, it's fresh in my mind. There are other games on the PS3 with better stories and characters, perhaps (the "Uncharted" series springs to mind), but I can't think of any that have been more engrossing.

This game fulfilled all the dreams of a comic book nerd who has been playing video games since the late 80s -- because that's what you're doing when you play "inFAMOUS." You're entering a comic book and playing out a superhero origin story.

I say this not just because of the comic book stylings of the game's art design and movie sequences, but because it really brings to life all the things you love (or don't, I suppose) about comics. The (apparent) accident that bestows superpowers on a rather ordinary person, special names for these abilities, the flashy villains who appear in short order thereafter to take control of the city, the crises suffered in the superhero's personal life as result of their newfound power and responsibility, a great loss or tragedy that becomes the guide for the rest of the character's journey -- the game is much like playing as Spider-Man if his Spider Sense and web shooters got swapped out for electrical powers.

Hell, even time travel, warnings of a coming apocalypse and a great malevolent entity with a straightforward, unimaginative name (i.e. The Beast) come into play by the end. The game really hits all those "comic book story" beats.

With respect to that story and the playable character's powers, the game borrows more than a little from "Static Shock" -- not that this is a bad thing. Static's co-creator, Dwayne McDuffie, himself said that he borrowed much from Spider-Man.

The Q-Juice experiment from "Static Shock" becomes the Ray Sphere incident; the Bang Babies become the Conduits; and 15-year-old, geeky Black teenager Virgil Hawkins becomes 20-something White urban explorer Cole MacGrath.

One of the first things you notice as you begin playing: this game can be hard. Unforgiving, at least. You aren't just going to put the game in and start frying waves of the gang members trying to control Empire City. They're going to make you work for it.

Armed at first only with Cole's parkour skills and the ability to fire electrical bolts, you won't be jumping into the middle of an enemy horde and picking them apart any time soon. Try that early on, and they will just tear you to pieces.

That brings us to one of the other things you'll notice early on: These aren't "Walker: Texas Ranger" bad guys. They can actually shoot. Even from a distance, their aim is pretty damn impressive.

You're going to have to learn to fight strategically by using the environment to your advantage -- for example, finding positions where the edge of a building shields you from most gunfire while you can still hit your targets. This is particularly going to be necessary if you venture into blackout zones where there's no ambient electricity with which to restore your powers and health. You'll need to learn to aim as well. Headshots are your friend when you have little battery charge to work with. You're also going to have to run away at times. Just get used to that fact.

Stick at it for a while, though, and as you restore power to sections of Empire City and free them from gang control, your powers will grow. As part of your evolution, you'll gain the ability to slide across power lines and train rails, you'll begin throwing lightning grenades that stick to the enemies they touch, you'll be able to generate an electrical shield that protects you from all that gunfire you were eating early on, and more. Eventually, you'll find yourself becoming a high-flying superconductor of justice -- or villainy, if you so prefer, as the game allows you that option as well. But being a supervillain was never my childhood dream, so that's not the path I ventured down.

I wanted to save a train full of hostages. I wanted to take on a heavily-armed gang alongside police. I wanted to inspire hope in people. "inFAMOUS" allowed me to do all of that and more. I got to defeat supervillains in epic battles, heal people in need, chase a helicopter, fire lightning bolts at bad guys from another helicopter, save accused thieves from lynch mobs, and defend both a prison as well as a police station from ridiculous, intense assaults.

That's not even half of it, but that alone is enough to get any geek like me salivating.

In a lot of ways, this game allowed me to live out fantasies like no other ever has. No doubt, that's why, when the adventure came to an end, I was so eager for more that I went on to collect every Blast Shard in Empire City, having read that when I started "inFAMOUS 2," I would be given two additional battery cores with which to start the next stage of the adventure.

I also made a point to track down all the game's Dead Drops, which reveal additional backstory and world-building details not present in the main course of the story. I simply couldn't get enough.

For many reasons, it would be a good while before I would begin the second half of Cole MacGrath's journey -- my own journey as a superhero. Having now done so, however, I wish to share my impressions and feelings as I go.

So, here we go. :monster:

Having somehow managed to avoid spoilers about the second game's story developments, the first thing to come to my attention is pleasant surprise that the plot thread involving The Beast is being immediately addressed at the beginning of this second game. I rather expected the matter to be ignored for nearly the entire duration of "inFAMOUS 2" while dealing with a different threat in order to drag this storyline out into a forced trilogy, as that sort of thing is so common these days.

Hell, if we're looking at movies, we can expect what should be the final chapter to get split into two titles, a la "Harry Potter," "Twilight" and soon "The Hunger Games."

Not so here. We're dropped right into the apocalyptic prediction left us at the end of the first game by Cole's future self from a now alternate timeline, Kessler, the supervillain with good intentions who engineered the awakening of Cole's powers and all the heartbreak, death and destruction that followed.

Having set out to prepare Cole for the challenge of facing The Beast and protecting Empire City rather than fleeing for the sake of his loved ones, Kessler's morally questionable crusade almost immediately becomes pointless -- along with all of Cole's efforts. My efforts.

Relighting sections of the city one by one, freeing the people of each district from the gangs that had taken over their homes, healing, rescuing, climbing, recharing, struggling -- all of it was rendered moot in an instant as Cole takes on The Beast in the game's playable opening sequence and is soundly defeated before the massive entity goes on to annihilate Empire City one building at a time.

The city I worked so hard to save for days in the original game was destroyed after only five minutes of gameplay in the sequel. Kind of a downer.

Soon, I'm tasked with the salvation of a new city. New Marais. A second chance to get things right. I won't let them down too.

Before long, I'm back into the old swing of things. Climbing buildings. Gliding from great heights. Zapping stuff. Saving civilians from muggings at the hands of a superhuman-hating militia that has taken over.

I'm delighted to find that the control scheme has been kept the same and at how quickly the controls have come back to me despite my long absence from "inFAMOUS." I'm somewhat taken aback, however, by how much easier this game feels from the outset than did its predecessor.

I got killed a lot when I first started playing the original. Now, it happens rarely, even in blackout zones, which have made a welcome -- though occasionally challenging and stressful -- return. Whether my grasp of the controls from the first game is more to thank for this or whether it be that the designers intuitively decided that a Cole MacGrath with more powers should have less of a hard time, I don't know.

Less than a quarter of the way through what I've read is the total number of the game's main storyline missions ("Bertrand Takes the Stage" was the last story mission I completed), I've been mostly working on Side Missions, User-Generated Content missions and collecting all the Blast Shards as I go this time, even from the blackout zones, rather than waiting to the endgame for that. I'm also hard at work on shooting down carrier pigeons to collect this game's newest Dead Drops, which provide more backstory for both games, and also seem to be hinting at a return of the seemingly deceased John White from the first game.

I always somewhat doubted his death, the circumstances being what they were and this being a comic book world as it is. Having now learned that John had the potential to become a Conduit like Cole, I have no doubt that the character will be making a return with superpowers at some point in this sequel. As far as I know, the Ray Sphere would only kill ordinary humans with no Conduit potential. Someone like John should have, instead, had his dormant powers awakened.

With all the focus I've been putting into Side Missions, exploring New Marais and taking down every enemy I encounter, acquiring Hero status early on has been easy, as has activating most of Cole's lightning powers. I assume a few will require further developments in the story before they become available.

I already know that I'm supposed to be getting a grappling hook-like ability called "Lightning Tether" at some point. Apparently, it's supposed to be required for defeating this excellent UGC robot boss fight:

I managed to do it after a frustrating hour or so once I figured out how to use his telekinetic power to lift cars against him and that I could scale his arm to his head as though he were one of the colossi from "Shadow of the Colossus."

As you can probably tell, I'm having a blast with this game so far. I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Share your thoughts on this amazing game series as well -- where it's been and where you believe or hope it may go. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

P.S. Let me just say I can't thank my wife enough for buying me the PS3 a couple years ago in the first place, as well as these games. I have a terrible habit of saving money and not treating myself, and probably never would get cool stuff for me if someone else didn't.

Last edited:

Carlos

I care not
AKA
That brown guy
I wasn't too impressed with the sequel. I absolutely loved the first. The second just didn't have the same feel for me. I don't think Cole has the same voice actor in this iteration. I don't think anyone did, could just be my imagination.Anyways The whole thing just seemed repetitive for me. Like the "blast shards"? seriously, a whole other explosion that just shatters some material everywhere, again? Surely they could have came up with some other form of power building or whatever its called.Also Some things weren't explained thoroughly either but its whatever. It was fun but not as fun as the first one. I am hoping the ps4 title has something fresh and hooks us fans in since the second one didn't do too much for us.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Should be over halfway through now. "The Beast Draws Near" is the last mission I completed. As the name implies, The Beast has arrived in New Marais, having finished its path of destruction across the eastern seabord of the United States.

We shot a nuke at it, seemingly killing the monster, only for it to almost immediately begin reforming. It's not going well.

In other developments, I've completely liberated the first island from gang territory, along with about half of the second island -- "Flood Town" as they call it, still inundated from water by Hurricane Katrina in 2004 (they don't say that's the hurricane that did it, but the news does say it happened in 2004, and this place couldn't more obviously be an analogue of New Orleans).

Let me also say that the news reports are one of my favorite and the most immersive elements of the world building in this and the first game.

In still other developments, my comrade, Agent Kuo, is now a superpowered Conduit herself, having been captured and experimented on. She and Cole have also attempted to exchange powers. Though she didn't receive any of my lightning abilities, I have several new ice powers. With the great variety I now have, I can launch myself into the air on a column of ice, then rapidly propel myself with lightning thrusters. It's not quite flight, but it's damn close.

There's also ice grenades, ice rockets and a wall of ice spikes I can throw.

With this many abilities, I'm extremely impressed with the still intuitive and easy-to-use controls. If I had been told there would be this many new powers available, I would have thought things would inevitably get clunky and disorganized.

I've figured out, though, that the "new powers based on fire and ice" promised on the back of the game box are mutually exclusive. I had the option of attempting a switch with either Kuo or Nix, another Conduit. I chose Kuo because Nix is kind of violently crazy and Kuo is a good person. Both are hot, so that wasn't really a factor in the end.

Anyway, I'm guessing I would have gotten fire powers from Nix, what with the brimstone that fills the air whenever she teleports. Which also brings me to a new theory.

The Beast looks an awful lot like a building-sized version of Cole with fire and lightning powers. I can't help but wonder if this is yet another alternate future's version of him -- one where he became Infamous and chose to be evil. Kessler was physically taller than the present day Cole as well, as I recall, and had Conduits in the First Sons who could grow to building size, so it's not out of the question that Cole's size could change as well.

If this theory holds up, of course, which it may not. I've yet to see confirmation of my theory that John White is alive, though he may be the defected member of the Ice Soldiers, a group of poor bastards experimented on and also bestowed with Kuo's powers -- and now a new army of enemies.

Time will tell. Hopefully the next update will have answers to at least one of these big questions.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Really starting to think that my theory that The Beast is an alternate future's version of Cole is right. One of the Dead Drops (of which I've now collected all) mentions that Kessler said a Conduit would rise up in Empire City to become humanity's destroyer.

In other news, if John is still alive, he's not my Ice Soldier friend. That poor fellow's powers kept evolving to the point they consumed him and I had to kill him at his own request. Sucks. I liked him.

The funniest bit of the game also happened recently. Cole and Zeke ignored their phones and radio for a few hours to drink beer and watch a western together. A nice little buddy moment that really sits at the heart of this game now for me.

In still other news, I now have the Lightning Tether. I'm guessing this will be my last new power before I acquire the final Blast Core to activate the Ray Field Inhibitor.

Finally, I've located all the game's Blast Shards on my own and without use of the Blast Shard Sense ability. Though it is now available for purchase, I don't intend to ever buy it so as to have proof of doing it without.

And that's all for now. As I seem to be nearing the end of the game (almost all gang territory has been liberated), I imagine my next update will be the last.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So, The Beast was John White. I did not see that coming. Despite how sure I was that John would be alive, the thought never even occurred to me that he could be The Beast. I don't know if I just assumed John would still be a good guy or if I'm just slow.

In hindsight, it should have been obvious. John was ripped apart by the Ray Sphere's energy. The Beast took form in Empire City. The Beast puts itself back together when its body is destroyed. In order for John to be alive, he would have needed to put himself back together.

Okay, yeah, it's that I'm slow. I'm sure others caught this way ahead of time.

It seems that my theory about Cole being The Beast wasn't entirely baseless, though. Looking up the alternate ending you get for being evil, it seems Cole does become The Beast there after receiving John's powers.

How ironic (appropriate?), though, that the main villain of the story would have the same voice actor as Static from the "Static Shock" animated series.

And what a moving ending. Kuo's brief betrayal, Laroche and Nix's sacrifices to stall time for Cole to prepare the RFI, Cole and Kuo's reconciliation and tender farewell, the people of New Marais's recognition of Cole as a hero, Zeke's eulogy to his friend. I cried a little, not gonna lie. :monster:

It may be a long while before I'm able to play "Second Son," but I sure as hell want to. Even with it set seven years after the events in Empire City and New Marais (with the good ending as the canon ending), I want to see more of the world that those events helped shape.

That game is going to have a lot to live up to, though.

On the Trophy front, I've got all the ones that are possible for someone to get without doing any of the evil karma stuff, which I won't be doing. Actually, I am missing one Trophy: I need to make my own UGC mission and upload it.

So, I guess I'll do that at some point, but I'm in no hurry. I got everything that was important to me.

As a final word, I just have to say I fucking loved this game.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Honestly, both endings were really touching. I can't put my finger on which one I like the most but I'm just happy with them both. Also I didn't catch the John White discovery until after the fact so that was great surprise. Thanks for showing off your playthrough Tres.

Half as long.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I was gonna buy the first one the other day on a 3 for 2 deal. Toss up between InFamous or Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters won. I'll probably get it at some point

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Played through both as good. And only the first one as evil. Honestly the things you have to do to be "evil" in both games are not so much evil, but more douche like behavior. The first game was better imo, but I did like the "make your own mission/play other people's mission" aspect of the second game.

It does bother me that "morality" in the game is only black and white. There should of been some shades of grey, and more paths to take with your powers.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Perhaps that will be the direction Sucker Punch takes with "Second Son." It makes sense that they stuck with the obvious duality for a game whose plot and setting were so clearly pulled from superhero comics. They even used analogues of New York and New Orleans. It doesn't get much more comic booky than that.

If the fact that "Second Son" is set in the real-world city of Seattle is any indication, this third game will feel more grounded and possibly lend itself to shades of grey. Hell, the city itself stays pretty grey, what with all the rain.

And I guess because of Nirvana, I can't hear "Seattle" without associating it with angst.

Lex

Administrator
One word: wow. I can't wait to get this game, my PS4 is ready and so is my body <3

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
inFamous was one of the very first games that I got for my PS3 four years ago and I still love the series now. The first will always be the best for me, but the second was quite good as well. As much as I love Cole, I can't wait to play this new protagonist and to see what the world's like seven years later.

Lex

Administrator
This thread does not show up in searches which drives me nuts.

Anyway, live stream of the game with TROY BAKER OMG MARRY ME

Stream begins at 19:30 GMT

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I saw an advert for it in the cinemas today and got really excited. Only nine days to go!

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
So I totally pre-purchased this game today and it felt good. I had a missed call from the GAME I'd pre-ordered it in and couldn't get back to them, so thought I'd pop in as it was on my way home. I also paid for a nifty LittleBigPlanet-style Delsin keyring, too.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Picked up Second Son, and hopefully I'll have some time to play it. I know my roommate'll be enjoying the hell out of it, since he's played the rest of the series religiously, and I surprised him by picking up a copy knowing that he had the day off work. :monster:

X :neo:

Top Bottom