Final Fantasy 7 for iOS and Android will take 'years'

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
By year's end, every numbered Final Fantasy game from 1 through 6 will be available on iOS and Android. So, it should be pretty obvious what the team should be working on next. However, producer Takashi Tokita has bad news for fans. He says it will take years before the team tackles Final Fantasy 7 for mobile.

"Unfortunately, it's not that it's not impossible for us to develop Final Fantasy 7 for mobile," Tokita told Shacknews. "It's that currently, space will be an issue. Phones won't be able to contain the space it takes. It's over a gigabyte. People are probably going to have to wait a few years."

The FMV-heavy RPG took three CD-ROM discs when it debuted on PS1. The recent PC re-release ended up being 3GB large--well over the 2GB limit Apple imposes on iOS games. "It's definitely going to be years before we do the port," Tokita added.

sauce

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I guess with all the cool fanarts and cosplays you post, you have to balance it out with some mega shit news somewhere. :monster:

Good Weekly Roundup fodder anyway.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
"Phones won't be able to contain the space it takes. It's over a gigabyte."

they do realise that most phones have 16GB or more of storage now, right

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah, and that there's plenty of mobile games that take up that kind of space. Besides, plenty they could do; create a "Lite" and "HD" version with different resource sizes (I'm sure the game itself without the cutscenes would fit in <500 MB), and have the user pick whether to prefetch the cutscenes (i.e. download them) or stream them once they get to it (internet connection required). The latter option would be more suitable for those that play at home with wifi, though.

With most phones and tablets having a higher resolution than the PS1 could output nowadays though, I don't think they could downscale the movies much, :monster:. Modern video compression would work though, the original game's only on three CD's because it's plain mpeg video instead of a smarter compression algorithm.

Lex

Administrator
Theatrhythm takes up more space than all 3 raw ISO's of FFVII on the iPhone with most of the songs downloaded. Methinks they've inhaled some crack.

Top Bottom