FF now and 20 Years Ago: Takashi Tokita Interview

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I only read most of these articles for the whiny comments.

Too bad the story wasn't changed. From what I've heard, FFIV:TAY, has a wreck of a plot.

I'm mostly interested in what Takashi Tokita has to say because he was on the FFVII team. :monster:

FFVII debug room hub:
STARTMAP_UF.png

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Regarding After Years, I'll let you know, since I plan on playing it myself.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
In other words it's only bad if you hated FFIV in the first place?

Fine by me, I had no problems with the game.

Lex

Administrator
The best thing about The After Years is that it's like playing FFIV again. That's also the worst thing about it, though.

I like that they managed to release a game that felt like a true sequel, something that's entirely in keeping with the tone and style of the original game.

You know, that thing they failed to do with every other sequel they've ever made.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It's overkill, though. When every significant plot beat of the original gets retread down to leaving Edge and Rydia in a "will they or won't they" limbo even now that they're 17 years older it's annoying.

There are things I like about it. Don't get me wrong. I am quite fond of Gilbert's subplot, admittedly, even though the main portion of it rehashes the Desert Pearl scenario. On the whole, however, the game's plot just annoys the crap out of me.

It might be worth mentioning that I was never all that in love with FFIV to begin with. I liked it, but prefer everything that came after it, and usually like II better as well.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Whoever put that together made some astute observations with everything but the personality of the Cloud in the first picture not being the real Cloud, even in the original game.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
More like "What Nomura thinks of Cloud then/What Nomura thinks of Cloud now" if you ask me.

He's probably sick of people asking for a remake, so when they made Dissidia he was like "aw crap this again".

Also in most cases, in Dissidia, characters were taken out of various points in the stories of their own game: example Bartz was taken out when he mastered his Mime class, Kain, Cecil and Golbez were taken out POST-FFIV, Tifa was taken out some time before she met Cloud again (or at least she doesn't remember him), Gilgamesh appears AFTER he got lost in the rift, etc etc varying points in the respective games.

Cloud is probably taken out sometime between post-FFVII and pre-Advent Children when they put him in Dissidia.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Or I like to call those two pictures, "Cloud before he found out Sephiroth/Jenova/Hojo had messed with him" vs. "Cloud while Sephrioth made him think he hadn't really existed in the first place".

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
More like "What Nomura thinks of Cloud then/What Nomura thinks of Cloud now" if you ask me.

He's probably sick of people asking for a remake, so when they made Dissidia he was like "aw crap this again".

Also in most cases, in Dissidia, characters were taken out of various points in the stories of their own game: example Bartz was taken out when he mastered his Mime class, Kain, Cecil and Golbez were taken out POST-FFIV, Tifa was taken out some time before she met Cloud again (or at least she doesn't remember him), Gilgamesh appears AFTER he got lost in the rift, etc etc varying points in the respective games.

Cloud is probably taken out sometime between post-FFVII and pre-Advent Children when they put him in Dissidia.

Tifa doesn't remember Cloud because she was new to the cycle of battles. Everyone's memories were fucked up at first, and they only recovered them over repeated battle.

Pretty much everybody seems to be from post-their original game. Laguna isn't for obvious reasons, but Warrior of Light is the only other one confirmed to be from before his game since Dissidia is a prequel to the first Final Fantasy.

As for Gilgamesh, he was neither a Warrior of Chaos nor a Warrior of Cosmos. He just wandered in from the Rift on his own.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
I loved FFIV to bits, but even I got tired of the rehashed storylines in TAY. That said, it's kind of like a visit to a cabin you loved when you were a kid--you'll enjoy it again, but not with near the same feelings you had from before. I do have to say, additionally, that the split up of the chapters and the storyline AFTER the character's individual chapters is entertaining, at least. But hell is that last dungeon loooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg!

Top Bottom