Why did Tifa blame Shinra for Sephiroth burning down Nibelheim?

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
That's one thing I don't understand because Sephiroth was acting on his own when burned the town down. Or was it the guilt by association.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Well, you know Seffiros went batshit and whatnot, but Tifa at the time didn't - all she knew at the time was that there's these Shinra operatives doing stuff, then one of them burns shit.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Then again they did not take full responsibility when they covered the incident up.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
For whatever reason she blames them, you gotta admit she's pretty much entirely right :awesomonster:

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
For whatever reason she blames them, you gotta admit she's pretty much entirely right :awesomonster:

Yeah, when you look at it in the grand scheme of things everything bad that happens in the Compilation and the OG is Shinra's and Hojo's fault. :awesomonster:

Then again Shinra did burn down Barret's town which would mean even if Sephiroth didn't go psycho on Nibelheim they would probably have no qualms destroying the town if they felt that they were complacent in doing something against the company.

Last edited:

BlackSwordMeister

Lv. 25 Adventurer

Cloud himself is living proof of that.

Sephiroth may have burned the town but Shinra basically finished what he started by sending Hojo and a small detachment of soldiers to round up any survivors (Zack, Cloud, and others) for his experiments. Zangan's letter mentions what happened.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Poor writing mostly.

I have to disagree with you there. It makes perfect sense that a 16 year old girl who sees a Shinra operative destroy her hometown and kill her father would blame Shinra for what happened. For all she knew, Shinra ordered him to do it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Agreed, it makes sense why she blamed Shin-Ra. Even if she thought Zack was an okay guy, Sephiroth was the poster boy for the company and the one who did all that. It's not the same as if Zack had been the one to do it and Sephiroth went down fighting him instead. It would be assumed Sephiroth's actions were representative of Shin-Ra's wishes.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
Poor writing mostly.

sephy slashing everybody in sight, burns the hometown, and cutting the living shizz out of a 15 year old girl and leaves her there dying on the cold steel floor and laughs in the upper room about some crap about his mother, and to you she should be thinking "Hm....maybe there's some hope in Shin-ra" when she's nearly drowning in her own sticky blood?

oh yeah and lets note that shin-ra doesnt even APOLOGIZE by AT LEAST saying "Sorry, that's not how SOLDIERs work all the time. We'll pay your ER bills tho."

.....????????????

THAT's bad writing.

heck its not because she's young. any person would hate shin-ra for that.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
So, the main agreement here is Shinra didn't take repsonsiblity, chose to cover it up, and let Hojo the Terrible experiment on any survivors.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^Let's see... everyone in Nibelhiem knows that Sephiroth works for Shin-Ra, and that Shin-Ra sent him to Nibelheim... If anything Tifa is being astute enough to know that Shin-Ra should have known better then to send a mental messed up employe to fix a problem. From her pov they should have known better then to send Sephiroth to do the job.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
^^Let's see... everyone in Nibelhiem knows that Sephiroth works for Shin-Ra, and that Shin-Ra sent him to Nibelheim... If anything Tifa is being astute enough to know that Shin-Ra should have known better then to send a mental messed up employe to fix a problem. From her pov they should have known better then to send Sephiroth to do the job.

What do you expect from a company that has Hojo, a walking mix of complexes, as the head of its science division. :monster:

BlackSwordMeister

Lv. 25 Adventurer
The entire panel are loonies

What do you expect from a company that has Hojo, a walking mix of complexes, as the head of its science division. :monster:

It isn't just Hojo. The entire ShinRa management board are a bunch of loony bastards. (Yes, that includes you, Reeve, with your stuffed robot cat-thing-whatever.)

The entire board is either evil, crazy, stupid, or any combination of the three.

Last edited:

Novus

Pro Adventurer
Sephiroth was declared officially dead after the incident. Who else was she going to invest her energies into taking down?

Also Zangan's letter, I'm not sure if Tifa received it. But in either case, if she never returned to Nibleheim it suggests she was out in the wilderness all this time and eventually linked up with the eco-terrorists.

"Tifa, what's happened to our town? Was it all an illusion, or just a dream? No, it was neither. I remember trying to get people out of the flames, but not having the strength... Burning with anger, I went to the reactor to kill Sephiroth."
"But he was nowhere to be found. Instead, I found you, collapsed inside. I felt saving you was far more important than going after Sephiroth. There were several others that were still alive inside, but I was only able to save you."
"As I was coming out of the reactor, Shinra troops were just arriving. I recall a scientist named Hojo was in charge. He ordered the troops to gather up everyone still alive for the experiment. I didn't know what type of experiment he was talking about, but I wasn't about to let them have my dearest student."
"Putting you on my back, I headed down the mountain to the village. I used the Cure spell on you many times."
"And started to head for Midgar to look for a doctor for you. I don't like that city, but my Cure spells weren't helping."
"I decided to go to Midgar to find a doctor I could trust. I'm worried about you, but I can't settle down in one place for very long. Have you recovered fully? Are you well?"
"I wonder how many years have passed since then? I just got into town again, but I can't believe it... The whole town is back to normal, except for the strange beings with black clothes all around..."
"The town reeks of Shinra, but I won't go after them. You may think I'm running from them, but it's just that I don't want anything to do with Shinra anymore. Feels like time is running out."
"I'm sure you'll find this letter. And this gift for you. It should come in handy. I can't even jump anymore. But I hope you continue to sharpen your skills and remember what I taught you."
"To my most precious student, From Zangan"

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Sephiroth was declared officially dead after the incident. Who else was she going to invest her energies into taking down?

Also Zangan's letter, I'm not sure if Tifa received it. But in either case, if she never returned to Nibleheim it suggests she was out in the wilderness all this time and eventually linked up with the eco-terrorists.

I think it tells us he brought her too Midgar, then left her. Otherwise the message boils down too "So I never got around to bringing that doctor back, how are you getting on without medical treatment? Good?

Novus

Pro Adventurer
I think it tells us he brought her too Midgar, then left her. Otherwise the message boils down too "So I never got around to bringing that doctor back, how are you getting on without medical treatment? Good?

Yes, you're correct, my reading comprehension failed.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
Even if Tifa had known that Sephiroth was acting of his own volition, Shin-Ra brought him to Nibelheim so it's still pretty valid to assign them some responsibility.

That, and Shin-Ra is just a fucking evil corporation anyway, and Tifa is a major hipster. Why wouldn't she hate Shin-Ra?

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Because people look for someone to blame out of sheer emotional distress and anger. Even if they know it is not entirely the fault of someone else, they will generalize it since they are not thinking clearly.

See also: Hope Estheim

Same reason why people get angry at someone for dying. Or say "I HATE YOU (for leaving me)" when someone they really love dies. Their loved one couldn't control it and deep down they know that but they need to take it out on someone. Some people prefer to resort to yelling at God instead.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
That, and Shin-Ra is just a fucking evil corporation anyway, and Tifa is a major hipster. Why wouldn't she hate Shin-Ra?

I always had the impression Tifa was a smalltown girl who never even considered any of that stuff prior to the Nibelheim incident. She only became 'radicalised' (or whatever you want to call it) after that.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
I always had the impression Tifa was a smalltown girl who never even considered any of that stuff prior to the Nibelheim incident. She only became 'radicalised' (or whatever you want to call it) after that.

Oh, right, I forgot she said that in the flashback, not in the "present."

Well, still, a 16 year old girl who just found her father murdered screams that she hates "Sephiroth, ShinRa, mako reactors, and everything" and you're going to look for a rational explanation as to why she decided to throw ShinRa into the bunch?

Shit, she could throw bunny rabbits into the bunch if she happened to see a bunny rabbit hop by at the moment that she found her dad and I still wouldn't find anything about that logic to not jive with the way human emotion works.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I've never questioned it myself :monster: it always made perfect sense why she would hate Shinra, Sephiroth and anything to do with them.

Colours

Changing pressure.
I think she really just hated everything to do with SHINRA, that's Sephiroth, and Soldier included.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
I'd like to point out that Tifa was technically 15 at the time of the Nibelheim incident, not 16. Not that it makes much of a difference, but still.

Top Bottom