FFVIII Community Playthrough

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Due to the intense public demand, we're starting a few days earlier than planned. :monster: This is the thread for TheLifestream.net's Community Playthrough of Final Fantasy VIII!

iLJEltY.jpg

Participants
  • Amizon (currently known as Clara Oswald)
  • AvecAloes
  • brian
  • Fangu
  • ForceStealer
  • Knuckles
  • Kuroto
  • Kuja9001
  • Maidenofwar
  • Minato Arisato
  • Obsidian Fire
  • Prince Lex
  • TresDias (currently known as Martha Jones)
  • Sprites
This list was compiled from community members who posted in the poll thread as saying that they would be playing. If I'm missing anyone or someone no longer wishes to be listed, please let me know.​

How to Play
If you have the original discs, you can play it on the PS, PSone, PS2 or (some) PS3s. The game is also available for download from the PlayStation Store for PSP, PS Vita and PS3.​

If you have ISOs for the game, then you can play it that way too. I don't personally know how all that works, but others here do.​

Tips
Copied and pasted from Absolute Steve's walkthrough at GameFAQs:​

• Save often. Whenever you've played for 15+ minutes, save. You can always save your game on the worldmap.
  • Heal after battles. Some nasty status effects may still haunt you many battles long. Also restore lost HP with Potions or curing spells.
  • Junction properly! It's not that hard if you follow the game's instructions. It's in fact very easy, and it makes the game a lot more easy as well.
  • Talk to everyone to find out information about the world.
  • Enemies level up with you. Therefore, do NOT level up. I'm not saying you are never allowed to gain a level, but just don't go levelling up. At the near end of the game, equip Stat Bonus abilities and THEN level up to gain alot of stat boosts.
  • The ability Enc-None (from Diablos) will prevent all random encounters.
  • The ability Move-Find (from Siren) will show all hidden FIELD Save Points and Draw Points. Any Draw Points on the worldmap are always hidden.
  • Draw Points refill based on your steps. This usually takes a few ten-thousand steps to refill a Draw Point. Just so you know, it's not time duration.
  • Remodelling Weapons is a waste of time unless you get to the end of Disc 3. It only adds a very small amount of Strength. Only Squalls Weapons add a new Limit Break Finisher. Only Selphie's Strange Vision adds a very large amount of Hit% (255%, never misses), but besides those it's not worth it until Disc3.
  • Play A LOT of Triple Triad. This is the card game, and learn Card and Card Mod (from Quezacotl) as soon as possible to get the huge benefits from this game.
  • Do NOT mix rules with playing cards, UNLESS it is specified in this Guide. If you don't follow this advice, you may end up with some very nasty rules wide spread all over the world. You don't want the Random rule to be everywhere.
  • Whenever a GF learns an ability, go into the menu after battle and select the new ability to learn. The initial learning order is NOT EFFICIENT, because it will switch to GF HP+ and SumMag+ abilities, which you should mostly learn last.
  • Do NOT unlearn unique GF abilities. If you're going to unlearn something (with Amnesia Greens), I suggest unlearning a GF HP+ or SumMag+ ability.
  • ALL enemies can be 'Vit0', which is a status cast by Meltdown which completely reduces an enemy's Vit AND Spr to 0.
  • Before facing a boss, check which GF abilities you want to learn. Many bosses give alot of AP, so checking your GF abilities is always a good idea.
  • Many bosses can be slowed or have other weaknesses. Take advantage of this.
Note that the use of AbsoluteSteve's guide is not required for this Community Playthrough. Playing the game with only your wits to guide you can be a fulfilling experience. If you do wish to consult an online guide, however, this one is widely endorsed and highly regarded.

Chapters
Completion of the game will be split into the following chapters, to be completed on a weekly basis:​

5. New Horizons (Balamb Garden, MD level, Fisherman's Horizon)
6. Drifting (Balamb, Trabia Garden, sidequests)
7. Victory & Defeat (Galbadia Garden, Great Salt Lake)
8. Never Let Go (Esthar, Lunar Base, Ragnarok, Sorceress Memorial, Orphanage, Presidential Palace, sidequests)
9. Killing Time (sidequests, stat building, final preparations, etc.)
10. 'Til the End of the World (Lunatic Pandora, Time Compressed World, final bosses)

Those of you already familiar with the game will notice that these chapters are pretty thick chunks, but taken at this pace, the game really doesn't put that much pressure on you to complete it. These are rather natural breaks in the pacing and progression of the story, and would most likely be the chunks a new player would end up digesting it in otherwise. The time needed for each will vary and will ultimately depend on the player at the controller.

Players new to FFVIII, you can be rest assured: Ten or eleven weeks to finish the game, taking on each of these chunks one at a time, is plenty. Were this playthrough planned to last longer than that, you would either lose interest or want to move on ahead of the rest of us.​

Some among us may plan a group chat on Skype or IRC to converse while playing together. It is not necessary to attend these chats. Just play the chapters and -- if you don't mind sharing your thoughts on that week's chapter -- make a post about it here.​

Questions will be posted at the announcement of each chapter for you to ponder as you play (or after completion of the chapter if that's more your style). It is not necessary to answer these either if you don't wish. You could just post a write-up of your overall thoughts about the chapter -- or post nothing at all even. But where's the fun in that?​

The questions are just there to make this all more fun and to give us something to talk about. They might be a good starting point for other things you'd like to talk about, and your posts can be as long or as short, as detailed or as skimpy as you care for them to be.​

Also, if you have questions of your own about the current chapter that you'd like to pose to other participants in the playthrough, don't be shy: go ahead.​

Finally, and most of all, have fun!​

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Chapter One: School Days
Target:
lcRiAPn.png

To be completed by start of: 11/20/2013​
  • What did you think of the opening sequence? How do you feel it compares to other FF opening sequences?
  • Did you read the information available on Squall's study panel or just head on out into the game?
  • What do you think of the overall aesthetic in this game (character models, backgrounds, technology, etc.) compared to other FFs?
  • Did you start playing Triple Triad yet? What do you think of it?
  • Did you take the transfer student on the tour as she requested?
  • What time limit did you pick for the Fire Cavern? Were you successful with your first choice?
  • Did you have any trouble beating the other time during the field exam?
  • How many times did you fight X-ATM092? Did you try to destroy it? Were you successful?
  • Did you get the GF Siren?
  • What do you think of the controls/exploration compared to other FF titles?
  • What about the battle system?
  • Are you enjoying the story? What do you think of it so far?
  • Anything else of interest stand out to you?

Lex

Administrator
Huzzah. I'll be doing my chapter this weekend. I'll probably stream it too. I'm thinking I'll play the actual PAL discs on my PS2 and stream it from the console rather than emulating :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
*fake pouts about being left off the list and then goes back to rebuilding all the magic stocks I had last time around*

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
What did you think of the opening sequence? How do you feel it compares to other FF opening sequences?

Still probably the best opening sequence in an FF game.

Did you read the information available on Squall's study panel or just head on out into the game?

I reviewed the info, been a while since I played this game seriously.

What do you think of the overall aesthetic in this game (character models, backgrounds, technology, etc.) compared to other FFs?

For a single game I don't mind but I wish Nomura had gotten the need for a modern setting out of his system with FF8.

So yeah, I'm gonna participate too.

Fangu

Great Old One
Now, since I already played a bit on this game already a few weeks back, I get to update already! Wooo!

A note: I play sans guide. I like to know at little as possible when I play. There is a chance this might make my progress slow but that's how I like it.

CHAPTER 1
What did you think of the opening sequence? How do you feel it compares to other FF opening sequences?
To be honest, the font they've used and the way they've used the latin letters annoys me a little. It looks strange. It's one of those things where I wish they just kept the Japanese writings and subbed it instead. Other than that, I like the music. It's very dramatic, but that doesn't bother me too much. Yeah I like it, but I still like VII, XII and XIII's openings more.
Did you read the information available on Squall's study panel or just head on out into the game?
I read all of it. It didn't make much sense to me but I like the menu, I thought it was cute. I can't remember if that's where you get to see the map of the SeeD quarters? Cus I remember getting to that round thingy and thinking I was glad I read the basics of the map before getting there. I always like having some kind of overview before being given choices.
What do you think of the overall aesthetic in this game (character models, backgrounds, technology, etc.) compared to other FFs?
I really like it. The models looks a bit overly skinny, but then I'm reminded this was the follow up to VII, where video game characters where still video game characters, and not yet as realistic as they are today. I like the feel of it.
Did you start playing Triple Triad yet? What do you think of it?
Nah, not yet.
Did you take the transfer student on the tour as she requested?
Yep.
What time limit did you pick for the Fire Cavern? Were you successful with your first choice?
I think I picked 20 minutes (was it?) Edit: Nope I picked 10, and failed it, so I had to go again. This time I think I picked 30 Edit: 20 minutes and did a lot better.
Did you have any trouble beating the other time during the field exam?
Hmmmm I can't remember which one this is... is that the one for the next point? Cus that went fine.
How many times did you fight X-ATM092? Did you try to destroy it? Were you successful?
I think I fought him all possible times. I remember stealing/taking/absorbing or what you call it some really nice things from him, which made it worth it. Edit: Protect!
Did you get the GF Siren?
Yes.
What do you think of the controls/exploration compared to other FF titles?
Hmm... it's fine. It's still very FF-y to me; maps, battles, boss fights, espers, weapons, menus and what have you. I'll probably have more to say at a later point. I find that I care about the Espers/Summon in this game, though, which is something I haven't done before. I like that.
What about the battle system?
It's cool. Hard to say more at this point, but I like the junctions and GF's. Although I find that for every new FF I play, I like the battle system more than the last one, hurr X) (Except X, of course.)
Are you enjoying the story? What do you think of it so far?
It's fine. Nothing outstanding yet, but I have to say I do like the characters. Especially Quistis, that dude in the white coat (Seifer?) and Squall are all likable characters and I enjoy their interactions.
Anything else of interest stand out to you?
SHIVA ALL THE THINGS! Seriously Shiva is my bitch and she's been super useful so far.

I like the music in the SeeD location a lot.

Oh and I loved the dog in the square and I was SO AFRAID something bad would happen to him.

Last edited:

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Can I join? I'm currently doing a challenge run(/one boss away from the end of Disc 3/Rage Quit today) so it can be put on hold for now.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero

Its my favorite opening in the series, the song "Liberi Fatali" is amazing and the lyrics when translated foreshadow important events.

I read some of yrs ago but 90% of the time I grab the GFs and head out.

I love the FMVs

Currently yes. I lost a ton of good cards as a kid so once I understood it I got good at it. Its easily one of the best mini-games in the series for me.

No.

What time limit did you pick for the Fire Cavern? Were you successful with your first choice?

10 Mins. Currently on my challenge run I was able to defeat Ifrit with only physical attacks.

No

How many times did you fight X-ATM092? Did you try to destroy it? Were you successful?

On this run I only fouht it once, No. I have destroyed it twice during other runs.

Yes

I love the fact that I don't need to hold an additional button in order to run.

Breakable if you want it and challenging if you want so I like it.

Back in the day, I really felt like I was doing the field exam. Loving it.

Anything else of interest stand out to you?

The Concept of GFs interest me but I'll save my actual thought for later.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I will start this weekend of course, but just as a question. Are there really PS3's that you couldn't play this original game on? I've never encountered one that couldn't.
I mainly mention this as I've noticed that when the big to-do about PS3's losing backwards compatibility happened, many people seemed to take it to mean ALL backwards compatibility, when it was really just PS2.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I will start this weekend of course, but just as a question. Are there really PS3's that you couldn't play this original game on? I've never encountered one that couldn't.
I mainly mention this as I've noticed that when the big to-do about PS3's losing backwards compatibility happened, many people seemed to take it to mean ALL backwards compatibility, when it was really just PS2.

My PS3 definitely doesn't do PSX games.

AvecAloes

Donator
When I researched PS3s before I bought one, I saw that not ALL original PS games would be playable, but I haven't encountered any games that haven't worked. Then again, I don't have very many original PS games.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
*fake pouts about being left off the list and then goes back to rebuilding all the magic stocks I had last time around*

My bad! Now addressed.

So yeah, I'm gonna participate too.

Woohoo!

To be honest, the font they've used and the way they've used the latin letters annoys me a little. It looks strange. It's one of those things where I wish they just kept the Japanese writings and subbed it instead.

It's actually identical in the Japanese releases. They used the roman alphabet in both.

Can I join? I'm currently doing a challenge run(/one boss away from the end of Disc 3/Rage Quit today) so it can be put on hold for now.

What Avec said. :monster:

My understanding is that most PS3s freeze up with this game during the Garden battle.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Huh, well it recognises MGS. Maybe it's just FF7 and it's like that it won't do. I have my PS2 placed right next toitso I guess I never had to earnestly try.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Just once, got my ass kicked by the tollbooth guy.
Yes.
10:00 and yes.
No I hurried down to see machinegunning Quistis.
Twice and no.
Yes.
Definitely give you enough to do each area which, given that you don't need to collect weapons or armor can't have been easy.
Like it a lot more then I did when I was 9~ at which time Junctioning was lost on me and the uselessness of leveling was as well.
Not much too say so far, Squall is being an awfully good sport about being hospitalised the morning of the field exam.

Lex

Administrator
I still have all my PS One games. They all play fine on the PS3 (every FF that was released for PS1 played to completion on it). Includes Crash Bandicoot games, Abe's Oddysey, Kula World etc. Don't really know what else to say, other than try it again Minato. They should definitely work. Especially the FF games, they're 100% supported across all PS3 models.

I might actually do this playthrough on my PS3. I can't decide between that or the Vita. Or I could play it on the Vita through remote play on the PS3... hmmmm.

What I HAVE decided, is that I'm going to play the original PAL discs because I haven't in so long. I don't really care about the small speed hit. I might prefer to play it on PS2, since it has better loading times and stuff. I'll probably stream it anyway. Probably on saturday. Assuming the stuff to fix my TV arrives by then :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I'm going to either start this on Friday/Saturday and stream it from my PS3. Been quite a while since I picked this one up and it's the first FF I ever owned, so I'm pretty excited to do it for the millionth time.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I don't think I'm going to join in with this one, but I'll answer any story-related questions that tickle my fancy :)

Selphie Tilmitt

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Maidenofwar
Downloading this from PS3 tonight. Not sure how much time I'll have to put into it though. Am more tired from the week than I thought I'd be.

I've played it before (last run was a NGF challenge), just not for a long time.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Think I'll stream this later on or something. Going to see how I feel once I've had something to eat, as I don't want to aggravate my bad shoulder anymore than I should.

Top Bottom