FFVII Speed Run in 2:26:09

Lex

Administrator
This dude uses the "Yuffie Warp" glitch to complete the game in two and a half hours. Jeebus.

Currently (and unsurprisingly), the world record.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'll definitely watch this. I'm more interested in glitch-free runs - I've been waiting for Garland to finish his speed run for ages - but any new record is an achievement, glitches or otherwise.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
I normally don't like glitched runs where they significantly break the game, that being said these runs are fantastic. I still prefer the legitimate strats over glitched runs for the Final Fantasy games though, there's just something about watching someone run a long game in under 10 hours without stopping is really great.

Fangu

Great Old One
I want to point your attention to the name of one of his chapters.

50shadesoftseng_zpsb37c8ee0.jpg

OH, LIIIIIIIIIIC?

I'm suing.

I was originally going to say that I didn't really see the point of speed runs. Maybe with a platformer, yes, but with an RPG? That's like speed-eating a gourmet banquet.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'll definitely watch this. I'm more interested in glitch-free runs - I've been waiting for Garland to finish his speed run for ages - but any new record is an achievement, glitches or otherwise.

I don't really mind glitch exploits that just make use of what's there. This is really just the same as when you and Lex skipped encountering the Turks under Midgar during your speedrun competition. It's not a code or hacking the game; it's just taking advantage of what's there.

Actually, as buggy as the game's code is, it's doubtful that anyone has ever experienced a truly glitch-free run with FFVII, even if it was only the glitches in the affection rating mechanics. Unless they were doing a solo Cloud run or something like that.

Lex

Administrator
Running to the right while the Diamond Weapon FMV is playing after the fight. This happens:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I normally don't like glitched runs where they significantly break the game, that being said these runs are fantastic. I still prefer the legitimate strats over glitched runs for the Final Fantasy games though, there's just something about watching someone run a long game in under 10 hours without stopping is really great.

I'd take a legit 2-3 hour run that exploits the game being the world record over having the previous world record which was a complete load of BS for the speed running community :monster:

*Context*
The guy did a *8 hour run* over the course of about 90 hours by not following a real time clock and only going by the in game clock and exploiting RNG and save states and also going over the save limit and various other rules set by SRA and SRL.

edit:

Not to mention glitch runners/any percenters are truly awesome and dedicated people and imo deserve the records the most. They bring a lot of attention and activity to games that have been out of the limelight for years. Heck even as early as 6 months ago new developments were found in Ocarina of Time due to these awesome dudes bringing the world record down from just under 20 minutes all the way to about 11 minutes!

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I was originally going to say that I didn't really see the point of speed runs. Maybe with a platformer, yes, but with an RPG? That's like speed-eating a gourmet banquet.
Eh, not really. You can play a game for its story, and you can play a game again for its story if you really wanted, but the first time you play it will be the most impactful and meaningful in terms of story.

The more you play it the more it will be about the mechanics. You solved the puzzles the first time you played, and you know the tricks to complete it quicker.

People then challenge themselves and try to understand how everything works in order to exploit it. The people that speed run already know the story, and doing an ordinary playthrough again isn't going to be like regular-eating a gourmet banquet. But there will be satisfaction in solving the challenges presented with a speed run.

Anyway, I'm fine with using glitches and exploits in runs. But using pre-made save files doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
I didn't know that the Yuffie glitch was considered in competitive speed running. that pretty much changes everything. That said from what little I know of speedrunning, they are constantly trying to break records so I give it another few months before it changes hands again.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I don't really mind glitch exploits that just make use of what's there. This is really just the same as when you and Lex skipped encountering the Turks under Midgar during your speedrun competition. It's not a code or hacking the game; it's just taking advantage of what's there.

Actually, as buggy as the game's code is, it's doubtful that anyone has ever experienced a truly glitch-free run with FFVII, even if it was only the glitches in the affection rating mechanics. Unless they were doing a solo Cloud run or something like that.
You're not wrong. Some bugs and glitches affect everyone (at least on certain versions of the game), even if they're trying to avoid them. So I had to think about what made me feel a little underwhelmed by this run, which I've now watched. I have to agree with JBedford: it's the use of an existing save file to exploit the glitch. How much time did the player spend getting to that point in the Northern Crater on his other file? I'm tempted to say those hours should be added to his overall time, although that would obviously defeat the whole point of the run.

Fangu

Great Old One
I agree on that second save file thing. If the glitch could be triggered without using separate save files, I'd be more likely to call it valid. But I guess that's the whole point of 'glitch speedrunning'. Any glitch is allowed to use.

I like speedruns, but I'm not a big fan on segmented ones, at least not when they're put together to present a final time for the whole game. Segmented runs also takes skills, by all means, but - it's not a proper game run imo.

Speed is one thing though, low levels another - I like those crazy strategic low level boss fight challenges more than speedruns I think, but what I do like about speedruns is they take just as much (probably more) intense planning and economic thinking as low level runs.

What is amazing about this guy is, apparently he doesn't know Japanese. He does everything by photographic memory. That's what impressed me the most with this video. There aren't a lot of people like him.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I agree on that second save file thing. If the glitch could be triggered without using separate save files, I'd be more likely to call it valid. But I guess that's the whole point of 'glitch speedrunning'. Any glitch is allowed to use.

I like speedruns, but I'm not a big fan on segmented ones, at least not when they're put together to present a final time for the whole game. Segmented runs also takes skills, by all means, but - it's not a proper game run imo.

Speed is one thing though, low levels another - I like those crazy strategic low level boss fight challenges more than speedruns I think, but what I do like about speedruns is they take just as much (probably more) intense planning and economic thinking as low level runs.

What is amazing about this guy is, apparently he doesn't know Japanese. He does everything by photographic memory. That's what impressed me the most with this video. There aren't a lot of people like him.

Oh. I didnt know he used multiple save files to achieve the bug (havent watched yet).

In that case I'd also personally call this run a BS run :monster:
In Speed runs you have to count every aspect of the run into your clock time, if he had to get to a certain point in the game in a separate file it MUST be included in the total run time.

This is why real time clocks (and streams) are a must for speed running, other wise these BS segmented runs end up taking the record when they sneak in things like this. It's safe to say im pretty annoyed by this, but then again I dont know why im surprised since as I said the last FF7 speed run record holder was also a complete load of crap.

This is actually extremely common in the speed running community. Often times the most optimal version of a game for speed running is in another language.

This is for several reasons; Generally its likely the japanese version is the initial retail "unpatched" version and can be a veritable breeding ground for glitches. And secondly due to the nature of the language you can shave off a lot of seconds (even minutes sometimes) from your run due to the dialogue in the game moving across the screen faster.

Further more due to the nature of the glitches having excellent photo memory and muscle memory is a must. A lot of the times you have to execute certain manuevers or position the character just so at exact frames in the game to get the desired affect.

For instance the world record for Ocarina of Time requires that the player takes out a bottle at a certain frame early on. If they miss it they generally have to start all over.

Heres a good video on the over all subject (with a 23minute OoT run time)

About 6 months after this run was done new bugs in OoT were found making the run even faster too :monster:

tl;dr. Given the fact that this user used multiple saves to get the WR for FF7 but only counted one save states run time for his final time I call complete BS on his WR and am gonna be salty about it all day. Will probably google around to find more people like me complaining about it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
...i think he included it. The time is the length of the stream video, not the in game clock, unless I misunderstood something. And he's in the second file for a few seconds, I dunno how far ahead he was of the previous record, if those seconds would make the difference.

How can you even use the in game clock in VII when there's no way to check it after approaching Jenova Synthesis?

Fangu

Great Old One
The total time is the one he keeps track of to the left. He didn't include the time it took to get his party to the Northern Crater on the second save file, only the time it took to load that particular save file.

Hmm, this is my first time seeing the Japanese PC version. Interesting. Very interesting.
*COMPARISON MODE*

The ending credits are clearly taken from the PC version. The Japanese Playstation version begins with this image
Credit_image_JP_only.png

then follows with the names of the main producer fading in and out before the actual scrolling starts.

The 500 Years Later FMV is also from the English versions, because normally we'd see a Japanese subtitle to the "500 Years Later" message.

As expected, the Japanese font is different (and of higher resolution) than the PS1 counterpart. I reckon they just took the English PC game and inserted the Japanese into it, rather than engineering from the Japanese game. But that's just my speculation.

*END OF COMPARISON MODE...for now*

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The total time is the one he keeps track of to the left. He didn't include the time it took to get his party to the Northern Crater on the second save file, only the time it took to load that particular save file.

Oh oh oh, I get what you're saying. Good point, sorry.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
...i think he included it. The time is the length of the stream video, not the in game clock, unless I misunderstood something. And he's in the second file for a few seconds, I dunno how far ahead he was of the previous record, if those seconds would make the difference.

How can you even use the in game clock in VII when there's no way to check it after approaching Jenova Synthesis?

Your not supposed to use the in game clocks for any games on speed runs because they can be manipulated through save states and are often times flat out wrong (they tend to skip several minutes here and there).

And as Fangu noted he's not taking into account the time it took him to get to the northern crater on the second file into his total time.

Were not talking seconds here, were talking hours.
edit:

Was hanging around the SRL chat and a loooot of people are salty about this run being considered a WR.The general consensus is you exploit the game NOT the community.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
lol "salty", I like your use of that word.

It's a world record for Yuffie Warping, I wouldn't say it's considered the world record for the game in general. i.e. there's that dude on Twitch who got the FFVII single segment world record (I watched him at it every day for weeks, so many deaths and failed runs due to materia keeper, demon's gate and carry armour as would be expected) he managed something like 8:20 something, beating the previous WR holder by 7 seconds. This was only a few months ago, I posted about it here.

This is an article about it, but the video doesn't seem to be on Twitch anymore. I'm positive it's on YouTube somewhere.

Anyway yeah, I guess Yuffie glitching can be considered a new category of speedrunning the game, just like "slots" or "no slots", "segmented" or "single-segment".

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Im aware of the different categories for Speed runs lol and am also aware that Speed run WR's arent official in the sense of other WR's. But its still something that is huge in the SR community and its just really cheap when people like this guy want to tout that they have a WR on a certain run but then dont even mention there true total time.

This one easily falls under any percent, which still needs to take into account full time of all save states used.

Its like think of it this way.

Back in the day before the current wrong warping was "The" way to any percent a OoT speed run the best way to do it was to glitch your way to the first fight with ganondorf.
Except in order to beat him at that stage you needed light arrows. To have light arrows you need arrows, to have arrows you need a quiver. To use light arrows you need magic and so on. Obviously you had to do all of this to make use of the method.

If someone just loaded up a file after having done all of that and just beat ganondorf and called it the current speed run record for any percent the community would be up in arms flaming the guy.

The same applies here. The extra save file is an integral part of the glitch and speed run he must include the time for that additional save file in his total time even if it was done at a different time from the main segment of the speed run.

This guy can claim its a 2 and a half hour run all he wants but thats simply not the truth.

Last edited:

Novus

Pro Adventurer
I'm suing.

I think running through an art gallery might be a better analogy, or in the case of glitch runs, taking the lift.
To me the speed videos themselves are just referential material like an essay citation. I just watch the last minute to see what lvl they were at, and presume someone else has vetted the content of the full thing to make sure there is nothing missing. I don't believe anyone here has seriously sat through even two hours of a speedrun.

With that said, I wonder what is the fastest real world time of a playthrough?

Top Bottom