Which version of Final Fantasy VIII should I buy?

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
I have the demo for FFVIII with the PS1 version of FFVII, but the PC version is on steam and has chocobo world, but to compare a PC game with a PS1 game is unfair, so which one should I buy?

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
You should probably make your own decision so that your inevitable "how can you enjoy this game: mark ii" thread isn't centered around your hatred of the person who tells you which version to buy.

:monster:

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
You should probably make your own decision so that your inevitable "how can you enjoy this game: mark ii" thread isn't centered around your hatred of the person who tells you which version to buy.

:monster:

My FF7 thread had nothing to do with buying the PS1 version.

Last edited:

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
My mum's told me to buy the PC version because its cheaper, though I think its a bit unfair to compare a PC game with a PS1 game.

my mum let me buy the PS1 version. again, because its unfair to compare FF7 on the PS1 to FF8 on the PC.

Last edited:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Let me save your mother a few bucks by telling you this:

It's called Final Fantasy 8 and it's still not the final game in the Final Fantasy series.
The gameplay is still turn based.
There's still random encounters.
There is still no easy mode for you.
The story is still complex as VII.
The game will take longer than an hour for you to beat.
The music is still too "8-bit" for your delicate ears.
It is not a racing game.
It is not Need for Speed. None of the Final Fantasy games are Need for Speed.

Don't buy FFVIII if all you're gonna do is poorly struggle like you did in FFVII (and yes, you will struggle through FFVIII because I don't think you'll even understand how the junction system works) and complain about how everything sucks. (Except for the graphics.) You should stop wasting your poor mother's money on games you don't even like.

Last edited:

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
Let me save your mother a few bucks by telling you this:

It's called Final Fantasy 8 and it's still not the final game in the Final Fantasy series.
The gameplay is still turn based.
There is still no easy mode for you.
The game will take longer than an hour for you to beat.
The music is still too "8-bit" for your delicate ears.
It is not a racing game.
It is not Need for Speed. None of the Final Fantasy games are Need for Speed.

Don't buy FFVIII if all you're gonna do is poorly struggle like you did in FFVII (and yes, you will struggle through FFVIII because I don't think you'll even understand how the junction system works) and complain about how everything sucks. (Except for the graphics.) You should stop wasting your poor mother's money on games you don't even like.

1. I never complained about difficulty
2. Does this sound like 16 bits of chiptune horror to you?
3. I only compared The original Need for speed and final fantasy VII in terms of graphics, stop being an idiot.
4. To Complain about games that I don't play is unfair, thats why i'm buying it.

Last edited:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
1. I never complained about difficulty
Yes you have. It has taken you nearly 2 months for you to barely get into ShinRa building all the while bitching and moaning about the battle system and random encounters (I distinctly remember you having trouble fighting a Hell House, of all things) whereas most people can beat FFVII in 2 months. Hell, in the first 5 hours of Final Fantasy VII you could probably reach ShinRa building.

2. Does this sound like 16 bits of chiptune horror to you?
First of all, the video you picked has the full CD song version. Of freaking course it's going to sound better than it was in the game -- which actually sounds like it's weirdly distorted when it plays in the game. Second of all, VIII came out a year and a half after VII did, which means that they got better at the technology they were using.

3. I only compared The original Need for speed and final fantasy VII in terms of graphics, stop being an idiot.
Only when you stop having a raging hard on for the original Need for Speed for having supposedly superior graphics and gameplay when we have repeatedly told you that Need for Speed and Final Fantasy VII are completely different games in different genres with different constraints and limitations?

4. To Complain about games that I don't play is unfair, thats why i'm buying it.
So...you'd willingly play games you don't like just to complain about them. Seems like a dreadfully stupid way to waste both time and money.
Like I said: stop wasting your mother's money on games you don't like. If you're going to waste money just so that you can complain about dumb shit in a game you don't like, at least waste your own money.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
You're free to do whatever you want, obviously, but I personally have to endorse the wacky notion of playing games you think you will enjoy playing.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
....I told you to get Dissidia Duodecim, THEN DECIDE.

Or at least watch some youtube game play videos...

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It depends on whether you want to splay out on the couch with a controller or sit behind a PC tbh. That, or whether you like ye olde PS1 graphics or glorious PC Master Race high-resolution anti-aliased texture filtered gloriousness, in which case you're probably best off playing the PS1 version on an emulator on PC or better, :monster:.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
My mum's told me to buy the PC version because its cheaper, though I think its a bit unfair to compare a PC game with a PS1 game.

my mum let me buy the PS1 version. again, because its unfair to compare FF7 on the PS1 to FF8 on the PC.

It is unfair. I have heard nothing but complaints about the music quality of the Steam version. Do yourself a favor and get the ps1 version.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Shots fired, :monster:. I think it's quite interesting to see how there's definite chunks of people that like one particular FF game the best - usually their first one, but not always.

IDK if there's a correlation with that and any other factor though, :monster:. I liked FFVIII, I started it again on my PS3 but haven't gotten that far yet.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
FFVIII is the kind of game you need to play twice to really appreciate. I don't think you would do that, so I recommend skipping it.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I loved Final Fantasy VIII the first time I played it. I distinctly remember sitting with the strategy guide open for the duration of a three-hour flight so I could work out exactly how to get all the ingredients I needed for everyone's ultimate weapon. And the main reason I was doing that was so that I could prolong the game before I had to finish it. I must have been 12 or 13 at the time.

There are lots of great things about it. Lots of bad things, too, but I think it's worth a try.

Top Bottom