THE LIFESTREAM ANNOUNCEMENT: Show of hands, who wants to do stuff?

Are you willing to actively contribute to the site?

• Total voters

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
This is a discussion from a previous topic. For a little while, there was a sentiment here by some of us that only the Staff are supposed to do anything while the memberbase sits around and waits on us to do cool stuff.

Fortunately, this doesn't really have to be how it works. Theoretically, the best case scenario for a site like this is for everyone, everyone to do, and start projects and fan development with very little Staff interaction, except for putting it up on the site and moderation. Said projects and fan development stuff includes but is not limited to; fan works, translations, interviews, remixes (and support of the remixers, something I suggested we should do here), fanart, retranslations of the games, official art, fan created games (good ones too), gameplay guides, FAQS, game scripts, the Encylopedia, massive amounts of editorials from its regular members and etcetera etcetera.

Now the question is, is anyone willing to actually START (not just 'help out when the Staff starts it') any of these ideas and actually get a good number of people to help out? I just want to get the mindset going that it DOESN'T just have to be Staff that starts and organizes this kind of thing. It has to be the mindset of EVERYONE to do.

Also, if you can contribute or have any ideas, please post them in this topic!

If you're interested in the string of comments that inspired this topic;

Well, like I said before, Chrono Compendium does a good job with maintaining a site with new stuff even though both of the games its build around are older and well weathered. Granted, like we discussed before, that's mostly because the Chrono series has a hell of a lot more to talk about, but even then, they're creative. They don't limit it to just discussions.

They have fan works, they personally dig up translations, interviews, remixes (and support of the remixers, something I suggested we should do here), fanart, retranslations of the games, official art, fan created games (good ones too), gameplay guides, FAQS, game scripts, the Encylopedia, massive amounts of editorials from its regular members (something else we should do, and it PROVES that Staff shouldn't be the only ones to have to do things such as editorials), analysis, etc etc. I could go on!

The problem with the community here is that a lot of the userbase has the "What have you done for me lately" attitude with the Staff, tapping their feet waiting on us, whereas with a site such as Chrono Compendium, everyone pitches in to do anything and everything.

I would have suggested doing exactly that: something like the Compendium. Make an encyclopedia so goddamned big the gods will notice us again, write tons of essays and analyses and timelines. I didn't, because I can't make any pledge to support it. I'm way too busy (well, except right this moment, but I'm on leave.)

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Well I am going to be starting up a Wallpaper project. I'm just wanting to get a few things done before I get into that.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
copypasted from other topic.

To be quite honest, I don't have the first clue about garnering interest/activity in a fandom or fandom community. I think an Encyclopedia would actually be a great idea, as I see from randomly poking around LJ and such there are a lot of people still confused with elements of the Compilation. I would love to contribute in some way (doing write ups/fanart helps with my irl skills), I just don't think my knowledge is as sharp as others who post around here. Plus insecurity/laziness/lack of free time etc :monster:

Also, if members started facilitating fanwork (I think this is something suited to maybe the Clubs section or the creative section) it may garner some attention from people who are a bit more apathetic to the canon.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
ALSO COPYPASTED IN RESPONSE TO LOONEY HAR HAR

You don't actually have to be the one to rally up people and start it up (it would be nice to see more people besides the Staff do it, though), but hell, even contributing is great. An article here, fanart there, whatever.

I mean, enthusiasm's great, but if EVERYONE goes "YEAH SURE I THINK THAT'S A GREAT IDEA" and they never actually DO anything, well, what good is that? Not a personal attack on you or anything, Looney, of course.

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
I love to write essays.

Like, a lot.

You should probably give me topics/suggest topics, otherwise mine will all be about Aerith (she is so wonderful) or me bitching because Gast wasn't in Dirge of Cerberus. :monster:

Pixel

The Pixie King
lol you read my mind.

The whole ACC commentary thing is still there, waiting to be done. People have shown interest, but nothing happened.

Anyway, Ive been busy working on a little somethin somethin that'll hit soon:joy:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Just you better not take my Wallpaper project away from me!!!!!! :O

I want to create a few wallpapers myself first. That and make some headway on Dessies. Then the project will start!!!!

I love to write essays.

Like, a lot.

You should probably give me topics/suggest topics, otherwise mine will all be about Aerith (she is so wonderful) or me bitching because Gast wasn't in Dirge of Cerberus. :monster:

I don't see anything wrong with writing essays about these two topics. I think you should give it a go!

Last edited:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
HEY I GAVE TRES THOSE FFVIII SCANS I DID MY PART. :awesome: No really, though, I will help with anything I can. I don't know what I CAN do, though.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Also, the 'blame' (not that there really is any BLAME, it's just something I wanted to emphasize, hence this topic), the memberbase aren't the only ones who could take a lesson in 'get up off our collective asses', the Staff also has had issues with this very thing, and yes, we've been trying to improve. :monster:

So I don't want to come off as some sort of ivory tower fanatic. I myself have procrastinated quite a bit about doing stuff for the site, myself.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Pixel and I are working on OTWTAS audiobooks. Anyone who wants to help can talk to him about other voices, I guess.

Also, I will be doing the Commentary track at some point. Mumble, Bex, Alex, Pixel, whoever else wants to do it, give me a time you can do it, I am ready to go.

Last edited:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Pixel and I are working on OTWTAS audiobooks. Anyone who wants to help can talk to him about other voices, I guess.

Also, I will be doing the Commentary track at some point. Mumble, Bex, Alex, Pixel, whoever else wants to do it, give me a time you can do it, I am ready to go.

Still downloading ACC. then I'm game. I've yet to secure any streaming site on Alex's suggestion. Shit is not cash. :(

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
I can do it pretty much any time.

I'm willing to contribute other stuff too, like articles and shit.
It's just that you guys never asked. :monster:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I LOVE BEING POOR, HAVING NO FREE TIME AND BEING UNABLE TO GET ANY HELP FROM MY INSURANCE COMPANY. HERP DERP.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
game scripts
One of the most time consuming parts of doing the CC Keywords was that there doesn't seem to be a proper English game script online to match things up with the English game. I've had to make do with a walk-through video on YouTube, which is more time consuming to search than a text document would be. Plus some things reference optional NPC dialogue you might not find in a walk-through. So a proper script for CC would help a lot.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I can do it pretty much any time.

Same about the commentary. I just require 24 hours notice so that I can buy a headset, but once we set a date then I'll be down with that :monster:

I may be able to contribute to more things later on down the line when I'm not so busy/stressed. But I don't want to commit myself fully to saying yes knowing full well that I'm not in a position to do so right now.

Eerie

Fire and Blood

I have very little knowledge about FFVII [and nothing about the others FF, as I didn't play the games], so the only thing I can probably do is to make girly graphics [:monster:] XD I could possibly give a try at the wallpaper project, but that's about as far as I can go XD If anyone's interested in girly graphics, that is >_>

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I hope to be able to finish the image gallery this weekend, fyi. Other than that, I like to pretend I'm too busy to sort things out.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I can give some fan art (not saying it's the best! I'll improve!), fan fiction (not saying it's expert writing!), and any news tid bits I come across - albeit late. :P lol But seriously, I can contribute those things. I can't promise I'll be up to date with news and such - but I'll leave that to others to tell me, unless I have concrete proof of it's time of publication. I have a habit of coming across neat stuff every now and again.

NoenGaruth

That Guy With The Midgar Model
AKA
NoenGaruth, Stolz, Blitzwing, Ryoko Asakura, Judge Magister Gabranth, Col. Hans Landa, Itsuki Koizumi, Treize Khushrenada
I can do up some high rez wallpapers of the completed stuff from my Midgar model if you want. Then at least you'll be getting hits from the fanboys that stalk me :awesome:

I think my problem is while I'd love to write something up, I tend to stay away from over half of the compilation because I really just don't care for it. Even BC, which has so much Tseng in it you'd think I'd be fangirling all over the place, but it just doesn't interest me.

As a result, I think anything I'd write would sound like a SW fan who hates the prequels/ignores them completely.

But I will keep this in mind and if I do think of something useful I'll be sure to come back and offer it. I'd do scans if I still had my books. Or a really sexy walkthrough of the game if I still had a PS.

Top Bottom