Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Batman Arkham Asylum

Game description

Batman: Arkham Asylum

1 Player Action Game, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Publisher: Eidos

Developer: Rocksteady Sudios

Release: 2009

- Clever choice of location moves the game away from an open world Spider-Man clone and more into the dark and gritty realm of The Chronicles of Riddick.

- Packed with Batman's most dangerous archenemies Arkham Asylum boasts a brand new story reminiscent of the depth and twists of Bioshock

- Story is written by Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series, Detective Comics)

- Wildstorm is crafting the authentic yet distinct new look for all the key characters

- Gameplay places just as much focus on Batman's role as a detective as his combat prowess.

- Game isn't being rushed to tie in with any TV/Film marketing cycles.

- Game runs on Unreal Engine 3

- Most of the game is played through an over-the-shoulder perspective

- You're going to see and get to fight against all the big super villains. Seen so far. Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Zsasz, Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze and others the magazine doesn't want to spoil.

- Allies revealed so far are Commissioner Gordon who plays a big role and Barbara Gordon (aka Oracle) who is your radio contact in the game.

- Game opens with the Joker surrendering himself and subsequently taking over Arkham because of some secret the facility holds

- Magazine teases that this game will be the ultimate Batman experience so the voice cast will reflect that (Think Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill).

- Arkham was chosen as a location because of its limitations including the fact that it's an island prison. It's a persistent location so you can visit any location at anytime including Batman's secret on site Bat Cave etc. Don't think that just because this is an island prison there will only be small hallways. The developers have taken into account all the construction/destruction of the facility over the years so locals will vary.

- Eidos' Batman license includes all 70 years of comic book fiction so they're pulling from all of that.

COMBAT

- Boss Battles won't necessarily be a series of straight pugilistic fights. Each enemy represents a different side of Batman and not all of them can match his wide skill set. Some battles are focused on combat others will focus on gadgets some are similar to giant Zelda style bosses.

- Combat description in the magazine talks about Batman perched on a high ledge in a wide open room as he watches some of the Joker's thugs rifle through drawers. Batman switches to investigation mode using a blue tinted visor that among other things lets Batman see his enemies through walls and identifies things like guns and knives. One thug is carrying a machine gun so Batman jumps of the ledge, spreads his cape and kicks him in the face. He then swipes his cape in a large arc to stun his other enemies and then goes to work on them with a stylish blend of punches, kicks, a knee to the face here a behind the back elbow there. Combat has a gymnastic flourish and is accomplished using only three buttons. Attack, Stun and Throw.

- Combat is only one element of the game so the developers didn't want a bunch of button combos that you'd forget because you'll be doing other things besides fighting.

- During battle a combo multiplier at the top of the screen will increase with every strike. Once the combo expires a colony of bats will swirl around Batman and then contribute to an experience bar on the left side of the screen. In an RPG like skill tree system players will be able to distribute points where they prefer. Think Combat moves, faster takedowns, or gadget upgrades like the ability to throw multiple batarangs at the same time.

- Gadgets are revealed by collecting items in secret rooms. You'll need gadgets to survive as there are very tough enemies in the game that you can't just go head to head with (Think Killer Croc, he's 10 feet tall in the game and super tough)

- There are sections that involve sneaking but the developers call them Predatory gameplay sections as stealth tends to imply weakness, they prefer to think of it as picking off the weak people or people you wouldn't last too long in direct fight with from strong positions. The example they give in the article is Batman creating distractions with bodies and victim's yells and then stalking the guards as they go to inspect.

DETECTIVE

- Developers have come up with a very "sexy" CSI style for forensic puzzles because Batman will always have the very latest gadgets.

- Investigative mode is the centerpiece in Batman's arsenal. The visor can highlight points of interest and much like the Metroid Prime games will scan items into your database.

- They also mention another forensic gadget, a fingerprint tracker that allow Batman to follow trails of fingerprints.

OTHER

- Magazine hints at the ability to play as the villains in the game. Not sure if this is inserted directly into the game or available as a second playthrough option.

- Magazine lists a few suggested reading items. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Batman: The Last Arkham, and Arkham Asylum: Living Hell.

GRAPHICS

- Game is very gritty looking. The screens in the mag are all inside Arkham and show case a few hallways, The Riddler's cell, A sewer etc. Lots of great lighting going on.

- Character redesigns are pretty good for the most part. Joker looks like classic Joker only with Heath Ledger style make up (long drawn on red lipstick etc.) he still has a the bright purple suit and bright green hair. Definitely more sinister looking than say the TAS Joker. Killer Croc is huge and looks more like Jim Lee's Hush redesign as opposed to some of the more human renditions of him.

- Batman is in the Black and Grey costume. It looks more like armor however his gauntlets in particular look like the ones from TDK. Overall it looks very awesome.

- They show screens of fights and predator segments and all look very interesting and very Batman in scope. Lots of classic poses etc.

- You can control Batarangs from first person mode.

Preview

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3171978&p=4

Screenshots

batman-arkham-asylum-20081222092835.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20081222092831.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20081222092828.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20081222092825.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20081222092822.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20081222092819.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20081222092814.jpg

Trailers:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43466.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42998.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44909.html

Mark Hamil and Kevin Conroy have both been confirmed for the voice cast. Hopefully, more actors from the original show will sign up. Game is slated for release in August this year.

TL;DR Batman game that has a good chance of not sucking.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Re: Batman Arkham Asylum

Holy fucking shit.

Reason number 24 on why I need a fucking PS3.

I got hit with an extreme nostalgia bomb hearing Hamil and Conroy in their respective voices. This is epic, and I love the graphics and detail they've given to the setting and characters. I think I'm gonna love this game. A lot.

God that last trailer is awesome. I wanna kick some ass as Batman now :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

As long as the gameplay is good, I'll be happy. It's being written by Paul Dini, the guy who's written dozens of Batman comics, and episodes for the original series.

I hope it works out.

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer

I want to play this! It looks so amazing!

Totally different from the last Batman game I played, though: Lego Batman for the DS. But that was great in its own way.

The fourth screenshot amuses me. :monster:

Restless

That One Person
AKA
WAW

This looks great. Ah, it's time like this when I'm glad I have a PS3. Plus, my brother would probably enjoy playing this as well. Thanks for posting!

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V

This may be the game that makes me cave on not buying a next-gen console. We'll see.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man

Love the plot and intro lol. It's almost like the graphic novel A Serious House on Serious Earth.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

I already see fags on comic boards whining about her new design.

But I actually like it. Looks pretty unique while still capturing the essence of her character.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

I'm guessing she just came back from Oktoberfest? :P

No seriously, for some reason, her clothes have a Bavarian feel to me...

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA

Yeah it indeed does.

Also, a bunch a bad news follows. The Dark Knight video game has officially been cancelled. :' ( it had potential though...

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

I don't care about movie-based video games anyway.

Although Batman Returns for the SNES was fun. :P

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA

The losers at Pandemic and EA failed to make it due to no experience in Open world game plays.

lmao my only Batman game was that Batman and Robin for the PS1. Didn't even finish xDD

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

[quote author=Emperor Joker link=topic=434.msg16993#msg16993 date=1234342376]
Yeah it indeed does.

Also, a bunch a bad news follows. The Dark Knight video game has officially been cancelled. :' ( it had potential though...
[/quote]

Dude, that was canceled ages ago.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA

It was supposed to be released within this year they say. But they stopped it a few weeks or last month due to EA and Pandemic messing up.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
June or august according to people.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
This gameplay looks awesome. Guess I'll be picking this up.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
More gameplay info taken from gamesradar

Batman's counters allow him to remain the stoic calm at the eye of a storm of increasingly brutal body damage. When you're about to be attacked, a blue lightning flash will appear over the offending hood's head. Tap the counter button in time and Bats will transition smoothly from whatever he's doing into a powerful counter move, without breaking the flow of the fight for a second.

If an enemy tries to kick him in the back, he'll calmly grab their leg and snap it at the knee without even turning around. Incoming fists will be grabbed and crushed. Swinging pipes will be caught, turned on their owners and then discarded. And then he'll be straight back to the important business of making facial pate without a single moment's pause.

At first, Batman's weighty animations feel a little slow. Sluggish even. But after spending a grand total of around two minutes getting a feel for the rhythm of the combat model, you'll be on fire. Remember that bit from The Karate Kid when Daniel finally realises what "Wax on, wax off" was really all about and accelerates his movements to become a lethal block and parry machine? When you develop an instinct for reacting to incoming attacks, Arkham Asylum's combat feels exactly like that. It won't take long before you can even predict incoming violence based on enemy movements, and parry almost precognitively.

The transition from one animation to another really is so boggling to watch that it makes the whole process feel almost like viewing a pre-rendered martial arts scene. With grabs, throws, brutal takedowns and grunt-confounding overhead flips all available to drop into the mix at the simple touch of a button or two, you've got a fast and powerfully versatile set of options that could set a visceral new standard for group combat.

It's exciting, it's exhilarating, and what it lacks in gravity-defying acrobatics it more than makes up for in pure blunt force trauma. From what we've played so far, Batman's hand-to-hand could be satisfying enough to carry a whole game in itself. The single combat arena we were demoed was addictive enough that we developed an almost medical need to replay it over and over to perfect our combo ratings, resetting at the first error as if we were trying to ace an SSX stunt run. We've had terrible thumb-twitching withdrawal for it ever since.

From stealth section:

Starting in a shower block off to the side, a quick scan with the Detective Mode visor tells us that a lone grunt is patrolling nearby. Easy pickings to warm up with. Stepping into the cover of a shower cubicle, we throw a sonic batarang into a nearby pillar and wait. Sure enough, the goon shuffles in to investigate the sound, like a big ugly moth to massively painful flame.

As he unwittingly turns his back on us to check out the source of the noise, we silently step out behind him, and one crunching sleeper hold later he's out of the game. One down, four to go. The rest don't even know he's missing yet. We carefully step out into the main room and use the fast and intuitive target lock to grapple soundlessly up to a gargoyle close to the ceiling.

There's an oblivious henchman guarding a nearby gantry below. As he gets closer, we're offered the context-sensitive option of a gliding kick and we take it, swooping down to clobber him in the back of the head and disappearing back into the ceiling a second later. He's down but not out, and everyone now knows that we're here. But this a good thing. They're noticeably scared, and scared people make mistakes. They begin grouping together, but we have ways of breaking up the party. Time to really start spinning the web.

The visor tells us that one of the small treatment rooms below has a structurally weak ceiling, so we swing over to set a trap (Not just walls apparently - DrBo42), silently dropping onto the roof to lay some explosive gel. It's a good trap, but it needs bait, so we grapple further away to get a shallow throwing angle and put another sonic batarang in through the doorway. Sure enough, an unlucky goon takes the bait and breaks away from the pack to investigate. Click. Boom. He's down. But this is just layer number one of a great big cake o' pain.

Spotting a convenient gargoyle directly over the new hole in the ceiling, we get over to it and tap B to dangle upside down underneath, ready to drop on the next thug as he investigates the wreckage. Having dragged him back up into the shadows, knocked him out and strung him up under the gargoyle, we swing away for a better vantage point of our new pinata. Noticing that the increasingly shaky penultimate hood is walking over to check out where his buddy went, we're struck with an idea. Just to see if it will work, we wait for the new guy to walk underneath his stricken comrade, and throw a batarang at the rope suspending our previous victim, hoping that the game will allow us to cut him loose. Brilliantly, it does and the weighty slab of thug plummets to flatten his would-be helper. (This is where I came. - DrBo42)

With only one enemy left, we can afford to take our time. A visor scan tells us that his heart is racing, compounding the obvious visual clues that the poor guy is terrified out of his mind. Naturally, we decided to f*ck with him for a while, and spend the next couple of minutes dropping in and out of the room and throwing batarangs out of the shadows to freak him out. In his panic, he repeatedly blind-fires into dark corners of the ceiling we are no longer in. With a chuckle, we swoop in for the final takedown. Job done.

I want this game to be good so badly, it almost hurts. The confirmed alternate costumes is icing on the cake.

I'm expecting the traditional grey and black from the comics, and the Dark Knight battle suit.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
I'll be pissed off if they don't use the Nolan costumes as alternates or possible downloads.

also did they confirm any unlockable characters for play?

Top Bottom