When did Sephiroth's wing emerge?

SOLDIERis1337

Pro Adventurer
I always assumed Sephiroth never manifested any sort of wing until post Nibelheim, thanks to high amounts of mako absorption, but then in Crisis Core we see that Genesis and Angeal both have wings without having taken a 5 year bath in the northern crater. So the question here is this, do you think Sephiroth had a wing prior to Nibelheim that he kept hidden, as Angeal did before showing it to Zack and Genesis did before showing it in Banora, or was his different than the G type SOLDIERs and never had wings before becoming Safer Sephiroth?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've wondered about that myself, it added to the whole "how did Sephiroth not figure it out" bit when his friends are sprouting wings, its interesting he never tried. But with bot Angeal and Genesis they didn't show up until they knew the truth about themselves.

...And then of course there's the fact that Sephiroth never had a wing in FF7 and even the one he has as Safer is not only rigid, but takes the place of his arm. I always wondered why the song was One-Winged Angel anyway, back then, since he had 8 (nine if you count he arm).

I think Kingdom Hearts was the first appearance of his wing as we know it today.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
He just didn't get a wing until FFVII in the end. It's not shown in Crisis Core or FFVII because it never happened. It's ironic but that's just how it is.

The only time he gained a one wing like Genesis in FFVII continuity was in AC Complete.

Buster Sword

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=Dark and Divine link=topic=724.msg31921#msg31921 date=1237460882]
Technically, it was in AC, only for a few seconds though. :monster:
[/quote]Haha true

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
"Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings."

lol

Anyways, it seems it's likely that Sephiroth developed in a different way than the others (he is in fact different after all) and ergo didn't develop them until his mako bath. Or I think anywaysm, who the fuck knows with FF7's plot?

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
I think that it's all about genetics.

While Sephiroth was directly injected with Jenova cells at a very early stage and the cells became one with his original genetic makeup and were perfectly integrated into it, Genesis and Angeal received jenova cells wich were already mixed with Gillian's genes.

Sephiroth became a perfect Jenova/human hybrid and didn't suffer from degradation and the only mutations caused by Jenova's presence in him were his cat-like eyes and his silver hair.

Genesis and Angeal, however, suffered from degradation because Jenova genes were not fully integrated in their genetic structure.
And since the Jenova genes were not one with their bodies, maybe that caused some mutations in Genesis' and Angeal's bodies, causing the wings to appear.

Maybe Jenova's original form had wings, making this the reason why the mutations suffered due to its genes would cause wings to appear.

Sephiroth's wing would eventually appear after Sephiroth absorbed some Lifestream in the 5 years he was regenerating his body. The interaction of the Lifestream with Sephiroth's body caused it to mutate into Safer Sephiroth, his black wing being caused by Lifestream interacting with Jenova cells, while the rest of his body was mutated by the Spirit Energy Sephiroth absorbed.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Because it was never meant to be more than a character thematic, and not some nonsensical plot device.

:monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The wings can't be a plot device if we don't even know what they represent. All we know is that offspring of the Jenova somehow end up with wings. Which makes sense seeing as how she seems to have a fleshy pair of wings of her own.

...And you know, just about everyone in FF has wings.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
He died at Nibelheim, shortly after learning the truth. In the original FFVII, he didn't produce his wing until his Safer Sephiroth form.

However, there's a statue built into the floor in Japan's Square Enix Shop called "Sephiroth's Advent" which is based on the scene where he's in the materia crystal in the Northern Cave as his body is reforming. This version has his wing unfurled and wrapped around his body, covering him from the waist down and disguising the fact that he's missing most of his lower torso.

image4.jpg

So, I'd guess that, if they were to remake FFVII, he'd have obtained his wing at that point, as his body was piecing itself back together after dissolving in the Lifestream.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well that would be as good a time as any for him to get a wing. But yeah, in terms of the actual story, it wasn't until he was "reborn" as Safer Sephiroth that he got the black wing that replaced his left arm.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
[Safer] Sephiroth had a wing in FFVII to signify his theme of a fallen angel. It wasn't anything to do with Jenova, or tied into any subplot whatsoever.

But then George Lucas Squenix decided this character theme deserved an entire backstory of its own. :monster:

Also see: the Buster Sword.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
How do you know though that it didn't have anything to do with Jenova? I mean Safer Sephiroth *is* the result of Sephiroth being reborn through the power of Jenova and absorbing the Lifestream. As is his Bizarro (Reverse) Sephiroth form. It's not like either theory on their origin is mutually exclusive.

The wings don't really have a backstory. They're just.... there and fans just draw their own conclusions about them. I mean for all we know it could be caused by some STD SOLDIERs got from unclean Wutai women. :monster:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
More likely to be the cause of the Lifestream, than his connection to Jenova. We never see him boasting a wing before that - when he had Jenova's shape-shifting powers. The Lifestream empowers him to a demi-god status, which then kicks in the fallen angel theme.

The wings do have a backstory in CC. They're tied to the Jenova experiments, and are also used to push the script forward with some wannabe-Shakespeare.

Buster Sword

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=Masamune link=topic=724.msg32118#msg32118 date=1237494473]
[Safer] Sephiroth had a wing in FFVII to signify his theme of a fallen angel. It wasn't anything to do with Jenova, or tied into any subplot whatsoever.

But then George Lucas Squenix decided this character theme deserved an entire backstory of its own. :monster:

Also see: the Buster Sword.
[/quote]Everyone is referencing me xD

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I do think the Buster Sword is a better reference to what you're talking about, Masamune.

The actual sword, not the user. :monster:

But they never did that for the Masamune. So they obviously feel some things are better left unsaid.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
But why is that Genesis and Angeal got the wings from the experiments and Sephiroth got them from the lifestream? Where's the logic in that? Unless the lifestream inspired Sephiroth's to grow out or something, but I still think that Jenova would have had some influence, since it influenced the rest of them.

Buster Sword

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=M.I.L.F. link=topic=724.msg32262#msg32262 date=1237504401]
But why is that Genesis and Angeal got the wings from the experiments and Sephiroth got them from the lifestream? Where's the logic in that? Unless the lifestream inspired Sephiroth's to grow out or something, but I still think that Jenova would have had some influence, since it influenced the rest of them.
[/quote]
Because Nomura is a moron, and forgot to give Sephiroth a wing in Nibleheim 12 years ago. :duhard:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
[/quote]

What do you mean? Sephiroth, Genesis, and Angeal were all born from the Jenova Project. And all three of them sprouted wings just like Jenova. The only difference is when each of them got them. Genesis got his first, and Sephiroth got his last, but that still doesn't change the fact that the unifying factor regarding all three of them is coming from the Jenova Project. Who says Sephiroth's wing came from the lifestream?

Sephiroth's transformation and manifestation of his wing(s) near the end is attributed to him finally becoming one with Jenova in regards to his rebirth. What finally allowed him to regenerate and gain the new body he did at the end was due to the Reunion finally taking place and him absorbing all of the Jenova cells from the Sephiroth copies that made it to the Northern Crater while he absorbed the Lifestream. Furthermore he had Jenova's head with him as well when he fell into the Lifestream and drifted to the Crater.

After all that, not only did he gain his jet black wing, but he also got several angelic wings and a celestial rose halo to boot. I mean, if you look at it that way, Sephiroth's transformation is the most perfect in regards to him becoming closer to being an "angel".

It still all ties back into Jenova being the catalyst and means for Sephiroth to transform and become the perfect "monster" he was destined to be.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Sefiros didn't get his wings until he hit puberty. Which was never until he died.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
[quote author=Buster Sword link=topic=724.msg32267#msg32267 date=1237504862]
[/quote]
Because Nomura is a moron, and forgot to give Sephiroth a wing in Nibleheim 12 years ago. :duhard:
[/quote]

Here we go again mistaking Nomura for Nojima.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
In all fairness that was a joke. A shitty joke mind you, but still a joke.

Top Bottom