"Emo Music"?

Pixel

The Pixie King
How would you define it? Do you think its bad music, or do you listen to it without prejudice as just a nice song.

I remember when Linkin' Park first became big, they had an interesting sound and it was great for nighttime driving. But it seemed to turn into something different once teenagers started attaching themselves to this type of music, and trying to dress/act like a certain steriotype. Since then i havent touched Linkin Parks music.

I kinda want to give muse and others a chance, but i find myself tarring them with the same brush

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Linkin Park and Muse are just about the furthest example of emo music you can get rly.

Proper emo music has more in common with early punk bands like Minor Threat than that kind of thing.

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
Muse and Linkin Park aren't emo. Especially not Muse!
If you want to hear emo, listen to Hidden In Plain View or Silverstein. That's some depressing shit.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Or Rites of Spring, Sunnt Day Real Estate, The Promise Ring, Antioch Arrow, Mohinder, Heroin, Mineral and Shotmaker, who are simply amazing and in a far different league than the watered down made-for-easy-listening 'emo' bands that are abound nowadays:monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Shining, imho :monster:.

Linkin Park was singled out and used for making fun out of emos (i.e. 'I'm gonna go listen to linkin park, /wrist'), which had more of an impact than saying 'I'm gonna go listen to Hidden In Plain View! /wrist' due to it being vastly more well-known.

But that doesn't take away the fact that Linkin Park is whiny, :monster:.

Finally, I'm not known in the area of tr00 em0 music, ergo, I'll stfu.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
It was all I listened to for liek 3 months last year, was awesome. em0 is the new kvlt

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Minor Threat

I love them. :)

I don't particularly like Emo music, but it depends on what you think Emo is. The only 'new' bands I would call Emo are From First To Last, and Hawthorne Heights. (And probably a few others I don't care to bother remembering atm) Rites Of Spring sound like absolute shit (How about the band "Circle Takes The Square"? I think they're pretty crappy too. I haven't heard many Emo bands I like at all.) , but if I listen to something and like it, I'm not going to hide it. I'm willing to give any band a try, Emo or not.

I don't consider MCR, AFI, Linkin Park, etc as Emo at all.

The Emo trend is a whole different story, and I absolutely loathe it. :awesome:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Rites Of Spring sound like absolute shit (How about the band "Circle Takes The Square"? I think they're pretty crappy too. I haven't heard many Emo bands I like at all.) , but if I listen to something and like it, I'm not going to hide it. I'm willing to give any band a try, Emo or not.
Rites of Spring sound like absolute shit because the recording quality isn't exactly A+, rly the whole point of emo music was to hear the harsh emotion coming through the guys voice. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but it's certainly among the more listenable of the Emo bands (Moss Icon being the other example here) and imo better than Minor Threat. I really enjoy them but thats me. Circle Takes the Square is also really good imo, but they're more Screamo.

I don't consider MCR, AFI, Linkin Park, etc as Emo at all.
Thats because they aren't :awesomonster: Seriously, there's nothing in common with the bands that started the genre shown in the polished production of those bands. Tony might beable to help me out on this when he comes online but the only band that springs to mind thats still making traditional 'emo' music these days is Sinaloa.

Harley

rain city state of mind
Early Taking Back Sunday, The Get-Up Kids and I Hate Myself are all good examples of good emo music.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Taking Back Sunday's first album is actually really good.

Went miles downhill after that.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Haven't heard it tbh. My fundage isn't too awesome right now.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Its wierd, now that ive seen that you guys dont see linkin park as emo, i might take a listen. Shallow, aint i?:awesome:

Might take a listen to paramore after seeing Hayley's sig. I heard Decode on the twighlight soundtrack... hated the film though :P

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Paramore are rather good :3 You should also listen to Holy Roman Empire. Similar stuff but with a more punk rock flavour.

Harley

rain city state of mind
I'd also consider early Fall Out Boy and early Panic At The Disco to be good emo music as well.

:monster:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Early Fall Out Boy is actually pretty good stuff imo.

Not great by any means, but easily listenable.

Harley

rain city state of mind
I still pop in 'Take This To Your Grave' from time to time, 'From Under The Cork Tree' was a brilliant album imo.

Their last 2 efforts are quite shit though.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
'Fall Out Boy's Evening Out With Your Girlfriend' is good also :monster:

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Emo music today is more a social trend, not an actual music genre. /my2sense

also what alex said.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Moss Icon being the other example here) and imo better than Minor Threat.

I've never heard of them, so I'll have to give it a listen. :awesome: I pretty much either love it or hate it when I listen to Emo music. Usually ends in hate though, just because it sounds more irritating than anything. Like nails grating on a chalkboard kind of sound.

FOB is alright, but their fans get really crazy. <=/ Really, Pete Wentz is nothing special imhfo.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Pete Wentz needs to stop wearing childrens pants... and being a douch. Thats my only problem with Fall Out Boy

Top Bottom