This is the complete timeline of the entire Compilation of Final Fantasy VII, as provided by the FFVII 10th Anniversary Ultimania and the Crisis Core Ultimania.
[ Approximately 2000 years before FFVII ]
· Jenova crashes into the planet riding a meteor. This location becomes known as the Great Northern Crater. The Cetra gather at this location to heal the planet and are confronted by Jenova. Jenova nearly wipes out the entire Cetra race before it is defeated and sealed in a geological stratum.
[ Approximately 50 years before FFVII ]
· Vincent Valentine is born.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1959
· Red XIII is born in Cosmo Canyon.
· Cosmo Canyon is attacked by the Gi Tribe. Red XIII is given the impression that his father Seto betrayed the village people after learning that Seto had left the frontline during the midst of battle.
· ShinRa Manufacturing Works (later the ShinRa Company) discovers mako energy.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1970
· Dr. Gast becomes head of the ShinRa Science Department.
[ Approx. 30 years before FFVII ]
· Dr. Gast discovers Jenova. It is misidentified as an Ancient and the Jenova Project begins.
[ Approx. 25~30 years before FFVII ]
· Vincent worked as a member of the ShinRa Works (Later the ShinRa Company) Turks at this time. He was sent to the ShinRa Manor to act as a guard for the researchers and there he met Lucrecia. After growing close to Lucrecia, Vincent Valentine proposed to her, but she rejected him. Hojo attacks him and experiments on his body, eventually leaving him on the brink of death, and Lucrecia revived him by embedding Chaos inside of him. Thinking that the transformation of his flesh was his punishment, he went to sleep inside a coffin in the ShinRa Mansion basement.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1972
· Reeve Tuesti is born.
· Barret Wallace is born in Corel Village.
[ Starting approx. 20 years before CC ]
· Genesis is born via Jenova Project G.
· Angeal is born via Jenova Project G.
· Sephiroth is born via Jenova Project S.
· Following the birth of Genesis, unique experiments begin in the secret department beneath the ShinRa building, known as Deep Ground.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1975
· Cid Highwind is born in Rocket Town.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1976
· The city of Midgar is constructed. The ShinRa Company headquarters is relocated to Midgar.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1977
· Azul the Cerulean is born.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1980
· Dr. Gast vanishes. Hojo defeats Hollander in the power struggle for the Department of Scientific Research.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1985
· Zack Fair is born in Gongaga.
· Rosso the Crimson is born in Deep Ground.
· Aerith Gainsborough is born in Icicle Lodge. 20 days after her birth, Professor Gast is shot to death by troops led by Hojo, and she is taken into custody at the ShinRa Building with her mother, Ifalna.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1986
· Shalua Rui is born.
· Cloud Strife is born in Nibelheim.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1987
· Nero the Sable is born in Deep Ground.
· Tifa Lockhart is born in Nibelheim.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1991
· Shelke Rui is born.
· Yuffie Kisaragi is born in Wutai.
[ Starting approx. 8 years before CC ]
· The Wutai War begins. Active as a SOLDIER 1st Class, Sephiroth becomes famous as a decorated hero.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1992
· Aerith escapes from the ShinRa building with her mother, but Ifalna dies at the Sector Seven train station. Elmyra takes her in and raises Aerith as her adopted daughter.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1995
· Grieving over her mother’s death, Tifa climbs Mt. Nibel. In the process, she fell from a suspension bridge along with Cloud, who had been running after her. Suffering severe injuries, she was in a coma for 7 days. Cloud miraculously suffers only minor injuries.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1997
· Determined to be a SOLDIER, Zack leaves Gongaga and heads off towards Midgar.
· Tseng, a young member of the Turks, makes a name for himself by uncovering a group of smugglers selling ShinRa weapons on the black market while working on the case of a kidnapped trooper.
[ μ ] – εуλ 1999
· The Legendary Turk is put under house arrest in Costa del Sol for abandoning his mission to rescue a kidnapped weapons trader.
[ μ ] – εуλ 0000
· Shelke Rui is kidnapped by the Turks and taken to Deep Ground and made a DG SOLDIER. Shalua Rui dedicates her entire life to finding her and joins AVALANCHE to get information on the missing SOLDIER candidates.
· Genesis is injured in the training room. While being treated by Hollander, he learns about his birth and the secrets of his body, and seeking to remedy his deterioration, allies himself with Hollander.
· Lazard is contacted by Hollander, and agrees to plan to rebel against ShinRa. Funding begins.
· Genesis, who had been dispatched to Wutai, escapes with a multitude of 2nd and 3rd Class SOLDIERs (Mass SOLDIER Desertion Incident).
· Hollander steals classified documents from the Department of Scientific Research and disappears.
· Zack spent all his time on training and various missions as a SOLDIER 2nd Class at this time.
· SOLDIER: 2nd Class Zack and Angeal are sent to Wutai in place of Genesis. Zack Fair encounters Yuffie Kisaragi for the first time here. While taking part in operations in Wutai to bring an end to the war, Sephiroth joins up with Zack as well. Angeal goes missing.
· Rufus ShinRa assumes the position of Vice President. He leaves on a long-term business trip at this time.
· Zack and Tseng go to Banora village. Genesis had converted Banora village into a stronghold for his army, and the evidence is destroyed by an airstrike at the hands of ShinRa.
· Tifa meets with Cloud at the Water Tower he had called her out to. She received the promise that he would “save her when she was in a pinch” from Cloud, who had said that he wanted to become a SOLDIER.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0001
· Verdot contacts the Legendary Turk regarding a new threat that may arise in the aftermath of the war.
· The Wutai War ends.
· The Wutai-based anti-ShinRa organization, AVALANCHE, intensifies its terrorist activities. Receiving a request to mobilize from President ShinRa, Sephiroth eliminates the members of AVALANCHE who had seized the Mako Cannon in Junon. He crosses swords with Elfe, the enemy leader.
· Angeal and Genesis are officially announced as being killed in action.
· Azul is recruited by the Turks for SOLDIER. He is taken to Deep Ground and made a DG SOLDIER.
· Zack is promoted to SOLDIER 1st Class. On the same day, Genesis invades Midgar with his copy army.
· Cissnei of the Turks undertakes a top secret assignment to keep Zack under surveillance.
· Zack and Aerith meet by chance in a church in the Slums. They become intimate with each other.
· Cloud Strife is assigned to protect Professor Rayleigh and works together with the Turks. In a raid by AVALANCHE, secret data on SOLDIER was stolen.
· Zack goes on an investigative mission to the abandoned Mako Mining Facility in Modeoheim, where he meets Cloud. The two become friends.
· After fighting Genesis and Angeal, Zack inherits the Buster Sword from his dying master.
· Hollander is detained in ShinRa’s Junon branch office.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0002
· A SOLDIER force including Zack is dispatched to destroy an AVALANCHE base in Icicle Lodge. Zack attends to his fellow SOLDIER comrades, Sebastian and Essai, as their death approached. With the exception of Zack and the Turks, every member of the unit is annihilated.
· Verdot and the Legendary Turk halt another of AVALANCHE’s attempt to attack Junon.
· Lazard disappears, believing that it’s only a matter of time before his secret communications with Hollander are exposed.
· Zack is ordered on a vacation to Costa del Sol.
· Junon and several other places are repeatedly troubled by an outbreak of synchronized attacks from the Genesis Copy Army. Zack fights in the battle to protect the city, and bis reunited with Cloud, who had been tasked to rescue the citizens.
· Hojo is kidnapped from the ShinRa Building by AVALANCHE. In a single stroke Sephiroth cuts down the helicopter stolen by the old AVALANCHE from the ShinRa Building, and brought back Hojo who was almost taken away by them.
· Lazard and Hollander are officially announced as being killed in action.
· Genesis and his army begin raiding mako reactors in various locations in search of the Jenova cells.
· Zack, Sephiroth, and Cloud visit the Nibel mako reactor as part of an investigation team, due to a monster outbreak causing a malfunction. Tifa Lockhart undertakes the role of “guide” for the investigation group. Seeing the monsters that were created inside the mako reactor caused Sephiroth to doubt his own birth and humanity.
· Sephiroth locks himself up in the ShinRa Manor and reads over the documents left by Professor Gast, where he discovers that he was created by the Jenova Project.
· The Nibelheim Incident begins. Zack Fair tries to stop Sephiroth, who has run amok and reduced the village of Nibelheim to ashes, but was instead defeated by him at the Nibelheim Mako Reactor. Sephiroth takes the head of his “mother” Jenova but was fatally wounded by Cloud and falls into the mako reactor, and for a time was dead.
· Zack and Cloud are taken as experiment samples for the Sephiroth Copy Project.
· Sephiroth, Zack, and the other Nibelheim investigation team members are officially announced as being killed in action.
· Sephiroth’s body drifts to the Northern Crater. It absorbs knowledge from the Lifestream, and with the power of the head of Jenova and his own will, Sephiroth begins to create a new body.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0003
· Cid had been planned to go into space aboard the ShinRa 26 rocket in Rocket Town, but to save Sierra’s life he performed an emergency shutdown and aborted the launch.
· Barret Wallace guides the Turks in North Corel, who had come to expel the anti-ShinRa organization (Old AVALANCHE), while the Mako Reactor was in the midst of construction. Corel is then razed by ShinRa, who had blamed the villagers for the explosion that occurred at the Mako Reactor. Barret manages to rescue Marlene, the daughter of his good friend Dyne, from the ruins of the fire.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0006
· Red XIII is captured by the Turks as an endangered species, and was handled as a sample at the ShinRa building after the ritual to appease the planet had been finished. Red XIII had guided the Turks, who had arrived to expel the anti-ShinRa organization (old AVALANCHE), while the Mako Reactor was in the midst of construction.
· Zack takes the mako poisoned Cloud and escapes from the ShinRa Manor.
· Vincent Valentine is reunited with his former colleague Verdot in the ShinRa Manor. A Support Materia for the Zirconaide summon was hidden inside the ShinRa Manor and he knew of its existence. He gives it to Verdot.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0007
· Zack settles things with Genesis in the Banora village underground.
· Genesis is taken to Deep Ground by Nero and Weiss. He begins his “sleep” beneath Midgar.
End of September
· Zack is killed in the wastelands on the outskirts of Midgar. Cloud inherits the Buster Sword and heads toward Midgar.
· The Turks defeat Fuhito and Zirconaide. The leader of AVALANCHE is “assassinated”.
· Due to the destruction of Zirconaide, an imbalance in the planet’s ecology is created and the Jade Weapon awakens. It pursues the renegade Turks, judging them as threats to the planet.
· Tifa is reunited with Cloud again at the Sector 7 Slum Station. However, feeling that his speech and conduct were strange, she invited him into AVALANCHE so that she could keep an eye on his condition for a while.
· The renegade Turks destroy the Jade Weapon.
· FFVII Begins
Cloud and the reformed AVALANCHE bomb Mako Reactor 1. On his return to Sector 7, Cloud meets Aerith for the first time in Sector 8.
· Aerith meets with Cloud again when he falls through the roof of the Sector 5 slum church.
· The Sector 7 plate is destroyed by ShinRa in efforts to crush the new AVALANCHE. The plate drops, destroying the Sector 7 slums. Many lives are lost. Aerith is kidnapped by ShinRa and taken to the ShinRa Building.
· Cloud and the others are captured attempting to rescue Aerith from the ShinRa Building.
· Sephiroth in the Northern Crater calls for the “Reunion” to Jenova in the ShinRa Building, and the Sephiroth Copies around the world begin to move as well.
· Upon heeding the call of the Reunion, the headless form of Jenova contained in the ShinRa Building awakened. It took the form of Sephiroth, murdered President ShinRa, and left the city. Cloud and the others escape Midgar in the confusion and pursue Sephiroth. Rufus is made President of the ShinRa Company.
· Red XIII met Cloud’s party at Hojo’s laboratory and escaped from the ShinRa Building with them. He planned to travel with them until they reached his hometown of Cosmo Canyon. Red XIII later fulfills his promise to return to his hometown in the midst of the journey with Cloud. Here he learns the truth concerning his father, and his resolve to continue the journey is strengthened.
· Yuffie joins Cloud’s party, with an eye on the group’s materia.
· The body of Jenova kills numerous ShinRa troops in Junon, and infiltrates the Cargo Ship from the harbor. It confronted Cloud’s team in the ship’s hold, and after transforming its arm into Jenova BIRTH, it attacked.
· Barret is reunited with Dyne, who was once his close friend. Defeating Dyne at the end of their unwanted duel, he was entrusted with Marlene once more.
· When Cloud and company visit the ShinRa Manor and catch Vincent up on the current affairs, he chose to join the group to meet up with Hojo and Sephiroth.
· While staying in the town doing nothing as he waited for the space program to restart, Cid encountered Cloud’s group who opposed ShinRa, and joined them.
· Snatching the Materia off Cloud’s party and fleeing, Yuffie is caught by Don Corneo. She reconciled with Cloud’s group after they had saved her. Yuffie takes part in the trial at the Pagoda of the 5 Mighty Saints, and defeats her father on the topmost floor. After getting him to listen to her true intentions, Yuffie sets off with renewed determination on her journey with Cloud’s party.
· Jenova Infiltrates the Temple of the Ancients after Tseng opened the door. Attacks Tseng and manipulates Cloud to obtain the Black Materia.
· Aerith sends her prayer for Holy to the Planet at the Forgotten Capital, and immediately afterwards loses her life at the hands of Jenova in the form of Sephiroth.
· Cloud attempts to settle things with Sephiroth at the Northern Crater, but upon listening to his speech, Cloud’s self-image collapsed. Entrusted with the black materia from Cloud, Red XIII was tricked by Jenova who had mimicked Tifa. Red XIII hands over the Black Materia to Cloud, who in turn hands over the Black Materia to Sephiroth. Sephiroth receives the Black Materia by manipulating Cloud as a Sephiroth Copy, and summons Meteor. The Weapons are awakened and begin to attack human settlements. Cloud falls into the Lifestream and goes missing. The Meteor Crisis begins.
· Barret and Tifa were to undergo execution as criminals who had summoned Meteor, but they manage to escape through the guidance of Cait Sith, Yuffie and the others.
· With the assistance of the crew, Cid takes back the Highwind, ShinRa’s airship, which he had once owned.
· Tifa is reunited with Cloud in Mideel, who had been poisoned by mako. She separates from her companions in order to nurse him. Following Cloud and Tifa leaving the team, Cid takes over as the acting leader in the fight for the Huge Materia.
· Tifa falls into the Lifestream with Cloud. She finds out about the truth of 5 years ago in Cloud’s spirit world and helps him regain his true self.
· Red XIII visits Cosmo Canyon prior to the final decisive battle, and he attends to Bugenhagen as he was dying. Bugenhagen dies.
· Vincent confronts his fated opponent, Hojo, on the Mako Cannon in Midgar. He angrily issued a death threat to Hojo.
· Deep below Midgar, Weiss the Immaculate with the help of the other Tsviets, successfully orchestrates a rebellion against the Restrictors and takes control of Deep Ground. The Deep Ground SOLDIERs swear their loyalty to Weiss.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0008
Last Third of January
· FFVII Ends
With his body now completely restored, Sephiroth tries to finalize Meteor’s summoning. However, Cloud and the others prevent Sephiroth’s ambitions and defeat him in the Northern Cave, and save the planet from Meteor. Sephiroth is absorbed into the Lifestream but his consciousness does not diffuse, and he continues to harbor hostility towards the planet. Geostigma begins.
· After defeating Sephiroth in the Norther Cave with Cloud and the others, Vincent and Yuffie work together to evacuate people during Meteorfall. During this, although Vincent thought he caught a flicker of life in Hojo, he lost sight of him.
· After traveling to several places with Cloud and Barret, Tifa opens the bar Seventh Heaven in Edge on the advice of those around her. She was given custody of Marlene from Barret, who had left on a journey to find a new energy source. Together with Cloud, the 3 of them began living together as a family.
· While searching for provisions for the bar Seventh Heaven, more and more people begin to ask Cloud to make deliveries for them, so Cloud sets up the Strife Delivery Service.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0009
· Cloud brings Denzel back from the slum’s church and Denzel joins Cloud’s family.
· Because he contracted Geostigma, Cloud left Tifa and the children, and began living in the Slum church.
· Cloud is attacked by Kadaj’s gang on his way to see Rufus, but still refuses Rufus’ request to become his bodyguard.
· Vincent protected Cloud from Kadaj and his brothers when their fight got tough. He passed on the information about the connection between the trio and Geostigma on to Cloud.
· With the new Sierra airship in Cid’s command, Barret, Yuffie, Red XIII, Cait Sith, and Vincent rush to Cloud’s aid in Edge to stop Bahamut SHIN.
· With the help of his friends, Cloud defeats Bahamut SHIN, which Kadaj’s gang had summoned.
· Sephiroth calls for the Reunion through his remnants, and causes the remnants to obtain their ‘mother’, and uses her power to return to life. Cloud defeats Sephiroth after his advent once again.
· Aerith lends her power to the people suffering from Geostigma in Edge, and personally provides for Cloud’s recovery. Geostigma is cured. Cloud returns to Tifa and the children.
[ ν ] – εуλ 0010
· At the behest of Reeve Tuesti, Cid joins the WRO airship fleet.
· The Deep Ground SOLDIERs begin their offensive by kidnapping 1200 civilians from Junon and sacrificing them to revive Omega.
· On his way to rendezvous with Reeve, Vincent helps to stop a DG SOLDIER attack on the Kalm revival festival. Vincent then cooperates with the WRO (World Restoration Organization) in order to halt the objectives of Deep Ground and keep the Planet from being destroyed.
· Vincent learns about his connection to Chaos and Omega during his investigation of the ShinRa Mansion. When Rosso drew the Ancient Materia (i.e. Protomateria) from his body, he was gravely wounded and Yuffie rescued him.
· With his old friends Cloud rushes to Vincent’s aid, and battles the DG forces in the battle over Midgar.
· When the ultimate lifeform Omega arose from Weiss’ body, Vincent Valentine defeats it, and Chaos was freed from his own body to return to the cosmos.
· Following the resolution of the DG-related threat, Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Red XIII, Yuffie, Cid, Reeve and Shelke return to Seventh Heaven in Edge to rest. Vincent is eventually found and returns as well.
· Genesis awakens in an underground cavern beneath Midgar.
[ 500 Years after FFVII ]
· Running up the rocky mountains accompanied by his children, Red XIII watches over the Midgar covered by greenery.