• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't really know of anyone who follows YGO here, but.. I thought I'd make this thread nonetheless. :monster:

Super_Fusion_movie_poster.jpg

YGO's 10th Anniversary has arrived, and in celebration of it, a crossover OVA has been announced that unites the main protagonists of YGO, YGO GX, and YGO 5Ds in an OVA movie. A preview was shown at the previous Jump Festa, and it'll be released January 23, 2010 in Japan. No word of any release in the US. The story is...

Yusei Fudo, protector of New Domino City through Turbo Dueling with Jack Atlas and Crow, has his ace monster, "Stardust Dragon", stolen by a mysterious man named Paradox, a duelist from the far future sent into the past to lead the world into destruction. After falling into a time-slip, Yusei meets Judai Yuki, who still has the powers of Yubel & The Supreme King. Judai explains to Yusei Paradox's true intentions: To kill Maximillion Pegasus before he can recreate Duel Monsters in the modern world throwing the timeline into chaos. The two agree to pursue Paradox, which leads them to the past and causes a meeting with the King of Games himself, Yugi Muto. After explaining everything to Yugi, he agrees to fight with Yusei & Jaden against Paradox in the ultimate 3-on-1 duel to save both the world and Yusei's Stardust Dragon from Paradox before time runs out.

And...here's a trailer.

So yeah, thoughts, comments, etc? :monster:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Only that this is going to be cracktastic. :monster:

I wonder if any other DM/GX characters will play a part in this. And not be like a 3 minute cameo. XD

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well aside from the obvious appearance of Jack Atlas, and Crow, we've got Yubel, Pharaoh, and Daitokuji-sensei appearing as well.

Don't know of any cameos from the original YGO series though.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Well, having Pharaoh and Yubel in the movie is a given. XD

....Where was Daitokuji-sensei again?

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I followed the original Yugioh. GX killed it for me with its horrible storytelling and the worst protagonist of any franchise I've ever been involved in. I've never watched 5D's, the motorbike thing is stupid, but the mythology tie-ins sound promising.

This will suck, it really will. It's just fanservice plain and simple, GX ended with Jaden being sent back in time to duel Yugi but apparently that wasn't enough so now they have to make it into a movie and include that new guy. This is just a sign that the franchise is dead, they have to try and include Yugi in it again to drum up interest. They've alienated their fans so much they have to bend time and get Yugi back to keep themselves alive.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
There were some screenshots released that showed him in it.

Here it is.

4192231091_49bb18b8c3_o.jpg

And some others :monster:

4192231485_04ac256633_o.jpg

4192231399_2be26eb99f_o.jpg

4192992972_19334617d6_o.jpg

4192993480_e013dd5cf5_o.jpg

4192993748_0445f6c924_o.jpg

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I followed the original Yugioh. GX killed it for me with its horrible storytelling and the worst protagonist of any franchise I've ever been involved in. I've never watched 5D's, the motorbike thing is stupid, but the mythology tie-ins sound promising.

This will suck, it really will. It's just fanservice plain and simple, GX ended with Jaden being sent back in time to duel Yugi but apparently that wasn't enough so now they have to make it into a movie and include that new guy. This is just a sign that the franchise is dead, they have to try and include Yugi in it again to drum up interest. They've alienated their fans so much they have to bend time and get Yugi back to keep themselves alive.

Well aren't you just the Negative Nancy? :kermit:

To be honest, I think that criticism is not only unfounded, but seriously wrong. There wouldn't be a 10th Anniversary for YGO had there been no GX or 5Ds, and while I prefer the original series by a long shot, the fact remains that those two franchises kept the torch of YGO up and alive once the original series ended. And GX and 5Ds has its good points as well.

YGO is far from dead, and the fact it hit Guiness in terms of being the most sold and produced card game franchise in the world, speaks volumes. Its very much alive and kicking.

FYI, the last duel of GX between Yugi and Judai ended with Yugi winning, if you caught the subtle clues regarding the rules and Judai suiciding Neos into Osiris. There was no way he could've won. It was a neat duel between the two. Don't know why you hate it so much.

The reason Yugi's in it is because he's the original Duel King. Why wouldn't he be in a movie to celebrate the 10th Anniversary? That'd be like celebrating the 10th Anniversary of FFVII without Cloud. :monster:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Oooooh so he wasn't in the trailer then?

Ohohohohoho Is that BEWD and REBD I see there? Does this mean that Kaiba and Jou get to make an appearance?

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
FYI, the last duel of GX between Yugi and Judai ended with Yugi winning, if you caught the subtle clues regarding the rules and Judai suiciding Neos into Osiris. There was no way he could've won. It was a neat duel between the two. Don't know why you hate it so much.

Because it was blatant fanservice, for no reason or explanation, Jaden is sent back in time yen years to duel Yugi. And yes he gets his ass kicked as right he should, but still.

My negativity can be directly blamed on Jaden. He was the one thing that killed my love for Yugioh, GX *could* have been good if it didn't center on him, but it did and Jaden dragged it into the gutter. He's an idiotic, clueless, brainless, talentless fool who has the entire GX series focus on him. Other characters never got the development they should have because Jaden was always hogging the spotlight.

And yes, GX *did* have its good points - Season 2 with Sartorious is my favorite, the Tarot references were great. I also liked Zane and Aster (badass), and Alexis (sexy). I actually had a GX fanfic with the three of them, but that was years ago and I never got around to finishing it.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Oooooh so he wasn't in the trailer then?

Ohohohohoho Is that BEWD and REBD I see there? Does this mean that Kaiba and Jou get to make an appearance?

Not really a spoiler, since they've been featuring these monsters in every episode of 5Ds since the announcement. :monster:

The villain Paradox, apparently uses a deck of corrupted monsters called "Sin" monsters. They're all dragons. Corrupted versions of monsters used by friends and rivals of the three main characters.

So far there's Sin Blue Eyes White Dragon, Sin Red Eyes White Dragon, Sin Stardust Dragon, Sin Cyber End Dragon, and Sin Rainbow Dragon.

Sin Blue Eyes, Sin Red Eyes, and Sin Stardust have all been slated for production into real cards. The others will more than likely follow suit.

Because it was blatant fanservice, for no reason or explanation, Jaden is sent back in time yen years to duel Yugi. And yes he gets his ass kicked as right he should, but still.

...And YGO has never been about blatant fanservice?

My negativity can be directly blamed on Jaden. He was the one thing that killed my love for Yugioh, GX *could* have been good if it didn't center on him, but it did and Jaden dragged it into the gutter. He's an idiotic, clueless, brainless, talentless fool who has the entire GX series focus on him. Other characters never got the development they should have because Jaden was always hogging the spotlight.

You know, others could say the same about Jounouchi. The two are kinda alike in some ways. :monster:

But honestly, I understand your criticism, I actually thought the same thing for awhile. But he goes through some interesting character development season 3, and is quite badass in season 4.

I agree GX didn't nearly focus on the development of other characters. That was its pitfall as an anime sadly. It didn't nearly have as much character development like the original series did. 5Ds learned from that mistake thankfully.

And yes, GX *did* have its good points - Season 2 with Sartorious is my favorite, the Tarot references were great. I also liked Zane and Aster (badass), and Alexis (sexy). I actually had a GX fanfic with the three of them, but that was years ago and I never got around to finishing it.

At least you're able to tell good characters from GX when you see them :awesome:

I totally agree. Season 2 is one of my favorites. It's a toss up between 2 or 3 for me. I loved Sartorious as well. Edo/Aster Phoenix and Hell Kaiser are one of my favs too.

And wow, you wrote GX fan fiction. Awesome.

Last edited:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Not really a spoiler, since they've been featuring these monsters in every episode of 5Ds since the announcement. :monster:

To be honest, I haven't been watching the past few weeks/months since the subbing group I follow went on a hiatus and the youtube channel I watch for speedsubs got suspended.

...Man, this is going to be a bitch to catch up on. I don't even remember where I left off. XD

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
To be honest, I haven't been watching the past few weeks/months since the subbing group I follow went on a hiatus and the youtube channel I watch for speedsubs got suspended.

...Man, this is going to be a bitch to catch up on. I don't even remember where I left off. XD

You were watching season 2, last time I remembered.

Barring some bum fuckery regarding the ending and the final duel, the second season of 5Ds ended quite well, and the Dark Signer arc was rather cool. :monster:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
...And YGO has never been about blatant fanservice?

Touche

You know, others could say the same about Jounouchi. The two are kinda alike in some ways. :monster:
Yes, but there's two key differences - first, Jounouchi/Joey had a deeper character at the core than dueling for fun, he dueled for Serenity, to prove himself a true duelist to Yugi, to save Mai, etc. Jaden just dueled for fun. And also, Jounouchi was a sidekick, not the main character. He knew when it was his time to be the hero and when it was time to step aside and let other characters have the stage.

And yeah, I've never seen the Supreme King episodes but it does sound like they redeemed him at last. But it was two-three seasons too late to salvage my interest.

At least you're able to tell good characters from GX when you see them :awesome:

I totally agree. Season 2 is one of my favorites. It's a toss up between 2 or 3 for me. I loved Sartorious as well. Edo/Aster Phoenix and Hell Kaiser are one of my favs too.

And wow, you wrote GX fan fiction. Awesome.
Only one and I never finished it. I was really into the original series, all kinds of fanfics with it, including a trilogy that focuses on Tea (I know a lot of people hate her, I liked her).

As a note too, I have one problem with Zane - what happened between Seasons 2 and 3? In Season 3, IIRC he was more or less back to his normal self. In Season 2 he had pretty much forsaken Cyber Dragon and become a cruel sadist, Season 3, "yeah I'm out of the sadism phase, and CD and I are cool". What happened?

Also, have you ever read the GX manga? I know Alexis was, shall we say mature, in the anime (I'll be honest, that's why I like her :monster:), but in the manga...You know those jokes about Tifa's being the size of her head? That's Alexis in the manga.

Last edited:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
You were watching season 2, last time I remembered.

Barring some bum fuckery regarding the ending and the final duel, the second season of 5Ds ended quite well, and the Dark Signer arc was rather cool. :monster:
Actually, I think I'm past that. The last I distinctly remember is
Yusei getting kidnapped and Aki having a massive girl-crush on some blonde duelist chick
:monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yes, but there's two key differences - first, Jounouchi/Joey had a deeper character at the core than dueling for fun, he dueled for Serenity, to prove himself a true duelist to Yugi, to save Mai, etc. Jaden just dueled for fun. And also, Jounouchi was a sidekick, not the main character. He knew when it was his time to be the hero and when it was time to step aside and let other characters have the stage.

True, and that's a flaw they correct in the YGO GX manga, I'd say. He isn't just an idiot savant duelist who just plays for fun, and is kinda a slacker. He's dueling to prove himself and keep the memory of his mentor, Kyo Hibiki alive, using his deck. It's really quite cool. I certainly think the manga fixes some of the problems the anime had. But it doesn't include Yubel, and that makes me sad.

And yeah, I've never seen the Supreme King episodes but it does sound like they redeemed him at last. But it was two-three seasons too late to salvage my interest.

Well one day when you're bored you should check it out. It's certainly quite interesting. Although Supreme King Judai is...well...its rather jarring seeing him go from happy go lucky kid, to...extremely serious and blood thirsty ruler/killer. It's...strange.

Only one and I never finished it. I was really into the original series, all kinds of fanfics with it, including a trilogy that focuses on Tea (I know a lot of people hate her, I liked her).

Yeah, I never got the hate Anzu/Tea would get. I liked her. I'm a big fan of the original anime and manga. But the other series are fun in and of themselves if you remember they're spinoff sequels and aren't of the same level as the original written by Takahashi.

Also, have you ever read the GX manga? I know Alexis was, shall we say mature, in the anime (I'll be honest, that's why I like her :monster:), but in the manga...You know those jokes about Tifa's being the size of her head? That's Alexis in the manga.

I love the GX manga, and its definitely more in the vein of the original YGO series in terms of its character development, and focus on mythology. Specifically, Ancient Egypt. So I love it to pieces. The plot's just awesome, as is the reimagining of the characters.

And yeah, Alexis is fucking hot, and a much better duelist this time around.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Damn...Yu-Gi-Oh's 10 years old? ...I am getting old.

It is a good idea. Unfortunately Yugi/Atem is(are?) the only main character any cares about. Anyone I've ever met, anyway. I guess that's not necessarily an "unfortunately" as long as Yugi and the Pharoah get the most screen time ^_^

Altough...Atem can't show up at all, can he? The Millenium items are gone. Well then just Yugi then :P

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
True, and that's a flaw they correct in the YGO GX manga, I'd say. He isn't just an idiot savant duelist who just plays for fun, and is kinda a slacker. He's dueling to prove himself and keep the memory of his mentor, Kyo Hibiki alive, using his deck. It's really quite cool. I certainly think the manga fixes some of the problems the anime had. But it doesn't include Yubel, and that makes me sad.

I've read the manga up to where....is it Chazz that gets to duel Zane? And yeah, they redeemed Jaden a lot in the manga.

Yeah, I never got the hate Anzu/Tea would get. I liked her.
I mostly like her because of that lone DDR scene *wink*. But yeah, Tea was cool, she was preachy in the dub but in the original series she was a lot cooler. I basically take her and, through the trilogy, turn her into a master duelist - essentially Yugi's female counterpart, in more ways then one, complete with a female Kaiba-Bakura fusion to oppose her. Ah....good times.

I love the GX manga, and its definitely more in the vein of the original YGO series in terms of its character development, and focus on mythology. Specifically, Ancient Egypt. So I love it to pieces. The plot's just awesome, as is the reimagining of the characters.
Agreed, that's another thing I didn't like in GX, they left behind the Egyptian roots. They had a good thing going with the Legendary Demons (they are not Sacred dumbass dub, they're evil demon counterparts to the Gods!) and the Shadow Riders, and Season 2's tarot was good. But the series has its root in ancient mythos, that's why 5D's intrigues me, I hear it involves the Nazca Lines which is a good sign. I'm temped to check it out someday...

Last edited:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Wow, so you're in season 3? :monster:
As I affectionately call it: Filler Season.
Tell me, does anything plot important or of interest happen later on?

It is a good idea. Unfortunately Yugi/Atem is(are?) the only main character any cares about. Anyone I've ever met, anyway. I guess that's not necessarily an "unfortunately" as long as Yugi and the Pharoah get the most screen time ^_^

Altough...Atem can't show up at all, can he? The Millenium items are gone. Well then just Yugi then :P
Nah, Yugi's still sporting the Millennium Puzzle:

4045364679_5f47893886_o.jpg

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Ah so its ignoring continuity in favor of ultimate fanservice. (Which is fine)

I really wish they had continued with those Yu-gi-oh Uncut DVDs. They only released 3 of them and then stopped due to lack of sales. But the lack of sales was due to each DVD costing $25 for THREE EPISODES. It left all the swearing and violence and mythology and references to, you know, death just in English. What few they had looked pretty neat.
Because honestly, although 4Kids absolutely mutilated this show, I know there were three occasions where the localization was better in the first season. All of them due to the same thing.
1. Yugi's conversation with Pegasus during their video-cassette duel. In Japanese it's just rather...quiet and not exciting at all. In English there is much more threatening and taunting.

2. My single favorite part of the show and something I really didn't like that they seemed to just forget. The first time Yugi really makes a display of power, after he beats that Kaiba "ghost" and limit breaks. He communicates with Pegasus and looks all badass with the third eye and all. Well in Japanese, he pretty much says "I'll get you you big jerk." But in English he really tears into him verbally. I was so disappointed when I watched that episode in Japanese as I was expecting it to be even better.
yugioh_opening04272002_60.jpg

Hell yeah. WHY did he never do anything like this again? :rage:

3. Pretty surprising as the rest of the episode was absolutely butchered in English. But the episode where Kaiba tries to commit suicide. I'm sorry, I mean the episode when Kaiba placed himself in position in which the resulting holographic explosion from a sword strike that wouldn't even actually destroy his monster might push him off.......:huh:
Anyway, afterwards when Anzu/Téa goes off on him, it's again the same thing. In Japanese she says some crap about Yugi not losing his "Heart Card" or something. But in English it was like the only time I liked her. "What do you have, Seto Kaiba? What do you have at the end of the day?!"

But alas...the uncuts were overpriced and thus, never continued.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

I felt the same fucking way, omg.

LOL, well I've kept up with all three series so I care about all of them, but Yugi/Atem is the one I love most, of course.

Naw, this is taking place before the Ceremonial Duel, so Atem's still squatting in Yugi's head. :wacky:

DrakeClawfang said:
I've read the manga up to where....is it Chazz that gets to duel Zane? And yeah, they redeemed Jaden a lot in the manga.

The manga seriously redeemed Judai and hell, the whole series.

The fact they had Judai lose legitimately to Chazz and have it serve as a lesson was pretty ballsy and well done. That was a good duel.

And it was hilarious how Zane curbstomped Chazz in the end. :monster:

I mostly like her because of that lone DDR scene *wink*. But yeah, Tea was cool, she was preachy in the dub but in the original series she was a lot cooler. I basically take her and, through the trilogy, turn her into a master duelist - essentially Yugi's female counterpart, in more ways then one, complete with a female Kaiba-Bakura fusion to oppose her. Ah....good times.

LOL, you perv.

Interesting idea there. I always thought she could be a good duelist, had she wanted to.

But that's one of the things I loved about the original series. It wasn't afraid to have main characters who didn't duel. It wasn't just about the shiny cards (although they were pretty damn shiny) it was about the people, and their character growth. Honda was badass and he fucking sucked at the game. :monster:

The sequels and stuff seem to really put the card game first. I mean, I love 5Ds to death, but its degenerated into the whole "Duel of the Week" premise that plagued GX during its weak episode runs.

Agreed, that's another thing I didn't like in GX, they left behind the Egyptian roots. They had a good thing going with the Legendary Demons (they are not Sacred dumbass dub, they're evil demon counterparts to the Gods!) and the Shadow Riders, and Season 2's tarot was good. But the series has its root in ancient mythos, that's why 5D's intrigues me, I hear it involves the Nazca Lines which is a good sign. I'm temped to check it out someday...

Dude, then you need to watch 5Ds, right fucking now. The Incan, Peruvian mythology is surprisingly well done and interesting. I love it.

Btw Drake, since you're such a fan of the old series, did you hear about the YGO Anniversary pack that was done for YGO's 10th Anniversary as well? It was a special pack that contained redone artwork for some of the memorable cards of the first YGO series done by Takahashi himself. And he also did a new Dark Magician.

And....they released a playable version of Egyptian God Card, Obelisk the Tormentor.

The only sad thing about the US release of the Anniversary Pack is that they excluded the Dark Magician Girl, because apparently Takahashi's pose was too suggestive, and he refused to re-do it and have it edited. :monster:

Climhazzard said:
As I affectionately call it: Filler Season.
Tell me, does anything plot important or of interest happen later on?

Um....There are some new Yilaster villains who are pretty important. I haven't been paying attention much to filler season either :monster:

I'm going to look at it later once the plot starts going somewhere.

But I will say this. Kiryu comes back. And I know that arc will amuse you :monster:

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Ah so its ignoring continuity in favor of ultimate fanservice. (Which is fine)

LOL pretty much. It's what happens when you time travel.

I really wish they had continued with those Yu-gi-oh Uncut DVDs. They only released 3 of them and then stopped due to lack of sales. But the lack of sales was due to each DVD costing $25 for THREE EPISODES. It left all the swearing and violence and mythology and references to, you know, death just in English. What few they had looked pretty neat.
Because honestly, although 4Kids absolutely mutilated this show, I know there were three occasions where the localization was better in the first season. All of them due to the same thing.

Agreed. I really wish they had kept that up. But you know 4Kids's motto:

If it generates money and positive feedback from fans, DON'T DO IT.

1. Yugi's conversation with Pegasus during their video-cassette duel. In Japanese it's just rather...quiet and not exciting at all. In English there is much more threatening and taunting.

Yeah. Sometimes silence is a lot more appropriate.

2. My single favorite part of the show and something I really didn't like that they seemed to just forget. The first time Yugi really makes a display of power, after he beats that Kaiba "ghost" and limit breaks. He communicates with Pegasus and looks all badass with the third eye and all. Well in Japanese, he pretty much says "I'll get you you big jerk." But in English he really tears into him verbally. I was so disappointed when I watched that episode in Japanese as I was expecting it to be even better.
yugioh_opening04272002_60.jpg

Hell yeah. WHY did he never do anything like this again? :rage:

LOL, a throwback to his early days before the card game, when he was a dangerous, and vengeful dealer of gaming justice. Atem has mind crushed, and left so many people as vegetable, insane shells of their former selves, its not even funny.

3. Pretty surprising as the rest of the episode was absolutely butchered in English. But the episode where Kaiba tries to commit suicide. I'm sorry, I mean the episode when Kaiba placed himself in position in which the resulting holographic explosion from a sword strike that wouldn't even actually destroy his monster might push him off.......:huh:

SLIT MY THROAT WITH YOUR CARD!!!!

But alas...the uncuts were overpriced and thus, never continued.

Yeah. Shit sucks.

Top Bottom