• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Is Marche a huge dick?

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Okay, in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, you play as some kid named Marche in a crazy world of new creatures trying to get back home. Pretty typical fantasy stuff: as you're in the game, you meet up with your other friends who seem to be integrating into the fantasy world quite well: your little brother, who is confined to a wheelchair, is finally able to walk around on his own, your friend Ritz, who has pink hair, finds friends who like its true white color and think that she's a great person, and finally Mewt, who no one really liked in the real world and had an alcoholic dad and his mom is dead, gets to be a prince in this one and his father is one of the almighty judges. Everyone besides yourself seems to really like this new world and all of the friends they're making.

The only whiny one here who is determined to go home is you. All of your friends are enjoying themselves, and heck, several of them try to stop you from taking all of them back. Let's be honest: you're just being a whiny little dick who can't handle bunny girls by trying to get everyone to go home. So you kill the queen and send everyone rushing back home from Ivalice because Ritz accepted her white hair, Mewt gets to say he loves his mommy and uh your brother just realizes he's gonna be confined to a wheelchair for his whole life and there's nothing he can do about it.

So let's be honest. Marche is a huge dick who didn't want his brother to walk around and be better than him, and this is why he brought all of them back from Ivalice.

Marcheisadick.PNG

Last edited:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
The only whiny one here who is determined to go home is you. All of your friends are enjoying themselves, and heck, several of them try to stop you from taking all of them back. Let's be honest: you're just being a whiny little dick who can't handle bunny girls by trying to get everyone to go home.

....Marche, whiny?

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

On a more serious note, I think that Marche was the opposite of being a whiny little asshole. Living in an imaginary world does not make that world reality or make your problems disappear and Marche was smart enough to know that. He was doing the right thing in trying to make everyone buck up and face reality.

Also, Marche is the best villain in FF ever. :awesome:

Last edited:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Marche is one of the very few FF characters who is not only the main character, but also the main villian. Think about it, he basicly wiped out an entire world filled with wonderful magical creatures and the like so he could go back to school and be bullied. I suppose that also makes him one of the studpidest FF characters as well.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Marche is one of the very few FF characters who is not only the main character, but also the main villian. Think about it, he basicly wiped out an entire world filled with wonderful magical creatures and the like so he could go back to school and be bullied. I suppose that also makes him one of the studpidest FF characters as well.

He didn't wipe it out. The world of FFT:A still exists and in the end they can visit it once again. All he did was keep the real world from being erased by the fantasy of poor lil' Mewt.

See the perfect ending and Grimoire of the Rift.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I haven't played *FFT... but yeah, what a douche. But does this mean Ivalice isn't real? D:

edit: FFTA

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
:facepalm:

No, Marche is not a douche. Him bringing back reality so that it's no longer erased/overlapped by the fantasy world Ivalice is not dickish. It's him keeping people and their families together and not having them erased by the twisted imaginings of a pre-pubescent teenager.

FFS, the fantasy world Ivalice ends up existing anyways, and the Grimoire still stays in Mewt's possession.

Marche didn't destroy shit. People are missing the point.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
He didn't wipe it out. The world of FFT:A still exists and in the end they can visit it once again. All he did was keep the real world from being erased by the fantasy of poor lil' Mewt.

See the perfect ending and Grimoire of the Rift.
Now that, I didn't know. I never saw the perfect ending or played GotR yet and I always figured that the dream world of Ivalice lived on in everybody's hearts and all that.

Except at the ending, Marche and Mewt stand up for themselves, so... :monster:

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Now that, I didn't know. I never saw the perfect ending or played GotR yet and I always figured that the dream world of Ivalice lived on in everybody's hearts and all that.

No, the Grimoire exists, and he ends up passing it to Luso. So yeah. It's pretty far from being erased or destroyed.

That fact alone pretty much kills that argument. :monster:

@Diego Armando

No. :monster:

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
so mako what was the point of bringing his brother back, other than to have some crippled little brother realize he will never, ever get better and his life basically sucks?

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
The entire story of FFT was that you cannot escape your troubles, and escapist fantasy is no solution.Facing them, confronting and dealing with them is the solution. So yes, Marche is an Asshole, BUT HE'S RIGHT. He's not crippling his brother for the Lulz, but because his brother needed to come to terms with being wheelchair bound so he wouldn't think he was useless. Plus, there's the whole fact of them IMPOSING THEIR REALITY ON SOMEONE ELSE'S WORLD.

The world of Ivalice DOES EXIST. And Marche et. all are, by the power of the grimoire, enforcing their fantasies on Ivalice.
When you break the chains, the REAL Ivalice is allowed to exist again- free of the fantasy, but still remembering the events of FFT. See also: FFT:A.
Multiverse theory is canon for ALL FFs to date, remember.

To sum Up-
Marche: Asshole- but for the right reasons. Not a villain.
And Marche and Mewt standing up for themselves is them learning the lesson- stand up, face your issues, and don't run away physically or emotionally.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
so mako what was the point of bringing his brother back, other than to have some crippled little brother realize he will never, ever get better and his life basically sucks?

He needs to deal with who he is, and not try to live in a fantasy world where he's somebody he isn't. Reality isn't something that can just be erased and substituted with a Final Fantasy game. :monster:

That and I'm sure the world wouldn't appreciate being literally moved over to make way for a fantasy world.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
No, the Grimoire exists, and he ends up passing it to Luso. So yeah. It's pretty far from being erased or destroyed.

That fact alone pretty much kills that argument. :monster:

I had always assumed that when Marche and co got out of the book, the book would be unusable to go back in, like the wardrobe to Narnia. :monster: Glad to have that cleared up though.

I've thought about this before, and it's one of the things about the story that makes it so interesting. A lot of people see the main characters are kids and just expect the story to be for kids as well. FFTA has a lot more depth than people give it credit for.

He needs to deal with who he is, and not try to live in a fantasy world where he's somebody he isn't. Reality isn't something that can just be erased and substituted with a Final Fantasy game. :monster:

That and I'm sure the world wouldn't appreciate being literally moved over to make way for a fantasy world.

Everyone else has pretty much said what I would. It's not a black and white issue. Yes his friends are happier in this fantasy, but it's not real. He has to make the tough decision, because he's the only one who can see things for what they are.

Sidenote: Ritz made me wish I had white hair.

But who is he to decide what's best for them?

Because it's not just them, it's not just his friends, it's everyone being affected. The world is being changed, almost overwritten.

His friends are being given good things, so it's made it hard for them to look past and realize the real problems. He's not clouded by that, which gives him the responsibility to stand up and say this isn't right.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
IT'S AMORETTA VIRGINE

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
But how is he to just decide that for them?

He's got every right to want to go home, but he doesn't have the right to drag them back when they don't want to go.

IT'S AMORETTA VIRGINE
Grim Grimoire = <3 LilletxAmoretta is my OTP of all time. XD

But how is he to just decide that for them?

He's got every right to want to go home, but he doesn't have the right to drag them back when they don't want to go.

Because it's not all about them, or him, it's about the whole world.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
From what I'm reading earlier in the thread, the fantasy world still exists after the fact, so I'm assuming so. I haven't played it since I did everything there was to do, and don't plan on playing it EVER again. XD

Top Bottom