• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Did you like Cait Sith?

Did you like Cait Sith?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
you do realize that no matter how much you hate cait sith he's still a canon character at least twenty times more existent than whatever fan character you make in his place, rite?

o wait there is no canon rite lol

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
...because...they use the techniques that were in the game? Why do you become detached? Just because you recognize the move?

No, because it looks ridiculous to have game play elements in a motion picture. Yo have someone standing there as a magical sword goes into him again and again is silly.

There are limits. Materia is real. Magic is real. Those can work. But floating sephiroth in the air with a limit break attack which makes you feel like you are suddenly in a game breaks the belief that you are in a world.

It doesn't in a game (IN BATTLE) because you expect it and it is necessary. Ina film, you can't just throw logic out of the window or SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF IS BROKEN.

As it was for me... all the way through.

you do realize that no matter how much you hate cait sith he's still a canon character at least twenty times more existent than whatever fan character you make in his place, rite?
1. There is no canon. 2. 20X? where did that figure come from? 3. Everyone knows Cait is what the writers wanted, but sadly for you, you will have to tolerate the fact that many people will install my mod for the reasons I have outlined. It doesn't matter how much you don't like that, the fact is, some people will definitely prefer my work to the original.

4. If I create a character and remove Cait, then that character exists in FF7 as much s the original did. The only difference is how well known my mod becomes or does not. Officially it will not be accepted as FF7, but unofficially it is a new story. I will call it FF7: Without Cait.

5. You have a choice ;)

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
No, because it looks ridiculous to have game play elements in a motion picture. Yo have someone standing there as a magical sword goes into him again and again is silly.

The limits are referenced in the Ultimania and acknowledged as the techniques of these characters, not just features of a battle system, but their abilities. Nowhere is it said that everything in battles is to be discounted, and unless word came from on high there's no reason to assume anything. All you can do is accept what you see. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant.
Ina film, you can't just throw logic out of the window or SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF IS BROKEN.

Yet so many books,comics, manga, anime and films do but still work and satisfy many. How does this break the game/movie/whatever anyway?

1. There is no canon.

Lol wtf FF7 has no canon now? Just LOL.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Ultimania? You mean that book that has tons of mistakes :P I have already said, the writers themselves have lost the plot. Wouldn't be the first time (hint Lucas)

You have skipped about 10 pages, I know because you haven't learned a dickey bird of what I said.

FF7 and canon: Doesn't exist to me. And if it exists to you, you have my sympathy. You see, FF7 was intended to be 1 story and that's why there are so many retcons and bizarre story breakers in the Preq/Seq ;)

You migth enjoy that, maybe it turns you on to see a good story destroyed? not me though :P I realise that what has happened is FF7 has become a big fat cash cow.

You on the other hand, are a nice little sheep for Enix

If you accept canon of FF7 then you are telling the world that you have been conned out of your money :P. One story. It doesn't matter if they changed their minds later. The fact is FF7 is a standalone tale which doesn't work with the preq and seq.

All of this can be summed up by the fact that I am going to repair the damage to the original translation, then repair Cait by gettin rid of him, and then I will do a full story based video for youtube.

....And Canon is for suckers.
;)

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Ultimania? You mean that book that has tons of mistakes :P I have already said, the writers themselves have lost the plot. Wouldn't be the first time (hint Lucas)

Herp derp regardless of whatever errors you perceive it's proof that FF7's team never considered the limits just battle mechanics. It's their property, they decide what's what no matter if we like it or not.
FF7 and canon: Doesn't exist to me. And if it exists to you, you have my sympathy. You see, FF7 was intended to be 1 story and that's why there are so many retcons and bizarre story breakers in the Preq/Seq ;)

It exists, it is the accumulated telling of the sum of FF7. SAYING SEE NO EVIL HEAR NO EVIL doesn't mean the evil isn't there son.

You on the other hand, are a nice little sheep for Enix

For someone who likes to accuse people of ad hominem you certainly like using it quite a bit yourself. I guess it's a good barometer for maturity for someone who circle jerks so much and claims to rage against the machine.
If you accept canon of FF7 then you are telling the world that you have been conned out of your money :P. One story. It doesn't matter if they changed their minds later. The fact is FF7 is a standalone tale which doesn't work with the preq and seq.

I accept that SE can do whatever the fuck they want with their series and say what is canon. I don't like a lot of the compilation, but that don't change what is.

PS: I haven't bought a single thing from the compilation. That said FF7 clearly has a place in the compilation that works for most people.

All of this can be summed up by the fact that I am going to repair the damage to the original translation, then repair Cait by gettin rid of him, and then I will do a full story based video for youtube.

Herp derp you can't fix something that isn't broken. At best what you can call what you're doing modification.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
If I create a character and remove Cait, then that character exists in FF7 as much s the original did. The only difference is how well known my mod becomes or does not.

Just like if I wrote the Lord of the Rings without Tom Bombadil, and added in someone else, then it would be as official as the real story based on how many people read it can gushed about my verion.

Delusions of grandeur for fanfiction is all that is.

Nothing more.

X :neo:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
This thread is just... I don't even...

Why are you guys even arguing with him? Anyone who says "There's no canon" as an actual argument isn't even sane enough to argue with IMO.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
This thread is just... I don't even...

Why are you guys even arguing with him? Anyone who says "There's no canon" as an actual argument isn't even sane enough to argue with IMO.

Mostly because we have no lives.

That and when I see nonsensical shit I have the bad habit of disputing it.

I know, not constructive at all.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Why are you guys even arguing with him?
For this reason:

duty_calls.png

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Herp derp you can't fix something that isn't broken
Translation isn't broken? Good luck convincing people who know what they are on about, with that.... That isn't even in dispute in the slightest, although you would argue the moon is made of cheese.

As for Cait, I think I supplied enough evidence of why the character does not work well in FF7. It went over your head yet again....

Night :P

Just like if I wrote the Lord of the Rings without Tom Bombadil, and added in someone else, then it would be as official as the real story based on how many people read it can gushed about my verion.
Peter Jackson altered a lot of LOTR. You should think before you use analogies.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Translation isn't broken? Good luck convincing people who know what they are on about, with that....

As usual you display your astounding ability to infer what people are talking about.
As for Cait, I think I supplied enough evidence of why the character does not work well in FF7. It went over your head yet again....

You supplied an opinion. Just like everyone else.

Peter Jackson altered a lot of LOTR. You should think before you use analogies.

:facepalm:

Talk about things going over peoples' heads.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Jackson's version of LOTR isn't canonical to Tolkien's LOTR. It's canonical to itself and only itself. As far as establishing what happens in the Tolkien LOTR universe goes it's nothing more than fan fiction.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Jackson's version of LOTR isn't canonical to Tolkien's LOTR. It's canonical to itself and only itself. As far as establishing what happens in the Tolkien LOTR universe goes it's nothing more than fan fiction.

You miss the point. It is accepted by people as its own work and art. As my mod will be when I edit out Cait.

I am afraid the original writers of 7 do not hold copyright to words. Once something is changed it is changed. You won't be playing it anyway, you find Cait OK for FF7, and whilst I fail to see how, I don;t see why some of you are moaning.... you aint gonna install the mod.

So cheer up :P but know that while you can jump up and down all you like, certain people will be enjoying the new story I add in there. I don't care if you don't, in fact, I would take it as a compliment if most here didn't like it.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
You're not Peter Jackson. Don't flatter yourself, kid.

Furthermore, I think you'll find that Square Enix does in fact hold a copyright to the words of Final Fantasy VII, as Tolkien's estate holds a copyright to Lord of the Rings. The reason Jackson was allowed to make his film is because the estate licensed it to him. You're just some schmuck with a grudge against Square Enix's finished product. You're not even doing it because you're a fan of the work; you're doing it because you don't like what they came up with and want to change it.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
You're not Peter Jackson. Don't flatter yourself, kid.

Furthermore, I think you'll find that Square Enix does in fact hold a copyright to the words of Final Fantasy VII, as Tolkien's estate holds a copyright to Lord of the Rings. The reason Jackson was allowed to make his film is because the estate licensed it to him. You're just some schmuck with a grudge against Square Enix's finished product. You're not even doing it because you're a fan of the work; you're doing it because you don't like what they came up with and want to change it.

I said words, kid. And I didn't compare myself to Jackson's talent, I compared myself to what he did and what I am doing. But this is pointless now, I am doing it and in fact have already edited the model and the FMV and no one can stop me. So swivel on it :P

Also they do not hold copyright to

And
The
Soldier
Killed
To

and the other 100000?

I don't think so.

Not a fan of the work? LMAO How can someone who puts as much time and effort ... oh forget it, you are pointless.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
For your work to be accepted "as its own work and art," you would first have to be capable of creating something that would be regarded as a work of art. You have yet to demonstrate that capacity in any of the interactions I have ever seen you engage in.

And apparently you have difficulty with either copyright law or reading comprehension. I did not say the individual words of FFVII were copyrighted. I said the words of FFVII in totality are copyrighted. That is, the words of FFVII, arranged in the specific combination they have them arranged in, are indeed copyrighted by Square Enix. They are not copyrighted individually, but they certainly are copyrighted in the combination Square Enix has arranged them. You may not like the fact that this is the way copyright law works, but this is in fact the way copyright law works. Square Enix has issued cease and desist orders to people for violating their copyrights in the past and I have no reason to suspect that they will not continue to do so.

An actual fan of FFVII would respect the creators' intentions rather than attempt to modify the game to support his or her whims. Retranslating the game is one thing, taking out an entire character is something altogether different. I don't even consider myself an FFVII fan but I also have enough respect for the creators not to pretend that making random changes completely out of line with their intentions would somehow be an improvement.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
You have yet to demonstrate that capacity in any of the interactions I have ever seen you engage in.
You are very ignorant to anything which has been going on, the reason it will succeed is because I ignore people like you and know who to listen to. You don't rate.

I said the words of FFVII in totality are copyrighted.
Go and read what I first wrote. I said words originally. Not FF7 words. I know FF7 creators own copyright to their work. Thing is, I couldn't give a fuck.

taking out an entire character is something altogether different.
Boo Hoo, you are making me cry... how could I get rid of Cait...

In fact you will note that I have 1 Scottish person helping me with the retranslation project, so that we get Cait as he was originally intended. So I would say I am doing a better job already than the original translation team who couldnt care less for the sack of crap they served up.

But the separate mod, you are right. That is the one where I remove Cait. So what.
----------

I think you need to realise that I understand writing and fiction a whole lot more than you, and I am definitely more of a fan of FF7. How I debate on forums, or how I respond to you, or the lack of respect I give certain people here, has nothing to do with my ability to retranslate the game or create Skoll Iscarit.

At the end of the day, we are all fans of FF7, and so instead of whining and whinging and getting all emotional because I am changing your God, you should pull together and maybe add something constructive in the relevant thread.

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
I think you need to realise that I understand writing and fiction a whole lot more than you, and I am definitely more of a fan of FF7. How I debate on forums, or how I respond to you, or the lack of respect I give certain people here, has nothing to do with my ability to retranslate the game or create Skoll Iscarit.

At the end of the day, we are all fans of FF7, and so instead of whining and whinging and getting all emotional because I am changing your God, you should pull together and maybe add something constructive in the relevant thread.
Does it ever occur to you that posts like this are why no one takes you seriously?

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
You are very ignorant to anything which has been going on, the reason it will succeed is because I ignore people like you and know who to listen to. You don't rate.
Oh noes, the bigot thinks I'm ignorant. However will I cope? Oh wait, I don't give a shit. Have fun with your failure of a mod that maybe twelve people will download.

Go and read what I first wrote. I said words originally. Not FF7 words.
...which aren't relevant? What you're using aren't just any words. It's Square Enix's words.

Boo Hoo, you are making me cry... how could I get rid of Cait...

In fact you will note that I have 1 Scottish person helping me with the retranslation project, so that we get Cait as he was originally intended. So I would say I am doing a better job already than the original translation team who couldnt care less for the sack of crap they served up.
A sack of dog shit could do a better job than the original translation team. That doesn't mean you're capable of doing a good job.

But the separate mod, you are right. That is the one where I remove Cait. So what.
Anyone who's that dissatisfied with the product that he seriously feels a need to change the game from the creators' original vision so drastically that an entire character gets cut out isn't much of a fan.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Given FF7 is what I would term, the greatest game ever made, I don't think so. However, unlike you, I am not a religious fanatic of FF7. I know its shortcomings and I know it can be better in many ways.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I've been studying fiction for decades. I'm sure you don't know more about fiction or writing than I do. You can't even demonstrate basic reading comprehension in this thread, so expecting for you to understand how to write skilfully is like expecting a person who doesn't even know the difference between North and South Korea to be a competent president.

And here you once again demonstrate your complete failure at reading comprehension. I already said I'm not even an FFVII fan in this very thread:
I don't even consider myself an FFVII fan
I don't regard FFVII as "my god." I just think someone who has so little respect for the finished product that they feel it necessary to completely change something as crucial as a playable character can't be much of a fan either.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Well then quite simply, stop whinging. And you are right, I am actually at the point of skimming over your posts. I gave up bothering with you a long while back.

You do seem to be very vocal about this Cait thing, you were the other year as well. I suggest you get used to it and stop your moaning.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
I"m not going to read all this... but I am going to thank all of Aaron's posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom