The best music of Final Fantasy VIII

Seunia

Dedicated Fan
What is your favourite track in FFVIII?

I consider this soundtrack to be one of the best I´ve ever heard. Here are the tracks I love the most: The Oath, Love Grows, The Stage Is Set, Eyes On Me, Tell Me, My Mind, Movin´, and a lot more...:awesome:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
For me it might be the 10:00 mark of the Ending Theme, until the end:

First of all, it feels like the culmination of the SeeD track, which was so awesome for atmosphere and is made even better by this fuller, more triumphant orchestration. And then it employs that "Ardente-veritate-urite-mala-mundi" motif. I like pretty much every incarnation of that theme (it appears in Liberi Fatali, The Landing, The Stage is Set, Premonition, etc. and those are pretty much the rest of my favourite tracks) but in this it really shines. And then finally it gives way to the Prelude's only appearance in the game. When I first heard it, I felt like I had been building towards it for eighty hours. It symbolizes beginnings, and when it's paired with the image of Squall coming into his own after so long it almost brings tears to my eyes.

So yeah, that shit and stuff.

I really love FFVIII's music. The lack of character leitmotifs is a hard adjustment for the series to make, but it almost sets the soundtrack free to just impose atmosphere on the listener, and it excels.

Lumina

a pokémon.
AKA
Bayleef, Jessica
I really liked FFVIII music, but from all of them I should say that "Premonition" owned my heart.

Shakarian

dem titans
AKA
Palumpolum, Jack the Ripper, Colonel AI, laurash65, Re-L Mayer
1) Eyes on Me
2) Premonition
3) The Landing
4) Compression of Time
5) Force Your Way
6) Man With the Machine Gun
7) The Oath

My personal favorites :awesome:

Last edited:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Love Grows and Fisherman's Horizon are easily my favourite pieces. Hell, Fisherman's Horizon is up there with my favourite pieces for the entire franchise. I can't believe I'm the first on to mention it ;.;

Gabriel_D

Rookie Adventurer
Agree with Alex, Fisherman's Horizon is within the best of Nobuo (imo).

The game had some really nice music overall, Liberi Fatalis, Eyes on me, dance with the balamb fish. *sigh*

good stuff.-

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Back when I still had the whole FF soundtrack downloaded, one particular track that stood out in the FFVIII soundtrack was Silence and Motion. Probably because it's awesome and I didn't remember it, :monster:.

Fuck, I should get piano lessons after drum lessons.

Ite

AKA
Ite
I was so "WTF" when I first got to Esthar and Silence and Motion was playing. So many bweeps and bwoops.

But considering I spent most of the game there (hunting malboros outside the city gates, wandering etc.) the song never got annoying. And now I listen to it and get all nostalgic goosebumps. The piano version is really good too. Good pic!

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
Eyes on Me will forever be my most favourite FF8 song. It just brings forth so many memories of childhood and being a teenager. Plus it's so romantic, passionate and matches the romance between Laguna and Julia, and Squall and Rinoa so much. <3 Whenever I listen to Eyes on Me, I listen to memories of yesterday. <=

Seunia

Dedicated Fan
I was recently listening to the orchestral version of "The Landing". Now, that was something worth hearing...:)

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Love Grows and Fisherman's Horizon are easily my favourite pieces. Hell, Fisherman's Horizon is up there with my favourite pieces for the entire franchise. I can't believe I'm the first on to mention it ;.;

Yeah, I love FH too, its just so relaxing and warm isn't it? I also like Breezy for the same reasons. (FFIX's Dali theme fits in with these two as well)

I just want to fall asleep on a sunny windowsill like a cat now....:sleep:

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
And those are some of the reasons why, despite liking recent Final Fantasy OSTs, I love Uematsu so much. At his worse, some songs can be really bland, but at his best, they can be amazing!

Lex

Administrator
The Stage is Set really stands out to me, I've always loved that track. I'm of the opinion that VIII was Nobuo's compositional peak. Every track completely fits the tone of the scenes, and makes the game feel so cinematic.

Seunia

Dedicated Fan
I recently finished FFVIII...for the first time. I was so happy :lol:
It seems to me that squaresoft liked to surprise the player by the music themes of the last bosses. And this game is no exception. "Maybe I´m a Lion" is a theme like no other in the game. It was so...wild :oscar:
"Premonition" is a great track and will always be.
"The Extreme" is kinda scary and weird, but impressive.
"The Legendary Beast" is my personal favourite. It´s somehow majestic, just like Griever.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm not the biggest fan of FF8 but that does not extend to it's soundtrack. I love the sound of it and while Uematsu has kept a lot of the games' soundtracks surprisingly unique, VIII's might be the most different. IX has some similar sounds, but that's about it.

Firstly, you can never overlook Liberi Fatali, which presided over one of the best opening scenes ever and has that awesome crescendo at the end.

is a great battle theme and one of my favorite Distant Worlds tracks.

, weird name aside, is probably favorite of the 'hurry up!' FF songs. That driving bass line that "skips" (first occurring at 11 seconds), is a perfect adrenaline-pumping song.

My favorite song just might be:

Obviously this little motif is used all over the game, but this one is my favorite. It's just so deliciously evil and ominous. Capturing all this huge evil into such small sounds. I especially like how at around 1:15 it starts to slowly get bigger and bigger and then...at 1:30 it goes right back to that teensy little melody. It's kind of the polar opposite of Those Chosen by the Planet.

So I agree, great soundtrack.

#%@$ if I don't hate Eyes on Me though. That godforsaken song will be the death of me.

AvecAloes

Donator
I haven't actually played VIII (from what I've heard about it, I don't think I really care to, either...), but Distant Worlds introduced me to the music with their version of Don't Be Afraid, which is one of my favorite Distant Worlds tracks in general, along with Liberi Fatali. Since hearing those, I've listened to some more songs from VIII, and I also like The Man with the Machine Gun, although it's a little removed from the style I generally like.

Not a big fan of Fisherman's Horizon, though, to be honest. That might have something to do with seeing a fangirl literally explode when the orchestra performed it at the Distant Worlds concert I went to (I'm so sorry, but I could barely keep myself from laughing at her reaction, and now that's all I can think of when I hear that song).

Lex

Administrator
Fisherman's Horizon, I think, is one of those tracks that definitely has a bit of nostalgia attached to it for me. I remember hearing it for the first time and not really feeling one way or the other about it, but because of the key moments in the game when you actually go there it tends to stick with you. But I adore the Distant Worlds version, I love it. I don't know whether I prefer it or the original, because they do have a different sound (obviously XD).

Avec, I am so jealous you've been to DW. I'm definitely going to have to get my hands on tickets. You should definitely play VIII at one point, but I do think it's a bit of an acquired taste. I'm trying to think of a way to "sell" it to you, but it's definitely better to play it and form your own opinion about it. Then again, I advocate playing every FF game anyway, especially from the PS/PS2 era.

I love a lot of the VIII soundtrack, but one of my favourites is Compression of Time. Such a weird vibey track that always gives me something.

It's really fucking stupid that if you hit the save point in the Sorceress Room you literally only hear the first 10 seconds, because you have to STICK WITH IT TIL IT GETS TO 0:57, then 1:47 to get the full effect.

I don't know if it's really weird I like this one so much though, it is really wacky for a FF tune, and I suppose that's saying something. It's just really atmospheric.

There's also this excellent orchestral remix of it:

AvecAloes

Donator
Lex - you MUST go to a DW concert. Absolutely. I went to one in Baltimore last summer, and it was so cool. Hiiiiighly recommend it.

I'm kind of surprised at my FF count, to be honest. Once I finish V (which should be any day now), I will have played 7 of them, and while I do like the idea of giving them all a chance...well, I tried playing the original, but eventually got confused about where I was supposed to go and didn't all that far into it, what I saw other people play of XII I wasn't really into it, and from what I've heard about VIII I've never really been interested. It's mostly the things that I have heard people complain about that make me not want to play it, to be honest. But maybe someday, if I come across a free copy and I'm bored...hehehe. Not to bash VIII, I just don't have the desire. :shrug:

Ite

AKA
Ite
Oh man Lex I hated that song until I heard this OC remix:

Maybe it's the fake saxophone in the original. As a sax player I can't stand it. That orchestral mix is pretty great though.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I can see the song being totally irritating. The sax sound is definitely uncomfortable to listen to, but I think that added to my feeling of weird edginess the first time I heard it. The remix I posted definitely bypasses that, but adds a new level of weird ^_^.

And yeah Ite that is a great remix too, I love that one.

Seunia

Dedicated Fan
I remember having "My mind" as an alarm tune on my phone. It was so beautiful to wake up to this piece...I highly recommend it......but just for a few mornings. The song may lose its magical power when you listen to it too often, ya know? :lol:

Top Bottom