• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Would a CG Movie of FF7 Be a Good Alternative to a Remake?

Would You Like to See a CG Movie Based on FF7 if a Remake Doesn't Happen?

• Total voters

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Square could remake VII as a game.

But why not remake it as a CG movie?

A CG movie would cost much less, take a fraction of the time, and would give us the story and action of FFVII in graphical quality even a Playstation 4 couldn't match.

And I think the movie doesnt need to be terribly long, either. Alot of parts can be shortened or skipped all together. Like any movie it wont follow the source material to the letter, but neither would a game remake.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Duuude, how can the story of the game fit in ONE movie?

If they make a trilogy ala Lord of the Rings UNCUT (that is, almost four hours each movie), then MAYBE they could put all the material and story the game had.

But, ONE movie for the WHOLE game...? Nope.

Still, I don't understand why they should do this. Personally, I'd like to play the game, not sit back and watch the scenes. :shifty: We had ACC for this.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
I've never read the Lord of the Rings books, but I can say that if Steven Spielberg filmed every scene from the Jurassic Park book the movie would be 6+ hours long.

A talented screenplay writer could chop FF7 down to size nicely and retain character development etc

Events or areas that would likely get cut out

- Wall Market
- Chocobo Farm
- Fort Condor
- First visit to Junon
- Costa del Sol
- Gonzaga
- Wutai
- Bone Village
- Icicle Village
etc

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Thing is... fans aren't going to want anything in FFVII to be cut out. And yeah, I'd rather play it. A movie of it is not a good idea imo.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Events or areas that would likely get cut out

- Wall Market
- Chocobo Farm
- Fort Condor
- First visit to Junon
- Costa del Sol
- Gonzaga
- Wutai
- Bone Village
- Icicle Village
etc

So you're cutting, AT LEAST; the hilarious and fan-favourite Wall Market section, the iconic (it's FF, after all) Chocobo section and the two only towns in the northern continent? And I'm being nice here; since I believe personally that Junon is important (how'd they cross the pond?), as well as Costa del Sol (finding Hojo and knowing where to go?). You could argue that Wutai and Gongaga are less important, perhaps because you're not forced to go. And even so I still feel there's important stuff in them.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
I want to play it with better graphics. If they'd make this into a single movie, they would have to cut A LOT of the sequences and I wouldn't want them to cut any, really... especially the Wall Market part. Seeing CG Cloud in drag AND being gang raped are two of my greatest dreams.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
On the one side, I wouldn't mind FFVII being turned into a movie full of CG goodness.

On the other, it'd never match up with the original, especially not according to those that give a fuck.

As for money, even if they cut out all the filler, it would still be at least three or four times the length of ACC, and what did that one cost? (I couldn't find the figures, sorry).

The most expensive game to date (before initial release) was GTA IV with a budget of $100,000,000 (with Bioware's The Old Republic MMO expected to trump that).

So compare those two. Which would be more expensive (a remake or a three/four-times-as-long movie (set))? Which would bring in the most money and be cost-effective?

People would definitely buy a FFVII movie, but not nearly as much as a proper remake, I'd say. Also because a remake could potentially have hundreds of hours of entertainment, while a movie would only have a handful.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
With AC(C) having been sub par and barely even better then FF:TSWI i really doubt fans would be pleased with SE giving a go at making another action film with no plot :monster:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
AC/C was essentially FFVII crammed into a feature-length movie.

Why would I wanna watch that again?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
And I think the movie doesnt need to be terribly long, either. Alot of parts can be shortened or skipped all together.
Have you considered a career with Square-Enix?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Thing is... fans aren't going to want anything in FFVII to be cut out. And yeah, I'd rather play it. A movie of it is not a good idea imo.

Playing a cinematic action adventure game > watching an action adventure movie imo.

I will take Uncharted over Indiana Jones and FFVII over ACC any day.

It would make a much better live action TV series.
Such a thing would certainly bring the fandom back to life as we could argue endlessly over the casting, the faithfulness to the original of each episode, the sets, the script, etc.., etc...

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Nahhh if at best, they could do a cgi tv series. But the record track for the genre has been a mixed feeling for me. For example, that crap they call star wars the clone wars. I dont want ffvii to be bastardized in such an insulting way.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
OK then,

how about remaking Final Fantasy VII as a 30 episode anime series?

Square could make alot of money off of it. Selling the TV rights to cartoon network, and then making more money off of bluray and DVD sales. And then there is action figures and other things that Square could sell with all the exposure the anime will get on cartoon network. Any Final Fantasy fan would buy the bluray or DVDs. And it would make an excellent TV series for the Cartoon Network.

With a 30 episode anime series they can include everything, Wall Market, Fort Condor, everything. 30 episodes is roughly 10 hours they have to work with. I think they can get everything into 10 hours.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
No offense, my productive chap, but that idea is small time.

FFVII's scope would be capable of covering 50 - 100 episodes max. 30 ain't enough if you ask me.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
You're probably right.

I just worry about Square and Cartoon Network's ability to agree to 100 episodes.

I dont think a FFVII anime would find it's strongest fanbase running around 3-5pm, it would definitly have to headline the "Adult Swim" programming of Cartoon Network if they still have that.

Every Final Fantasy fan would watch it, but what about those who are not fans? How will they receive Cloud? Does he have enough charisma to win an audience unfamiliar with FFVII? Tifa will provide fan service which helps, but what about the rest of the crew? They are mainly adult characters and I wonder about the cartoon network's audience ability to relate to them. Most cartoon network anime I see have a young protagonist who is really good at something and a bit wreckless...VII is not like that. VII has a very dark, modern, grown up feel to it. Maybe I'm wrong though. I've never seen anime like "Ghost in the Shell" but it appears to be a bit mor adult and is popular so who knows.

Sure Cowboy Bebop had a run on "Adult Swim" but it likely came cheap, it was already made Cartoon Network just had to pay to show it. A FFVII anime wont come cheap like an old Japanese anime would.

I'm thining Square and Cartoon Netowrk may agree to one season, lets say 15 episodes spanning from the beginning until the crew leaves Midgar. They look over the ratings and decide whether or not to continue.

FFVII has it's popularity going for it that would appear to make it a runaway sure hit. But then you have to wonder how the story would translate as an anime.

To ensure quality Nomura and Kitase could oversee the project.

Ghost X

Lol @ poll results. As much as I'm a fan of action and fighting sequences in any film, I'd rather resources be spent on a sequel to complete the compilation, and bring it to a close.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I would say an anime series would be best. They already have the OtWtaS OVA's. Madhouses' animation style was best, imho. :monster:

clowd

Pro Adventurer
I think you guys are assuming that a remake on the PS3 or PS4 would be equal to or superior to the original

That's not a lock by any means.

How will improved graphics help the gameplay? I'm replaying FFVII now and the gameplay is solid as it has ever been. I dont see how remaking it on a new platform would make the gameplay any better.

Bsically I'm sure everyone wants the remake for better graphics and voice acting. But the problem is...it's still the same story and likely the same gameplay. They change any of that up and you enrage millions of fans.

So why not just remake it as an anime series? You get improved visuals and voice acting. If you want the gameplay, play the original.

How many games have been remade in the history of video games? I dont know of any. Especially games on the scale of FFVII. Theres nothing to go off to decide whether or not a remake will suceed or not.

What's wrong with just leaving the original game as it is? If they remade it with PS3 graphics in 2 years the graphics will look outdated. In 10 years it will look the way FFVII does now.

Its a losing battle

Remake it as an anime and it will be timeless. People won't look at an anime series based on FFVII in 20 years and say wow that looks old like they would a PS3 remake.

If there is a new full Final Fantasy VII game I would like it to be a VII-2 type game. Just leave the original alone, theres way too many problems that come up when trying to remake it...thats why it hasn't been done yet despite it being so wanted by the fans.

I think the Final Fantasy VII universe needs to be expanded in new ways. Do Star Wars fans want the original movies remade? Not at all. Sure the Star Wars movies special effects stand the test of time better then FFVII but the point remains. Star Wars fans want MMOs and anime series like the Clone Wars. Thats the direction the compilation of FFVII needs to go in.

Top Bottom