Staff Misconduct Thread

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Thank you for that constructive and helpful post. That really helps bring this situation to an amicable and reasonable conclusion.

Could we actually keep the insults and shit stirring posts to a minimum in this thread, please? Thank you.

Being snobby and dismissive when members raise complaints about feeling uncomfortable (something you (iirc) said in the other thread was where you needed to draw the line on stuff) probably isn't the right move here, chief.

Try listening to complaints and grievances out here instead of disappearing off to discuss them behind closed doors. It's less likely to come across as shit-stirring that way for both parties.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
no fuck that mako actually i want an answer

why should ryu have a shred of power when he has a history of abusing it and makes several woman on this forum uncomfortable

last time he broke the rules aaron had to de-mod then re-mod him and that was for a petty off topic offense

seems kinda dumb to me not to just de-mod him until he can act right

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Is it perhaps possible to make the FFOF thread viewable here? I don't think everyone has seen it.

Hey it’s looneymoon (aka Kanaya and lots of other cool usernaemz). I cba to make an account here so Brent kindly offered to post up my thoughts for me. I’m gonna try and be as direct and forward as possible, because I think everyone is kind of skirting the real issue of why this whole ordeal is so dramatic as it is. Imo at least.

In response to Fangu
“1. Don’t post your naked body on the Internet if you don’t want it to spread. If you regret it 2 sec later - too late. Damage done.”
I could easily reword this to something along the line of “don’t go out at night wearing skimpy clothing lest you want some dude to stick his dick in you. If you regret it 2 sec later – too late. Damage done.”

Honestly I hate it when people make really dramatic comparisons like that, but honestly; the entire mindset of the people dealing with this issue is very uncomfortable and gives me an awful rape culture vibe. That isn’t only directed at Fangu, but the way the staff is treating the issue as a whole. Sure Ryu apologized to the individual, but what exactly does that do to quell the feeling of discomfort levelled against the entire community? Most of the big name active userbase on the forum is deeply unsettled by the whole thing and yet the mods are brushing that aside.

I honestly do not think the mods comprehend the severity of the wrong that was committed. It’s not a case of numbers of wrong done in this case, it’s about degree. There’s a vast difference between complimenting someone in a tongue-in-cheek manner and deliberately sexually harassing someone (because that’s what it was, it was sexual harassment) after said person made it clear that they did not want that attention anymore. His claiming that he didn’t do anything wrong in subsequent posts and his post in this thread (“Yes. If you’re going to put nudes of yourself on the internet, make damn sure you don’t mind people seeing them”) only makes matters worse and shows that he does not understand what exactly was wrong with what he did. I will say right now that I consider myself an at least decent human being with solid ethics – I am not comfortable with having someone with those kinds of ethics in a staff position. It does not facilitate a comfortable or enjoyable community to me.
And no, it’s not a case of “not getting his humour.” It’s a case of the humour not being funny and downright offensive. That’s coming from someone who appreciates lowbrow humour, but there comes a point where it simply out of line. Ryu’s joking was not JUST out of line. His joking is more like that one racist old relative you have that always makes the uncomfortable jokes at family dinners that makes everyone feels awkward. To call it humour/”a joke” is in itself, sickening and offensive imo. I can give you at least one example in which a similar occurrence has happened to me personally. I didn’t report it then because the severity was not as strong as it was in this case, and the thread in which it happened died pretty quickly after the fact.

As far as the privacy rules are concerned – that is complete bullshit and you know it. TLS is a forum and forums do not operate independently outside the regular universe. It’s not an issue about privacy. It’s about mods treating their userbase with respect, which is something that shouldn’t need to be written down. This is something Ryu very directly defiled and is something the staff has continued to defile in this thread as well.

I think it’s telling when the level of discomfort is so high that some of the most active/most respected members are thinking about leaving the forums as a result (I can give you several names if you wish). And to be perfectly honest – if the staff does not see the problem in how this whole ordeal is being handled, then I’d probably ask for my account to be deleted altogether if that were possible.

I have more to say on the matter but seeing as I couldn't respond on FFOF I didn't really address everything. if the thread becomes viewable again I will probably have more things to respond to.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Aaron said:
Dear L,

You have received an infraction at The Lifestream Forums.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
-------
You have been warned repeatedly about your attitude. Criticism of the staff is perfectly acceptable, but you should know better than to tell ANYONE to "fuck off and grow up" by this point. If you refuse to play nice we will ban you from the board for as long as it takes until you cooperate.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?p=390918
How about this, fuck off and grow up.If staff fuck up then they should apologise for it not go into threads and delete posts you don't deem as fit just because it tarnishes the staff name.
Like dacon said, you don't see anyone else pull this kinda shit and time after time it's the same morons getting away with the same shit.

Saying something is over doesn't necessarily mean it is.
Especially when staff do fuck all about anything other than stroke their own egos and let folk like road and mog do real fucking work.​
All the best,
The Lifestream Forums

Wow, even for you this is petty.

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
wow tls deleted my post fuck i hate not having internet.

look i've been mia for a few days and i missed most of this drama unfold, but i've been keeping up with it as best i can.

to be frank i find this whole situation appalling. it's not just ryu's behavior, either, it's the way the rest of the staff has reacted as well. i don't think you guys get it. this isn't about someone calling names in the LTD, being told their rp replies suck, or being warned for being off topic. this isn't about forum rules at all. ryu needs to be de-modded because what he did was completely dsrespectful and inappropriate behavior by any society's standards. it's not about some generic set of internet rules, it's about the way he conducted himself in public; he was extremely disrespectful towards another member of the forum and because of that he doesn't deserve to have any kind of power on these forums anymore. it doesn't matter if it's not explicitly written in the rules, it's just common sense.

it's honestly really depressing how much the staff is vastly misinterpretating and mishandling this situation. i find it pretty sad that this is being written off as "forum drama". forum drama is tana making 20 sockpuppet accounts. what happened here is a serious issue, and it's a sign that we all need to re-evaluate the way we treat other people on this forum. don't feed me that "it's just the internet" bullshit. when things like this happen i think people forget that the silly old internet is inhabited by real human beings.

i can take a joke as well as the next person. i know places like tumblr are rife with "social justice" advocates and overly-PC assholes of all varieties. i enjoy coming to TLS so i can enjoy offensive or dirty humor with people i like and respect.

but then things like this happen i don't even know how to feel. this isn't a joke. this is actually pretty fucking serious, and i feel really uncomfortable knowing most of the staff doesn't give a shit. it really feels like i vastly misjudged most of you.

but hey, that's my two cents. i'm pretty sure at this point it's falling on deaf ears, but i felt the urge to put it out there anyways.

and just so we're clear: leora, rishi, aki, bex, and i are all busy fucking people who don't feel like dealing with this shit on a website we go to for entertainment. if you really think this is nothing but a self-righteous ryu-hating circlejerk you need to pull your head out of your fucking ass.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Good Jesus Christ. What happened here while I was standing duty at work for the past few days?

Is this situation resolved or should we talk about it some more? If anyone is feeling any unresolved issues I will be glad to lend an ear.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I have some stuff I'd like to say too about the last few days. But its going to have to wait till tomorrow when I'm actually sober and feeling more coherent (spoilers: I'm really not right now) and it might come in the form of a PM too.

Good Jesus Christ. What happened here while I was standing duty at work for the past few days?

Is this situation resolved or should we talk about it some more? If anyone is feeling any unresolved issues I will be glad to lend an ear.

Honestly I think that this happening at all means we should be talking about it. Members are having serious issues with multiple members of staff and I personally think we all need to sit down and discuss the idea that maybe some people just aren't working as moderators and what can we do to solve this.

I'm not saying I want Ryu demodded. Ryu knows I have no personal problems with him. I'm saying we should openly talk about all the staff really, and talk about how they moderate and how the memberbase feels about how they do their job. Because really, mods are here for us. They are just regular members who have been given the authority to help the forums run smoothly.

If someone isn't doing that job properly, maybe they shouldn't be modding, but I'd prefer as much of the memberbase come forward and voice their opinions.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Righty. I'm seeing a lot of vague statements about Ryu being creepy to some and people having issues with some staff, but little solid points I can look at. What I'd like to know is - and preferably make it as short and easy to understand as possible:

* Who has a problem with what staffer - and I'd like this to come from the people that have a problem, not people that aren't directly involved, we had that back on FFOF and it got old.
* Why - preferably point out recent posts or situations. I'm not interested in stuff from previous dramas or from more than a month ago - those should've been reported and dealt with back then.
* What should be done about it - destaffing, public flogging, bans, what-have-you.

I'm okay with gathering these and following up with a voting or something if that's desired, so that people not directly involved can have their say as well.

But one thing I want to make clear - if you have a problem with someone, post it here or let me or X or Mako know, instead of letting it rest and build up for months until it all comes out in one incident (which, for the record, I still feel was blown way out of proportion).

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Oh c'mon, it's nothing against you. It's because in dealing with moderator issues, usually the ones that deal with that are the admins.

You're definitely worth a lot, dude.

I wouldn't call what you do, dealing with it guy :awesome:

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Oh c'mon, it's nothing against you. It's because in dealing with moderator issues, usually the ones that deal with that are the admins.

You're definitely worth a lot, dude.

yeah sorry man but if I had any issues i'd go to mog before I even think about going to you. just sayin.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Just wanna say that after hearing from several members about staff and their relation to dealing with membership issues, reporting staff, and transparency this is not falling on deaf ears and we'll be letting you know within a day on some changes in policy to help resolve the tensions here.

We gotta do something to prevent this from happening in the future as well.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
That's good to know. Honestly I did feel like on FFOF people weren't being heard at all and everything was being dismissed (though I think some people weren't clear on the facts), but it's nice to see you guys are getting involved with it. It's very much appreciated and why I will certainly continue to visit this forum and recommend it to others.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I was one of those dismissing so I wanna personally apologize for that. I was way too abrasive and cold.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I probably didn't come across the way I was intending to come across and I may not even have been reading people's posts properly due to sleep deprivation. So yeah, sorry about that. I may even still be sleep deprived right now, but at least I feel kind of rested.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Just wanna say that after hearing from several members about staff and their relation to dealing with membership issues, reporting staff, and transparency this is not falling on deaf ears and we'll be letting you know within a day on some changes in policy to help resolve the tensions here.
I think part of the problem, which is much more worrying than any one offence of Ryu's, is the way that this issue was treated on FFOF. It more or less confirmed in my mind why people do have such a problem with reporting staff or holding them to account if they step out of line. A problem I'd kind of been aware of for at least a good few months:

Mako said:
I don't get it either, and this dramawhoring is frankly getting old, really fast. Last time it was everyone getting butthurt over MOG and what he posted in General Fuckery. Before it was the appointment of Ariadne. It's the same ole' shit, on a different day.

Ryu made a stupid fucking joke that was inappropriate. But he apologized sincerely to Bex for that, deleted the pic and got talked to by staff, including by 3 of us admins. We're drafting rules to make sure the situation never happens again. Any reasonable person would be satisfied with these measures. But someone's always got to stir the shit pot and keep the bitch-mobile going.

As for Shademp....they worked it out, are talking and doing a "Let's Play" together and working on content for the site. It's been resolved and they're cool. It shouldn't even be anyone's business, especially since it's been resolved and they're cool.

Criticism is one thing. Blatant vendettas and attempts to raise shit because you don't like someone is another.
So whilst whatever grievances you might have won't fall on deaf ears they will be quickly dismissed as shit-stirring, bitching, some vain attempt to further a personal vendetta. Is it any real wonder that people resort to being dramatic when members of staff are so quick to treat the things they are angry or upset about with such contempt?

I'm not going to start calling for yours, Ryu's, or anybody else's metaphorical head on a platter here. But (I'm very sure I've mentioned this is in the past, too) I seriously think you guys on staff should re-evaluate the way you approach the grievances of the member base. Its no good whatsoever to claim to be approachable and want feedback when people are upset, only to show outright exactly how quickly that feedback can be dismissed.

All its doing is cultivating an 'us vs. them' attitude that only gets exacerbated at times like this when the e-shit hits the e-fan and doesn't actually work towards solving whatever issue that started it in the first place.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You're right, and looking back at it now, I came off really fucked up, abrasive, defensive and mean. It didn't help matters at all coming off that way, and you're right. I'm sorry, I really shouldn't have been so short and upset about it.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I'm not trying to crucify you there with that post, man. Like I said, I'm not trying to target anyone directly. But that was the best example I could find of the kind of attitude that shows exactly why people are kind of hesitant about following the proper channels when it comes to expressing problems with the board/staff. People don't think they or their problems are going to be taken seriously, and thats kind of a big deal.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I know, but you do raise a good point, and looking back, I came off really dickish there, so yeah. I'm sorry for that. I don't like coming off abrasive to people I like, respect and care about. Especially if I'm trying to make things better and all that.

All I can say that, is with what we're working on, we hope that it'll be taken seriously and I will personally work on making sure that people can come to me and not feel like getting their heads chewed off or something.

Top Bottom