• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Character Battle SF1: Cloud vs Vivi

Which of these characters do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Elisa Maza

Whomst
I think we can all agree that these two characters are popular and beloved by all the fans. I was really conflicted about my vote and that only shows that yes, compilation fan or not, chibi fan or not, we love these characters.

Shall we leave it on that? I'll give you cookies.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
I think we can all agree that these two characters are popular and beloved by all the fans. I was really conflicted about my vote and that only shows that yes, compilation fan or not, chibi fan or not, we love these characters.

Shall we leave it on that? I'll give you cookies.

Truth be told, I'm perfectly fine with Cloud winning. I like the guy too. It's just that he's not really someone who I'd give a 'pause', as Splintered put it, in a poll against Tifa. With Vivi gone, the finals will be too easy for me. I was hoping to give myself more of a challenge in choosing (but I'd prolly still end up voting for the bartender).

Anyway, this was definitely a nice poll. I had fun.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
honestly, vivi and cloud are very similar characters in a way. both find out they're not who they think they are and if one considers the compilation part of cloud's continuity, then they're also confronted with an inevitable death.

the thing is entirely how they handle it. people point out that cloud was experimented on to become a pliable puppet, but that's essentially what vivi was made for. the singular reason any black mage is created is so that they could be short-lived, mindless soldiers. vivi is only ~1 year old and he's confronted with the fact that he could have been a puppet forced to obey the commands of his master, and then is later confronted with the fact that he has very little time left on the earth due to how black mages are made. but despite the fact he knows he has very little time to live, he continues to fight the main bad guy with the rest of the party. he gains not only confidence and bravery, but he finds a way to prove his existence (through his 'children' and his fight against kuja). even though it's strongly implied that he died by the end of the game, it's a bittersweet feeling because the player knows that he found happiness in the end. he didn't simply give up when he found out he was going to die perhaps in a few months or possibly even in a year. he kept going. he didn't let the fate of becoming an army automaton befall him. he had the strength and the character to preservere what would be impossible for almost anyone his age (physical or actual).

which is why i can say that without a doubt, vivi is my favorite character in the final fantasy series.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
When I think of Vivi I think "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man" :')

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
This only confirms who I'm voting for in the next round. :desu:

Vivi would have been a more interesting match up. But Cloud vs Tifa? Easiest decision to be made yet.

I don't know how these character battles work, but how about having a separate poll where Tifa and Vivi compete for 2nd place?
Cloud versus Tifa is indeed boring, but Tifa versus Vivi could still be interesting even if it isn't for 1st place.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I don't know how these character battles work, but how about having a separate poll where Tifa and Vivi compete for 2nd place?
Cloud versus Tifa is indeed boring, but Tifa versus Vivi could still be interesting even if it isn't for 1st place.
but i don't see how that would work if tifa wins the cloud vs. tifa poll (which she will), and then going for a tifa vs. vivi poll to determine who's in second place

unless tifa wins again and gets first and second place what

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Honestly, I probably like Cloud and Vivi about evenly. Truth is, I think that the Compilation spoiled Cloud's brand for a lot of people. That's not to take anything away from Vivi, but I do think that people might not despise Cloud so much if it had not been for things like Advent Children.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
That's not to take anything away from Vivi, but I do think that people might not despise Cloud so much if it had not been for things like Advent Children.

even taking the compilation out of the equation, vivi's still a better character by miles

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
That would be a bit too convoluted. Tifa reached the final and has the right to compete for 1st place. All the predictions I've heard so far are that she's going to win it, too. It could be argued that Vivi got a tough draw, but that's because he didn't win his group. In fact, he was in the same group as Aerith, and she got six more votes than him. So if I gave Vivi the chance to come second, I would probably have to give it to Aerith as well!

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I think Vivi is the more relateable of the two, I mean I've never been a teenage boy wanting to impress a girl or anything :lol:

But I think we've all been/are little lost souls trying to find our way in the world. Theres a beautiful innocence and fragility about Vivi that makes my eyes rain.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
even taking the compilation out of the equation, vivi's still a better character by miles

Imo idk about "miles", but I do agree that Vivi's a better character.

But leaving Vivi out completely and talking solely about Cloud, I think people probably wouldn't hate Cloud as much.

but i don't see how that would work if tifa wins the cloud vs. tifa poll (which she will), and then going for a tifa vs. vivi poll to determine who's in second place
When it was said that the Cloud vs. Tifa poll would be boring, I assumed that everyone "knew" Cloud would win. I didn't think anyone thought Tifa had a shot, heh.

I will say that I voted for Cloud because he is my favorite between him and Vivi, but I do have more respect for Vivi and his story. In the end, these polls are about which one is your favorite, not which one holds the most quality as far as narration and characterization goes.
Favoriticism does not always stem from a character's merit as a piece of writing hence why I do not regret voting for Cloud.

Vivi is still awesome though.

All the predictions I've heard so far are that she's going to win it, too.
Again, this surprises me. :lol:
Oh well.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
When it was said that the Cloud vs. Tifa poll would be boring, I assumed that everyone "knew" Cloud would win. I didn't think anyone thought Tifa had a shot, heh.
lol wat ur doubting the amount of really sincere tifa fans on the board

Splintered

unsavory tart
Not that Tifa winning isn't wonderful for me or anything but...

I kind of hope someone is willing to do a character popularity contest without the VII characters in it. I kind of want to see how good of a chance Celes/Vivi/Lightning/Balthier have without them around. (not that I don't appreciate the hard work going into this, thanks by the way).

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Not that Tifa winning isn't wonderful for me or anything but...

I kind of hope someone is willing to do a character popularity contest without the VII characters in it. I kind of want to see how good of a chance Celes/Vivi/Lightning/Balthier have without them around. (not that I don't appreciate the hard work going into this, thanks by the way).
No problem :) I think your idea would be interesting. Maybe for another year? Don't want to overkill the concept by doing too much of it at once.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
To be honest as far as writing goes (considering the OG only) I don't think either character is better written than the other.

I find Cloud more relatable, but Vivi is miles more likeable. You'd have to have no heart to not like that kid :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom