• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Dead Space 3

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
dead-space-3-011.jpg

Dead-Space-3-Screen-01062012.jpg

3-1.jpg

gaming_dead_space_3_leaked_screens_5.jpg

Some new details on Dead Space 3 has been revealed from the next Gameinformer issue.

Here are just a few things that are covered in the issue.

Co-op confirmed
No competitive multiplayer in DS3
Now has universal ammo pickups
Cover system added
Co-op will have different cut-scenes and interactions between Isaac and Carver.
Zero space gravity section and dark corridors will be present as they were in previous Dead Space titles.
Fodders & Feeders are a new type of necromorphs.
Visceral games calls these new necromorphs “The snow beast”.
Nexus Feeders is a 30 story tall centipede necromorph. This is “what happens when a human isn’t actually infected by a Swarm or by a Divider heads”
Icy Planet is called Tau Volantis,
Fodder transform into two different necromorphs depending on how you kill them
Ammo drops are more plentiful
They want DS3 to be less linear than 2&1;be able to explore large environments and find “unique beta missions” that aren’t required to complete the main game
You can slap different guns together like a Plasma cutter/Ripper combo,Visceral didn’t say “how exactly these weapon mods work” but GI noticed enemies drop Scrap metal and ‘tungsten’ now.

http://theparanoidgamer.com/dead-space-3-dropping-competitive-multiplayer-release-of-february-2012

Please don't become Resident Evil ;_;

and where the fuck is ellie

/

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Dead Space played like Resident Evil 4 Meets Event Horizon, so, :monster:

30 story tall centipede

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
Holy cow! This sounds really exciting :D! Thanks for the info! Lol, I didn't even know there was news of DS3 until I read this thread ROFL.

~ Raz

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
It's already part-way there.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Dead Space is pretty far from becoming what Resident Evil is.

Or at least it was. The only similarity between Dead Space 1/2 and RE is the third person perspective over the shoulder perspective, it played pretty different from modern day Resident Evil.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Same shooting, camera, movement controls, ammo conservation and weapon upgrading (compared to Resident Evil 4 anyway, RE5 was a bullet farm) atmospheric horror with emphasis on enemy variety and a linear sequence of shocks (not to mention an abundance of Press X To Not Die).

There are more similarities than you might think.

But w/e, as long as Dead Space 3 follows the same conventions as the previous games I won't mind. There's nothing wrong with it, and of course there are plenty of unique things about the series.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Same shooting, camera, movement controls, ammo conservation and weapon upgrading (compared to Resident Evil 4 anyway, RE5 was a bullet farm) atmospheric horror with emphasis on enemy variety and a linear sequence of shocks (not to mention an abundance of Press X To Not Die).

Same shooting and controls? Lol no. For one the controls are a lot more intuitive in DS, allowing you to strafe and move while shooting, and giving you a much more accessible melee system unlike RE, opposed to the shoot enemies in strategic locations to trigger melee bullshit. RE4 was pretty much devoid of horror and was much more of an adventure thriller with a few hair raising sequences. Capcom themselves pretty much said that Resident Evil was much more of an action adventure game now.

As far as the shooting goes, Re4 is about pumping as many bullets into enemies as you can and whittling them down with melee attacks and whatever else you can.

In Dead Space you literally have to cut your enemies apart to defeat them otherwise you're fucked. The game also encourages quick thinking like using the Kinesis module to turn environmental objects into weapons, including the enemies' own appendages.

Actual guns like the plasma rifle are almost useless without major upgrades and strategic shooting with the cutting weapons is much more effective.

While melee was useful for getting some breathing room, or cornering minor enemies and pounding them, ultimately it wasn't something you wanted to use unless you absolutely had to.

Ammo conservation wasn't really a big deal in 4 either. As long as you were killing enemies accurately the bullets kept flowing. Then there were the sections where you pretty much HAD to kill hordes of enemies to progress and ammo was provided pretty plentifully. I only remember worrying about ammo a few times during Professional.

The weapon upgrading isn't a staple of RE either, and it's much more indepth and ingrained in DS's framework opposed to RE's 4 random merchant. You didn't buy upgrades, you found power nodes and allotted them to your preferences instead of finding treasure and selling it to upgrade your weapons.

As far as I'm concerned the only major similarities I see are that they are both meant to be survival horror games and they both use the over the shoulder perspective. I haven't even mentioned the sheer difference in presentation and design.

Sure, thing.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I'll concede strafing and moving while shooting, but the game has the same slow-walk/panic-run movement of Resident Evil 4, and the same sluggish turning speed.
also RE4's melee could also be toggled, it wasn't just QTEs all the time

All in all, Dead Space's shooting is more cerebral, but RE4's modes like Mercenaries similarly required a reliance on ammo conservation, being selective about targets (hands, feet, headshots, thrown weapons) and the limitations of inventory (which would be more comparable between RE5 and DS since RE4 eventually ended up growing into an absurd hammerspace). I've already said that there are certainly divergences in design, but between picking off limbs, quick-time-event kills and escapes and corridor-like level design, there are a fair few similarities that will come with the trappings of the genre.
The very fact that they're both third-person 'survival-horror' shooters predisposes both series towards certain game mechanics.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I'll concede strafing and moving while shooting, but the game has the same slow-walk/panic-run movement of Resident Evil 4, and the same sluggish turning speed.
also RE4's melee could also be toggled, it wasn't just QTEs all the time

DS's camera sensitivity could be upped, and depending your platform turning was a lot more quick. Isaac's run was hardly "slow-mo" panicked I'll give you.

The only melee you can trigger in RE4 without shooting someone was the knife, and it was almost useless.

All in all, Dead Space's shooting is more cerebral, but RE4's modes like Mercenaries similarly required a reliance on ammo conservation,

What

Mercenaries ENCOURAGED a lot more shooting. Ammo conservation didn't play much of a role at all, and the more enemies you killed and the faster you did it the more ammo you got to deal with special enemies. Mercs in 4 and 5 is all about balls to the wall action.

You have to kill quickly and efficiently. Item management plays a lot more of a role than ammo conservation.

I've already said that there are certainly divergences in design, but between picking off limbs, quick-time-event kills and escapes and corridor-like level design, there are a fair few similarities that will come with the trappings of the genre.

Sure thing.

The very fact that they're both third-person 'survival-horror' shooters predisposes both series towards certain game mechanics.

Because Silent Hill, Amnesia, Clock Tower, Haunting Ground and Dead Space have a lot in common right.

That statement is silly.

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
DS's camera sensitivity could be upped, and depending your platform turning was a lot more quick. Isaac's run was hardly "slow-mo" panicked I'll give you.

What I meant was that the default movement was a slow walk and that the sprinting was just a function to run away from things.

You have to kill quickly and efficiently. Item management plays a lot more of a role than ammo conservation.

Sure thing.

Because Silent Hill, Amnesia, Clock Tower, Haunting Ground and Dead Space have a lot in common right.

That statement is silly.

How many of those titles are actually predominantly third-person horror shooters? Besides, predisposition =/= guarantee that they will have these mechanics. What sets these games apart are their unique gameplay features as well as the writing.

I never suggested these games had "a lot in common", merely that there would be some common features - which brings me back to my point that Dead Space could go in the same direction as Resident Evil without too much effort, add some asinine computer-controlled companion or what-not, maybe a group of soldiers sent to investigate something, I don't know.

I'm certainly looking forward to the idea of more non-linear sections, though, but I'm not sure how they could maintain the same style of atmospheric horror they've had.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
God, what happy news to hear. This sounds awesome so far.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
What I meant was that the default movement was a slow walk and that the sprinting was just a function to run away from things.

Sprinting usually is in these kinds of games, even in normal action games.

How many of those titles are actually predominantly third-person horror shooters? Besides, predisposition =/= guarantee that they will have these mechanics. What sets these games apart are their unique gameplay features as well as the writing.

I've been talking in the context of survival horror this entire time, and you've still failed to point out just how RE and DS share any significant similarities.

I never suggested these games had "a lot in common", merely that there would be some common features - which brings me back to my point that Dead Space could go in the same direction as Resident Evil without too much effort, add some asinine computer-controlled companion or what-not, maybe a group of soldiers sent to investigate something, I don't know.

You did imply exactly that.

You're also still wrong, you'd have to go well out of your way to remove a lot of what made DS special to make it more like modern day Resident Evil, like doing exactly the kind of shit you see in the OP.

Unless they handle that kind of crap in a very unique way to the series, it'll wind up being just another run of the mill shooter with monsters, a cover system and co-op.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I've been talking in the context of survival horror this entire time, and you've still failed to point out just how RE and DS share any significant similarities.

I noticed you ignored a couple of my suggestions anyway, so I'm just going to consider that point moot.

You did imply exactly that.

You went off on a tangent to make a point about a whole bunch of other horror games that didn't have a lot in common, and then quote a part where I'm directly referring to 2 very specific games of the genre.

Nice.

Unless they handle that kind of crap in a very unique way to the series, it'll wind up being just another run of the mill shooter with monsters, a cover system and co-op.

You don't really have a lot of faith in videogame designers, do you? Visceral Games has a fair portfolio of games they've done in the past; I'm sure they can carry on the unique aspects of the game into DS3 even with moar action-y elements.

although tbh I was kinda hoping they wouldn't need Isaac anymore since his psychological waifu trouble was kind of finished

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I noticed you ignored a couple of my suggestions anyway, so I'm just going to consider that point moot.

Uh huh.

You went off on a tangent to make a point about a whole bunch of other horror games that didn't have a lot in common, and then quote a part where I'm directly referring to 2 very specific games of the genre.

A tangent, right. You say the games have a lot in common, even going so far as to say they have the same controls and shooting, and that Dead Space is already halfway there to being Resident Evil, and you complete fail to validate that statement and pretty much have only shallow observations to justify what you said. Then you turn right around and say that you weren't trying to say they have a lot in common.

Which is it guy?

You don't really have a lot of faith in videogame designers, do you? Visceral Games has a fair portfolio of games they've done in the past; I'm sure they can carry on the unique aspects of the game into DS3 even with moar action-y elements.

This is a fucking EA game, a studio known for fucking up shit for its developers to make more money. Fuck no I dont have any faith.

Capcom said the same shit about RE5 and it wound up being a total dimensionless bro-explosion co-op shooter that was almost completely unimaginative.

Apprehension is the best way to approach most games these days period.

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I specified all the reasons which I am not going to go into again, discussing similarities (which, mind you, is not the same as saying they're the same)and how Dead Space was part-way there. Unlike you, I'm not talking in absolutes, and if I was, I was being too flippant/making generalisations. I can at least concede that.

The argument about "not a lot in common" was in reference to the genre of horror games in general, which stemmed from your listing of all those psychological/suspense/thriller titles. Games like Clock Tower, Haunting Ground and Amnesia are a different breed of horror gaming not really related to the shootery styles of RE4 and Dead Space, and thus wasn't really relevant to my point.

Don't get me wrong, I can be as cynical as any other average gamer out there, but EA are just publishers, mang. The worst they could do is cut funds and shorten deadlines. I think Visceral Games will do fine with the core concept, but that's not to say I would just buy the game without doing my research first.
Honestly, I think there are people that have lost sight of what a truly bad game actually is, and standards are such that mediocre and average is now equated to 'bad'. As stale as RE5 was, it was functional at the very least. The Gametraders I frequent has a bargain bin of much shittier horror games that wouldn't hold a candle to it. :monster:

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I specified all the reasons which I am not going to go into again, discussing similarities (which, mind you, is not the same as saying they're the same)and how Dead Space was part-way there. Unlike you, I'm not talking in absolutes, and if I was, I was being flippant/making generalisations. I can at least concede that.

No shit we're talking about similarities, not them "being the same" I specifically addressed each one of those supposed similarities that you brought up to express my disapproval with the notion that Dead Space was "part-way" to being resident evil.

I'm not speaking in "absolutes" either so save the accusation bro.

The argument about "not a lot in common" was in reference to the genre of horror games in general, which stemmed from your listing of all those psychological/suspense/thriller titles. Games like Clock Tower, Haunting Ground and Amnesia are a different breed of horror gaming not really related to the shootery styles of RE4 and Dead Space, and thus wasn't really relevant to my point.

Horror games are horror games whether the medium uses shooting or not imo, and thus I consider them relevant. Silent Hill and the original RE have plenty of shooting and those two couldn't be further removed.

Don't get me wrong, I can be as cynical as any other average gamer out there, but EA are just publishers, mang. The worst they could do is cut funds and shorten deadlines. I think Visceral Games will do fine with the core concept, but that's not to say I would just buy the game without doing my research first.

EA has exerted power over a game's production before and they will do it again.

It has fuck all to do with being cynical and it's more about being practical.

The problem with RE5 wasnt that it was a bad game, just that it was a terrible Resident Evil game and a mediocre shooter.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
The only similarities I see between the franchises are the 3rd person perspective and inventory. After that the similarities end.

Tbh I hope they make it more of a horror game than 2, I felt that they dialled it down a lot compared to the original.

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
I WOULD LIKE IT MORE ACTIONY SO THAT I AM NOT CONSTANTLY SHITTING MYSELF

Then again I don't take kindly to any sort of horror video games. ;o;

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
hmmm looks good for the most part

still have some reservations but I'm down

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
I saw Ellie. I am happy.

Also, hoping it amps up the horror in this because from what I've seen, nothing really scary. The co-op takes away from it. And also, the fact that you actually get shot at by those cray cray unitologist people. It's sort of turned into a more bland shooter game, imo. Then there's the fact that the new monsters look less human and therefore, less disturbing. I loved how the necromorphs always looked like they were composed of dead human flesh. It was terrifying. But now it just feels like monsters. :T

I'm still hoping it'll look better with more stuff being released. It doesn't look bad just...not as good as the previous installments.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Co-op is a completely separate option from single player apparently.

Neat.

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
Yeah. Hopefully they release some teaser stuff of the single player because I really want to see how they're going to scare you this time around. And also, the return of dem crazy necromorphs.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Some new info and a single player version of the co-op demo has surfaced

First: "Drop-In Drop Out" Co-Op:

We're doing this differently than its ever been done before, to my knowledge, so it's easy to understand why there'd be confusion.

What it usually means is that when your friend isn't playing, the other character is taken over by a dumb AI that gets in your way all the time or you have to babysit or doesn't revive you when he's supposed to.

In DS3 HE'S JUST NOT THERE. It's just like the classic DS you know and love. There's no banter. This has been extremely tricky (and expensive!) to figure out, but we didn't want to mess up a good thing. Cutscenes and gameplay are different depending if you're playing co-op or not.

We did this because a lot of people said "I think I'd love your game, but it's too intense for me, man!" Instead of making the game less intense, we added this. Think of it like going to a horror movie with your friends instead of alone.
Originally Posted by Monkey Pants:
Cover System:

This isn't a cover shooter. There is no "take cover" button or stuff like that. We do, however have some cool new enemies that can shoot at you. And that left Isaac feeling a little awkward to deal with it, so we added a few new additions to the controls. Crouches and rolls, mostly. The game knows if you're crouched behind something and does some elegant little adjustments to make the presentation smooth. That's about it. You probably wouldn't even notice.

The heart of the game is still strategic dismemberment vs. Necromorphic beasties. We just gave some of them some surprises is all.
Originally Posted by Monkey Pants:
Universal Ammo I can't go into too much detail about, since what we have planned for the weapons is something we'll be talking about later. But it's a big change for the future that I think is really cool, and the ammo thing works in concert with it.

Folks should also check out the GTTV episode

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/159?ch=1

Top Bottom