• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Member Spotlight #3: Ask Octo anything

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
AHHHHH I love that Barry M one, it takes great pride of place in my collection :D

I'm going to guess you're into purple and Mauvey colours then :)?

More questions: What's your favourite childhood cartoon?

What are 3 of your guilty pleasures?

Favourite childhood board game?

What's your favourite Crisp flavour?

Favourite book author and book?

Freya btw too cute to handle!!!

Editing Because I just realised on reading back some of your answers YOU'RE A BOOSH FAN!!!!

FAVOURITE BOOSH EPISODE????

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I'm going to guess you're into purple and Mauvey colours then :)?
Indeed, I just find them very wearable. I like other colours too, but I have olive skin and a lot of them just make me look like I have jaundice.
More questions: What's your favourite childhood cartoon?

I used to love The Real Ghostbusters, and Moomins, and Around the World with Willy Fog - which I don't ever think I saw all of. One day when I'm rich I'm going to get them all on DVD.

What are 3 of your guilty pleasures?
I've given up feeling guilty about stuff :monster: But wanking, and squeezing blackheads (sometimes other peoples -by force!) And stealing music off of the internets - though I haven't done that in a while.

Favourite childhood board game?
Does Pictonary count? Cos I used to fucking ace that - not got a degree in art for nothin'

What's your favourite Crisp flavour?
Just talking traditonal potato crisps? I like sweet chilli, but Salt and Vinegar is awesome too. If we're talking snacks in general - Frazzles, and Flaming Hot Monster Munch. Oh and Chilli Heatwave Doritos - god I'm such a child.....and WOTSITS1111 Ok I think we've established that I'm very indecisive when it comes to favourites :lol:

Favourite book author and book?

I'm shockingly under-read, so I don't even have a favorite, but I'm going with Tolkien, because Hobbit.

Freya btw too cute to handle!!!
:lol: Thanks. That pic was taken when she was 5 months iirc. She looks a lot more feminine now (but she still doesnt have much hair!)

Editing Because I just realised on reading back some of your answers YOU'RE A BOOSH FAN!!!!

FAVOURITE BOOSH EPISODE????

Probably the one where they're marooned on a desert island, with Milky Joe. It's just hilarious because Howards own subconcious won't even let him be happy and his coconut girlfriend is a psycho :lol:

what's your favorite candy bar?

Starbar - it has peanut in it.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Just realised I haven't answered this question.
What's it like being a humanoid female? :monster:

It's a mixed bag, sometimes I actually like being a woman, but other times I get pretty pissed off about a lot of stuff - and since having Freybs I've become more and more angry about a lot of things. I don't believe men have it easy by any stretch of the imagination, but I think women have it worse.

EG. Today I had to go post a letter, and theres a building site right near the postbox and I was fucking dreading it because builders are known for basically sexually harrassing female passers by - and I've experienced that in the past, but I managed to get there without being spotted (I think) and nothing happened. Maybe they wouldn't have said anything - though I'm more of a target because I'm 25% boobs - I don't know, but it pisses me off that that is something I even have to fucking think about in the first place y'know?

I'm not at all fond of the term 'rape culture' because it's too fucking emotive - when you're trying to get people to change their everyday attitudes and behaviour and say 'rape culture' people hear 'you're calling me a rapist?!' and freak out/shut down. I don't think thats productive at all. But the attitude that women going about their daily business are fair game for sexual comments, just because we have the audacity to be visible to the fucking public - its intimidating, its controlling, it forces women to have to change their behaviour/routes to try and avoid that shit, and its unacceptable. My attitude is - if you wouldn't want it done to your mother/sister/wife/nan/daughter/girlfriend - don't fucking do it to any other female. We're trying to have a fucking society here.

lol that turned into a bit of a rant didn't it? But thats just the tip of the iceberg of the stuff that pisses me off :monster:

Having said all that, I don't think I'd really ever want to be a man.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Who were the other members in the spotlight and where do I find their threads for purposes of being a nosy cunt?

One for Telcontar here: if you could fight anybody, who would it be?
I love that you love Heathers (I have a VHS copy of it still). :D Have you ever seen Pump Up The Volume?

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Have you ever played a sport? Do you still play it/them? If not, do you want to take them up again somewhere down the line?

What's your favourite swear word? :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Who were the other members in the spotlight and where do I find their threads for purposes of being a nosy cunt?

Shademp and Kevehs;

http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15763&highlight=spotlight

http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15775&highlight=spotlight

I love that you love Heathers (I have a VHS copy of it still). :D Have you ever seen Pump Up The Volume?
I saw it about 900 years ago, but don't remember much about it. Samantha Mathis was in it right? I'll have to track it down online. It's a shame about Slater's career he had promise...and now he ends up in shite like Alone in the Dark :lol:

Have you ever played a sport? Do you still play it/them? If not, do you want to take them up again somewhere down the line?

Fraid not. School put me off sport (and excercise - though that has changed now) for life. I firmly believe that schools should concentrate on getting kids healthy in whatever way works for them, if you're just thrown in at the deep end 'play netball/football/tennis' and you don't know what you're doing or you're not any good at it you feel a failure before you've even begun, and I don't ever remember a PE teacher giving me pointers in how to improve at any sports we did - you just had a bunch of kids playing where half of them had natural ability and half of them didn't. You write yourself off as 'not a sporty/active person' They should concentrate on getting kids to beat their own records first, competition should come later.

/rant.

But I would like to try Archery, and although I'm fucking shit at it, I like the idea of 10 pin bowling* - just because of The Big Lebowski :monster:

*actually I was fucking awesome at bowling on the Wii.

What's your favourite swear word? :monster:
Cunt :monster: It's just such a great impactful word, and it still manages to upset people. It fascinates me how a word that means the same thing - like fanny or pussy - isn't deemed as offensive as that. It's just illogical, but that's language for you innit?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Is there any particular memorable smell(s) you can recall from your childhood?

Creosote - that sort of grandad's shed type smell.

The smell of newborn puppies and kittens - its an odd, kind of gross, yet comforting smell.

Eden perfume - my mum used to wear it.....actually I might get myself a bottle.

Cabaret

Donator
What are your favourite comedians?
Has your taste in comedy changed as you've grown?
Do you feel a big divide between The Brits and the Europeans? How about the Brits and other English speaking countries?
Do musicals get you going with jazz hands and a wiggly bum?
Re depression, do you feel you're coping with it? What do you do to manage it? Was it hard to adjust to?
How would you like to be disposed of when you die?
did you have a special teddy or summit when you were a kid?
Do you eat grapefruit? If so why?
What cut of jeans do you prefer? bootleg, skinny etc
Are you a high heeler?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
What are your favourite comedians?
Louis Ck is probably my favourite ever stand-up. Other than that TV comedians I like: Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon in the Trip are awesome, as is most of Coogans stuff - Alan Partridge. Everyone who worked on Big Train (Julia Davis, Mark Heap, Simon Pegg) Monty Python - although their films are probably better than the TV show. Chris Morris and the Day Today/Brasseye. Armando Ianucci stuff. Father Ted, the IT Crowd. The Mighty Boosh (though their 3rd series kinda sucked) Peep Show and Mitchell and Webb. I'm probably missing out a lot of stuff here :monster: EDIT: Flight of the Conchords!111

Has your taste in comedy changed as you've grown?
A little, I used to really like Blackadder and Red Dwarf, but when I watch them back now they're a little bit formulaic I guess - they still have their moments though. I still watch Bottom because it's so childish and violent, but it's not deep comedy, and I think thats what I really like now - stuff about socially inept people but thats really nuanced - that I couldn't appreciate as a kid.

Do you feel a big divide between The Brits and the Europeans? How about the Brits and other English speaking countries?
Kind of, I mean I personally would like to feel more European, but this country as a whole is still hanging on to it's sense of 'Britishness' - and nobody can really define what that is, they talk about queuing and 'fair play' as if they are concepts unique to Britain - what?! I think the scandi countries are far ahead of us in a lot of things, I'd like us to be more like that - in general their people seem pretty level headed and straightforward.

I think growing up, America had this romantic pull for me, which is unsurprising when we we're soaking up American culture so much - and when 'home grown' stuff seemed so miserable and low budget - like fucking Kes. But now I think America is basically a shit hole, probably not as bad as some of the other shithole countries - it manages to maintain a facade, but still pretty fucking bad. I wouldn't ever want to visit there.

Do musicals get you going with jazz hands and a wiggly bum?
Not as a rule no, but Little Shop of Horrors is awesome - more musicals should be like that, with a sense of irony. I saw Cats at school, and though it was impressive and a lot of hard work went into it....it's fucking mental innit? And some of the tunes were good, but they don't work for me as songs outside the context of a musical.

Re depression, do you feel you're coping with it? What do you do to manage it? Was it hard to adjust to?
I never really adjusted to it, because I think it has always been with me. I mean, it made sense of how I was and my behaviour as a kid - though it wasn't like there was this great revelation and everybody apologised for just thinking I was a horrible child.

Coping: I don't know. I haven't really pinned down what exact 'flavour' of depressed I am. I don't know that it ever will. Sometimes I read bipolar symptoms, but then I never really do anything truly crazy when I'm on a 'high' The way I cope the most is through avoiding stuff as much as I can - I think my main trigger is anxiety - something (most of the time shit that normal people can deal with easily) makes me anxious - I'm frustrated with myself for being weak - I get angry and lash out/blame others - I feel shitty. Rinse and repeat.

Ergo; In order to stop feeling like that I need to become a fucking awesome person and do everything like a boss and give no fucks. Maybe one day I'll get there, but it's slow progress.

How would you like to be disposed of when you die?
Probably cremated, or whatever is going to be the most environmentally friendly mode of disposal. Or I might donate my body to one of those 'body farms' that forensic scientists train on. That would be kind of cool to just be lying there with fungus growing out of my eyesockets.

I don't want a big stupid church funeral thats for sure, and I want whoever it is who has to deal with it (probably Freybs) to have the easiest time possible. It would be kind of good to be buried under a tree, so the tree could absorb me.
did you have a special teddy or summit when you were a kid?
Yeah, three iirc. A bunny called Blodwyn, a dragon called Llewellyn and a Polar bear teddy called Poly - only Poly has survived, and he looks like shit. I should have him restuffed because his stuffing probably has E.coli in it or something.

Do you eat grapefruit? If so why?
Noooo. I tried to eat a grapefruit once, didn't work out. I am partial to pink grapefruit flavoured squash (that you cant seem to get any more) though.

What cut of jeans do you prefer? bootleg, skinny etc
Skinny/straight leg. I like to be able to tuck them into boots. But real jeans annoy my legs, I only have 2 pairs I wear at the moment - and neither are even proper denim. One is maternity jeans that I adjusted the waistband on. They're fucking comfortable.

I have stumpy chibi legs though, so whatever I wear is unflattering. Except maybe a ball gown or something :monster:

Are you a high heeler?
Yes. I'm 5ft3 and unless I get really skinny (not going to happen) I need the extra height to balance me out, and lengthen the chibi legs.

I try not to give so much of a shit these days. I only wear 3in max heels. I can't be arsed with the skyscraper platforms you see these days. They're fucking uncomfortable and stupid. Right now I'm living in some black wedge sandals - hush puppies - super comfy. I have no desire to deform my feet with crazy shoes :monster:

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
The best decade: 80's or 90's? :monster:

Hard to say, I think when I look back more of the stuff I like was made in the 80's - but it was kind of a shite time to be alive for the average person (in this country anyway) The 90's were kind of shit for me personally as I was a teenager then, and being a teenager is shit for everyone.

I'm going to go with the 80's Because Ghostbusters, Bladerunner, Aliens, Labyrinth, Neverending Story, Goonies etc :monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
But now I think America is basically a shit hole, probably not as bad as some of the other shithole countries - it manages to maintain a facade, but still pretty fucking bad. I wouldn't ever want to visit there.

Aww, we're not so bad! This is coming from someone who's travelled all over the world to know the differences; we're kinda a mess right now, but there are plenty of beautiful, interesting places in the USA worth visiting, and we're one of the nicest people in the world (seriously)!

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Favorite TLS award and why?

What kind of sandwiches do you like, or are you one of THOSE (those that don't like sandwiches, that is)?

If you could be a superhero, who would it be?

What kind of dinosaur are you?

Favorite planet? Corollary: is Pluto a planet iyo?

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Favourite childhood TV show?

Funniest Joke you've ever heard.

What's been your favourite (if you can pick one) 'first' moment with Freya, I.e word, crawl and so on.

If you could rewind one moment in time what would that moment be?

What's your favourite Animal and why?

When you make a sandwich what do you normally put in it.

What's your 'speciality' dish when it comes to cooking?

Edit: I saw Omega's questions after posting mine and had to chuckle at the sandwich one because clearly we think on the same page about what's important in life here :lol:

Cabaret

Donator
RE depression, a friend of mine was misdiagnosed with depression when in fact the diagnosis should have been anxiety. I thought anxiety was a temp thing usually, so I'm not sure if it's peaks n troughs or what. But he seemed more at ease and able to manage it all well with the new diagnosis - not sure if his meds changed though.

When I went insane a couple of years ago a friend linked me to these NHS self help guides: http://www.ntw.nhs.uk/pic/selfhelp/

I remember the anxiety one being actually very good (and not the wanky nhs tick boxing you'd expect.)

Have you ever or would you ever shave your head?
Is there something you'd like to take up but haven't got round to it yet? (Like crowd surfing / playing the saxophone for sexiness / cutting crusts off sandwiches / etc)
Do you take vitamins or do you think they are bollocks?
Is there something you'd like to tell us that hasn't been asked?
Has this process made you realise just how much we adore you? (Cos seriously, we do, you totally make this place light up with the presence of you. You are amazing. :loveglomp: )

BTW so with you on the grapefruit - jeez what was going on with evolution there?!

If you had your own FFVII-type limit break, what would it be called and how would it act out?

Has this process made you realise just how much we adore you? (Cos seriously, we do, you totally make this place light up with the presence of you. You are amazing. :loveglomp: )
QFT

How do you feel about your hair? If you could have any kind of hair you wanted, what would you choose? Bonus points for pic of preferred hair.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Aww, we're not so bad! This is coming from someone who's travelled all over the world to know the differences; we're kinda a mess right now, but there are plenty of beautiful, interesting places in the USA worth visiting, and we're one of the nicest people in the world (seriously)!

Oh I know the people are nice, and the country itself has loads of areas of natural beauty, but stuff like those batshit politicians like Todd Akin saying crazy shit - in the UK you would have to resign for that. But stuff like that seems to happen every other day in the US. Plus it seems to be a really horrible place to be if you're a poor person. I don't claim to know America - but how it appears to an outsider - theres no incentive to go and visit.

Favorite TLS award and why?

Funniest member because I've won it a few times Seriously though 'Best site contributor' and 'Best art/graphics' because it recognises hard work.

What kind of sandwiches do you like, or are you one of THOSE (those that don't like sandwiches, that is)?
Who doesn't like sandwiches? Bodysnatchers thats who! I don't get to eat them often enough but giant sandwiches, on malted bread. The only fillings I don't like are Prawn, or any meat where I'm likely to encounter fat/flobby bits/gristle. Back at college the nearby sandwich place used to giant 'binlid' type sandwiches, and I used to have tuna mayo, cheese, salad and coleslaw - enough sandwich to kill a horse....

If you could be a superhero, who would it be?
Shes a villian - but Mystique. Cos she gets to go around basically in the nip and can shapeshift. Or Rogue - once she gained full control of her powers.

Or Powdered Toast Man :monster:

What kind of dinosaur are you?
A Stegosaurus.....who dreams of being a Liopleurodon.

Favorite planet? Corollary: is Pluto a planet iyo?
Yes Pluto is a planet! :@ Pluto is my fave of our solar system, 'because it's cold and far away' /Rich Hall

Favourite childhood TV show?
Probably Hartbeat - non dumbed down art kids art programme from the 80's.
Funniest Joke you've ever heard.
You know I couldn't even think of one so I had to look one up:
Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says "OK, now what?"

What's been your favourite (if you can pick one) 'first' moment with Freya, I.e word, crawl and so on.
Probably her first laugh. Mr Octo was changing her nappy and he sneezed, and she thought that was hilarious. But also the first time she pulled herself up to standing – I actually managed to get that on video.

If you could rewind one moment in time what would that moment be?

EDIT: didn't realise I missed this one out. Hard to say really. I'd probably go back and study something more useful (career wise!) instead of Art - but then I wouldn't have met the people I met....and though I'm only in touch with a few of them now, I guess they shaped me as a person.

I spend a lot of time regretting the past, but there's not one particular event or moment that I can pinpoint - something that would undo all the shit. I guess that says a lot. I actually used to fantasise about going back in time and killing myself - kind of fucked up I know - but I don't really feel like that any more. So I dunno I guess that shows that I've grown a bit, toughened up a little bit..

Actually, in terms of positive things I think I'd go back and try and spend more time getting to know my grandparents. The last one - my nan died when I was 11, and she'd gone a bit loopy towards the end. I never really knew them as people. My mum and dad (and Mr Octos too - though they live far away) are much more hands on with Freybs. My grandparents never looked after us, or took us out anywhere, probably because they we're too old. So theres that. Off course, they could have turned out to be boring bastards or something :monster:

What's your favourite Animal and why?
There are so many to choose! I like nice little benign mammaly things. Pangolins, Sloths, Anteaters, Tapirs, Lemurs – most monkeys – Aye Ayes. Lorises. Plus I love Beluga whales. Basically anything I could have a cuddle with that wouldn’t try and eat me :monster:
But I like all animals really, except fleas, ticks, wasps and anything that lays eggs in you :vomitmonster:

When you make a sandwich what do you normally put in it.
Tuna mayo more often than not, cos I’m lazy and its a piece of piss to do. If I have any stuff I add salad too.

What's your 'speciality' dish when it comes to cooking?
I’m not much of a cook really. I don’t like anything that takes longer than 20 mins to prep. I do a goats cheese and caramelised onion tart – but it’s ready rolled pastry and the onions are out of a jar. Sweet potato wedges are something I do more often these days – piece of piss....actually I might make those tonight.
Oh I can knock together Thai green/red curries pretty easily. And Lentil soup, thats another easy one.

RE depression, a friend of mine was misdiagnosed with depression when in fact the diagnosis should have been anxiety. I thought anxiety was a temp thing usually, so I'm not sure if it's peaks n troughs or what. But he seemed more at ease and able to manage it all well with the new diagnosis - not sure if his meds changed though.

When I went insane a couple of years ago a friend linked me to these NHS self help guides: http://www.ntw.nhs.uk/pic/selfhelp/

I remember the anxiety one being actually very good (and not the wanky nhs tick boxing you'd expect.)

Thanks, I’ll check it out. I often thing anxiety is at the root of it all – it’s because I get anxious about stuff that I feel like my life is limited, which in turn makes me depressed/angry.

Have you ever or would you ever shave your head?
I never have, and I don’t think I could carry it off – I don’t have a very defined jawline. Sometimes when it’s really hot I think about it though – my hair is so thick its like wearing a wooly hat sometimes.

Is there something you'd like to take up but haven't got round to it yet? (Like crowd surfing / playing the saxophone for sexiness / cutting crusts off sandwiches / etc)
I’d like to get my own potters wheel, I tried throwing a pot on holiday in North Wales when I was 11 and I was pretty fucking good at it (everyone else failed epically) so I’d like to have another go.

Do you take vitamins or do you think they are bollocks?
It’s hard to say. I was taking them all through my pregnancy and I often wonder if they contributed to my sense of wellbeing or if I was just tripping balls on my own hormones. Having said that, my diet is all over the place – theres no way I’m getting my recommended daily amounts of anything – yet I hardly ever get sick, and when I do it’s just bog standard colds/sore throats. So I dunno, maybe it is all bollocks?

Is there something you'd like to tell us that hasn't been asked?
Nothing I can think of offhand. I’m enjoying this, but maybe you guys are going a bit easy on me? Ask some really difficult questions and force me out of my comfort zone :lol:

Has this process made you realise just how much we adore you? (Cos seriously, we do, you totally make this place light up with the presence of you. You are amazing.
Aww shucks...I’m weird about the whole thing, like I really like it when people respond positively to me, but then I kind of feel guilty because I think you guys only see the best side of me. If I went on Big Brother* – people (and the public) would like me at first, but then when I got more comfortable my inner shitbag would appear, and then I’d be voted off and booed to hell. I dunno, I crave approval, but I can never quite believe it.

*not that I ever would, I hate being filmed.

BTW so with you on the grapefruit - jeez what was going on with evolution there?!
A practical joke? :monster:

If you had your own FFVII-type limit break, what would it be called and how would it act out?
It would be called ‘Shitstorm’ or ‘Shitfit’ and would be a Beserker-type attack where I just go crazy and attack over and over until I get K’o’ed. Physical attacks, but also bizzare insults and shouting that cause a variety of negative status effects on the target.

Last edited:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
You, madame, have excellent taste.

Which Mystique/Rogue costumes do you prefer - 90's comics/cartoon, movies, etc?

Top Bottom