• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Tool-Assisted Speedrun Thrad

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Morimoto's run of SMB3, which is probably the single most famous speedrun of any sort in history. It still holds up surprisingly well especially considering things we take for granted like frame advance and memory dumps weren't available yet.

And here's how the game is run now, for comparison:

Note that the new run has subtitles explaining various things about the run.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

Also, Rygar is one of those games that is easier to appreciate any speedrun of when you know how ridiculously difficult it is to play.

Also, my favorite NES game ever as a Real-Time Speedrun.

...aaaaand the Expert Mode as a TAS.

There's also something really magical about watching the Perfect Dark TAS.

X :neo:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I really don't know how he got through that without cracking up even once. There have to be deleted segments where he just loses it. It's just amazing how he managed to play it completely straight through the entire video series.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
100% Zelda II TAS. I've only watched about five minutes of it but it's pretty impressive so far. Not sure why it wasn't submitted to TASVideos.

Also, any% glitched TAS by the same speedrunner. I think it's the town glitch; it's definitely not the Left+Right one.

Oh, also, there's a new Left+Right world record with a new route, which is similar to the route shown by above any% glitched run.

In other recent publication news, it looks there's a new Super Metroid world record as well. I think this is the same glitch I posted in the live speedruns thread, but I haven't watched this film yet.

According to the comments, this version even saves the animals.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Somehow I skipped this SM64 TAS. This was a huge mistake.

This run differentiates itself from the other existing runs of the game by banning a move called the Backwards Long Jump, which enables players to zip through stages at ridiculous speeds but also has the tendency to dominate speedruns to the exclusion of other glitches. This run shows off a number of glitches that don't show up in the 120-star or 0-star runs and also displays notably different strategies in probably fully half the stages. Not every star is notably different but on the whole this movie is well worth watching.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Related to TAS stuff, this is a REALLY awesome explanation of some glitches, and there're probably more that'll explain other things used speedrunning - especially in TAS.

X :neo:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
New SMW glitched TAS in 45 seconds

Also Mega Man in 32 seconds

And Super Metroid in six minutes game time (twelve minutes real time)

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
New Super Demo World TAS. It's like six minutes shorter than the previous one due to heavy glitch abuse and some shrewd route management.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
TAS of some SM64 hack I'd never heard of before. It's pretty impressive.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Secret of Mana got pretty badly messed up in the latest run:

Meanwhile, new S3&K TAS that beats the old time by almost three minutes.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Agreed.

Somebody did a "Sketch Glitch" runthrough of FFVI. It's almost an hour faster than the previous run. I haven't watched it yet, but will do so later.

Lex

Administrator
I like TAS's. I'm trying to find a SMB3 one which there are plenty of, but I want to see All-Stars SMB3, not the original eyesore with the NES ear rape. There are all-stars SMB3 speedruns everywhere, just no TAS's. Also I only like 100% TAS's.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
See this one (which I think I may have posted already, but I'm not sure). Unfortunately, it doesn't do every stage, but it is warpless. It's also not a pure speedrun, which in my opinion only makes it more interesting.

Lex

Administrator
My favourite thing about TAS's is when they do crazy stuff to the beat of the music or the 96 exit SMW run in HD that I watched yesterday where the person released all of the powerups and ran through the level (scrolling level) while keeping them all on-screen but avoiding them.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Agreed.

Somebody did a "Sketch Glitch" runthrough of FFVI. It's almost an hour faster than the previous run. I haven't watched it yet, but will do so later.
I watched the last 45 minutes of that today - everything after Relm joins the party, basically - because I didn't have time to watch the whole thing. Really interesting. I love seeing glitches exploited creatively, and using Bababreath is a stroke of genius.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
In the spirit of the super-glitched FFVI run, here's a similar run for FFIV.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
This is not tool-assisted but I didn't know where else to put it.

Even with the explanations it's still a lot of WTF. :lol:

Top Bottom