• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Although, what do you think about random encounters? Will they do it? Or will it be like XIII where you can see the enemies but it still takes you to a battle screen?

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Assuming it's 1:1 remake and not a reimagining with lots of changes, I want multiple game modes.

Remake
- AXB combat system from FFXV with enemies visible on maps.
- Third person camera in towns, dungeons, and the overworld.

Remaster
- Classic ATB combat system with random encounters.
- Fixed camera angles in towns and dungeons.

It would definitely take more work to do, but I think if they build the game as a more-or-less open world RPG with the AXB system in mind, then creating an alternate "remastered mode" would be relatively easy, and giving the audience the option would pay dividends.

Simply build the ATB system using the animations and resources created for the AXB system, replace visisble enemies with random encounters, and rig town and dungeon environments with fixed cameras to replicate the maps of the original game.

That would be perfect, to me.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
There's no way they go an FFXV direction with it, no way. MAYBE a faster 13-sorta thing? But, really, if they actually intend to get this out by 2017, it would be a lot more time efficient to just polish up the existing battle system and leave it. Maybe they could let you set it between a classic style and different one.

Assuming they leave it, I wonder what sort of things they might do with the materia system? Triple-linked slots?
Triple-linked slots? That would be so much fun...

Speaking of materia, the Enemy Skill materia... That thing was so much fun to go around the world after you got each one and learn all those moves on it. And the item system... I want that back. We haven't had an item system that fun to play with in a while.

Basicly, I want combat options like we had in the OG....

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I still find it very hard to believe they would go full AXB. I feel like that would add a lot of development time. I COULD see something more like XIII or X-2 though.

Either way, I agree that being able to toggle your combat system would be the perfect solution. And it would be extra easy if it works like XIII in that the enemies are on screen but still goes to an instanced arena.

As for camera, people have always assumed that you HAVE to give a free camera, but I'm not sure that's absolutely necessary. Games like FFX or Devil May Cry utilize fixed or semi-fixed cameras and still play fine.
Or you could give free camera range at times, like the world map or even dungeons, but keep that oppressive feeling in the slums with a fixed camera?

That said, I'd be lying if I didn't say that specific trailer made wandering the slums with a view right behind Cloud a very exciting prospect.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
I want the W-Item glitch. That was so helpful xD

I would like a static camera, in the same places that they are in the original, with the option of disabling it and moving the camera around your surroundings.

More close-ups of Tseng. I'd like to see the conflicting emotions on his face, the struggle between love and duty, when he bitch-slaps Aerith.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
^And he better slap her too. I don't want none of this political correctness gone mad nonsense where dropping 1000's of tonnes of twisted metal on an entire town is ok but slapping a woman is forbodden even by a bad guy :monster:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
I still find it very hard to believe they would go full AXB. I feel like that would add a lot of development time. I COULD see something more like XIII or X-2 though.
The XIII trilogy was built using Crystal Tools for last gen hardware, while this will almost certainly be using Luminous Engine 2.0.

They've already built all the necessary systems for FFXV, so that would cut down on development time, if anything. AXB certainly isn't a given, but keep in mind that FFXV was Nomura's vision for the future of Final Fantasy, and he left that project to direct this remake. He seems to prefer open world with real time combat.

But, that's why I feel making both options available to players would be the best. Given how critical fans are sure to be of the game, giving them the chance to experience it both ways would garner a lot of good will, and broaden the potential audience.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That's true, though this is ostensibly not about the future of Final Fantasy, but the past. But either way, I agree that being able to toggle it makes the most sense. Then you don't piss off the people who want their old school ATB FF7 just with updated graphics and maybe some new materia, but people who are bored by the old stuff can play a faster system.

And nice discussing FF7 with you again, Suzaku :monster:

@Tets, I don't know if they confirmed that, but CyberConnect2 was apparently working on a "photorealistic RPG" with the Unreal Engine, so that seems likely.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
^And he better slap her too. I don't want none of this political correctness gone mad nonsense where dropping 1000's of tonnes of twisted metal on an entire town is ok but slapping a woman is forbodden even by a bad guy :monster:

Yes. This.

This would be everybit as ridiculous as
batmancap_zps86fa5bb7.jpg

Also there's a lot of obviously racey stuff as people have already mentioned (Wall Market, I mean let's be honest here, though I find a disproportionate number of people are talking about wanting to see Cloud's drag in HD. Whatever floats your Bronco, I guess).

I wonder how much of that gets changed. And let's face it, I don't know if Squeenix still has their sense of humor with FF7. I mean in every thing they've done they treat it with kid gloves and make sure nothing shatters Cloud's badassery. So I wonder if that will even be left in.

But yeah other stuff like Tifa's dress, Yuffie and Elena in bondage and being basically on the verge of becoming sex slaves... pretty much everything having to do with Don Corneo is a huge no no and I won't be surprised if they dummy him into generic mobster without the sexual fetishes.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
But all of that stuff was more racy in 1997. After all, the most popular show on TV is brutalizing/murdering/raping children every Sunday night.

The tone will be different, yes. But I think you could absolutely do it well, and Cloud being out of his element/uncomfortable could still allow for levity and not let it get TOO depressing while simultaneously really showing how awful the Midgar slums really are, instead of just being told they are.

But yes, you have things like the silly sound effect it makes with the Don thrusts his hips at Tifa that would probably have to go.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Here's what I'm hoping for:

1. Blood where appropriate. While I can accept omission of blood in Aerith's death scene for aesthetic reasons, the lack of it in CC's rendition of the Nibelheim incident seriously bugged me.

2. "Finger? What the hell?"

3. Every article of clothing for crossdressing affects Cloud's appearance when he puts it on (including visible makeup).

4. That the Wall Market segment stays relatively the same as it was in the OG (except maybe some of the Honey Bee Inn stuff). I'm sure anyone playing the game should be able to handle it and all the other stuff.

5. That the sight of HD Corneo not be the most traumatizing thing in the game.

6. Better Fort Condor minigame.

7. The dolphin jumping and parade segment remain as silly as ever.

8. Vincent's coffin lid continues to defy gravity in the scene where you meet him.

9. Vincent and Yuffie show up in cutscenes

10. Hojo's boss fight continues to look horrifying

As for the safe thing, I don't see how they can't just let the monstrosity jump out as if it could actually fit in there.

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
Yes. This.

This would be everybit as ridiculous as
batmancap_zps86fa5bb7.jpg

Also there's a lot of obviously racey stuff as people have already mentioned (Wall Market, I mean let's be honest here, though I find a disproportionate number of people are talking about wanting to see Cloud's drag in HD. Whatever floats your Bronco, I guess).

I wonder how much of that gets changed. And let's face it, I don't know if Squeenix still has their sense of humor with FF7. I mean in every thing they've done they treat it with kid gloves and make sure nothing shatters Cloud's badassery. So I wonder if that will even be left in.

But yeah other stuff like Tifa's dress, Yuffie and Elena in bondage and being basically on the verge of becoming sex slaves... pretty much everything having to do with Don Corneo is a huge no no and I won't be surprised if they dummy him into generic mobster without the sexual fetishes.

It has to be in there or else it's not an FF7 remake.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Starling said:
3. Every article of clothing for crossdressing affects Cloud's appearance when he puts it on (including visible makeup).

I have no idea how this kind of stuff works in games, but it will be interesting to see how they do this. FF generally hasn't done this sort of Tales thing unless the entire outfit changes, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a generic Cloud-in-dress like it was in the original. But games like the Witcher are rather photorealistic and you can see accessories hanging off of him and stuff. Will be interesting.

I imagine the sword would always be visible on his back, hopefully it changes based on what you have equipped.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I imagine the sword would always be visible on his back, hopefully it changes based on what you have equipped.

Eh, that's something they might go the way of FFXV with just to save on rendering. I mean let's face it the whole energy weapon business of Noctis's is just a way to legitimize "the magic satchel" effect.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
And that's fine for someone like Aeris. But Cloud, Tifa, and Barret basically have their weapons as part of their outfit. I mean Zack wore his sword through all of Crisis Core.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
I want an open world. No menu screen where you select locations. I want to fly the Highwind around the world and explore. Also, they need to depict Cloud properly. He should start out being very different from the Cloud we have seen in all the compilation material and spinoffs. He needs to be cocky and arrogant at the beginning of the game, only caring about getting paid, etc. They have to do his transformation justice.

I also want an M rating. I don't know if Square will do it, but given how Barret and Cid talk, blood, as well as the racy stuff, I don't know if a teen rating would be enough.

I also agree they need to integrate Yuffie and Vincent completely.

Dangerous Toast

Rookie Adventurer
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am hugely excited by this announcement. But I am going to set my expectations to realistic/low.

I am not sure any remake will capture the 'wow' I felt from playing FF7, in the same way no MM0 has captured the feeling of vanilla WoW. Despite both games flaws they opened up a story and type of game play I really connected with.

So, things I would like to see.

1) Improved graphics. Something easily achievable, the thought of seeing those 2D environments re imagined hugely appeals to me.

2)Broadly the same plot. I expect certain things to be cut, cross dressing/stereotyping of homosexuality even the swearing. I imagine we are looking at a game for 15+ age range, maybe younger not just those of us now who are in our late 20s, 30s or older.

3) DLC. I always felt FF7 had the scope for so many stories to be told, every character could have a thousand stories. Expanding these characters would be fantastic.

4) Looking to the future, I would love to see a more FF7 sequels, that world has so many stories and places that deserve exploration. There are not many games that have been raved about for almost 20 years that effectively been stand alone games.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
While I don't mind if they allude to stuff from the Compilation - maybe a mention of Angeal/Genesis, or a passing comment about old Turks - for the most part I hope they avoid it, because the Compilation as a whole is still a mess. No Genesis at the Nibelheim reactor, plz.

Other than that:
- very open to them playing with the combat system a bit, though I'd still like turn-based to be at least an option
- all of the OST orchestrated. They can add more tracks but they better include all the originals
- Vincent and Yuffie in cutscenes. Make their acquisition mandatory tbh, the story is richer for them
- Be able to switch your party around a la FFX, but maybe lock in characters (or at least start with them in the party) for battles that are important to individual character arcs (ie Vincent for fighting Hojo)

I'm really hoping they'll include literally every scene from the original, though I don't expect that will be the case. As some people have already mentioned, will probably depend on what rating they go for.

Dangerous Toast

Rookie Adventurer
I am going to be honest, I enjoyed Crisis Core. But I take the view that each story is told how the 'main cast member' recalls it. This gives some artistic freedom. We have the basic story but the connection between characters has some flexibility.

FF7 remade might allow a stronger connection between crisis core/FF7 and then going forward into DoC.

Oh, I want Chocobo racing in the remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom