Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Nobody

local roach
Seriously speaking, the WEAPON fights will probably function similarly to how the summon fights will function in FFXV. The combat system may not be exactly the same, but Square has clearly been putting thought into the logistics of massive boss battles, being that Leviathan/Titan were thrown into the trailers for promotional sake.

hian

Purist
The thing about story-telling, is that it's considered poor form/bad writing to add focus points to story that don't pertain directly to narrative being told -
that is to say, for example, if you're writing a detective novel, you don't write a paragraph focusing on an object that is of no real relevance, that for instance draws focus away from important clues such as to who the culprit is, or what the murder weapon was.

In relation to FFVII more directly though - a compilation tie-in like the compilation Buster Sword hiding underneath the guard of the original sword is a tie-in that is self-explanatory even to people who didn't play Crisis Core, because the reveal can be directly tied to flash-backs of Zack wielding the compilation version upon his death.
Having the camera shift to an apple in the Nibelheim reactor on the other hand would be bad writing, because it does no such thing.
As long as Genesis as a character does not appear in the remake, nor his scene with the apple, the appearance of the apple itself becomes an unanswered question in the minds of everyone who takes notice of it who didn't play CC, and depending on how dominant that object becomes in the scene, that could be a lot of people - and that would be bad writing.

Now, bad writing isn't exactly beyond Nojima, or anyone else at SE. Games also have a tendency to add Easter eggs without much concern for how it impacts the "quality" of the writing as a whole - after all, games are games, not novels.
It's a relatively minor issue generally speaking.
That being said, I think there are much better ways to make tie-ins to the compilation (such as the Buster Sword thing) and I'm not sure how much purpose it would serve to forcefully try to make tie-ins to things in the compilation that has/had no bearing on the original plot.

I mean, CC is Zack's story - not Cloud's. Genesis and Angeal are not important for the plot of FFVII (after all, they were added later for the sake of fleshing out Zack's story - not for the sake of filling holes in FFVII's story).

Are there ways to tie them into the plot of FFVII? Sure, but if they're going that route I'd prefer if they did it in a more meaningful way than put apples in reactors, or a file you may or may not read in the Shinra HQ data-base where the only purpose of the tie-in becomes a *wink-wink-nudge-nudge* to people who played a game that's only available as a physical copy for PSP.
And, based on Nomura's statement to Famitsu about the lack of clarity in the compilation, I do think they intend on making tie-ins that attribute to a stand-alone story that can be easily followed by both old fans and new alike - not a story that spends time and effort making obscure winks at people familiar with the compilation.

As for the weapons fighting -
It's not like gaming has moved beyond hitting large monsters in the feet repeatedly until they die (Xenoblade series), so it's not like that's a real problem regardless of how they choose to handle it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I didn't gather he meant for the camera to momentarily focus on an apple. I think he just meant as something you could spot in the background if you looked. And given the more more detailed areas that it looks like they're going for, it need not standout all that prominent and would be more of an example of an "easter egg" rather than "bad writing."

But, as I said before, I agree that Genesis is not pertinent to FF7's plot and therefore would not be a "retcon" if he did not appear.

Diamonddark

SEPINHORF LIVES!
AKA
Rich
Giant and epic battles vs ICO-style monsters would be high up my list. Climbing them somehow to reach specific points would be great - AC boost style. A risk-system could be put in place so to cause fatal damage should one fall from a great height, but in contrast, a team-mate could 'save' you, magically, or otherwise.

I'd also like to see more NPC involvement, or at least show them to be more interactive and intelligent. Eventually get to know who are saving the world and maybe offer their help, items, room for resting etc. Share better stories, task us etc.

Diamonddark

SEPINHORF LIVES!
AKA
Rich
Also - I hope the underwater part of the world is kept and enhanced on. Probably spent more time there than anywhere else.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
So I've been replaying FFVII and I'm currently running around the Shinra building with dead bodies and blood everywhere and a headless Jenova on the loose, and all I can think is man, this scene is going to be so awesome on the PS4.

Then you find the President murdered and Rufus makes his grand entrance.

I need this now.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
So I've been replaying FFVII and I'm currently running around the Shinra building with dead bodies and blood everywhere and a headless Jenova on the loose, and all I can think is man, this scene is going to be so awesome on the PS4.

I need this now.

It'll get censored / neutered, I'm telling you :monster:. No FF game ever had anything like that since then. IIRC

Lex

Administrator
It begins with a murdered chocobo bleeding and weakly "kweh..."ing on the ground with its dying former master. Most disturbing FF intro ever.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Type-0 was actually quite violent, bloody, and dark at times.
That's actually what has me hopeful that they wouldn't water down much of the contents.
If Sephiroths' skewering scenes are rendered somewhat realistically, we could end up with some pretty graphic content, for one thing.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

I need this now.

It'll get censored / neutered, I'm telling you :monster:. No FF game ever had anything like that since then. IIRC

Not necessarily. Think about the beach after Operation Mi'ihen in FFX. There were dead bodies all over. This scene could be handled in very much the same with, just with more creep factor.

Aya Lee

Pro Adventurer

I need this now.

Oh jeez, I was telling another friend of mine that I couldn't wait for that as well. What if they actually SHOW the headless Jenova walking around like some demonic bloody grudge. Okay, I can dream... but still.

SO. MUCH. POTENTIAL.

:pleasebeexcited:

Last edited:

e.suna

little nerdling
I just had a thought. Customizable homes and things are all the rage in games right now. What if you could do something similar with the villa in Costa del Sol?

I always thought purchasing the villa felt anticlimactic in the OG. You sell a mastered All materia to get enough funds, you buy the thing, Cloud renames it the Villa Cloud (what a narcissist!), and...that's it. You own a house that you don't revisit for the rest of the game because there is nothing to do with it. You don't even need to use it for a free inn because you still have so much money after selling the All materia!

Not that the remake should try to be like other games, but it might be nice to be able to make the villa your own somehow. Maybe displaying things out of your own inventory, like hanging weapons on the wall or finally having a place to show your 1/35 soldiers? :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Kind of like in Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood? You can buy art that is displayed on your walls. Your armor and weapons are also put on display in your home.

P

pearl02556

The scene of Rex XIII's father to be as emotionally devastating as in the original.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm looking forward to the enemies in the pagoda being actual Wu Sheng samurai/ninja masters...rather than random monsters. I imagine Yuffie will be fun to control as well with lots of speed and flips and stuff.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I think it'd be cool if they still transformed but were all unique. I don't really want to let go of that whole Asura thing Godo turns into.

Diamonddark

SEPINHORF LIVES!
AKA
Rich
Random thought: Just IMAGINE what could be done with Battle Square, both in single-player mode and online multiplayer... Lordy lord!

P.S. how do I put an image under me name??...can't get an image down to 9.8kb :(

lentils on lent

Lv. 25 Adventurer
How can they rewrite the Gi cave to make more sense? The basics make sense enough...

• The Gi were a tribe of evil things that attacked Cosmo Canyon
  • Seto fought them off and got turned to stone
  • Bugenhagen sealed off the cave, presumably to keep the Gi ghosts out of the village.
But Bugenhagen only sealed the cave on one side. On the other side there is a rear entrance that leads to an open valley where Seto is. Except the rear is sealed off by a big evil statue face thing... so... Seto drove the Gi into the cave through the rear (towards the village) and the Gi sealed themselves inside with a big evil statue face while Bugenhagen simultaneously sealed the front entrance of the cave before the Gi could make their way into the village? Meanwhile Nanaki's mother fought the Gi in a different location than Seto (he supposedly abandoned her on the front line to head off the enemy at the rear), which implies the Gi attacked from another point besides than the rear of the cave, but Seto supposedly kept the Gi from "taking one step into the canyon." I can't for the life of me figure out how any of it adds up.

Even more bizarre is that Nanaki grew up hating his father and Bugenhagen never noticed this or commented on it until you arrive there with your party. Bugenhagen says he promised Seto not to tell anyone the truth of what happened? Why would Seto want that? And Bugenhagen ultimately breaks his promise anyway.

e.suna

little nerdling
Even more bizarre is that Nanaki grew up hating his father and Bugenhagen never noticed this or commented on it until you arrive there with your party. Bugenhagen says he promised Seto not to tell anyone the truth of what happened? Why would Seto want that? And Bugenhagen ultimately breaks his promise anyway.
When you put it that way, yeah, that's quite a plothole. But I am hesitant to have it changed, unless it still results in one of the top 5 most amazing and emotional scenes in the game. The reveal is just that good, and inevitable, and heartbreaking. And when Nanaki starts howling/crying up at his dad.... :'(

*goes on a feel trip*

Starling

Pro Adventurer
There's a possibility that Nanaki kept quiet about how he felt, grew to resent his father over time or that Bugenhagen didn't realize it was as bad as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom