• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

What makes Final Fantasy VII special to YOU?

Pixel

The Pixie King
New video I wrote with CrashOuch/Sara, going into why people form a personal connection with FFVII and its characters.

This video is fabulous! Thank you so much, pixel and sara, for putting into words exactly what it is that makes this game so special. I've shared it on tumblr (with all my 61 followers!).

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Vader, we gotta bring this up in the next podcast. Our good friend Sara has come up with something pretty awesome here (with Pixel's help of course). This was a great video guys!

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Lack of straight answers about stuff only really bugs me when it comes to contradicting information claiming to be canon or misunderstandings that could've been avoided with clearer information. What's said in the video seems to involve show rather than tell, which was unfortunately not mentioned. Taking the Jenova example used, the game shows that Jenova isn't a cetra, even though it still leaves details like Jenova's exact origins beyond coming from space up to interpretation.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Wow I never thought about it that way

The sometimes ambiguous nature of the game did help alot. I know the Christopher Nolan movies get heat for using too much exposition and explaining too many things. By the end of Interstellar most of the mystery/mystique is gone and theres really nothing left to talk about.

And to answer the question, yeah, there is no one thing that makes FF7 special to me. Its a combination of many things that came together just right

Diamonddark

SEPINHORF LIVES!
AKA
Rich
A great explanation of how the Japanese mindset works. One that will resonate with all fans of the game, but also with fans of Japanese Anime as they too are filled with very ambiguous/grey area theme's, stories and patterns; Good and evil are not always so clear and love is never simple. A great example is 'Princess Mononoko'.

Vito

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Great video.

For me the story, characters and music made the game. The OST is easily one of the best in gaming.

Airling

Ninja-Fairy-Jedi-Princess
That was a nice video.

satisfied.gif

aszach01

Pro Adventurer
It was my first FF game...the graphics blew me out at that time (well technically if you played games from Famcom, Nes, Snes you know what I mean). I think as a child I was a typical fanboy liking the main character and as I grow older the characters still were attached to me even as I mature and started to challenge myself in terms of what being a good character is, in terms of quality written ofc. I just couldn't drop or go against the character or the game that I grew and love.

The story is good (but there are a lot of fiction story out there that are far better) and so were the characters even though there are much more better quality written character out there id still be biased when it comes to FF7.

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
Vader, we gotta bring this up in the next podcast. Our good friend Sara has come up with something pretty awesome here (with Pixel's help of course). This was a great video guys!

Thank you!

Your good friend Sara feels it's important to point out, however, that this was really all Pixel. He put so much work into it and the idea was all his, he obv recorded the narration and put together all the amazing visuals that totally match up with what's being said and everything else. All I did was help him articulate it.

So glad people like it though! Now we just need to make EVERYONE watch it :D

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Thanks for the video, folks :)
Personally I wouldn't mind if some elements are exposed with less ambiguity to avoid the kinds of misunderstandings Starling was mentioning.
I really appreciated how the OG was placing all the pieces of the story puzzle for the player to reconstitute the whole of it, and I would enjoy the same kind of construction for the remake. I find there are 2 kinds of pitfalls the remake should avoid, however, both being (unfortunately) presented in more recent productions of Square Enix:
- In FF XIII, you would see a particular cutscene, and later you could find a "chapter summary". One of my big gripes with FF XIII is that chapter summaries were recounting a fairly different description of some situations that were shown in the cutscenes (ie., a character looks angry in a given cutscene, and the summary states the character was surprised - I can't recall actual examples though, my brain decided to erase most of my memories of this game). To me, it made the story very clunky and incoherent.
- Have events shown in such a vague manner that you can hardly make any sense out of it. Example: Type-0 ending. IMO if you have to search the internet to find beginnings of explanations of what you've seen, it means the cutscenes were poorly executed.

Aya Lee

Pro Adventurer
I just wanted to add that 6:44 - 6:49 made me laugh out loud. I am not used to that tone of voice and it was unexpected! The background music made it funnier. Nice one, guys! :lol:

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I just wanted to add that 6:44 - 6:49 made me laugh out loud. I am not used to that tone of voice and it was unexpected! The background music made it funnier. Nice one, guys! :lol:

I was trying to figure out what he said at 6:47..

I believe he says, "Shippers be cray-cray~" as in crazy. :lol:

Ahhh, I have not heard "cray-cray" in so long! It totally didn't come to my mind. Now it's clear as day :lol: I really enjoyed the video though.

As for what makes FF VII special to me. I fell in love with the characters and their designs. I was just getting into anime at the time the game was coming out; I didn't really know much about it, but I remember calling a video game store to see if they had a Final Fantasy VII anime.. because my thinking was, if Japan made a Pokemon anime, maybe Final Fantasy VII has one too :P The guy said no, but they had the FF: Legend of the Crystals OVA. I tried to get anything FFVII related from getting the Bandai figures, the soundtrack, and laminated posters being sold in Chinatown. The story was amazing to see unfold at the time I was watching my cousin and brother play it. Like others, the music was something unlike I ever heard in a game. So many memorable melodies; I would listen to the soundtrack as I did my homework after school. During college, FFVII was still on my mind and when FF: Spirits Within came out, I remember feeling sad and thinking there should be some Final Fantasy VII anime or movie instead of that. A few years later, Advent Children was in the works and I've never been so hyped for a movie in my life. I only wish I had shown it to the anime club I was running before I graduated. This movie made me wonder how the original game would've looked like. I have not played an RPG since playing little bit of FFX; eventually I stopped gaming. I would watch videoclips, but not invest the time. But now that the remake is happening, this has rejuvenated me to play it once again when it comes out. Perhaps that's kind of a reason why I'm not too mad about the multi-part idea, because I'm not the hardcore-hating gamer. I'm just hardcore for Final Fantasy VII.

RedFFWolf

Donator
I had a rewatch and realised I never took the time the first time to say well done to you both, Sara and Pixel; I really enjoyed the video. But I'm glad I didn't then, 'cause I wanna follow up on the description in the video and answer a little here on what FFVII means to me.

After playing a bit of FFVII tonight, I feel the need to get something off my chest, and maybe only because I'm on a FFVII Forum - especially since I cannot explain the following in full.

I love this game. Period. But an element of it—and I mean element in the most ambiguous manner possible, whereby element=a thing/aspect/story/character/music etc. and etc.—"gets to me" more often than not. Forgive my language, but as much as the game has been a positive impact, this element in question has been a fucking nightmare.

It's a case of confusion, you could say, whereby this element crept into my reality in a way that messed me up big time at one point - dark times that would do nothing but ruin the mood of this thread.

And this same element is also what makes the game special.

And even then I cannot fault the game (any issues pertaining to, for example, graphics, gameplay or plot---all these crucial elements---aren't enough to deter my liking of it,
I'm by no means a crazed enthusiast who won't hear criticism of it. Far from that. I understand, accept and appreciate considered flaws; they're just not strong enough for me to consider it something I'd like to see fixed, and that's purely personal
). I'm playing it right now. And I still think back to those darker days whenever I begin a certain section of the game.

Anyway, I just feel a little better getting this out onto some "meta-paper", and again probably felt appropriate given the forum and video etc.. What a messy relationship :D
My apologies for what was essentially a selfish use of the platform to speak (a part of this was akin to that "I have a secret but not telling you” kind of annoyance :P - so, again, my apologies).

Thus back to the original comment with a meaningful kudos again :)
And, yeah, it's special to me 'cause it really has had a big impact on my life.

I didn't want to post this by the time I had written it, but I thought if at least one person could appreciate it, then that's enough. Otherwise, please ignore and forgive my ramblings.

Last edited:

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
Red, man, it's awesome it means so much to you and had such a big impact :D but I'm also sorry that part of it has some kind of not-so-great connotations for you. I'm really glad you can still enjoy it regardless and that your post made you feel better as well :)

Consider me at least one person appreciative of your post and thanks for watching the video!

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Great examples. ^_^
One of my favorites that you mentioned was the fact that the history if the Cetra and JENOVA is so vague. I have lots and lots of questions about who/what JENOVA really is...where exactly she came from...what her true form is, if she has feelings, etc...

And I always pictured Aerith as sort of bossy and outspoken...I suppose because I haven't read too many (if any, at all) FFVII fanfics maybe my opinion her her isn't tarnished. :D I prefer to look at fanarts of Tifa, I think because I found her much easier to relate to as a quiet/soft spoken sort of girl.

Now...FFVII isn't my favorite game. I think a lot of what makes it special to me is the childhood nostalgia. Part of that nostalgia is credited to my time at ACF. To be quite frank...I enjoyed FFVII, but I didn't like Advent Children, never played Dirge of Cerberus...only sort of enjoyed Crisis Core...the whole compilation just doesn't do it for me. In fact....I think I'd rather be playing Breath of Fire or Legend of Legaia than FFVII. :wacky: It is one of my all-time favorites, but not THE favorite. :D So, as I said, a lot of the "special" factor is ACF/community related.

Aside from the community involvement, I became so wrapped up in both Nobuo's music and Amano's art with my introduction to the FF series through VII. Throughout all these years, they are both two of my favorite artists in their respective fields. They both inspire and motivate me to create my own art, and soon - very soon....(I'm taking baby steps) I'll be able to express some of my Nobuo love with my own musical un-talent. :D

RedFFWolf

Donator
Red, man, it's awesome it means so much to you and had such a big impact :D but I'm also sorry that part of it has some kind of not-so-great connotations for you. I'm really glad you can still enjoy it regardless and that your post made you feel better as well :)

Consider me at least one person appreciative of your post and thanks for watching the video!

Thank you :properhug:
I do feel surprisingly better just saying it here, 'cause I've really never said anything like it anywhere else before. (I'm also not as bad about it all anymore, just something last night triggered a reminder)

And Sara, you're an absolute legend of the highest order :) And I mean that!

Now...FFVII isn't my favorite game. I think a lot of what makes it special to me is the childhood nostalgia. Part of that nostalgia is credited to my time at ACF. To be quite frank...I enjoyed FFVII, but I didn't like Advent Children, never played Dirge of Cerberus...only sort of enjoyed Crisis Core...the whole compilation just doesn't do it for me. In fact....I think I'd rather be playing Breath of Fire or Legend of Legaia than FFVII. :wacky: It is one of my all-time favorites, but not THE favorite. :D So, as I said, a lot of the "special" factor is ACF/community related.

I agree with ya on the Compilation. I just couldn't feel much of a hint of the same spirit/spark of the original.

Aside from the community involvement, I became so wrapped up in both Nobuo's music and Amano's art with my introduction to the FF series through VII. Throughout all these years, they are both two of my favorite artists in their respective fields. They both inspire and motivate me to create my own art, and soon - very soon....(I'm taking baby steps) I'll be able to express some of my Nobuo love with my own musical un-talent. :D

We've seen the incredible visual art, now we all look forward to the audible side! ^_^ I wager I don't speak alone when I say we've no doubt ya can do it!

[Off-topic-ish P.S. - If you plan on recording with the Yamaha, transferring MIDI files onto the keyboard and playing them back on a slow tempo is a great way to learn songs (as it should display the keys being hit - edit MIDI files beforehand if needs be for choice of instruments), I've found. Play, pause, back a step, play, pause etc. :D)

Last edited:

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
And Sara, you're an absolute legend of the highest order :) And I mean that!

Pffff, sshhh, c'mon, I didn't even do anything ... :P Thanks man! <3 you are very exceptionally awesome yourself!

@Howl: Already love your artwork so I'm stoked to hear anything at all that might be coming our way from you! Good luck!! :D

Last edited:

Diamonddark

SEPINHORF LIVES!
AKA
Rich
It's special to me for so many damn reasons. Starting with that it was my first PS1 game. I didn't know anything about FF and when my mother told me to choose a game to go with the console, It was between FF7 and....Die Hard Trilogy. Yep. It could have been so different. I later bought DHT and enjoyed it.

In a way, FF7 ruined gaming for me. Every single story related or adventure game is compared to it and always loses.

The characters are the GREATEST ensemble of characters to ever be put together in a game.

The game has everything...EVERYTHING!!! Drama, love, despair, beautiful friendship, humour, lovable tackiness, sexiness, ambiguity, true hate.

It's very cool, undoubtedly epic, brilliantly sounded and has just enough intricacy and complexity in it's core gameplay to keep you trying new things all the time.

It's the greatest game on the planet.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Personally, I think a lot of what makes FFVII memorable to so many people (and older JRPGs in general, but FFVII reached a larger audience partially thanks to its huge marketing campaign) on just a purely visual (and visual storytelling) level has a large part to do with the power of its exaggerated iconic in-game character designs while also having more detailed character designs to reference with the cut scenes (and the original character art). By "iconic" I mean it in terms of visual abstraction like how Scott McCloud described it:
mccloud1.png

mccloud2.png

(this article from a few years ago also explains it well http://www.corporate-sellout.com/2011/07/16/ff7-iconic-images/)

So the visual style emphasizes meaning while also allowing people to more easily have their own personal interpretations of scenes and characters thanks to the abstraction.

I'll be interested to see how the remake being more defined/detailed in terms of visuals and voice acting change people's reactions/interpretation of the story.

Last edited:

ero85

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I was really IN the game, i was Cloud, i feared Sephiroth, i shared his saddness, anger and confusion.

It was my first RPG, my first Final Fantasy at age 13. The fact that i still know how certain parts of the game felt emotionally back then reminds me of the impact this game had on me.

Top Bottom