Winter is coming...

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
This was posted on another board I post at. This is in super, super crackpot theory land, but it does have a certain amount of disturbing Lovecraftian logic to it.

1. When Arya is stalking Varys and Illyrio:
1a. She hears water dripping in the distance.
1b. Next she observes Illyrio and Varys coming up from a vast 'well'(this is the word GRRM uses) that goes down out of sight.
1c. Varys pulls a lever and a wall descends blocking the well from sight.
1d. After the two come up, Arya trails them for quite a long distance, gradually descending.
1e. Finally she loses them, stumbles forward and finds herself at the end of a sewer emptying into the river. She dives in and swims for a while to get clean, washes her clothes, then scampers off home.

2. Varys and Illyrio are both noted for their abnormally large size, while also noted as being incredibly light on their feet. This suggests an abnormal strength.

3. Varys is noted to have a peculiar, slimy smile. This could be interpreted to mean he does not show his teeth, and that could be because he has very abnormal teeth.

4. When Tyrion threatened to throw Varys overboard, Varys retorted that he would be sursprised at the result.

5. There is noted to be no bed in Vary's quarters. If he is a Merling he would likely sleep at sea or like most fish perhaps not at all.

6a. Another character we know with peculiar teeth is Biter, another abnormally large man with enourmous strength.
6b. The idea that this barely sentient being sat around and filed all his teeth just to scare people is absurd.

7. Varys and Illyrio both associate humans with birds, naturally as these are two lower species to them. Explains the ease with which they chop off children's tongues.

8. From their one meeting, it appears that the Merlings are experts at manipulating the humans in secret. And also there is a hint these two have plenty of patience, they seem to be comfortable waiting years for their plans to bear fruit. Perhaps they have very long lifespans or are just more patient than humans.

9. When the subject of eating people came up, Varys licked his lips.

10a. Varys likely is not a Eunuch, as there is a point where he is parlaying with Tyrion where Tyrion notes that his voice seemed deeper than usual.
10b. Even if he is a Eunuch, it doesn't mean he has to be human.

12. Since he probably isn't a Eunuch, Vary's lack of sexual interest in human females is explained by being a Merling.

13. Littlefinger comes from a seafaring merchant family of Braavos and is an accomplished sailor himself, if anyone is likely to ever see the reclusive Merlings, it's the merchants and fisherman.

14. One of Littlefinger's ships is named 'The Merling King'.

15. Littlefinger claims to have Varys completely under his control.

16. House Manderly. Hugely fat, port city, can't ride a horse, they even have a Merling as their house crest. Wyman Manderly bakes Freys into pies.

17. With no readily apparent motivation, Ser Mandon Moore tried to murder Tyrion on the Blackwater. When thrown overboard, it is noted he did not scream.

18. Mandon Moore is referred to repeatedly as having dead eyes or fish eyes, and of having "no life but duty".

19. Before being attacked, Tyrion had just set Blackwater Bay on fire using wildfire which would be deadly to any creatures living underneath.

20. The Drowned God. Very handy to have a large group of humans willing to do anything for you, and it provides a ready source of spies in places of power, such as Patchface, who often tells riddles about life under the sea.

21. There is something more to Patchface, as he foretold the Red Wedding.

22. Doesn't it seem suspicious that Euron Greyjoy was so well prepared for the Kingsmoot? Almost as though he knew that this ancient ritual for selecting a ruler would resurrected -- almost as if it was done specifically for him. Perhaps Euron has been playing his brother Aeron for a fool by filling his head with "voices from the sea".

23. Davos Seaworth's visit from the "The Mother" may have actually been a siren or a mermaid. After his rescue, Davos was primed and determined to kill Melisandre. Like Aeron and Patchface, it seems Davos's drowning may have filled his head with ideas.

24. Melisandre is afraid of Patchface.

25. Brienne is told about 'squishers' by one of her companions. They are described as man eating fish people that walk on two feet.

26. If you were to give a baby the name Varys in our world today, it would mean the following: Varys - Vari - Stream; Varish - Sleeping on the Sea

27. "The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling."

28. What do Varys and Illyrio want with Dragons? This is more speculative, but consider that:
28a. When you bring Ice and Fire together, you get water.
28b. Is it as simple as this? Bring the dragons north and melt the Ice, including perhaps the entire Wall. What you have done then is raise the coastlines around the entire world. Magical global melting...
What do the merlings get out of it? Liebensraum. More ocean real estate.
28c. If the flooding were extreme enough, only a few islands would remain, places like the Eyrie.
28d. Littlefinger, "The Merling King", has made his seat the Eyrie.
28e. If this theory is correct, Littlefinger would have been made King by Merlings, giving a new take on the meaning to the ship's name.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
the last few points are pretty hard speculation, but apart from that, I like. :cthulhu:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
5. There is noted to be no bed in Vary's quarters. If he is a Merling he would likely sleep at sea or like most fish perhaps not at all.

There is, Tyrion just finds it really really uncomfortable. But he still suggests to have sex with Shae on it in book 3.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The scary thing about crack theories is that somehow they all make sense, :monster:. If this turns out to be right, GRRM is the master of subtleties and hidden subplots - and those without these points / links will go
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT, FISH PEOPLE INVASION?
:awesome:

fwiw, I don't think the Wall
has enough ice to raise the sea level dramatically; nothing was noted about it having lowered the sea levels when it was raised. Still, I guess the whole north - glaciers etc, and fuck knows how much of it is in the northern part of the north and continents yet unexplored - would have some impact on stuff

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Yeah the Wall itself would probably raise sea levels by like a centimeter or two? :monster:

Actual noticeable increases irl are hypothesised from the melting of entire ice caps, not just a very large iceberg lol

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
The TV show is definitely going to overtake the books :sadpanda:
I might actually be okay with this...because the last two books were very tedious and in no way comparable to the first three. The last two books also had longer gaps between publication dates which makes me wonder if perhaps he lost some of his ambition to write this story...? It looks like he cranked the first three books out in rather quick succession; like he was on a creative roll. That's obviously not the case anymore. :nah:

Although...I'm not a writer so who am I to speak? :D

If he is writing for the sake of finishing the series, I'd rather he just stop it right now, throw his hands in the air and let the show-runners finish the story with his guidance. Let him finish the books in his own time, or not at all. I'd rather that GRRM do what he wants to do so that whatever he does come out with in the coming years is golden. :P

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Whoa whoa whoa! Them's fightin' words!

aka AFFC was the best one come at me bro

In all seriousness, though, I think GRRM has more to worry about, namely psycho fans that will try and end him before he can end the series (so it remains unfinished, or because he didn't do things the way they wanted, or killed off their favorite character, etc).

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I've always thought that ADwD was a severely underrated book. This blog provides concrete evidence backing up my thesis. I've read the essays on Daenerys, Jon Snow, and Tyrion thus far, and they're all quite insightful and highlight aspects of the novel most readers probably missed.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Oh great...now you've got me down this rabbit hole again. I'll be back after I read internet theories for 12 hours. :monster:

(...and I do want to know who poisoned the locusts...)

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I was able to read the graphic novel versions of the first two stories of Dunk and Egg, and I was actually quite hooked on them. I found the stories to be enjoyable and the art style was very nice. I'd love to read the novel version of them.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I've got the Dunk & Egg collection on my Christmas list. I didn't get very far into it but now it's conveniently wrapped up in a tidy bundle, screaming my name, soon to burn a hole in my pocket. :awesome:

ANYHOO,

I've been reading THIS essay (or bits and pieces of it) since yesterday and it's a fun read. This person's looking at the mythology of ASOIAF from a scientific/astronomical/geological/real world myth point of view. VURY interesting. :monster:

Apparently said person has written several ASOIAF essays...what a great way to put my downtime at work to good use. :monster:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Is anyone here surprised by that?

Of course not.

Considering that in the books Brienne finds a shield in the armory of Evenfall Hall with the displaying the same coat of arms as Dunk.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
May want to spoiler tag that phrase, Carlie.

On that note, can you lot stop posting GoT spoilers / episode references on FB? I usually don't watch it until a day later and spoilers are bad, mkay? They were much less during previous seasons, and to date there's little to no Star Wars spoilers out there, too.

Lex

Administrator
People seem to have extreme issues holding it in with GoT. I don't watch the show at all any more and I still know the entire plot just by breezing past Facebook posts.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I'll probably get hate for saying this, but as far as my personal FB is concerned, it's everyone else's job to avoid spoilers, not my job to avoid posting them. Obviously things are a bit different on the forum, and I have been a bit careful with spoilers because one of my friends is reading through the books right now and watching the seasons after them, and because I have Howl on FB and I don't think she's even started watching them yet, which is simply atrocious.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I deleted my Facebook last month to avoid GoT spoilers. I've also avoided reading excerpts. I'm waiting for TWoW to be in my hands!!

Ahem. So please keep show stuff in the show thread! (We're all doing great so far <3)

Do we have a freaking release date yet?

Top Bottom