Accommodations for Kupocon: The Big Pom

AvecAloes

Donator
It'll most likely be colder in January than December, haha.

The train systems are easy and convenient. I use Jersey City's PATH system to get to/from Newark and NYC, and then the Metro in NY is super easy to navigate with the aid of google maps. I say where I want to go, and it tells me which lines to take. I know some of the lines just from using them pretty often, but there are so many different lines in the city I doubt I'd ever be able to learn them all!

Lex

Administrator
Personally I'm excited to hear how Carlie deals with weather that's actually cold :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
It's all about layers, Carlie.

Long underwear will be a must.

Scarves help more than you realize. I can bring you a thick, fuzzy one to use.

Lex

Administrator
I'm being real though, the lady practically lives on the equator and gets hellfire weather year-round. I hope you folks have underlayers and parkas ready for her arrival :monster:

I'm genuinely looking forward to what you think of actual air Carlie. Like even when you were in the UK it was a pretty balmy summer by our standards :D

AvecAloes

Donator
My parents, who have been living in the DR for the last...4 or 5 years (why can I never remember how long they've been there?? Ah well), can not tolerate the cold anymore. And when I say "cold" I mean "anything less than 80 degrees". On the rare nights when it gets down into the 70s in Santiago, they complain about how cold it is. My mom brought a coat with her when we went to the mountain region last time I was down there, because it only gets up into the 70s during the day there. A coat. For 70 degree weather.

So yeah, not sure how Carlie is going to manage :monster:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I'm originally from Florida, and I think I can tolerate the cold fairly well. It doesn't mean I won't complain about it though. :monster:

Tenny, Carlie can buy a scarf in the airport terminal. Save the room in your luggage for souvenirs.

I'm hoping to get a new luggage set for my husband and I soon, probably at TJ Maxx because they're fairly cheap there. I've actually been pinning stuff on Pinterest for packing suitcases and making the most out of your space, because as many times as I've flown somewhere I'm still a notorious overpacker. Gotta pack for every scenario.

I'm thinking about taking my cosplay (sans the lightsaber) in my carry on, just in case my luggage happens to be lost (my worst fear). Because I am not attending KupoCon without the costume I've worked so hard to design.

But back to the cold weather, I'll probably be stocking up on those little handwarmer thingies. Because I put them everywhere. And if we do a fair bit of walking around, we can keep warm that way too. :monster:

Do you think any ice skating rinks will still be open?

AvecAloes

Donator
Lith said:
Do you think any ice skating rinks will still be open?

Oh yes. Most rinks up here stay open through late Feb at the earliest, March at the latest. The end of January is not "warm up time!" for the north, it's generally "STILL DAMN COLD LOL".

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, late January to early February is the coldest time of year up here. It doesn't properly warm up until March.

Also, I know I am similarly unsuited to the heat, but coats in weather north of 70 degrees (21C for all you unamericans), is madness.

Lex

Administrator
Sidebar: it's amazing how much the Atlantic currents dictate temperature. In terms of latitude Scotland is as far north as Nunavut in Canada yet our winters tend to be far milder than those in New York.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Tenny, Carlie can buy a scarf in the airport terminal. Save the room in your luggage for souvenirs.

But if they are in the airport they'll be expensive. D:

What about long underwear? Carlie, I can bring Cuddl Duds! They won't take up too much space.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
We could also just take her to Target or the mall when she gets here, you know :P

This is true. :lol:

Tenny, we will find Carlie ALL the things to keep her warm! :reptar: Don't worry about stuffing your suitcase full!

Every time I've gone by Rockefeller plaza the ice rink was always so full, and since I was with my mom and grandma a few other older ladies, so we obviously weren't going to wait. I hope I'll have enough time to go skating this time around.

AvecAloes

Donator
I should have actually said something about the link I posted earlier, Lith, but it's a list of many skating rinks to be found in NYC! So if Rockefeller is a bust, which it might well be, there are certainly others to try!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I've lived some winters in Toronto and Ottawa, but nothing in my life was as cold as Manhattan in March 2009. I'm honestly not looking forward to returning to that weather, and I'm freaking CANADIAN.

A good trick (if somewhat annoying) is plan to wear as much clothing as you can on the airplane home. That way you can stuff your suitcase full of souvenirs and it only costs you 3-5 hours of discomfort rather than the $80-200 for an extra suitcase. I myself will be layering the absolute hell out of myself for the whole duration, so it's only a matter of packing an extra few pairs of inner layers. You'll be seeing me in the same sweater pretty much the entire trip :wacky:

Dear KupoCon: summer next time plz

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
1. I hate you all.

2. I hope the train you're taking crashes and you all burn in the fiery depths of the metropolitan underground.

3. Carlie, keep your mitts to yourself :watchingu:

4. :sadpanda:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Wow, what a d-bag.

You know what? I hope we DO die in a fiery train crash just so YOU can feel bad for the rest of your life! :watchingu:

Top Bottom