• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Speedruns thread

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
How are PCF questionable, exactly? I remember looking them up a couple of years ago when I donated during an AGDQ and they seemed fine. 4/4 stars here, for example. They were at 3 stars at the time but I guess they've improved since then.

I didn't know Bonesaw had been banned (from submitting runs, and only temporarily, by the look of it) but I'm not surprised. His run at last year's SGDQ was funny but suggesting people spam a corporation's Twitter account was taking it a bit too far. Though the ban might just be because he was asked to stop doing certain things and didn't.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
How are PCF questionable, exactly? I remember looking them up a couple of years ago when I donated during an AGDQ and they seemed fine. 4/4 stars here, for example. They were at 3 stars at the time but I guess they've improved since then.

I didn't know Bonesaw had been banned (from submitting runs, and only temporarily, by the look of it) but I'm not surprised. His run at last year's SGDQ was funny but suggesting people spam a corporation's Twitter account was taking it a bit too far. Though the ban might just be because he was asked to stop doing certain things and didn't.

Have to head to work in a few minutes so I hope you don't mind me linking an old reddit thread regarding the subject.

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/31ou3n/an_analysis_of_prevent_cancer_foundations_pcf/

Though personally I feel as though there are certainly better organizations to give your money to when it comes to Cancer both in regards to prevention and treatment on a more global scale. Truthfully I only donate during SGDQ when Doctors without Borders etc. are the receiving party ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Regarding Bonesaw. Yeah I totally agree that Jak and Daxter run was definitely over the top. Busted a gut laughing through out though lol.
Part of what I was trying to get at though, aside from the "Bans" Is that the atmosphere in the main room has understandably changed as the GDQ has become more professional and organized. That plays into both runners not wanting to submit because they either find the atmosphere to strict compared to past events (apparently they get run through tons of do's and don'ts in preparation for their runs). The other part is why even be in a room like that watching someone else speedrun when you can a few floors up partying or watching the same thing in your hotel room on stream with tons of friends and have a good time/party instead.

It's mainly why the main room gets emptier and emptier every year both in regards to people submitting and people watching live in the room.

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Mario races in about an hour :monster:

Also I'm surprised at how many speed runners I see now streaming from home on my dash... I guess it wasn't a big year for some of the bigger names. Maybe they're trying to give some smaller guys a chance to make it big or something

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I slept through the whole Mario block (I just woke up; it's five AM here) but I'll definitely watch the VODs. :) Final Fantasy is about to start. Based on the time estimate it seems like it's going to be a full playthrough rather than the stair glitch, which is good, because that was a bit of a farce last time. It was a $4k donation incentive which the runner managed to fail three times because of not counting properly. :closedmonster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Going back to something that was mentioned earlier: I've noticed three trans* people at the event so far: EnchantressOfNumbers (ran Tetris), Protomagicalgirl (announcer) and headstrong1290 (ran Jak and Daxter). At least the first two are definitely trans; I'm not 100% sure about headstrong, not that it really matters.

That Jak run was amazing, by the way; less than a minute off the record.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
AGDQ still has a day and a half or so to go and they're already almost at the 1 million donating mark. This might be their best year yet :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I just noticed that the Super Mario Galaxy runner is Finnish. Neat.

Edit: lmao, I donated $10 with a Finland meme (about everyone gathering at the market square) and they read it out. Chat went predictably bonkers.

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
^ OMG that was you???? That's hilarious!!! :lol:

AGDQ 2017 about to hit the two million mark :monster:

(Just hope it's not one of the sponsors tipping them over as they did with the 1 million lmao that was lame)

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
I know, I think this will be their best year yet PogChamp :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Damn, the end of that Super Metroid race was a real downer.

Background: it's a running joke for the crowd at GDQ events to make Waluigi "waah" noises. Which they did, repeatedly, during Metroid. I saw one of the four runners motion "cut it out", but it was so subtle that I doubt the crowd noticed it. What wasn't subtle was someone sitting next to the commentators' couch borrowing a microphone to say that it wasn't funny and that the people doing it should kill themselves. He implied that they were cancer at an event that raises money to prevent it. Just, wow.

So that was super awkward. It got worse when the announcer asked for total silence for the last ten minutes or so. The "save or kill the animals" donation incentive rakes in by far the most money at every GDQ – this time around it was something like $800,000 – and usually the announcement of the final decision is one of the loudest, most exciting moments of the whole event, but this time it was delivered in the most underwhelming manner and got almost no reaction. The organisers seriously screwed up. I get that the runners need to concentrate but in the past "serious time" has been confined to one very specific trick, the baby Metroid skip, not the entire endgame. It's supposed to be a fun charity event, not a world record factory. But whatever. It was still a pretty good race despite that and it'll be back next time (and every time).

Undertale is on now, the last game of the event. It's a great choice of game but I had to stop watching after about half an hour because the runner reached the furthest point I've played myself and I don't want to be spoiled. Kind of a shame to miss the ending but I guess I'll try to get some sleep. :wacky:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Save. I normally root for kill but save makes a bit more sense in a 100% race (which this was) than an any% race.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
There's a Finnish speedrunning marathon taking place this weekend (with commentary in English) called Speed Games United, organised by FinnRuns: stream, schedule. Two (short) Final Fantasy games tomorrow. :)

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Super Metroid is one of the most popular games for speedrunning, as you might know if you've ever watched a GDQ event. Right now on the SpeedGaming channel on Twitch is the semi-final stage of a Super Metroid 100% tournament, featuring four of the very best runners in two head-to-head matches. Should be pretty great. I dunno when the final is yet – I think it depends on who qualifies – but if anyone's interested I can post about it here later.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The annual Final Fantasy Series Relay starts tomorrow on the RPG Limit Break channel on Twitch. This year, for the first time, there will be three teams instead of the usual two, so hopefully there'll be a close finish between at least two of them. The teams are running all of the main series games (including X-2, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns but excluding XI and XIV) plus Type-0. The full schedule is here. I'll probably have it open in the background for most of the run – say hi if you see me in chat. :)

Top Bottom