Death Note: Netflix Film

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It definitely is a very "Netflix" looking type thing like the article mentions, but I'm not sure how to feel about it in any capacity. Then again, I didn't closely follow the original anime as much as I sort of consumed it in the background, so I'm probably not the best person to be casting judgement for the adaptation, tbqh.

X :neo:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
I´m quite interested in this. I´m looking forward to changes they will made rather than what they will keep.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Eh.... depends... I honestly think it has more to do with the source material then Netflix.

Series of Unfortunate Events could literally not have been more perfect. But then, the original book series was already so unique that all it needed was someone to actually try to stay loyal to the book's aesthetics and story to get a great product.

I'm more skeptical of the Death Note part of it. The original manga is nearly a decade old and was a work that started a bunch of trends. It's no longer a ground-breaking product anymore. If anything, it feels too "safe" to be interesting anymore.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
In ten years, we will see the adaptation of an adaptation of this adaptation's adaptation.

In other news, the
C7iwsgJVYAE7_Mv.jpg
of the memes coming out of this are slaying me.

Netflix stuff is mediocre at best.

[/thread]

Stranger Things, though. Wasn't a fan?

Last edited:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I think it'll be okay. Me and Mr Channy are rewatching Death Note right now and I've seen it half a dozen times but he can't remember shit lol It's such a short trailer though it's hard to judge properly.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i wish it didn't look so washed out (but there's still time to colour grade it so there are actual colours) and i don't know about that whole ferris wheel business or what some people are saying is this film's l (guy in a hoodie with a mask over his face?), but willem defoe might make a good ryuk?? his laugh and his one line sounded alright

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
"Death Note" is one of the only anime my girlfriend has watched, whereas I've barely seen any of the series. I got her opinion on this last night, and she's rather excited; particularly about the casting.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Netflix stuff is mediocre at best.

[/thread]

Stranger Things, though. Wasn't a fan?

That was pretty good, but, I think Netflix' strategy seems to be like err. I'm sure there's an expression for it. Shotgunning some spaghetti onto a wall and see what sticks? With that in mind though, whatever I - or even an entire continent - doesn't like might be the best thing EVAR for another person / country / continent, and given how Netflix has aggressively expanded to a billion countries in the past couple years, my personal opinion doesn't matter. If a Netflix Original would convince only a small percentage of subscribers to keep their subscription for a month longer, then it'd be profitable already. I mean Netflix made $1.823 billion in revenue in Q4 2016 - they can really afford to make a few dozen $10 million movies / shows without it even showing up in their financial results.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
That was pretty good, but, I think Netflix' strategy seems to be like err. I'm sure there's an expression for it. Shotgunning some spaghetti onto a wall and see what sticks?

Direct Quote from their CCO from THR Round Table a few months ago would be

"Were trying become HBO before they become Netflix"
Don't have timestamp for that quote but its in there

Worth watching if you are interested in how Netflix and the other giants think about the industry especially regarding content acquisition and usage.

Fun fact from that video. Adam Sandler is the top earner for Netflix content :monster:

edit:

Actually in retrospect I think the quotes may not have been in this round table after all lol. Still really interesting video to get a perspective on how they think and how it relates to your post though.

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I think whats pissing me off is they're shucking off a lot of the reasons people use Netflix in the first place; Binge watching old tv. Buffy, House, and X-files are all getting the boot in favor of stuff like this, so it goes from me being indifferent to actually pissed off that I'll have to purchase these shows now.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
My reaction is this: hahaha no.

You know what fucking drives me up the wall is that if they're going to Americanize the cast of Death Note, they shouldn't call Kira "Kira".

I mean, the context of Kira makes sense in Japanese, but not so much sense when in English. Goddamnit Netflix, do your goddamn research.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe

You know what fucking drives me up the wall is that if they're going to Americanize the cast of Death Note, they shouldn't call Kira "Kira".

I mean, the context of Kira makes sense in Japanese, but not so much sense when in English. Goddamnit Netflix, do your goddamn research.

Lets wait and see.

For all we know maybe Light targets like high profile Yakuza who are incarcerated first and he is still given the "Kira" moniker as his actions pick up notoriety in Japan before elsewhere, the west and Weebs pick up on it and just globalize it.

Bam American Kira.

Also @ Chip :

WTF THEY AARE REMOVING X FILES? FUUUUCK I BARELY HIT SEASON 6 NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red

Lets wait and see.

For all we know maybe Light targets like high profile Yakuza who are incarcerated first and he is still given the "Kira" moniker as his actions pick up notoriety in Japan before elsewhere, the west and Weebs pick up on it and just globalize it.

Bam American Kira.

Also @ Chip :

WTF THEY AARE REMOVING X FILES? FUUUUCK I BARELY HIT SEASON 6 NOOOOOOOOOOOO
Actually, I think the only way I can accept Netflix using Kira is if they show Light being a weeaboo and him insisting on being called Kira. :monster:

But aside from that, I'm pretty indifferent to Death Note being 'mericanized. The basic plot of Death Note can actually work in any setting, it's just that I think making a live action movie of it is just terrible. I thought the original Japanese live action adaptations was horrible, and I think that the Netflix one is still going to suck.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
tbh i was a little surprised they kept the 'the person whose name is written in this note...' thing instead of clearing it up and making it 'book' or something

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
They're probably trying to aim it at the demographic that know the anime instead of trying to make it appeal to a wider audience.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Idk if most of that backlash is even sound, though. Majority of that backlash I've seen seems to be riding on the coattails of the ScarJo/Ghost in the Shell outrage, but I don't think the two are equal. Death Note isn't being "whitewashed" if they're simply adapting the story to another time and place. It would be one thing if they kept Light's last name as Yagami and cast a white actor, but it's Turner in the Netflix version.

Human beings have been borrowing stories from each other from across cultures well before "Ghost" or "Death Note." It's one of many ways a culture becomes enriched and in which ideas get exchanged. I empathise with groups who may feel that their voices aren't being heard because they lack representation in various forms of media, but to shut down every single incidence of white actors being cast in a story that was originally non-white just undermines the actual problem with film/television and diversity, imo. It's like the folks who cry "racist" over every perceived slight against a POC; the term starts to lose its very credibility and value with a lot of people.

I think Dr Cox has it exactly right with the term "hate"

[QUOTE="Dr Cox]Don’t say hate, Gandhi, you keep throwing that word around so much it’s lost all of its meaning. Now I have to find another word stronger than hate to describe how I feel about others.

I mega-loathe you all.

Good day.
[/QUOTE]

Now whether or not they make that adaptation well is another story. I, for one, have been kind of underwhelmed with the visual. Like this screenshot with the with the orange and blue is visually unimpressive to me. The orange and blue thing has been played up so much. :https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/VJ...ploads/chorus_asset/file/8209097/DN_04298.jpg

Last edited:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I'm actually rather excited for this. It's been awhile since I've watched anything related to Death Note, so I'm thrilled that they're breathing new life back into the series. If I can get my husband to watch this live action movie then perhaps I can get him to watch the anime with me one day. He's not much of an anime person, but I've gotten him to watch Attack on Titan, so hopefully the premise of this one can hook him.

It better have some s00per gothic chorus numbers for some of these scenes, I'm telling ya. :monster:

I'll agree with everyone else that the criticisms of this project seem to be riding on the coattails of Ghost in the Shell. And I understand fully why people feel that way, but if they're adapting the story to have it set in America... I don't really consider that white washing. It's just adapting the story to a new environment... which if you know anything about the world of film and adapting books/popular media to the big/silver screen, you'd know that it happens more often than you think. Even many books out there are fresh takes or rehashed versions of old stories we've heard before.

I say give it a chance. If you look for the bad in something, you'll find it. Try and view the story through a different perspective where the manga/anime doesn't exist. You might surprise yourself.

I leave you with this.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Idk if most of that backlash is even sound, though. Majority of that backlash I've seen seems to be riding on the coattails of the ScarJo/Ghost in the Shell outrage, but I don't think the two are equal. Death Note isn't being "whitewashed" if they're simply adapting the story to another time and place. It would be one thing if they kept Light's last name as Yagami and cast a white actor, but it's Turner in the Netflix version.

Human beings have been borrowing stories from each other from across cultures well before "Ghost" or "Death Note." It's one of many ways a culture becomes enriched and in which ideas get exchanged. I empathise with groups who may feel that their voices aren't being heard because they lack representation in various forms of media, but to shut down every single incidence of white actors being cast in a story that was originally non-white just undermines the actual problem with film/television and diversity, imo. It's like the folks who cry "racist" over every perceived slight against a POC; the term starts to lose its very credibility and value with a lot of people.

I think Dr Cox has it exactly right with the term "hate"

[QUOTE="Dr Cox]Don’t say hate, Gandhi, you keep throwing that word around so much it’s lost all of its meaning. Now I have to find another word stronger than hate to describe how I feel about others.

I mega-loathe you all.

Good day.

Now whether or not they make that adaptation well is another story. I, for one, have been kind of underwhelmed with the visual. Like this screenshot with the with the orange and blue is visually unimpressive to me. The orange and blue thing has been played up so much. :https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/VJ...ploads/chorus_asset/file/8209097/DN_04298.jpg[/QUOTE]

I think the awkward question that some people don't want to address is "Why does it need to be changed for American Audiences?". We're not in the 90s anymore. We've all seen foreign media. We can all read subtitles, and even dubs of live action are tolerable. America and India are the only places I really see do this kinda thing. In Japan, they don't feel the need to adapt all our movies.

At least with Bollywood, they're honest about what they're doing: They make longer, crazier versions because theaters are a great way to pay to use air conditioning, and people basically want a movie that is an all-day event. For the U.S? It's kinda just lazy.

Top Bottom