• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

PC Version/Mods

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I could have sworn we had a thread on this but I couldn't find it, if I just missed it let me know and I'll merge them.

Anyway I recently came into the PC version of the game and I figured I'd check out some of the mods that I've always heard about with detailed character models and the like. Also I was interested to see that there was a difficulty mod which has me intrigued. I'd like to hear what mods people have used and what they like and such but first, a problem.

Anyway I just went through the starting steps, installed the game, installed the patch and then installed Aali's openGL graphics mod...thing. Which was the first step on everyone's list as you can use new resolutions and it apparently improves things on it's own.

Unfortunately all of the movies (both the company logos in the beginning and the intro scene) are just a white screen. And the title screen looks like this, flashing this error:
ff7error.png

If I wait past the intro scene the prerendered backgrounds are also stark white I can only see character models (without eyes, which are also all white, and creepy).

I am on Windows 7 Home 64-bit with an Nvidea GeForce 8800 GTX. Any ideas?

Thanks, and what mods have you used/do you like?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Honestly: Not a clue, :monster:. But I have two theories:

Did you install the game at a non-standard location? The thing complains about not being able to load a graphics resource, which would explain it.

Second: Is that patch you installed making it Windows 7 compatible? You should probably run it in Windows XP or even earlier compatibility mode, right-click the executable and fiddle around.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yes, that was the patch I installed, and I installed it in the default location. Do you use the same openGL mod on yours?

Yes, that was the patch I installed, and I installed it in the default location. Do you use the same openGL mod on yours?

Yes, I used Aali's driver. Did you make sure to download it from the qhimm topic? There are supposedly one or two sites that link to fake FFVII PC add-ons and openGL files. (I don't know the details, as I'm pretty much a n00b in this area too)

I know somebody I can ask about your problem, but he isn't online atm. I'll see what he has to say when he reappears.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
:bump:

Hokay, so. Over in this thread, I mentioned that in the past I tried a "hardcore" mod hoping for additional strategy and all I got tediously high HP totals. ChipNoir directed me to this mod/overhaul called A New Threat.

I just got out of Midgar, and I have to say that I am stunned. The modder(s) have done an incredible amount of work, including a lot of game design. The game is harder, but not in an unfair way at all. It's simply that the enemies all have completely redone AI and some new movesets. Meanwhile, you get the more strategic type Materia much sooner. Morph is in the garden outside Aerith's house. Aerith herself comes with Barrier, Destruct, and Heal (which sees Poisona replaced with Osmose, to make up for how much more magic you're likely to be using).

All of the magic is tweaked. Cure costs more and heals more. Potions heal 300 HP in battle, and 100 HP outside of it. Aerith's weapons primarily buff the party, rather than attack opponents. Each character's Lvl 4 limit break is only unlocked by a new sidequest and boss. I've yet to receive a single piece of equipment that was unequivocally better than the others. Iron Bangles give you a ton of armor and two slots. But Bronze, Mythril, or Carbon bangles give you less defense but might boost your Str or Mag stat by 5 while having more slots. Everything is a decision.
Apparently, after the Mythril Mines, you unlock "SP" that you can spend to tweak each character's stats, so you can specialize your characters to a much higher degree.

One of my favorite features is that each character has an innate skill (that it tells you about once they join the party). Cloud's is Second Wind: after a certain number of turns, he will fully heal himself once per battle. Tifa's is Grit: once per battle she will survive an otherwise lethal blow with 1HP (this already saved me with the boss that replaced Motorball). Barret gains a stacking buff to defense or attack based on which row he is in when he gets attacked. Aerith's is Geomancer: while Defending, she absorbs all elements. Red's Str and Mag stat increase each turn to a max of +50 in a given battle, etc. etc.

Dialogue is slightly altered, nothing game-changing, but I notice it. There are also several quality of life modifications, you can just press L1 at a save point to use a tent. In the No. 5 reactor when you push the buttons at the same time, I didn't get it on my first try (it usually takes me three), but Barret just went "Close enough!" and the door opened, lol. You have the option to skip story dumps like Elmyra's history with Aerith, the Kalm flashback and the Lifestream flashback. The collecting Midgar Pieces "puzzle" in the Shinra building is gone, all the chests just have loot, while the actual Midgar model is being guarded by a palette-swap of Carry Armor which has funny dialogue and wrecked my face to Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony (it didn't give me a game over). Hopefully I'll be able to take it when we come back at the end of Disc 2.

Examples of boss changes that aren't spoilery: The Sample H0512 boss fight in the Shinra building? You know how you usually ignore those little alien ball things in front of him since he just brings them back? Well now his Def and MDef are SUPER buffed, such that you only do single digit damage. But each time he respawns his friends, it lowers his stats. So you have to keep killing them to bring down his defense. Meanwhile he uses different, more threatening moves. Rufus' guard hound buddy is much more of a factor, he uses Wall, Esuna, and White Wind. And when you kill him, he casts Healing Wind to fully heal Rufus.

One thing that I guess is technically minor but it was the first thing that told me this mod would be something else was in the No. 1 Reactor.
So the timer runs during the Guard Scorpion fight, and this is the first time I've ever run out of time, haha. But more than that, when you help Jessie get her leg un-stuck, you're attacked by Guard Scorpion again, only he's all dilapidated and malfunctioning from the first fight. And Jessie is an AI-controlled team member!! :D

So, yeah, HIGHLY recommended. As I get farther I'd like to make a front page post about it. It's super easy to install and works with any PC version of FF7 if anyone wants to play through it with me :monster:

Reactions: Ite

Lex

Administrator
Be my guest, I've been advocating for mod coverage on the FP for a long time :monster:

I will likely play this at some point too. I played through years ago with the "hardcore" mod which also had some battle and field script changes/ minibosses. As far as I can tell, this is an evolution of that.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
That sounds really interesting ForceStealer. I'll have to give that mod a look at some point very soon. Been meaning to replay the game, and this seems a new experience in doing so. Be interesting to play it through with you.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
The additions and surprises sound awesome, as for the level of difficulty, I've only ever been a "moderate" skill-wise as far as turn-based gaming goes, so I'd probably get smoked right off. On a side note, though, I've always wished there could be a detailed graphics mod that doesn't make everything end up looking awkward in proportion, or via the pre-programmed physical gestures, etc. I tend to keep it simple; I'm playing through FF8 on steam right now, and the only thing I really find myself hankering for is a way to upgrade the backgrounds so the heightened character models didn't stick out so much (but I know that's damn near impossible to do with pre-renders). I LOVE the new models though, even with minor characters...I had no idea Mayor Dobe was drawn as the perfect "aging 60's hippie circa 1980's", for example (sorry, I know this is wildly off-topic)

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
One thing that I guess is technically minor but it was the first thing that told me this mod would be something else was in the No. 1 Reactor.
So the timer runs during the Guard Scorpion fight, and this is the first time I've ever run out of time, haha. But more than that, when you help Jessie get her leg un-stuck, you're attacked by Guard Scorpion again, only he's all dilapidated and malfunctioning from the first fight. And Jessie is an AI-controlled team member!! :D

Even though you mentioned it in your post, this was such a nice thing to see implemented, helping to cement that this Mod really isn't just a 'bump enemy HP up'. I've only just completed the Reactor, but I'm loving the adjusted AI and movesets of opponents - battles are challenging but definitely not unfair. The new innate skills of the characters is also a pretty neat addition too. Looking forward to seeing what the other characters possess.

My only minor irritation so far is that, heck I'm no VII expert (probably replay it once a year) but I keep finding myself re-correcting the dialogue changes in my head back to the original. It's a bit weird. Hopefully I'll get used to it. I guess it's because some of it is quite an unneeded change. But again, this is just a minor irritation that I'm finding.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I know nobody is writing it down as they're playing through, so it's likely forgotten, but can anyone give me an example of a 'noticeable' dialogue change the mod implements?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't have the quote, but in talking about Neo-Midgar, President Shinra makes several references to Midgar's current location running out of Mako. Makes the Neo-Midgar plan sound more like one of survival, rather than mere greed. I thought that was kind of an odd change to make.

A positive example is Rufus' "acceptance speech." After saying "Old man tried to control the world with money," instead of just leaving it at "it seems to have been working." He elaborates just HOW well it worked and why it has allowed for him to make the shift to controlling the world with fear. That does make Rufus sound oddly admiring of his father, but the flavor-text was nice, at least. Elmyra also has some nice flavoring in her description of her history with Aerith.

Another bizarre one is that Hojo is trying to improve Aerith's connection to the Planet through combat, rather than trying to breed her with Red.

It's little changes like that. I can see why it might irk, but I think it's interesting to see someone else's interpretation of stuff.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
New Threat Runthrough Update

I am just on my way to Kalm after having escaped from Midgar ... and I just want to echo ForceStealer's sentiments at just how incredible this mod is. Seriously, this needs to be a Community Playthrough or something. Combat strategy in VII was usually centred around Materia combinations, but in New Threat, it is about the character's Innate Abilities, equipment selection AND Materia. I've had so much fun replaying this game and mixing things up.

Like ForceStealer mentioned earlier, selection isn't just about outfitting the next newest piece of equipment that you come across. Weapons and accessories all have weaknesses and advantages, meaning that you really want to hang on to them for different characters or for upcoming situations. The Innate Ability concept has breathed even more life into the characters - providing them with more of an independence and speciality outside of their Limit Break techniques.

At the moment I have Barret - who possess the Attack or Defend stack Innate - on my front row with Cover and Counter-Attack Materia, with Str +5 equipment, in order to take full advantage of his Innate, with Aerith and her healing rod weapon, the Defence equipment (forgot the name) and her Geo Defend Innate as my backup. But they have all been extremely useful. Tifa's Grit Innate saved my ass once already, and Red XIII's innate magic increasing skill was pretty cool.

The final battle on the Midgar Highway was a bit of a challenge, but again, not in an unfair way. I just had to choose my commands and what I was doing a bit more carefully then I usually would.

New Threat has breathed life into this old game ... and is actually also getting me excited about what new mechanics the Remake could employ.

Seriously, play this mod guys.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
New Threat Runthrough Update

The NT Mod continues to surprise and delight, especially in unexpected moments.

After the flashback at Kalm I was shocked to see that the scene was extended. The group were bedding down for the night, at which point,
a certain Materia Hunter and Thief climbed out of the closet and proceeded to rob the group! :lol: Red XIII alerts the others (a nice touch) and this leads us to bringing Yuffie onboard
. What an absolutely neat thing to implement. Speaking of which, that battle also held yet another surprise that made me smile in glee. What a cool thing to do!

And the surprises continue as you quickly discover that the party do their own thing in towns. It is so nice to wander around and see them frequenting different parts of a locale.

Battles blessedly continue to keep you involved and not descend into just 'use Attack and Limit Breaks'. The reworked monster AI, new movesets and groupings has really made an impact, as well as the reworked Magic strength and costings in order to continue to keep it relevant. I find myself using a balance between physical attacks and constantly backing myself up with magic.

Speaking of which, I do like the new SP build system in order to more firmly target characters into specific job roles. It is a pretty cool feature to implement.

More surprises hit on the road to Corel when
Barret begins to act strangely, which then leads us into Corel proper and his character development
. Again, what a neat touch and it helps to bring more life to the characters and events.

I mentioned the specific dialogue alterations bugging me a little previously, and I have to say it did urk me a little during the Dyne flashback. I didn't appreciate them making Dyne say that he would wreck vengeance on Barret if he dropped him. That was just quite hamfisted and an unneeded change. A minor irritation in an otherwise impressive mod.

In terms of Economy, I am finding myself constantly low on cash since items hold a lot more importance. I may have to do a little bit of grinding before I proceed. I have just finished Gongaga (where a particular new boss battle was a little challenging) and am preparing to head towards Cosmo Canyon.

Impressed at every turn really. I can't wait to grab the remaining characters and discover what other surprises lie in store!

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Love it! If you still feel into it, definitely keep posting like this, I'm really enjoying vicariously learning about the new plot situations dialogue / battles Etc, especially because as I said I tend to be firmly in the competent rather than skilled genre when it comes to turn-based battling, so the chances are I'll be playing this mod in the immediate future are fairly Slim. Sounds like they managed to strike a pretty good balance between being tasteful but also not afraid to really stir things up and throw in some notable changes. Must have had a whole team working on this one, eh?

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Also, did the yuffie recruiting scenario post-battle still take place in the field? Or did they work it into Kalm somehow? Or was it no longer something you could fail post-battle?

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Love it! If you still feel into it, definitely keep posting like this, I'm really enjoying vicariously learning about the new plot situations dialogue / battles Etc, especially because as I said I tend to be firmly in the competent rather than skilled genre when it comes to turn-based battling, so the chances are I'll be playing this mod in the immediate future are fairly Slim. Sounds like they managed to strike a pretty good balance between being tasteful but also not afraid to really stir things up and throw in some notable changes. Must have had a whole team working on this one, eh?

If you're competent in turn-based combat then you'll do fine! The team have seriously worked hard in striving to find a delicate balance within the game's battle system. To make a challenge, making every encounter worthwhile and meaningful, all without making it feel brutal or unfair. It's a seriously tough balance to make for sure, but I feel that - so far - they have excelled and really hit the mark. Sure, some of the Boss Battles ramp up the challenge to another level (but heck, Boss Battles are made to do that) and it's never in an unfair 'one-hit-kill' sort of scenario. The Bosses present you with new moves, AI and concepts, but once you figure out their moves and patterns, you just need to replan on the fly and adapt accordingly.

And yeah, I have been seriously impressed in the new scenes, changes, and scenarios that they have managed to implement into the game. They are carefully littered and spaced out throughout, really surprising you in a pleasant way.

Another example of this I forgot to mention is that the entire Fort Condor concept has been reworked in its implementation. The fighters have a pool of money with which to try to repel the Shinra troops every now and again (with around 3000 gil being used up in each attempt). So you need to check back in on them from time to time in order to either top up their funds or to help them fight their battles. To further do this, an NPC will show up in towns in order to instantly teleport you there and back.

Also, did the yuffie recruiting scenario post-battle still take place in the field? Or did they work it into Kalm somehow? Or was it no longer something you could fail post-battle?

After chasing Yuffie out of Kalm, you are transported into her usual recruitment field. You end up in a battle as before, but this time, the entire party is lined up to take her down, lol. I mean, that was such a neat and unexpected visual that my jaw was on the floor through the entire fight! :D The other party members are AI controlled, but still, so cool.

Once you beat her, the recruitment dialogue comes automatically that she wants to tag along because she feels that the team needs her - with the familiar chuckle at the end that she is planning something.

Last edited:

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Another example of this I forgot to mention is that the entire Fort Condor concept has been reworked in its implementation. The fighters have a pool of money with which to try to repel the Shinra troops every now and again (with around 3000 gil being used up in each attempt). So you need to check back in on them from time to time in order to either top up their funds or to help them fight their battles. To further do this, an NPC will show up in towns in order to instantly teleport you there and back.

Isn't that exactly how it's always worked? Besides the added convenience NPC.

Also New Threat is made by one person. It's gone through a lot of iterations to get this point, so it's had a lot of playtesting.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes

Is that how it worked originally? I've never before really engaged with the Fort Condor system outside of the first and last battles there.

Also New Threat is made by one person. It's gone through a lot of iterations to get this point, so it's had a lot of playtesting.

That makes it even more impressive. Unbelievable.

This is how I remember it as well. The player had the option to give money to Fort Condor to support them, but if I recall correctly there was zero reward for doing this and zero penalty for not giving them money.

Short story: The Fort Condor sidequest/minigame is a mess. :wacky:

Top Bottom