• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Where is the FFVII Remake? [Editorial]

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The FF7 remake can probably be found with David Miscavige's wife.

Locked in a tower somewhere, never to be heard from again.

Your FFVII Remake is in another castle!

I believe the remake is being worked on heavily but inefficiently. This quote terrifies me still, referring to the FF 30th Anniversary panel:
According to some of the fans in attendance, there’s been a change in Cloud’s design. According to development leader Naoki Hamaguchi, this new design was said to have finally got the go-ahead from director Tetsuya Nomura. While it’s been a struggle for the team, the hard work appears to have paid off as Tetsuya Nomura went as far as acknowledging it as “the closest one to the original [Cloud design] up until now.]
- Siliconera, 2018-02-07

I'm not sure if this comment matches what was said at the actual panel but if it's true, then that's horrible. It took Nomura until February THIS YEAR to approve a design for Cloud Strife? That is chillingly, stupidly inefficient and perfectionist.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
At any other time, I would say that I feel like an updated character model isn't hard to slot in, so does it really matter when the design gets finalized? But who knows anymore.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Not sure if I'd go as far as calling it inefficient. Inefficiency would be halting developed of other assets and gameplay systems until the character models are set, which as far as we know has not being the case.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I guess some things just take longer to make than others. While not a videogame, Hugh Jackman said 'The Greatest Showman' took 7 years to make. The anime film 'Redline' took 7 years as well.

For me, I'm just happy that the Remake is in the works right now. Sure, I'm a bit bummed they didn't show anything from e3. We've already waited for so long at this point. Perhaps the 2015 reveal was made too early and was just a jerk reaction after the PSX 2014 incident, but it has rejuvenated the forums and made great discussions on what they plan to do. We'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Gonna throw this out there: Nomura is a perfectionist. Good, because there's going to be a lot of pissed-off people online if 7R is a load of wank. It's going to take some anal as fuck attention to detail to hit all the notes that die-hards like the sort that populate this forum will be satisfied with. So what if Cloud gets redrawn a bajillion times? We're all familiar enough with CGI technology to know that isn't that much of a big deal compared to the game overall, nor is it something that is critical to be ironed out early on. Frankly I'd rather wait and keep getting frustrated (even if it does take years) than be spoon-fed tidbits of disappointment.
I'll use Star Wars as a comparative because it also has a big fandom who are demanding. Solo has been ruled a flop at the box office. As a long-standing fan, I wasn't excited by the film and felt like it was a cash-in, I wasn't happy with many of the castings and thought the project could have been executed much more effectively over a longer period of time. People will wait for a quality finish.
On the other hand, when fans aren't happy you see the sort of shit that saw Kelly Marie Tran hounded off Instagram. Now personally I find that sort of possessive fandom grotesque. However ( and I can't stress enough that I DO NOT AGREE with the sentiment), fans will not keep their ire to themselves if they're not happy precisely because of that imagined ownership. Part of me wonders if the folk at S-E browse forums such as ours and get nervous over expectations and the need to meet and exceed them. That's a LOT of pressure.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Looking at how E3 in general is being treated, and how Square is handling their own marketing in particular: They just don't care about VII right now.

I mean they think it's important, but they just don't want to market anything that doesn't have a pay off this financial year.

Why else feel free to show the Cloud redesign to paying customers, but not to the rest of us?

Either that, or SE just doesn't really care about E3.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
The FF7 remake can probably be found with David Miscavige's wife.

Locked in a tower somewhere, never to be heard from again.

Interesting proposal. I counter offer with the theory that the remake has been stashed away here

Rewatching this scene it's just dawned on me this would be a pretty great meme lol.

"Where is the FF7 Remake?"

"I assure we have top men working on it!"

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I guess some things just take longer to make than others. While not a videogame, Hugh Jackman said 'The Greatest Showman' took 7 years to make. The anime film 'Redline' took 7 years as well.

For me, I'm just happy that the Remake is in the works right now. Sure, I'm a bit bummed they didn't show anything from e3. We've already waited for so long at this point. Perhaps the 2015 reveal was made too early and was just a jerk reaction after the PSX 2014 incident, but it has rejuvenated the forums and made great discussions on what they plan to do. We'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Yeah, while the lack of substantial content updates/news on the Remake is/can be definitely frustrating and/or anxiety inducing, I am still happy it's in development in the first place and will eventually come out. Even if I don't necessarily agree with SE's reasoning, I suspect the dearth of updates this E3/this year so far is likely due to the first and third points mentioned in the editorial. So while I'll certainly hope for substantial Remake news for this year's coming Gamescom, Tokyo Game Show, Paris Games Week, Jump Festa, or even the December PlayStation Experience, I won't be holding my breath until after Kingdom Hearts III releases.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
I only discovered yesterday that the general public could attend E3 this year. I wonder if that had any bearing on 7R news? I reckon if there's anything to be broadcast, SE will do it at a bona fide industry show since E3 can't exactly call itself that now.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I only discovered yesterday that the general public could attend E3 this year. I wonder if that had any bearing on 7R news? I reckon if there's anything to be broadcast, SE will do it at a bona fide industry show since E3 can't exactly call itself that now.

iirc E3 only closed its doors for a coupe of years. The public was playing arcade demos of FFVII at E3 1997.

Lex

Administrator

iirc E3 only closed its doors for a coupe of years. The public was playing arcade demos of FFVII at E3 1997.

This is wrong Ite, the first E3 to be open to the public was 2017. If something you've read referred to public playing the demo available at E3 in 1997, it was just press. Even when it was only open to press it was full anyway, it's a mystery as to why they actually opened it to the public (probably just a money thing).

Keep in mind that "press" is "anyone who can prove or has a relation to someone who works in the gaming industry". Game industry devs etc. all could apply for passes to E3 and could get +1's. I mean, me and Tets even managed to get press passes a few years back.

I also don't think it would have any effect on gaming news anyway, since the actual gaming press conferences are invite-only and aren't actually part of the "event" E3 itself.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Well IIRC we stopped talking about Versus for a couple years until it was relabeled as XV :monster:

Top Bottom