• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

CHEERS FOR THE NEW FORUMS

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
@Strangelove It’s a linocut! I know I have an art thread around here somewhere, I’ll have to update it this afternoon, lol

ALSO I HECKING LOVE THAT WE CAN TAG PEOPLE NOW FFFFUUUUUUUUUUU HHHHNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

All this stuff makes me realize just how ancient our forum was :wacky:
As I'm writing this the forum just autosaved a draft of my post. THIS IS THE FUTURE. :O

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
How do you edit a post now? :huh:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
That's a bit short; what should the edit delay be? I mean on the one hand we want people to be able to fix errors, but on the other we'd rather not people post shit in a rage then edit it out and pretend it didn't happen.

Although off course there may be some older posts that need fixing. If you run into those and can't edit it yourself, please use the report system so the mods can go and fix them (by e.g. copying them from the old forums manually).

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
There's a 10 minute limit on post editing.

Is there any reason to even have a time limit on editing?

I don't think that it was ever really abused on the old forums, and for the few people that did remove old content, the mods still have access to an edit history of the post. On top of that, there are distinct advantages to make things open to edit as long as you want: If you create a thread, you can use the OP and keep it up to date over a period of time with new things as they're released which is esceptionally useful for new people checking things out for the first time, like the FFVII Mobuis Card Art. It's basically impossible with that limit put in place, unless it's managed by mods.

Putting in an editing window feels like it's just making more work for mods by not trusting users by removing permissions to something that's never been problematic before.

X :neo:

Lex

Administrator
It's just the default option, it can be changed *shrug*

There are arguments for and against keeping some sort of time limit in place but please don't imply it's a trust in members thing, that way lies resentment. Members have the ability to edit posts in their own threads which would address the thing you raised and we have had incidences in the past with people editing old posts and putting shit in. It's especially worth considering here because there's a "silent edit" option.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It's just the default option, it can be changed *shrug*

There are arguments for and against keeping some sort of time limit in place but please don't imply it's a trust in members thing, that way lies resentment. Members have the ability to edit posts in their own threads which would address the thing you raised and we have had incidences in the past with people editing old posts and putting shit in. It's especially worth considering here because there's a "silent edit" option.

I know that that way is the way of resentment, which is why I brought up that it feels like us suddenly having a new cap on editing windows after moving without prior consensus or an explanation is a trust thing. Given that I don't think it was something mentioned that'd be present when moving to the new boards in any of the threads (though I could be mistaken), I wanted to be straightforward in how the sudden appearance of a system comes off – not WHY it's actually there. It's why I split that sentence out from everything else.

Either way, it does seem like something that ought to be split out into its own thread, so that people are more aware of that it exists and what the specific functions and merits of it are. That way, it can be discussed in the open and we can reach something that we know everyone's comfortable with.

While we're on the topic, are there any other changes or other configurable feature differences like this that make sense to bring up & discuss?

X :neo:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah it has to do with the version of PHP we're running on right now; we can make it work, but we'll have to upgrade PHP, which will mean the old forums will go down (or archived differently, I could probably set up a super cheap server for it maybe). I won't mind, but we still have some older posts with Japanese in them that will have to be edited into the new forums - unless someone's already done that without mentioning it.

TL;DR we need to shut down old forums first.

Top Bottom